OT, anybody into these tiny steam engines?

Meet and greet members, general topics, show your stuff, recent/weekend finds.
A Seabee

OT, anybody into these tiny steam engines?

Post by A Seabee »

I'm looking for a burner and water funnel in the US

offrink
Serious Colemanaholic

Re: OT, anybody into these tiny steam engines?

Post by offrink »

Tiny engines are pretty cool!
Ben
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate Member #0035
Looking for B-Day dates of 6/80, 2/84, 3/11, and 12/13
kellyblues
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by kellyblues »

Deanofid is the man you need to talk to.

http://deansphotographica.com/machining ... jects.html
Milspec syndicate #0044
ICCC member # 1154
Still learning how NOT to do things.
Hot_Diggity
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Hot_Diggity »

I've got a steam Tonka truck that Dad built. I had the coolest toys when I was growing up. :D
Chuck, 3/61, ICCC 1689
Milspec Syndicate #510
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0510
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #12
BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #510
Coleman Slant Saver #510
Frank Appreciation Syndicate Member #2
Tinker, Toy maker, Trash picker, Wickie, Lamp loon
trapper
Colemanaholic

Post by trapper »

Hot_Diggity wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:10 pm I've got a steam Tonka truck that Dad built. I had the coolest toys when I was growing up. :D
Wow that sounds awesome 😀
Coast_to_Coast
Colemanaholic

Post by Coast_to_Coast »

My brother had an engine exactly like the one pictured, when we were growing up. It was really cool. I always wanted one of the rolling steam engines.
-Bird- Wisconsin
“I don’t want another lantern, I just want the last one again”
ICCC#1776     The Coleman Blue‘s 243’s #143
Kgam1020
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Kgam1020 »

Those little steam engines are so cool!! I have seen some run at railroad and hobby shows. I would love to get my hands on one.
Ken.
Looking for Bday lanterns, 10/83, 11/84 and 10/2011.
Milspec Syndicate member #1020 
Stovie
Colemanaholic

Steam engines?

Post by Stovie »

Check out the Jensen Steam website. They are located in Jeanette, Penn. and still making them using the original tooling from the 1930s.

I needed some parts for my #75 (boiler glass, my older brother had shot it out with a BB gun) and they mailed me a box of parts and just said "Take what you need, send a check off, return the rest". Naturally, I had to buy everything. They must understand psychological profiling. I dislike returns. LOL
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change ready...
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

This is a project that needs to be finished. Had it running on compressed air a couple times showing it off... Then it became a catch-all 😁

Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
A Seabee

Post by A Seabee »

Tgarner01 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:49 pm This is a project that needs to be finished. Had it running on compressed air a couple times showing it off... Then it became a catch-all 😁

That’s a nice one. Is that a kit or did you fabricate all that yourself?
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

A Seabee wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:23 pm
Tgarner01 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:49 pm This is a project that needs to be finished. Had it running on compressed air a couple times showing it off... Then it became a catch-all 😁

I believe these come already assembled. We got this after it went through a couple different people who never did anything with it... I'll try to find the makers name, but if I remember correctly they are still being produced? I'll see what I can find.
ICCC #1939
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

Tgarner01 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:52 pm
A Seabee wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:23 pm

I believe these come already assembled. We got this after it went through a couple different people who never did anything with it... I'll try to find the makers name, but if I remember correctly they are still being produced? I'll see what I can find.
ICCC #1939
BSAGuy
Super Colemanaholic

Post by BSAGuy »

Hot_Diggity wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:10 pm I've got a steam Tonka truck that Dad built. I had the coolest toys when I was growing up. :D
Let's see some pics. Static is OK and in action is even better. Your dad must have been a master tinkerer.
- Courtenay
Be Prepared
Hot_Diggity
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Hot_Diggity »

BSAGuy wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:13 pm
Let's see some pics. Static is OK and in action is even better. Your dad must have been a master tinkerer.
Will do as soon as I can get time to grab it. It's about the time of year to play with my big engines too. :D
Chuck, 3/61, ICCC 1689
Milspec Syndicate #510
Coleman Slant Saver #510
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

I had one of the simple German steam engines when I was a kid. Back then it cost $8.95 at a Western Auto store. My nephew played with it when he was a kid, now he has the engine so his kids can play with it. When I was a kid I also played with the little Japanese pop-pop boats. Those memories somewhat faded away until maybe 40 years later I found out pop-pop boats were still made in parts of the world where batteries and such are still scarce and expensive. I have a number of them now and added "steam boat captain" to my resume. Below is my "Thunder Cruise" pretending it has a big Deutz 545 marine diesel engine.

