Oldest man-made object I own.

Meet and greet members, general topics, show your stuff, recent/weekend finds.
Loganeffecto
Serious Colemanaholic

Oldest man-made object I own.

Post by Loganeffecto »

I know we like old things here so I thought I’d show. I am not including arrowheads here as I haven’t a clue on those. This is a Roman coin struck in the image of emperor Constantius II who ruled from 337-361. I am not a coin expert but I believe it was made by the Heraclea mint but things get confusing after that. I live in a state barely over 100 years old so these kinds of things fascinate me. This was a little tricky to photograph. Bonus: The Roosevelt I pulled out of my backyard with the metal detector. Free silver is good silver.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Logan, formerly known as Fester. (It means to rot)
Stovie
Colemanaholic

Re: Oldest man made object I own.

Post by Stovie »

Wow, that's amazing. I've always admired those tetradrachms with the owl, some of those thpes of coins. They are probably a bit out of my budget.
coolmancool

Re: Oldest man-made object I own.

Post by coolmancool »

Cool Man, I Like It Logan, Did The Roman Coin Come From Your Yard Also ?
Always remember, if we only save stuff & don't use the stuff , then were only Flaunting our stuff :cf_2cents: & Every Child Needs At Least 1 Fishing Rod 🏕 Howdy - Central Pa
Loganeffecto
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Loganeffecto »

coolmancool wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:16 am Cool Man, I Like It Logan, Did The Roman Coin Come From Your Yard Also ?
😂 sure did
outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Re: Oldest man made object I own.

Post by outlawmws »

Cool Coin! I LOVE old stuff like that!

Hmmmm trying to think what my oldest thing is..

1850's derringer, or maybe the old 1850's Solingen Sword? (- C. R. Kirschbaum & Company Germany, only it wasn't Germany then...) Some of the tools may be older but many I don't have a clue on for exact age - maybe my biggest screw clamp - Wooden screws... maybe an old primitive lock hasp hanging on the wall next to me (even has the key), I have books from at least the mid 1850's possibly earlier?
[Logo%20Outlaw-half] 
Coleman Blue's 243's #341 - 275 Appreciation Syndicate member 0242
FAS #001 Confusing Future Generations of Collectors, One Lantern at a Time!

“A Human Being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, give orders, take orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook  a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.  Specialization is for insects.”            - Lazarus Long

outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

Daughter just pulled out her 1853 book on "Haps and Mishaps" about touring Europe! An 1856 Don Quixote is mine. Nothing Roman or similar age... I'm SURE I have some older books.
[Logo%20Outlaw-half] 
Coleman Blue's 243's #341 - 275 Appreciation Syndicate member 0242
FAS #001 Confusing Future Generations of Collectors, One Lantern at a Time!

“A Human Being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, give orders, take orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook  a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.  Specialization is for insects.”            - Lazarus Long

1hpycmpr
Super Colemanaholic

Post by 1hpycmpr »

That is really neat, Logan. The dime looks to be nice condition considering it was buried in the back yard. Is the indentation on the front also on the back?
Mark
*Stargazer*
Loganeffecto
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Loganeffecto »

1hpycmpr wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:51 am That is really neat, Logan. The dime looks to be nice condition considering it was buried in the back yard. Is the indentation on the front also on the back?
Just on the front, Mark. US Silver coins were of very nice quality and often come out of the ground looking new.
Loganeffecto
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Loganeffecto »

I deal in a lot of books and have some early ones in my collection. Earliest is 1726. One you cross into the 1600’s they get very pricey!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
smarti
Colemanaholic

Post by smarti »

Mine would be an Indian grinding stone. After that, a 1790 book on surveying. First one ever printed in the US.
It was Love at first light!!! Scott
1hpycmpr
Super Colemanaholic

Post by 1hpycmpr »

Logan, that last title page is wonderful...Crumbs of Comfort...perfect.
You have some very nice treasures!
Mark
*Stargazer*
Sandman
Colemanaholic

Post by Sandman »

My wifes family homesteaded the farms around here......so over the years accumulated a sizable collection of arrowheads, points, mastodon parts.....my wife took collection to MSU one time and archeologist was pretty excited when he was sorting points out.....most were hundreds of yrs old....then he picked one up & said this one is 7000-8000 yrs old......hard to fathom something that old

ICCC  #1869
Coleman Quick-lite crew #25
Coleman Blues 243 #158
Coleman 275 appreciation #0232