Quick overnight camping trip

Meet and greet members, general topics, show your stuff, recent/weekend finds.
1hpycmpr
Super Colemanaholic

Quick overnight camping trip

Post by 1hpycmpr »

I ditched work on Friday and headed up camping with some friends. The main reason for the quick getaway, other than the obvious campfire time, was to test out my new toy. We headed to an area that has been hit hard by beetle kill and the Cameron Peak fire last year.

I went light on the gear and had to try out my new-to-me cot.
It turned out to very comfortable!

Dinner was a foil dinner over the fire so all I needed was the 530 for coffee in the morning.

My new toy was an equatorial mount for my old 5" Celestron.
I wanted something that would track and keep objects in view without having to manually move the scope. The night wasn't the greatest seeing due to high clouds so after aligning the mount, I centered a bright start and let the scope track while I enjoyed the fire. After a couple of hours the star was still centered so the testing was complete and I was quite happy with the results.

Since we didn't need, or want, a lot of white light shining around the camp, I brought along the 427 with a red globe.

It was a beautiful evening.

Thanks for looking!
Mark
*Stargazer*
Kgam1020
Super Colemanaholic

Re: Quick overnight camping trip

Post by Kgam1020 »

That’s awesome Mark! Nice spot to camp. Love that red globe.
Ken.
Looking for Bday lanterns, 10/83, 11/84 and 10/2011.
Milspec Syndicate member #1020 
1hpycmpr
Super Colemanaholic

Post by 1hpycmpr »

Kgam1020 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 1:34 pm That’s awesome Mark! Nice spot to camp. Love that red globe.
Thanks, Ken. 15 years ago there were a lot more trees in this area. Pretty exposed these days. ☹️
Mark
*Stargazer*
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

Beautiful pictures Mark! I've got some some family out your way and they said the beatle kill is devastating... I'm sure pictures don't do it justice... Looks like a great time none the less 👍
Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
1hpycmpr
Super Colemanaholic

Post by 1hpycmpr »

Tgarner01 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 2:10 pm Beautiful pictures Mark! I've got some some family out your way and they said the beatle kill is devastating... I'm sure pictures don't do it justice... Looks like a great time none the less 👍
Thanks, Toby. Yes, we did have a good time. It was nice just to get out in the hills and enjoy the beautiful weather.
Mark
*Stargazer*
Loganeffecto
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Loganeffecto »

Sad to hear about the beetle problem up there, Mark. I’ve heard of those but didn’t realize how bad it was. That Celestron is definitely nice and my speed. Lugging a Dob gets old pretty quick!
Logan, formerly known as Fester. (It means to rot)
1hpycmpr
Super Colemanaholic

Post by 1hpycmpr »

Loganeffecto wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:16 pm Sad to hear about the beetle problem up there, Mark. I’ve heard of those but didn’t realize how bad it was. That Celestron is definitely nice and my speed. Lugging a Dob gets old pretty quick!
It’s pretty bad, Logan. Up in the Winter Park area the mountain sides are an almost solid brownish-red color. You have to look close to see any green pine trees.

Yep, the light bucket Dob scopes are a bit to handle and transport. The 5” was a gift from a dear old friend and I never had a proper mount in order to use the scope. I have either set it up on a tripod for viewing, which was a pain or sometimes used the 1250mm f10 scope for photography. Not sure whatever happen to the original mount since I was gifted just the tube. Although the new set up is on the lesser expensive side, the fact that it will keep an object in the field of view for a long time is a huge win for me. 🙂
Mark
*Stargazer*
austin65uri
Super Colemanaholic

Post by austin65uri »

Nice Mark. Is that the StarSense model?
Bill.
ICCC#1601
"Small earth, big universe!"
1hpycmpr
Super Colemanaholic

Post by 1hpycmpr »

austin65uri wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:08 pm Nice Mark. Is that the StarSense model?
Thanks, Bill. No, it’s an Orion plain-Jane GEM with an RA motor added. It was the smallest I could go and still have some decent beef to support the tube. One can never have too much mount supporting the optics! Not sure what the StarSense is capable of but I’ll have to rely on my limited knowledge of the night skies, star-hopping, and my old star atlas. The polar-alignment scope is crude but it will work good enough for my purposes.
Mark
*Stargazer*
gpaguy
Colemanaholic

Post by gpaguy »

You have a beetle out there that's killing the pine trees ? We have a beetle here in Pennsylvania called the Emerald Ash boring beetle that is beautiful with it's colors but really destructive to Ash trees. Dead Ash trees all over the place. We lost are Chestnut and Elm trees to a blight already and now the Ash from an imported beetle.

