Ole’ Fishin’ Reels

Meet and greet members, general topics, show your stuff, recent/weekend finds.
Leviticus_Tomethreus
Super Colemanaholic

Ole’ Fishin’ Reels

Post by Leviticus_Tomethreus »

Hey all! Wondering if anybody here likes fishing and uses old reels? I used one new reel, and like the three generations of Tomey’s before, I threw it away! Pulled out my trusty Zebco 33 (from before 1968 of course) and I threw a worm and a bobber out into the pond. I believe it was before 1968 when the Zebco 33 was so great. Not sure when they started making them icky. All the Zebcos I have are nearly the same. With my research, all before 1968, like I said, and they have dang near all steel construction. Them steel gears ain’t never gonna break! I have a picture of great grandpa holding a 20 pound catfish next to his trusty Zebco he pulled it in on. Go to the Zebco website and look at the history section. Some crazy stuff there. I believe president Eisenhower loved them back when they were the Zero Hour Bomb Co, so when they got it in the mail at the White House, they threw it in a bucket of water and called the bomb squad. I personally think they are the best reel on the planet. My brother thinks otherwise. He likes new baitcasters. Ick! Although, I do see him getting $20 lures stuck in trees across a big pond, so I figured I would give em a try. Can’t use any new junk though. Went to a local antique place (super sweet place) that I knew had old baitcasters (pre 70s at least). Grabbed me a couple good ones for $30 a pop. I tell ya what, these things are smooth as butter. From all these stories I get from my brother, they’re a heck of a lot simpler than new ones too. 3 gears VS 7 bearings and a bunch of screws. I’ll never give up the ole family heirloom Zebcos though. That’s for sure!
CDC73C5F-2822-4A27-905D-C5D80B12487B.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My friends don’t call me “Lantern/lampie Levi” for nothin’,if they did call me that.
Looking for bday lanterns 8/38, 8/41,
10/25, and 8/07
The biggest lie I tell myself is ”I don’t need to write that down, I’ll remember it.”
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing everyday” -A.A. Milne
Now officially ICCC member #1995. Most likely the youngest member with a registered name.

You guessed it, Levi Tomey 
Leviticus_Tomethreus
Super Colemanaholic

Re: Ole’ Fishin’ Reels

Interesting. I was totally wrong. Watches a YouTube video and the guy says that steel gears were 1968-1972. Before that it was all brass gears and no anti reverse. I do have a good few of those too.
My friends don’t call me “Lantern/lampie Levi” for nothin’,if they did call me that.
10/25, and 8/07
The biggest lie I tell myself is ”I don’t need to write that down, I’ll remember it.”
Now officially ICCC member #1995. Most likely the youngest member with a registered name.

austin65uri
Super Colemanaholic

Post by austin65uri »

Nothing wrong with a Zebco, and interesting post Levi. But--- many of us think that if you can't learn how to use a fly reel, bait casting reel, or an open faced spinning reel, you end up with a closed faced spinner like a Zebco. :D
Bill.
ICCC#1601
"Small earth, big universe!"
Leviticus_Tomethreus
Super Colemanaholic

austin65uri wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:11 am Nothing wrong with a Zebco, and interesting post Levi. But--- many of us think that if you can't learn how to use a fly reel, bait casting reel, or an open faced spinning reel, you end up with a closed faced spinner like a Zebco. :D
Haha. Because Zebco is the best! Zebco was the first spincast reel! Zebco’s are the simplest. Never buying a new reel. Ever. If I can’t use these old bait casters or an old spinning reel, I’m gonna walk into a flea market and pick up a nice Zebco for $3! I truly believe they are the king. Guy I saw on YouTube says you can feather them though. Hm. Must be a real pro.
10/25, and 8/07

kellyblues
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by kellyblues »

Yeah man, love me some old reels, especially Zebco's. The one pictured below is the second one I got in this life. The first one went to the bottom of Alley Creek on Lake-o-the-pines in Texas around 1975. Daddy tied a rope to this one and the other end to a belt loop on my britches. About 10 years ago my older brother discovered it mixed in with our dads old rod and reels. ( And there's some nice vintage ones too) but it was missing the eye on the end. He took it to a rod repair shop in Jacksonville and had a period correct eye retied on the end along with having them all retied and re-glassed. He gave it to me on my birthday that year. The cork is original. I landed my first large fish with it when I was 7. It was a 5.5lb stripe bass. I still use this rod and reel, it's perfect for crappie. I'm 51 now and people usually look at me funny when I get this out. I normally say " Get off of me, I've had this since I was a kid" lol. My gf has it placed for decor in the house when it's not in use.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by kellyblues on Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Milspec syndicate #0044
ICCC member # 1154

