OT: Old Phone Phreaks--What do I do with this?

Meet and greet members, general topics, show your stuff, recent/weekend finds.
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

OT: Old Phone Phreaks--What do I do with this?

Post by Gunhippie »

A kid who works in the brewery brought this in yesterday, I guess because I didn't have one in the shop:

I know it's an old hand-crank phone generator. I tested it and it puts out between 27 and 40 VAC depending on how fast I crank.

I remember folks using these to hunt worms and to, well, just shock the heck out of each other. Any other uses for one?
It's priceless until someone puts a price on it.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Texan's last words: "Y'all--hold my beer--I wanta' try sumptin'."
Timm--Middle of nowhere, near the end of the road, Oregon.
LoganS54
Colemanaholic

Re: OT: Old Phone Phreaks--What do I do with this?

Post by LoganS54 »

Shock Fish?? Which is illegal so I wouldn't recommend.
Logan Sumler
 For thy word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.
Psalms 119:105
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

I forgot about fishing! Forget the worms, just go straight to the source!

Reminds me that I used to get paid by the USFS to shock fish. Not easy as they're kinda' blase about most things.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
LoganS54
Colemanaholic

Post by LoganS54 »

That would be a fun job!
Logan Sumler
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

If you consider walking up the middle of a stream in heavy waders with 50-60 lb of fish shocker and battery (or generator) on your back in mid-summer fun... well, I have had worse jobs.
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

When I was really young, my brother had one. It worked on light bulbs with fast enough cranking. I was sooo upset when he gave that toy away.
-Jim

I threw a boomerang a couple years ago; I now live in constant fear.

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?
Coast_to_Coast
Colemanaholic

Post by Coast_to_Coast »

Looks like something you could have fun with on the patio at the brewery.
-Bird- Wisconsin
“I don’t want another lantern, I just want the last one again”
ICCC#1776     The Coleman Blue‘s 243’s #143
LoganS54
Colemanaholic

Post by LoganS54 »

Gunhippie wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:41 pm If you consider walking up the middle of a stream in heavy waders with 50-60 lb of fish shocker and battery (or generator) on your back in mid-summer fun... well, I have had worse jobs.
Well I see them doing it from boats now.
Logan Sumler
Coast_to_Coast
Colemanaholic

Post by Coast_to_Coast »

That reminded me of this old quack medical kit I found and grandpa’s workshop after he died. He was an electrician and dragged home all kinds of stuff he thought he could use for parts. I never did try it out on anyone.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Bird- Wisconsin
“I don’t want another lantern, I just want the last one again”
ICCC#1776     The Coleman Blue‘s 243’s #143
Leviticus_Tomethreus
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Leviticus_Tomethreus »

Muahaha! Muahahaha!!!! Hand crank LED lantern.........
My friends don’t call me “Lantern/lampie Levi” for nothin’,if they did call me that.
Looking for bday lanterns 8/38, 8/41,
10/25, and 8/07
The biggest lie I tell myself is ”I don’t need to write that down, I’ll remember it.”
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing everyday” -A.A. Milne
Now officially ICCC member #1995. Most likely the youngest member with a registered name.

You guessed it, Levi Tomey 
1hpycmpr
Super Colemanaholic

Post by 1hpycmpr »

Coast_to_Coast wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:07 pm Looks like something you could have fun with on the patio at the brewery.
Exactly! A free beer to the person that reaches a the highest voltage! Everyone at the table gets one turn. 🍻
Mark
*Stargazer*
mgmlvks
Super Colemanaholic

Post by mgmlvks »

