Never give up hope

Meet and greet members, general topics, show your stuff, recent/weekend finds.
sailman
Colemanaholic

Never give up hope

Post by sailman »

Today is a good day for me. I received a call from my local police department this morning and was told that I could come and pick up a handgun that was stolen many many years ago. The gun was recovered in 2015 they found it in the back of a toilet. That same year they recovered a stolen M1 Garand rifle that was mine as well. I inquired about that when I went to pick up the handgun but I was told that the ATF purchased that in a gun buy sting. I was told by the police department that the ATF would have to release that gun to me. so what happened about three hours later I received a phone call from my local PD and they said that it was a released back to them and I could pick it up at my convenience. The M1 was made in February of 1945 and possibly in Service in the Pacific Theater but most certainly was in Service in Korea. I had almost given up hope about these guns ever being returned especially in today's political climate.
Greg,  KN4JZZ wtb 6/11 grandson
grob
Serious Colemanaholic

Re: Never give up hope

Post by grob »

Nice historical M1 to return to you. Hope it is in good shape.
Gar
Boy, I say boy... you're about to exceed the limitations of my medication.
Nice girl, but she's 'bout as sharp as a bag o wet mice.
- Foghorn Leghorn
mksmth
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by mksmth »

that is awesome!
Mike
ICCC #2030
Coleman quick lite crew #51
275 syndicate #0429
Love flathead Ford's, tropical plants and Coleman lanterns. 
sailman
Colemanaholic

Post by sailman »

Well to quote someone more famous than me " The best battle Implement ever devised" General George Patton
DaveN

Post by DaveN »

Great to hear you got them back an original M1 with matching numbers are rare.
Jagref
Colemanaholic

Post by Jagref »

Glad to hear you got your guns back.
James Jaggers
Louisville, Ky
ICCC Member #1774
Mil Spec Syndicate #0100
275 Appreciation Syndicate #0237
Coleman Slant Saver #to be announced
macwacs
Colemanaholic

Post by macwacs »

OK, I'll keep waiting. stolen 1997
RMW
Rubing
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Rubing »

That’s great news! My ex BIL has an M1 carbine that was produced by General Motors in Flint, MI.
My son lives in a rural area and has a good sized property. The put an access road in along side his property and built a subdivision behind him. Then they constructed a rain water retention pond behind his property. A few years ago his boys were out playing by the pond and discovered a bunch of tools. Chainsaws, leaf blowers, generators, etc. My son called the sheriff’s office and they came and picked all of the stuff up.
A year later my son got a call from the sheriff’s office to come pick all of the stuff up because nobody had reported any of it stolen.
ICCC # 1402
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

Great news Greg!
-Jim

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?

Warning! Do not look into laser with remaining eye.
mgmlvks
Super Colemanaholic

Post by mgmlvks »

GREAT news Greg!!

Short version of my similar story - had a long standing run-in with a cranky old man (and I am one of those now) related to drainage off of a roadway onto his property. Bad attitude between us went on for years. At some point he came upon a group of kids trespassing, and he had his pistol with him. He could get pretty cranky and one of the kids called the cops. Kids got sent home and the cops kept the pistol. Several years after that we were (still) dealing with our issues, and he asked if I knew the Sheriff. Said yes. He asked if I could ask him (Sheriff) to get his pistol back (family heirloom story). Said sure, and it was returned to him about a month later. We were best of pals after that until he passed away a few years later.
Mike, ICCC member #1156, Slant Saver Group #011, 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0215, FAS #20 - Confusing Future Generations of Collectors One Lantern at a Time
"In order for the light to shine so brightly, the darkness must be present"Francis Bacon
(and - for those who have asked - avatar from postcard and says "Coming Home by Rail".  https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4595/2743 ... be00_z.jpg  
bowenstudios
Colemanaholic

Post by bowenstudios »

That's great to hear and yes a little amazing.

I have to ask, were they registered in your name? Im interested because a friend of my dad had all of his guns stolen and were recovered fairly quick. Problem was none were registered at all. Most were his fathers and grandfathers. Cops said he had no legal claim to them even though he had an inventory with serial numbers, atleast for the ones that were serialized. We always figured the cops got to add to their collections, also the best reason I've seen for registering the old ones.
-Mike

BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #651
Mil-SpecOps #0651
The Coleman Blue's 243's #154
sailman
Colemanaholic

Post by sailman »

bowenstudios wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:28 pm That's great to hear and yes a little amazing.