Have a heritage lantern for trade only. Pm me if interested

Still learning how NOT to do things.
Leviticus_Tomethreus
Super Colemanaholic

kellyblues wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:21 am Yeah man, love me some old reels, especially Zebco's. The one pictured below is the second one I got in this life. The first one went to the bottom of Alley Creek on Lake-o-the-pines in Texas around 1975. Daddy tied a rope to this one and the other end to a belt loop on my britches. About 10 years ago my older brother discovered it mixed in with our dads old rod and reels. ( And there's some nice vintage ones too) but it was missing the eye on the end. He took it to a rod repair shop in Jacksonville and had a period correct eye retied on the end along with having them all retied and re-glassed. He gave it to me on my birthday that year. The cork is original. I cought my first large fish with it when I was 7. It was a 5.5lb stripe bass. I still use this rod and reel, it's perfect for crappie. I'm 51 now and people usually look at me funny when I get this out. I normally say " Get off of me, I've had this since I was a kid" lol. My gf has it placed for decor in the house when it's not in use.
Nice! That’s one of the 1956 zebcos!
10/25, and 8/07

kellyblues
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by kellyblues »

Leviticus_Tomethreus wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:04 pm
kellyblues wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:21 am Yeah man, love me some old reels, especially Zebco's. The one pictured below is the second one I got in this life. The first one went to the bottom of Alley Creek on Lake-o-the-pines in Texas around 1975. Daddy tied a rope to this one and the other end to a belt loop on my britches. About 10 years ago my older brother discovered it mixed in with our dads old rod and reels. ( And there's some nice vintage ones too) but it was missing the eye on the end. He took it to a rod repair shop in Jacksonville and had a period correct eye retied on the end along with having them all retied and re-glassed. He gave it to me on my birthday that year. The cork is original. I cought my first large fish with it when I was 7. It was a 5.5lb stripe bass. I still use this rod and reel, it's perfect for crappie. I'm 51 now and people usually look at me funny when I get this out. I normally say " Get off of me, I've had this since I was a kid" lol. My gf has it placed for decor in the house when it's not in use.
Nice! That’s one of the 1956 zebcos!
Thanks! Yeah that's an original 33. Still works flawlessly
Milspec syndicate #0044
ICCC member # 1154

Have a heritage lantern for trade only. Pm me if interested

Still learning how NOT to do things.
Whitegas Extraordinaire
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Whitegas Extraordinaire »

Old fishing gear is good. I was returning from a mission yesterday and stopped by what I thought was a junk store every time I drove buy. Well some of the storage looks to be full of junk but the main building is organized better and full of treasures at realistic prices. There was a nice old fishing related piece there that I may return for next week.

Thank you!
Kevin

I may frighten easily!
My current shade is Coleman!!
To me a lamp without a shade is creepy!

ICCC # 1865

smarti
Colemanaholic

Post by smarti »

One of my favorites is the Pflueger Summit 1993L. Heavily engraved and jeweled. Beautiful baitcasting reel.
Pflueger summit with stuff.jpg
Last edited by smarti on Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It was Love at first light!!! Scott
immrbill

Post by immrbill »

Still have my Johnson Century I got from eating Wheaties and sending in boxtops back in th 60's
Leviticus_Tomethreus
Super Colemanaholic

immrbill wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:34 pm Still have my Johnson Century I got from eating Wheaties and sending in boxtops back in th 60's
Haha. Box tops. Haven’t acknowledged them in a while. Sounds like a keeper!
10/25, and 8/07

Vintageish

Post by Vintageish »

Got Zebco's. More coming soon. Only smoked one on a big fish.
Johnson century's too.

Vintage Mitchell 300's , one in particular , have caught a boatload of fish. (My only boat left is my oldest at twelve feet , so that's only a ton or so of fish).

Other reels come and go or hit a box.
I try to keep up and give them a cleaning and going over and keep known good ones separate. My best repair was straightening a bent shaft on an open face. Just rolling it on a table edge to study wobble , and gently working at bending it back repeatedly.

I have on reserve one little Zebco rod and reel with the reel built into the handle that is similar to the first non canepole outfits us kids got ahold of at Grandma/Grandpa's.
A little hook shaped piece for a finger grip and latch.
We kept them things snarled up...L.o.l..
Purty colors. Well , cept'n maybe that brown when it's on fire...
brucesheehe
Super Colemanaholic
Title: ECCENTRIC BLOCKHEAD

Post by brucesheehe »

Coleman used to market fishing reels too, many years ago. They had jewels at friction points - bait casting.
Last edited by brucesheehe on Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce Sheehe, aka ECCENTRIC BLOCKHEAD
ICCC #889 - Connoisseur of Time, Friends, Leisure, & Coleman   Altoona, PA - The Mountain City - Near The Eastern USA Continental Divide
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

Post by SteveRetherford »

sitting here next to me are 3 no 4 ice chests filled to the brim with old fishing reels i keep meaning to put on the bay . one has some kind of a line counter , tells you how many feet of line you have out .

im a fisherman , but these arent so much for modern fishing in my eyes , but for collector displays . but what do i know !!!