Leviticus_Tomethreus wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:22 pm Muahaha! Muahahaha!!!! Hand crank LED lantern.........
Yep, charge the battery for the LED with the crank. Endless possibilities!
Mike, ICCC member #1156, Slant Saver Group #011, 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0215, FAS #20 - Confusing Future Generations of Collectors One Lantern at a Time
"In order for the light to shine so brightly, the darkness must be present"Francis Bacon
(and - for those who have asked - avatar from postcard and says "Coming Home by Rail".  https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4595/2743 ... be00_z.jpg  
Leviticus_Tomethreus
Super Colemanaholic

mgmlvks wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:37 pm
Leviticus_Tomethreus wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:22 pm Muahaha! Muahahaha!!!! Hand crank LED lantern.........
Yep, charge the battery for the LED with the crank. Endless possibilities!
Nah. Just straight crank. Hahah. Have to crank it the whole time!
My friends don’t call me “Lantern/lampie Levi” for nothin’,if they did call me that.
10/25, and 8/07
The biggest lie I tell myself is ”I don’t need to write that down, I’ll remember it.”
Now officially ICCC member #1995. Most likely the youngest member with a registered name.

BSAGuy
Super Colemanaholic

Post by BSAGuy »

My grandfather was an old school phone lineman. He kept a generator exactly like that on his workbench as a conversation piece. Man, that brings back memories, Timm. Now I am wondering whatever happened to that...
- Courtenay
Be Prepared
DougA
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by DougA »

It might actually be putting out more than 27-40 VAC since the frequency out of phone mags is in the 17-20 Hz range, and mod'ren DVMs have trouble measuring AC voltage lower than 60 Hz accurately, especially when it gets down into the phone ringer range.

Don't put your tongue across the terminals ... ;)
DougA  ... fettler and keeper of a family collection of nickel: a 249, a pair of 237s, and a 1938 228B, along with a late 1979 red 200a.  Then two more turned up, a 1941 243A and a 1944 242C, and now there's a b-day 200A lantern, too!.
Coleman Blues Member #92.
BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #009.
Perfection Heater Collectors #5 
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

>> I never did try it out on anyone.

Coast_to_Coast,

What could possibly go wrong? :)
-Jim

I threw a boomerang a couple years ago; I now live in constant fear.

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?
REJ2
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by REJ2 »

Coast_to_Coast wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:18 pm That reminded me of this old quack medical kit I found and grandpa’s workshop after he died. He was an electrician and dragged home all kinds of stuff he thought he could use for parts. I never did try it out on anyone.
The first defibrillator, or in the alternative, a polygraph which would make it a defibber.
Bob    ICCC #1574
Never, ever, leave behind a $5 lamp
Perfection Heater Collectors # 7 --- Coleman Slant Saver #63
MilSpecOps Syndicate #016 --- Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0131 --- Coleman Blues 243 #86
BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #047 --- Coleman Quick-Lite Crew #23 --- Gold Bond Collector #21
Rfieldbuilds
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Rfieldbuilds »

I think ring voltage is 105V.
Last edited by Rfieldbuilds on Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Randy
QL #15, Slant Saver #59, #0269 Turd Hurdler, #0269 Mil Spec Syndicate, Coleman Blues 243 #0269, BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #072, Sears Traveler 2.0 Host #1, and a few others too.
DougA
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by DougA »

Rfieldbuilds wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:01 am I think ring voltage is 105 V.
Modern ring voltage is a nominal 90V, but out of the magnetos with new magnets it was more like 65-80.
DougA  ... fettler and keeper of a family collection of nickel: a 249, a pair of 237s, and a 1938 228B, along with a late 1979 red 200a.  Then two more turned up, a 1941 243A and a 1944 242C, and now there's a b-day 200A lantern, too!.
Coleman Blues Member #92.
BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #009.
Perfection Heater Collectors #5 
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

LoganS54 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:10 pm
Gunhippie wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:41 pm If you consider walking up the middle of a stream in heavy waders with 50-60 lb of fish shocker and battery (or generator) on your back in mid-summer fun... well, I have had worse jobs.
Well I see them doing it from boats now.
Those are permanent employees. Office guys getting out for a spin in the boat. We seasonals lugged the gear up a river or stream on foot. To add insult to injury, the pack frames used to mount the electro-fishing rigs were Coleman Peak 1 plastic frames. Only the US military ever designed any more unpleasant way to carry weight on one's back.
Last edited by Gunhippie on Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

Simple use Timm, set it up so it can be cranked from outside (extension - hole in wall...) and hook it up to an old phone bell -

Doorbell!
[Logo%20Outlaw-half] 
Coleman Blue's 243's #341 - 275 Appreciation Syndicate member 0242
FAS #001 Confusing Future Generations of Collectors, One Lantern at a Time!