John
1hpycmpr
Super Colemanaholic

Post by 1hpycmpr »

gpaguy wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:10 pm You have a beetle out there that's killing the pine trees ? We have a beetle here in Pennsylvania called the Emerald Ash boring beetle that is beautiful with it's colors but really destructive to Ash trees. Dead Ash trees all over the place. We lost are Chestnut and Elm trees to a blight already and now the Ash from an imported beetle.
Yes John, the pine beetle has killed millions of acres of pine trees in western North America. Its really sad to see this destruction over the past years. If the dead trees are harvested, the lumber has beautiful blue staining. We also have the ash borer here in Colorado and our tree in the front yard almost fell victim to the little critter but we caught it early 20 years ago and have it treated annually.
Mark
*Stargazer*
A Seabee

Post by A Seabee »

Awesome pics Mark, thanks for sharing!
smarti
Colemanaholic

Post by smarti »

Spectacular pictures, Mark. Thanks for sharing. Very sad to see all those dead trees though. We have had a similar beetle blight here in California. Millions of trees dead and just waiting for a fire. They need to let people take them out.
It was Love at first light!!! Scott
1hpycmpr
Super Colemanaholic

Post by 1hpycmpr »

A Seabee wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:50 am Awesome pics Mark, thanks for sharing!
Thanks, Seabee. Although it was a short trip, it’s always good to get out!
Mark
*Stargazer*
1hpycmpr
Super Colemanaholic

Post by 1hpycmpr »

smarti wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:03 am Spectacular pictures, Mark. Thanks for sharing. Very sad to see all those dead trees though. We have had a similar beetle blight here in California. Millions of trees dead and just waiting for a fire. They need to let people take them out.
Thank you, Scott. Last year, the largest wildfire in Colorado history fed on mostly beetle-killed trees. I have lived almost 50 years out west and all the places across Utah, Wyoming, Montana, and Colorado that I have hung out in have been affected. Yep, pretty sad.
Mark
*Stargazer*
Sierra_Roadrunner

Post by Sierra_Roadrunner »

Nice scope and nice campsite Mark. To bad about the beetles and fire destruction. Eventually it will grow back to its former glory but it will take years and years, probably not in our lifetimes, before it even comes close to being what it used to be.
Joe
ICCC# 1893

" Curiosity is natural to the soul of man and interesting objects have a profound influence on our affections." - Daniel Boone
1hpycmpr
Super Colemanaholic

Post by 1hpycmpr »

Sierra_Roadrunner wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:42 am Nice scope and nice campsite Mark. To bad about the beetles and fire destruction. Eventually it will grow back to its former glory but it will take years and years, probably not in our lifetimes, before it even comes close to being what it used to be.
Thanks, I appreciate the comments. I have often thought about how the forest will look in another 75 years plus and I hope our grandkids will get the chance to see the forest returning to a healthy state.
Mark
*Stargazer*
gpaguy
Colemanaholic

Post by gpaguy »

Being that the Western US is covered with so much pine this seems like a devastating problem. Is it attacking different types of pine or just one ? What's this going to do to the lumber industry ?

John
CaptainFantastic
Administrator
Title: Coleman Helvetica (CH)

Post by CaptainFantastic »

As always Mark, great pictures and a great trip! Thanks for sharing.
Ian - Looking for these dates 7/82, 7/92, 8/93, 9/03, 11/05, 5/17
ICCC #1480 | ICCC co-webmaster
Unqualified novice Elbonian supporting the CCF site
1hpycmpr
Super Colemanaholic

Post by 1hpycmpr »

gpaguy wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:43 am Being that the Western US is covered with so much pine this seems like a devastating problem. Is it attacking different types of pine or just one ? What's this going to do to the lumber industry ?
Here in Colorado, the mountain pine beetle is taking out mainly lodge pole pines. To be honest, I don’t know how the lumber industry is faring in regards to this problem. I do know that the beetle kill lumber that is harvested is quite unique. There’s a definite blue coloring in the wood. My son and I finished his Sprinter van with tongue and groove beetle kill and it turned out nice.
CaptainFantastic wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:50 am As always Mark, great pictures and a great trip! Thanks for sharing.
Thanks, Ian. It ain’t the Alps but it will do in a pinch! 😄
Mark
*Stargazer*