Oh there is a 5th ice chest full , im tellin ya its a LOT Of em !!!
[DrSteve2]    Steve , Keeper of the Light !!!
Whitegas Extraordinaire
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Whitegas Extraordinaire »

SteveRetherford wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:15 am sitting here next to me are 3 no 4 ice chests filled to the brim with old fishing reels i keep meaning to put on the bay . one has some kind of a line counter , tells you how many feet of line you have out .

im a fisherman , but these arent so much for modern fishing in my eyes , but for collector displays . but what do i know !!!

Oh there is a 5th ice chest full , im tellin ya its a LOT Of em !!!
Line counters, let’s see them!

Thank you!
Kevin

I may frighten easily!
My current shade is Coleman!!
To me a lamp without a shade is creepy!

ICCC # 1865

Rubing
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Rubing »

I like my old Johnson reels. I have acquired a few more since this pic was taken including a side winder
ICCC # 1402
brucesheehe
Super Colemanaholic
Title: ECCENTRIC BLOCKHEAD

Post by brucesheehe »

It is just so nice to use those old Johnson and Zebco push button reels for some relaxing shore fishing.
Bruce Sheehe, aka ECCENTRIC BLOCKHEAD
ICCC #889 - Connoisseur of Time, Friends, Leisure, & Coleman   Altoona, PA - The Mountain City - Near The Eastern USA Continental Divide
3rdgenuser
Colemanaholic

Post by 3rdgenuser »

hi
i use a mid to late 50's south bend #1400 model B closed face spinner. dad found it beside the road back when it was newish. it has been my fishing companion since i got a nice rod to put it on 50 years ago. yup, still using the rod too
steve
Loganeffecto
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Loganeffecto »

Zebcos were built up road from me and they had a factory outlet before everything went overseas 😔. I still love me a spincast but spinning reels have greatly eclipsed them in many ways. Gotta love the old 33s though. Just couldn’t kill them.
Last edited by Loganeffecto on Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Logan, formerly known as Fester. (It means to rot)
1hpycmpr
Super Colemanaholic

Post by 1hpycmpr »

Sometime I use my Mom’s old Johnson or Dad’s Garcia Mitchell 300. My Zebco reel I used as a kid is long gone. My main user is an old ultra light Shimano that has caught many of meals while backpacking through the mountains.
Mark
*Stargazer*
Rubing
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Rubing »

I pick them up for cheap when I can at fleas.
Rear to front Century 100A, Century 40th anniversary, Century 100B, Century 100B, Century 100B, Century 100, Citation 110B, Model 40 sidewinder
Last edited by Rubing on Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
ICCC # 1402
outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

Had a closed face caster when I was a kid. Got a Mitchel 300 and never looked back. Most others since are open face. I never did do more than tangle a bait caster when I was a kid, and no one I knew used 'em, so no one to teach me.
[Logo%20Outlaw-half] 
Coleman Blue's 243's #341 - 275 Appreciation Syndicate member 0242
FAS #001 Confusing Future Generations of Collectors, One Lantern at a Time!

“A Human Being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, give orders, take orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook  a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.  Specialization is for insects.”            - Lazarus Long

74HARLEY
Super Colemanaholic

Post by 74HARLEY »

I used to have a few Zebcos, I may have to look one of these days.
However, I still have a collection of Airex reels, they work really nice.
Joe
looking for 200a 11-56,9-77,2-65 Coleman 275 appreciation syndicate member #0004 ICCC #1262
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #19
Frank appreciation syndicate member #9
Sasquatchian Nightmare

Post by Sasquatchian Nightmare »

I have a couple of Mitchell 300s, Dawia silver series and a South Bend fly reel in the weekend rotation
Bob1774
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Bob1774 »

Fun post. Like lanterns, some of the vintage pieces from the past are more enjoyable, and fun to fettle.
However, a few years ago, I gave my granddaughter a Shakespeare "Barbie," fishing pole. Not a bad little reel, with a nice drag. First cast with a night crawler, this is what she caught, after I finally convinced her that the color of the bobber was not important...
It was too big for her to reel in, so I helped, but she stayed with the pole the whole time. I explained to her that adults have spent10's of thousands of dollars on boats, gear, and trips, and have never caught a large mouth bass that big!

I keep that rod/reel in my bar along with this photo. I hope she gives the rod to her future daughter one day.
Bob
williamlee111
Colemanaholic

Post by williamlee111 »

The Mitchell 300 on the right was my Dad's. The reel on the left is mine. Pop won my reel at a fishing contest at his work and gave it to me. He used to take me fishing with him every opening day when the high lakes opened up in April in Oregon during the 50's. . I started using my reel in the 4th grade, (around 956). It's the only reel I ever used. My Dad passed away in 1979. I keep these in his fishing tackle box. I haven't been fishing since.
IMG_1466.jpg
Not looking for anything. I have too much already, my wife says. 

Bill