“A Human Being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, give orders, take orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook  a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.  Specialization is for insects.”            - Lazarus Long

MartyJ
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by MartyJ »

A long time ago I collected crank phones. Still have a few stashed somewhere. If you ever was cranking one of those generators and got you hand across the output, you knew it quick. Not a lot of volts but definitely some amps. The old wall phones were nice simple technology like lanterns and stoves and would easily work still if you cleaned them up. Outlaws idea of a service bell would be easy to do.
Marty
Dmacp
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Dmacp »

and got you hand across the output, you knew it quick
had that experience as a boy. Hard to hang on to. Courtesy of a neighbor kid a bit older than I
Dan
ICCC member #604
Leviticus_Tomethreus
Super Colemanaholic

Oooh. Put spincast fishing reel guts in it!
10/25, and 8/07

sjsjr86s

Post by sjsjr86s »

LoganS54 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:31 pm Shock Fish?? Which is illegal so I wouldn't recommend.
😂 I never thought about trying to shock fish let alone it be a thing and illegal jeez people think of everything!
Steve
San Diego, CA
sjsjr86s

Post by sjsjr86s »

Gunhippie wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:28 pm A kid who works in the brewery brought this in yesterday, I guess because I didn't have one in the shop:

I know it's an old hand-crank phone generator. I tested it and it puts out between 27 and 40 VAC depending on how fast I crank.

I remember folks using these to hunt worms and to, well, just shock the heck out of each other. Any other uses for one?
you do realize asking this question so late in the day is gonna cause untold sleep deprivation to many tonight.... im not affected right now not at all :shock:
Steve
San Diego, CA
gwillmot
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by gwillmot »

MartyJ wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:45 am Not a lot of volts but definitely some amps.
Actually the opposite. They put out close to 90 VAC but had small current associated with it. Volts hurt ..... current (amps) kill.
Still Crazy After All These Years

He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
Mark 16:16

MartyJ
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by MartyJ »

gwillmot wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:46 am
MartyJ wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:45 am Not a lot of volts but definitely some amps.
Actually the opposite. They put out close to 90 VAC but had small current associated with it. Volts hurt ..... current (amps) kill.
Why I’m not an electrician. I wouldn’t made it long!
Marty
kellyblues
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by kellyblues »

And anything at or above 3/10th of an amp is enough to stop your heart. In some cases even less. Death can occur at 100 milliamps. A single Amp is 1,000 milliamps. Most tiny LED lights require 60ma at full brightness. Almost enough to kill ya. Something to think about.
Milspec syndicate #0044
ICCC member # 1154

Have a heritage lantern for trade only. Pm me if interested

Still learning how NOT to do things.
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

kellyblues wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:55 pm
And anything at or above 3/10th of an amp is enough to stop your heart. In some cases even less. Death can occur at 100 milliamps. A single Amp is 1,000 milliamps. Most tiny LED lights require 60ma at full brightness. Almost enough to kill ya. Something to think about.
But it requires somewhere around 30V to break the insulative barrier of the skin--unless it's wet with salt water or similar conductive fluid. So getting shocked by a car battery is extremely unlikely, even 'though it can crank out 600-1,000 Amps in a hurry!
kellyblues
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by kellyblues »

Gunhippie wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:15 pm
kellyblues wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:55 pm
But it requires somewhere around 30V to break the insulative barrier of the skin--unless it's wet with salt water or similar conductive fluid. So getting shocked by a car battery is extremely unlikely, even 'though it can crank out 600-1,000 Amps in a hurry!
Absolutely, but all it takes is a small fischer in the skin to stablish a good path. It's quite unlikely to get killed by such a small of current. But it is possible. That's what my point was. Electricity isn't anything to play with , even at low levels. If it's over 50v, I've got the proper PPE on.
Milspec syndicate #0044
ICCC member # 1154

Have a heritage lantern for trade only. Pm me if interested

Still learning how NOT to do things.