Fount vice

Meet and greet members, general topics, show your stuff, recent/weekend finds.
kellyblues
Serious Colemanaholic

Fount vice

Post by kellyblues »

Looking for feedback / opinions on the demand for a fount vice.

I'm pondering either making some or having them made. The thing is they won't be cheap to make so they won't be a cheap date to buy one. Got mine from Ernie Hiatt years ago and I know what his cost was then and what he sold them for. Wasn't much of a profit margin and that's okay. Enough to pay for some of the time involved. By the time you make the vice it's self, the insert ring for the 520/530 stoves and a ring for peek items it's going to be around a $300 end cost if not a little more. I haven't really gotten too far into the cost to make them with current prices yet. If I make them I'd only do a handful. To have them cast by someone else I'd probably do a batch of 50. 50 is what Ernie started with.

Thoughts?
Milspec syndicate #0044
ICCC member # 1154

Have a heritage lantern for trade only. Pm me if interested

Still learning how NOT to do things.
Mister_Wilson
Super Colemanaholic

Re: Fount vice

Post by Mister_Wilson »

So, you’re looking at casting rather than machining?
John
H.C. Lanterns dealer
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #2001 A Turd's Odyssey
Canadian Blues #028
Coleman Slant Saver #31
Looking for 6-56 and 6-58 Birthday lanterns.
There's been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about.
kellyblues
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by kellyblues »

Mister_Wilson wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:02 pm So, you’re looking at casting rather than machining?
Short answer, yes. There's still machining involved after casting of course. I had one from a Coleman repair shop that was probably made in the early 70's. It was cast. The ones Ernie had made were cast. I still have one of his. But again I haven't dug too far into cost yet. CNC has come a long way in the last 10 years.
Milspec syndicate #0044
ICCC member # 1154

EARL

Post by EARL »

Not a profitable endeavor or it would have already been done. There is a good set of instructions in the tech archives of a members wood vise fount clamp. Much cheaper and simpler to build. I built a copy for less than 5 bucks and it just works fine.
couple of years ago someone offered aluminum machined vises on da 'bay. very good quality made but very much more than a hobbyist would need .
kellyblues
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by kellyblues »

EARL wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:22 pm Not a profitable endeavor or it would have already been done. There is a good set of instructions in the tech archives of a members wood vise fount clamp. Much cheaper and simpler to build. I built a copy for less than 5 bucks and it just works fine.
couple of years ago someone offered aluminum machined vises on da 'bay. very good quality made but very much more than a hobbyist would need .
Thank you for your feedback!

It has been done, that's how I know it's not an endeavor to take on for profit. I'm familiar with the instructions you mentioned. There's been several versions shared over the years here and most of which work very well. But there's some definite advantages to a compact aluminum vice. I got one from Ernie years ago and wouldn't trade it for anything.
Milspec syndicate #0044
ICCC member # 1154