Ultimate USFS display item?

Meet and greet members, general topics, show your stuff, recent/weekend finds.
smarti
Colemanaholic

Ultimate USFS display item?

Post by smarti »

Besides my USFS lanterns and a bucket stamped USFS, I don't have much to go with the display. A post on the "Collections/Restorations" thread showed a USFS lock. Turns out they don't give those away either. At least not with a key. Then I found this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Forest-Serv ... _cvip=true

I would have paid that, cause that is cool.
It was Love at first light!!! Scott
74HARLEY
Super Colemanaholic

Re: Ultimate USFS display item?

Post by 74HARLEY »

That was really cool! I am looking for a few things to display as well.
Joe
looking for 200a 11-56,9-77,2-65 Coleman 275 appreciation syndicate member #0004 ICCC #1262
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #19
Frank appreciation syndicate member #9
Rubing
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Rubing »

That is really cool but the $$$
ICCC # 1402
gpaguy
Colemanaholic

Post by gpaguy »

That call box is cool.
I have one of the FS. Locks that has the pine tree on it. There was an Ebay seller in Canada that was selling the reproduction keys for the FS locks. Apparently those locks all took the same key.

John
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

gpaguy wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:46 am That call box is cool.
I have one of the FS. Locks that has the pine tree on it. There was an Ebay seller in Canada that was selling the reproduction keys for the FS locks. Apparently those locks all took the same key.
All USFS Yale locks throughout the country used/still use the same key. I wish I hadn't lost mine.
It's priceless until someone puts a price on it.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Texan's last words: "Y'all--hold my beer--I wanta' try sumptin'."
Timm--Middle of nowhere, near the end of the road, Oregon.
Whitegas Extraordinaire
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Whitegas Extraordinaire »

smarti wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:20 am Besides my USFS lanterns and a bucket stamped USFS, I don't have much to go with the display. A post on the "Collections/Restorations" thread showed a USFS lock. Turns out they don't give those away either. At least not with a key. Then I found this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Forest-Serv ... _cvip=true

I would have paid that, cause that is cool.
I would love to see other examples of that style USFS call box.

Thank you!
Kevin

I may frighten easily!
My current shade is Coleman!!
To me a lamp without a shade is creepy!

ICCC # 1865

BSAGuy
Super Colemanaholic

Post by BSAGuy »

That's one epic call box. Thanks for the link.
- Courtenay
Be Prepared
A50Chris

Post by A50Chris »

Seriously doubt this was made for or used by the U.S. Forest Service. The FS plate on the front of the box is authentic. The phone would have been inside the box rather than outside. So far as I am aware the Forest Service did not place too many phones in outside locations but usually inside lookouts, guard stations etc. FS employees carried some kind of portable phone to connect to the lines in the woods. The seller has for sale an "American Red Cross Call Box." Company is imaginative if nothing else.
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

A50Chris wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:08 am Seriously doubt this was made for or used by the U.S. Forest Service. The FS plate on the front of the box is authentic. The phone would have been inside the box rather than outside. So far as I am aware the Forest Service did not place too many phones in outside locations but usually inside lookouts, guard stations etc. FS employees carried some kind of portable phone to connect to the lines in the woods. The seller has for sale an "American Red Cross Call Box." Company is imaginative if nothing else.
Sadly, yeah, this^
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Northman49
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Northman49 »

I don't understand why the light is mounted on the box. Looks to me it should be an outdoor item but the unprotected phone doesn't make sense. Is the light tied in with the ringer?. Did the light flash also when ringing? Still...a neat looking antique.
She was only a moonshiner's daughter, but I loved her still.

