Akron lamp W/Creamax shade

Meet and greet members, general topics, show your stuff, recent/weekend finds.
kellyblues
Serious Colemanaholic

Akron lamp W/Creamax shade

Post by kellyblues »

The pictures of the paint DO NOT do it justice. I've not seen this paint scheme. This one is different than my other one that's on Terry site that I found 15 years ago and different from John's.
The only I've done with this to get it lit was oil the pump and put mantels on it. It's running on the fuel it was shipped with. From the smell I'm going to say it's probably fuel from the 50's. I say that because I have some that old that I keep with a charge of nitrogen on so it doesn't go bad. As long as old fuel it's exposed to oxygen it doesn't go bad for the most part. For those who wonder about the nitrogen.
This is a uranium glass Creamax shade.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Milspec syndicate #0044
ICCC member # 1154
Still learning how NOT to do things.
Kgam1020
Super Colemanaholic

Re: Akron lamp W/Creamax shade

Post by Kgam1020 »

What a nice lamp and that shade is awesome!
Ken.
Looking for Bday lanterns, 10/83, 11/84 and 10/2011.
Milspec Syndicate member #1020 
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

Post by SteveRetherford »

i forget just what they called this type of paint , i remember aquarium stores sold something similar to put on the backs of fish tanks as a kid . you painted on the glass and then it would crystalize .
[DrSteve2]    Steve , Keeper of the Light !!!
Majicwrench
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Majicwrench »

That's just too purty!
Keith
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

That first pic is awesome. Maybe I should electrify a CQ and add a black light bulb for my Cremax shade. :cf_hiding:
-Jim

I threw a boomerang a couple years ago; I now live in constant fear.

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?
Jeepstircrazy
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Jeepstircrazy »

Hey there listen bud! He’s got radio active blood! Nice combo Spider-Man! That glass is getting popular. I ran into a guy I knew running around with a penlight black light buying everything in the flea market that glowed. Lots of vendors don’t know what they have. Walmart sells the little black lights. Glad it found the right home! Going to have us all looking down a different rabbit hole!
Wayne signing off...

What's the lowest you'll take for this lantern?                                                

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

"I'm not sure if I actually have freetime or if I just keep forgetting stuff!"
( Thanks for that one Uncle Sidney!) :D

And oh... I don't flip GPA's... I have gifted several though. :D
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

Post by SteveRetherford »

i have another Akron lamp that looks like they splattered it with drywall mud before painting it gold , its very lumpy . they were truly experimenting with the paint jobs .
[DrSteve2]    Steve , Keeper of the Light !!!
Hot_Diggity
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Hot_Diggity »

That's a really striking combination Steve. Akron sure had enough variety to keep things interesting.
Chuck, 3/61, ICCC 1689
Milspec Syndicate #510
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0510
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #12
BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #510
Coleman Slant Saver #510
Frank Appreciation Syndicate Member #2
Tinker, Toy maker, Trash picker, Wickie, Lamp loon
kellyblues
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by kellyblues »

Kgam1020 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:38 pm What a nice lamp and that shade is awesome!
Thank you.
SteveRetherford wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:43 pm i forget just what they called this type of paint , i remember aquarium stores sold something similar to put on the backs of fish tanks as a kid . you painted on the glass and then it would crystalize .
It's definitely different. It's almost like a hologram. It changes with the angle.
Majicwrench wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:12 pm That's just too purty!
Thank you
JimL wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:57 pm That first pic is awesome. Maybe I should electrify a CQ and add a black light bulb for my Cremax shade. :cf_hiding:
That couch ain't gonna protect you if you do that. Lol. I've thought about fitting something that will lite the when not in use.
Jeepstircrazy wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:07 pm Hey there listen bud! He’s got radio active blood! Nice combo Spider-Man! That glass is getting popular. I ran into a guy I knew running around with a penlight black light buying everything in the flea market that glowed. Lots of vendors don’t know what they have. Walmart sells the little black lights. Glad it found the right home! Going to have us all looking down a different rabbit hole!
Thank you! I always have a small blacklight with me. I've got several small penlights for that.
SteveRetherford wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:33 pm i have another Akron lamp that looks like they splattered it with drywall mud before painting it gold , its very lumpy . they were truly experimenting with the paint jobs .
Yes they were. I had one that sounds like what you are talking about but it wasn't in good shape.
Milspec syndicate #0044
ICCC member # 1154
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

>>I've thought about fitting something that will lite the when not in use.

Here's a possibility for you. I stuck in a string of fairy lights in one of my lamps. I just layed them around the top because I still have mantles on this lamp. I don't know where to get the fairy lights locally at the moment, but Aliexpress has them pretty cheap and I just ordered another set.

Shade with fairy lights - reduced.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Jim

kellyblues
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by kellyblues »

JimL wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 3:07 am >>I've thought about fitting something that will lite the when not in use.

Here's a possibility for you. I stuck in a string of fairy lights in one of my lamps. I just layed them around the top because I still have mantles on this lamp. I don't know where to get the fairy lights locally at the moment, but Aliexpress has them pretty cheap and I just ordered another set.

Shade with fairy lights - reduced.jpg
That's a good idea,Jim.
Milspec syndicate #0044
ICCC member # 1154
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

Just a correction to my previous post. The lights are further down inside the shade and not just around the top, but are still not that close to the mantles. If I want to use the lamp, it's simple to pull these lights back out.
-Jim

Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

It wouldn't be hard to string some UV LEDs together and power them with a battery. Go the same way as Jim and nothing is lost.
It's priceless until someone puts a price on it.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Texan's last words: "Y'all--hold my beer--I wanta' try sumptin'."
Timm--Middle of nowhere, near the end of the road, Oregon.
kellyblues
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by kellyblues »

Gunhippie wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 5:09 pm It wouldn't be hard to string some UV LEDs together and power them with a battery. Go the same way as Jim and nothing is lost.
Yeah that's what I'm thinking. String of uv LED's. That would look cool
Milspec syndicate #0044
ICCC member # 1154
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

Dang, I've got to go shopping again. I wouldn't have thought that UV string lights were a thing.
-Jim

Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

They might not be, but I can make them. UV LEDs are not hard to find.
It's priceless until someone puts a price on it.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Texan's last words: "Y'all--hold my beer--I wanta' try sumptin'."
Timm--Middle of nowhere, near the end of the road, Oregon.
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

They're a thing. I checked Aliexpress and several sellers have them. Most (maybe all) are USB powered. I think I may want to go that route anyway since I've accumulated several power banks over the past few years.
-Jim

kellyblues
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by kellyblues »

JimL wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 3:21 am They're a thing. I checked Aliexpress and several sellers have them. Most (maybe all) are USB powered. I think I may want to go that route anyway since I've accumulated several power banks over the past few years.
Thanks for the tip. I'll be ordering some when I make up my mind what ones to get.
Milspec syndicate #0044
ICCC member # 1154
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

I suspect they're all the same, other than a few pennies difference in price. It appears the sellers copied each other's descriptions, right down to the invalid lengths: they're all 100cm (39 inches), 10m (33 feet), and over 6', all at the same time. :) The only consistency is 100 lights, which is all I really want anyway and just ordered a set.
-Jim