Kgam1020
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Kgam1020 »

zoomkat wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:18 pm I had one of the simple German steam engines when I was a kid. Back then it cost $8.95 at a Western Auto store. My nephew played with it when he was a kid, now he has the engine so his kids can play with it. When I was a kid I also played with the little Japanese pop-pop boats. Those memories somewhat faded away until maybe 40 years later I found out pop-pop boats were still made in parts of the world where batteries and such are still scarce and expensive. I have a number of them now and added "steam boat captain" to my resume. Below is my "Thunder Cruise" pretending it has a big Deutz 545 marine diesel engine.

That is wicked cool!
Ken.
Looking for Bday lanterns, 10/83, 11/84 and 10/2011.
Milspec Syndicate member #1020 
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

Post by SteveRetherford »

i had one as a kid , dont remember what ever happened to it , wish i still had it :-(
[DrSteve2]    Steve , Keeper of the Light !!!
Deanofid

Post by Deanofid »

A Seabee wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:35 am I'm looking for a burner and water funnel in the US

I may be able to make you a burner. I have a number of different brands of these engines, some Jensens, Weeden, Empire, a German one I've forgotten the name of, and a couple Mamods. I don't know if I have a Mamod the same size as the one you show. I know I have the smallest one they made, and another, but don't remember the size designations.

What I would need to know is the size of the firebox door, where the burner goes in. Some of these were made to run on Esbit, and so they will have a quite small firebox door. A wick burner may not fit in those types. Some were made to run on denat alcohol wick burners and they have a little larger firebox door to allow the two or three wicks to fit into the fire box.

Measure the door opening, tell me how deep the firebox is, front to back, and be prepared to wait a couple months for your new burner. It won't cost much, but I am so busy that anything I take on at this time has a long lead time.

Also, as far as I know, Mamod is still in business. They are in England. They may still have things like burners in stock for this engine, too. Worth a try getting hold of them.
Dean -Midnight Kerosene Ritualist--Deans Machine:  Deansmachine.com  
ICCC #1220.   275 commiseration #0018.
"In Him was life, and His life was the Light of men."  John 1:4
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

Post by SteveRetherford »

i remember the one i had was electric , added some water , plugged it in and it would start spinning .
[DrSteve2]    Steve , Keeper of the Light !!!
Hot_Diggity
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Hot_Diggity »

When I divided up Dad's stuff I gave the steam Tonka to #1 Son, but he assures me that he can get me some pictures. While I'm waiting I dusted off Dad's boat engine and Double Reciprocating Grinder.
Dad's boat engine.jpg
Dad's boat engine 2.jpg
Dad had built a model steam power generating plant, which was the largest boiler (2" diameter and 10" long) that he felt comfortable with.
He'd seen a traction engine boiler explosion at a steam show somewhere, and his father had worked with boilers when Dad was a kid. This was probably the root of his excessive caution when testing boilers and firearms. He didn't want to see anything blow up. So the power plant and the steam Tonka were the only live steam boilers that he completed, and they had to survive extreme hydraulic pressure tests.

My self-preservation instincts are sharp, but I haven't inherited his caution with explosions. The Marine Corps tempered it into a healthy respect. I do enjoy a well set water shot that will send a wave through the ground water and roll the landscape like an earthquake. 8-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chuck, 3/61, ICCC 1689
Milspec Syndicate #510
Coleman Slant Saver #510
outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

I have a little bitty Jensen. I think I fired it once.
[Logo%20Outlaw-half] 
Coleman Blue's 243's #341 - 275 Appreciation Syndicate member 0242
FAS #001 Confusing Future Generations of Collectors, One Lantern at a Time!

“A Human Being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, give orders, take orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook  a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.  Specialization is for insects.”            - Lazarus Long

salukispeed
Super Colemanaholic

Post by salukispeed »

Here is mine from when I was a kid. A favorite uncle gave it to me for Christmas in the early 70's. Have run it many times as MY kids grew up. Mostly sits wrapped up in my closet to be safe. I am missing the drive spring/belt and top part of the Faux governor long with the original stack but works as the day it was made. It is the electric heated version. Filler it with water and plug it in. add some oil occasionally
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob
ICCC 1868
Perfection appreciation #10
Milspec 65252
Deanofid

Post by Deanofid »

I don't know if that still has the name sticker on it, Bob, but that is a Wilesco, made in Germany. They still make 'em, too. Nice one.
Dean -Midnight Kerosene Ritualist--Deans Machine:  Deansmachine.com  
ICCC #1220.   275 commiseration #0018.
"In Him was life, and His life was the Light of men."  John 1:4
salukispeed
Super Colemanaholic

Post by salukispeed »

Yes I believe it is a Wilesco but no sign of the sticker. I just remember the Box and such.
Bob
ICCC 1868
Perfection appreciation #10
Milspec 65252