I keep my tools sharp...but my mind sharper!
  Ed
                 ICCC no.1880
                 CANADIAN BLUES Member #023

Mil-spec ops #1982
DougA
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by DougA »

Pure hokum. That phone would not have been mounted outside the box. Gamewell made telephone boxes, but the handsets (and usually only a handset, no dial) would be inside the box.
DougA  ... fettler and keeper of a family collection of nickel: a 249, a pair of 237s, and a 1938 228B, along with a late 1979 red 200a.  Then two more turned up, a 1941 243A and a 1944 242C, and now there's a b-day 200A lantern, too!.
Coleman Blues Member #92.
BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #009.
Perfection Heater Collectors #5 
MartyJ
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by MartyJ »

Gunhippie wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:48 am
A50Chris wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:08 am Seriously doubt this was made for or used by the U.S. Forest Service. The FS plate on the front of the box is authentic. The phone would have been inside the box rather than outside. So far as I am aware the Forest Service did not place too many phones in outside locations but usually inside lookouts, guard stations etc. FS employees carried some kind of portable phone to connect to the lines in the woods. The seller has for sale an "American Red Cross Call Box." Company is imaginative if nothing else.
Sadly, yeah, this^
I’m in agreement, another fantasy EBay item.
Marty
gpaguy
Colemanaholic

Post by gpaguy »

I feel I've seen this item before or one like it.

John
vmax29

Post by vmax29 »

That is an interesting looking phone be it real or not. I wonder what was used in the fire towers for communication back in the 30s 40s. There must have been some type of phone or radio to signal an alarm.

On a side note I remember reading a story a while back about a USFS fire tower that caught fire due to a fuel spill from a lantern.
Sean

Jackson NJ
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

vmax29 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:53 pm That is an interesting looking phone be it real or not. I wonder what was used in the fire towers for communication back in the 30s 40s. There must have been some type of phone or radio to signal an alarm.

On a side note I remember reading a story a while back about a USFS fire tower that caught fire due to a fuel spill from a lantern.
There were many thousands of miles of single-strand copper wire strung through the woods. Much of it was still hanging when I was a kid.

I once met a guy who had a contract (or so he said) with the USFS to collect the wire for salvage. He spent half the day walking through the woods shooting the insulators off the trees with a .22, then jacked the back of his truck up, chained one wheel to lock it, removed the other and installed a split-rim. He used that to spool up about a quarter mile of wire. He'd split the rim and remove the spooled wire and start over again.

A look0out tower or ranger station would have a single hand piece--no dial--with hand-cranked magneto to make the call. The main office had a switchboard that let them know what station they were talking to. As mentioned above, rangers would also carry a hand-held unit they could simply clip to the wires strung through the woods.
vmax29

Post by vmax29 »

Great information! Thanks for that reply. The split wheel method to collect the wire is great thinking.

I remember my dad telling me about stringing communication wire in Italy during WWII and how the enemy planes would strafe the area when they saw the bare copper wire. They eventually took to blackening the wire with a campfire so it was less visible to the aircraft.
Sean

Jackson NJ
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

Can you imagine being the guy who cruised all those miles of wire, splicing breaks after the winter and every storm? Probably carried about a hundred lbs of gear! Saw, axe, hammer, spare wire, spare insulators....
DougA
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by DougA »

vmax29 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:53 pmThat is an interesting looking phone be it real or not.
The phone bolted to the call box is definitely real, it just wasn't used like that, nor was that color. Called various names like a "Spacesaver" and a "hanging handset" the telephone manufacturers each had their version of it. One of the most common applications was mounted to the side of a desk or table to "save space" on the desk top. There had to be a separate bell box mounted nearby because there was no room inside the mounting for a bell or other telephone innards. Automatic Electric's version did have the internal induction coil, but still there was no room for a bell, the Western Electric version had nothing but the hookswitch inside it.
DougA  ... fettler and keeper of a family collection of nickel: a 249, a pair of 237s, and a 1938 228B, along with a late 1979 red 200a.  Then two more turned up, a 1941 243A and a 1944 242C, and now there's a b-day 200A lantern, too!.
Coleman Blues Member #92.
BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #009.
Perfection Heater Collectors #5