I have to ask, were they registered in your name? Im interested because a friend of my dad had all of his guns stolen and were recovered fairly quick. Problem was none were registered at all. Most were his fathers and grandfathers. Cops said he had no legal claim to them even though he had an inventory with serial numbers, atleast for the ones that were serialized. We always figured the cops got to add to their collections, also the best reason I've seen for registering the old ones.
As of right now the United States does not have a gun registration but all of them were mine and listed in the police report when it happened. The Police Department is supposed to call you and release the guns to you when all of their investigations are done because it is your property.
BSAGuy
Super Colemanaholic

Post by BSAGuy »

So glad that worked out for you, Greg. All's well that ends well.
- Courtenay
Be Prepared
outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

Nice that you got them back!

A guy I worked with had his stolen, (a couple of them did actually) but I remember one getting one recovered.

I've never had anything recovered we didn't recover ourselves (Fishing poles in a public campground... ), but thankfully no guns stolen. (knocks on wood) Stereo and CB from a rental, truck vandalized for its custom dash, My moms leaf blower from in front of my garage, My tools, box and all, from a friends car who had borrowed them. An Eisenhower Jacket at the race track, Not remembering anything else big...
[Logo%20Outlaw-half] 
Coleman Blue's 243's #341 - 275 Appreciation Syndicate member 0242
FAS #001 Confusing Future Generations of Collectors, One Lantern at a Time!

“A Human Being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, give orders, take orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook  a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.  Specialization is for insects.”            - Lazarus Long

brokenmantle
Super Colemanaholic

Post by brokenmantle »

good to hear.
bowenstudios
Colemanaholic

Post by bowenstudios »

sailman wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:52 pm
bowenstudios wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:28 pm That's great to hear and yes a little amazing.

As of right now the United States does not have a gun registration but all of them were mine and listed in the police report when it happened. The Police Department is supposed to call you and release the guns to you when all of their investigations are done because it is your property.
I understand we don't require registration, I'd say this was mostly a shady deal with the cops involved. Basically he filed the report, with the numbers and inventory. They notified him that they had been recovered but that they couldn't release them to him because he had no FFL paperwork of any kind. If he had paperwork it would prove they were his and they would have released those guns, but without it he was merely reporting a crime happened. Kind of like I can report someone stole a car, but without the registration in my name I can't receive it back if recovered. Supposedly the only option they had was to destroy them, I'm sure they are in gun safes somewhere though. But maybe not.

I'm just glad that you got yours back. There are a couple guns that would break my heart if I lost them.
-Mike

BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #651
Mil-SpecOps #0651
The Coleman Blue's 243's #154
coolmancool

Post by coolmancool »

Good For You Greg , Great Day INDEED !
Always remember, if we only save stuff & don't use the stuff , then were only Flaunting our stuff :cf_2cents: & Every Child Needs At Least 1 Fishing Rod 🏕 Howdy - Central Pa
Gasman64
Super Colemanaholic
Title: Gaseous Maximus

Post by Gasman64 »

That's great news, Greg! No doubt you wrote them off, figuring they were long gone, but what a great surprise that is!
:cf_woohoo:
Steve
ICCC #1012
South Eastern Pennsylvania
CoolPro
Colemanaholic

Post by CoolPro »

CoolPro - Kelly In Alberta
Novice Fettler
sailman
Colemanaholic

Post by sailman »

bowenstudios wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:25 am
sailman wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:52 pm

I understand we don't require registration, I'd say this was mostly a shady deal with the cops involved. Basically he filed the report, with the numbers and inventory. They notified him that they had been recovered but that they couldn't release them to him because he had no FFL paperwork of any kind. If he had paperwork it would prove they were his and they would have released those guns, but without it he was merely reporting a crime happened. Kind of like I can report someone stole a car, but without the registration in my name I can't receive it back if recovered. Supposedly the only option they had was to destroy them, I'm sure they are in gun safes somewhere though. But maybe not.

I'm just glad that you got yours back. There are a couple guns that would break my heart if I lost them.
In this case what I would have done would have been to go and seek the advice of a lawyer. This does sounds kind of fishy to me. Anyway I picked up the M1 Garand this morning and it wasn't very pretty so tomorrow it's off to the gunsmith. It's covered in about 50 to 65% rust I'm going to get him to just conserve the rifle and not restore it because it was made in 45 and it wasn't you when I got it. When I purchase the rifle it had about 75 to 80% of the parkerizing left on the rifle and more than likely it had been Arsenal reconditioned in its life at some point.
it's not like it was a numbers matching gun anyway.