Meet and greet members, general topics, show your stuff, recent/weekend finds.
kellyblues
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by kellyblues »

Saturday night Keros.
Almost got that red rising sun globe clean. Couple more times and I'll get it. The new to me 237 runs good. It's rough and going to be my beater 237. I'll polish the nickel after I get my shopsmith home from the storage unit. I tried using my hand buffer and stopped because I kept thinking I was about to burn through the nickel. I've used that shopsmith for polishing for 25 years, it's what I'm comfortable with. So this one gonna wait.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Milspec syndicate #0044
ICCC member # 1154
Still learning how NOT to do things.
smarti
Colemanaholic

Re: 237,249,237

Post by smarti »

Two stinky boat anchors and a good user. They look nice though, as long as I don't have to smell them. I prefer a 236 all day, every day.
It was Love at first light!!! Scott
kellyblues
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by kellyblues »

smarti wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 1:13 am Two stinky boat anchors and a good user. They look nice though, as long as I don't have to smell them. I prefer a 236 all day, every day.
No offense but you must be doing something wrong. :lol: :lol: I've had the 237 on the right for years and years. It runs good and clean. I've had several 237's & 236:s. I enjoy them both
Milspec syndicate #0044
ICCC member # 1154
kiwi

Post by kiwi »

You have good taste in lanterns, don't listen to those that say they are smelly, I know as well as you how clean they are to burn. Kerosene is only a problem if you spill some.
I have a beater 237 that it is my best burner and it is far more of a beater than yours.
It had hung in an open barn for years, covered in rust, dented and absolutely filthy, I bought it to save it.
I use it as often as I can just to prove the naysayers wrong.
Geoff
Kiwi
Kgam1020
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Kgam1020 »

Lookin good! Those three are nice and bright.
Ken.
Looking for Bday lanterns, 10/83, 11/84 and 10/2011.
Milspec Syndicate member #1020 
Dmacp
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Dmacp »

Two stinky boat anchors
No offense but you must be doing something wrong. :lol: :lol: I've had the 237 on the right for years and years. It runs good and clean. I've had several 237's & 236:s. I enjoy them both
The stink is coming from mixture leaking out of a threaded fitting or slip joint. Burner tube to burner cap is one major offender on the 237. A drip slow enough that the heat will vaporize the kerosene is another.

Permatex muffler and tail pipe sealer on the threads will do it. There should be no unpleasant odor. Just clean hot CO2. Kerosene lanterns are not the only offenders. The 200A is very similar.
Dan
ICCC member #604
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

My 237-based Keggeratern burns perfectly clean and with no stink--even running on ULS Diesel. Too little pre-heat will give you a stink for a minute or so, and sometimes it'll outgas a bit when shut down.
It's priceless until someone puts a price on it.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Texan's last words: "Y'all--hold my beer--I wanta' try sumptin'."
Timm--Middle of nowhere, near the end of the road, Oregon.
kellyblues
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by kellyblues »

kiwi wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 6:01 am You have good taste in lanterns, don't listen to those that say they are smelly, I know as well as you how clean they are to burn. Kerosene is only a problem if you spill some.
I have a beater 237 that it is my best burner and it is far more of a beater than yours.
It had hung in an open barn for years, covered in rust, dented and absolutely filthy, I bought it to save it.
I use it as often as I can just to prove the naysayers wrong.
Thank you. Yeah I've been doing this gpa thing for a little while.....lit my first kero before 1980 so they aren't a struggle for me. Like the milspecs. It's always nice to have a beater .
Dmacp wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 5:07 pm
Two stinky boat anchors
The stink is coming from mixture leaking out of a threaded fitting or slip joint. Burner tube to burner cap is one major offender on the 237. A drip slow enough that the heat will vaporize the kerosene is another.

Permatex muffler and tail pipe sealer on the threads will do it. There should be no unpleasant odor. Just clean hot CO2. Kerosene lanterns are not the only offenders. The 200A is very similar.
Yes sir, spot on.
Gunhippie wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 5:48 pm My 237-based Keggeratern burns perfectly clean and with no stink--even running on ULS Diesel. Too little pre-heat will give you a stink for a minute or so, and sometimes it'll outgas a bit when shut down.
Too little pre heat is something I think lots of people are guilty of. I fill the cup to the top and wait till it's dang near out before I open the knob. Normally I'll turn the tip when the cup is a little past 1/2. Something I learned a long time ago is when the gen starts getting dirty I'll fill the cup before shutting the valve all the way and make sure any left over kero gets turned into light. When I first started doing that I wondered if it caused the gen to clog up faster. So I did some tests with a couple 237's and found it actually helps. So I got in the habit of buring a cup on shut down every once in a while and it extends my run time between gen cleaning.
Milspec syndicate #0044
ICCC member # 1154
Dmacp
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Dmacp »

Too little pre heat is something I think lots of people are guilty of. I fill the cup to the top and wait till it's dang near out before I open the knob. Normally I'll turn the tip when the cup is a little past 1/2
I don't have that problem because I'm in SoCal where it's hot. But I sure have in the Sierras when it is not. In fact, I ran a 237 with a screen globe and it was so cold that the lantern lost it's preheat and went out. Now there is where the odor will get you. Wow. Smelled like an F86 taxied through the tent.
Dan
ICCC member #604
kellyblues
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by kellyblues »

Dmacp wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:40 pm
Too little pre heat is something I think lots of people are guilty of. I fill the cup to the top and wait till it's dang near out before I open the knob. Normally I'll turn the tip when the cup is a little past 1/2
I don't have that problem because I'm in SoCal where it's hot. But I sure have in the Sierras when it is not. In fact, I ran a 237 with a screen globe and it was so cold that the lantern lost it's preheat and went out. Now there is where the odor will get you. Wow. Smelled like an F86 taxied through the tent.
Yeah that will get ya. Lol. I did the same thing in Indiana one winter. I don't care what kero lantern it is, not enough heat and it stinks. But I live in Florida now so I doubt I'll have that problem again.
Milspec syndicate #0044
ICCC member # 1154
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

I've had a 200A with screen globe, burning CF, stop generating on a below-freezing, breezy night--but it didn't go out. It fireballed. Fortunately, I was standing right there and got it out before the picnic table was consumed, but I did have to re-paint the lantern.
It's priceless until someone puts a price on it.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Texan's last words: "Y'all--hold my beer--I wanta' try sumptin'."
Timm--Middle of nowhere, near the end of the road, Oregon.