Coleman model numbers

Meet and greet members, general topics, show your stuff, recent/weekend finds.
BillG
Serious Colemanaholic

Coleman model numbers

Post by BillG »

Maybe a dumb question that's been answered before but how did Coleman come up with their lantern model numbers? Why a 327 or a 242 or a 236? or a 425 stove for that matter? Why is an E20 poultry and E20? Do these numbers refer to anything in particular? I can see where a 200 vs 220 is single vs double mantle but beyond that who knows? Anybody have any ideas? Just curious......
Bill
Toronto, Canada
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Re: Coleman model numbers

Post by Gunhippie »

That way lies madness....
It's priceless until someone puts a price on it.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Texan's last words: "Y'all--hold my beer--I wanta' try sumptin'."
Timm--Middle of nowhere, near the end of the road, Oregon.
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

They drew them out of hat....

The above statement is complete nonsense from the idiot who wrote it as with many things he has to say... Sincerely, idiots wife 😉
Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
Stovie
Colemanaholic

Post by Stovie »

Gunhippie wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 5:44 pm That way lies madness....
Till I started hanging around here I'd no idea the "plethora" of different lantern models over the years. Makes no sense to me.
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change ready...
coleman54
Super Colemanaholic

Post by coleman54 »

Without writing a book here, 😁
In the beginning these numbers were selected to reference the size, shape, material, or other differences in the “globe”
316/319/323/327/220. Just as lamp shades were assigned numbers for their identification.
As for the E20, I know of no definitive documentation, the first letter in this era describes the fount size, shape, material, or other differences, my thoughts are the “E” is for economic fount and “20” is in inches the advertised height.
Larry

Inquiring Minds Want To Know
MilSpecsOps  #1954  Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0124  The Coleman Blues 243's #77  
Coleman Slant Saver #01  Coleman Quick Lite Crew #01 Sears Collectors Club #16 
Goldbond Collector #02  BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #003    Part Time Stovie  Frank Appreciation Syndicate #007
Perfection Collectors #3   ICCC #1412

Zulu Kono
Title: Like a Butterfly A Wild Butterfly

Post by Zulu Kono »

Last edited by Zulu Kono on Mon May 03, 2021 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rustytank
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Rustytank »

Sometimes it's easier to just accept "that" something is instead of pondering "why" it is.
275 Appreciation Syndicate #0245
Looking for birthday lanterns 11/58, 3/68, 3/73, 11/96, 6/97, 11/97, 12/00
outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

Because...
[Logo%20Outlaw-half] 
Coleman Blue's 243's #341 - 275 Appreciation Syndicate member 0242
FAS #001 Confusing Future Generations of Collectors, One Lantern at a Time!

“A Human Being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, give orders, take orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook  a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.  Specialization is for insects.”            - Lazarus Long

BillG
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by BillG »

too much idle "lockdown" time to think about things like this I guess :)
Bill
Toronto, Canada
BillG
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by BillG »

coleman54 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 6:21 pm Without writing a book here, 😁
In the beginning these numbers were selected to reference the size, shape, material, or other differences in the “globe”
316/319/323/327/220. Just as lamp shades were assigned numbers for their identification.
As for the E20, I know of no definitive documentation, the first letter in this era describes the fount size, shape, material, or other differences, my thoughts are the “E” is for economic fount and “20” is in inches the advertised height.
Thanks Larry....
Bill
Toronto, Canada
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

427 is a lantern. 413, 425 and 426 are stoves. Go figure.
It's priceless until someone puts a price on it.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Texan's last words: "Y'all--hold my beer--I wanta' try sumptin'."
Timm--Middle of nowhere, near the end of the road, Oregon.
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

Gunhippie wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:20 pm 427 is a lantern. 413, 425 and 426 are stoves. Go figure.
How about the 327 hot plate?... Pretty sure Coleman just wanted to confuse later generations 😁
ICCC #1939
outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

How about the 442 Aluminum Box Stove vs, the 442 single burner, decades later?
[Logo%20Outlaw-half] 

“A Human Being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, give orders, take orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook  a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.  Specialization is for insects.”            - Lazarus Long

coleman54
Super Colemanaholic

Post by coleman54 »

Gunhippie wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:20 pm 427 is a lantern. 413, 425 and 426 are stoves. Go figure.
/////////:::::::............
As I stated “in the beginning “ (1914) discussing lanterns numbers , things began to change after about the mid twenties, things got shook up again. Coleman now had stoves, irons and etc.
There was a no. 327 stove and a no. 327 mica at the same time frame.
The 220 mica in 1928 was a six piece and 327 was the 13 piece.
Larry

Inquiring Minds Want To Know
MilSpecsOps  #1954  Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0124  The Coleman Blues 243's #77  
Coleman Slant Saver #01  Coleman Quick Lite Crew #01 Sears Collectors Club #16 
Goldbond Collector #02  BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #003    Part Time Stovie  Frank Appreciation Syndicate #007
Perfection Collectors #3   ICCC #1412

austin65uri
Super Colemanaholic

Post by austin65uri »

Probably followed the same principle they used when numbering these:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill.
ICCC#1601
"Small earth, big universe!"
outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

austin65uri wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:26 pm Probably followed the same principle they used when numbering these:
:cf_funny: :cf_absolutely:
[Logo%20Outlaw-half] 

Jeepstircrazy
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Jeepstircrazy »

Tgarner01 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 6:03 pm They drew them out of hat....

The above statement is complete nonsense from the idiot who wrote it as with many things he has to say... Sincerely, idiots wife 😉
Toby, you lose control of the keyboard? Here's one for your wife...

When Canada was being formed as a new domain of England ... the People (new comers) were undecided on what to call this new nation. Someone suggested that the letters from the alphabet should be put in a hat and one of the earliest settlers should be the one to draw the letters.. So the gentleman reached in and pulled out and announced each letter to the crowd as he did so... it went like this.. " C, eh? N, eh? D, eh?" And there you have it!
Wayne signing off...

What's the lowest you'll take for this lantern?                                                

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

"I'm not sure if I actually have freetime or if I just keep forgetting stuff!"
( Thanks for that one Uncle Sidney!) :D

And oh... I don't flip GPA's... I have gifted several though. :D
BillG
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by BillG »

Jeepstircrazy wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:50 pm

When Canada was being formed as a new domain of England ... the People (new comers) were undecided on what to call this new nation. Someone suggested that the letters from the alphabet should be put in a hat and one of the earliest settlers should be the one to draw the letters.. So the gentleman reached in and pulled out and announced each letter to the crowd as he did so... it went like this.. " C, eh? N, eh? D, eh?" And there you have it!

:lol: :lol:
Bill
Toronto, Canada
outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

:cf_flag_canada:
[Logo%20Outlaw-half] 

Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

:cf_heeheehee: Wayne that's funny dontcha know 😂
ICCC #1939
Northman49
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Northman49 »

I think you live too close to the border!!!!
She was only a moonshiner's daughter, but I loved her still.

I keep my tools sharp...but my mind sharper!
  Ed
                 ICCC no.1880
                 CANADIAN BLUES Member #023

Mil-spec ops #1982
StanDahl
Super Colemanaholic

Post by StanDahl »

Then in 1938, stoves formerly known by small numbers like 2, 3, 4, 6, and 9 with various letter suffixes were changed to 3 digit model numbers. Apparently behind the scenes they were using the 3 digit model numbers for the parts on the single digit stoves and made them all match up properly by re-designating the stove model numbers. So the model 2 became the 416, the model 3 became the 413, the model 4 became the 417, the model 6 became the 412, and the 9 became the 415. This move made the sales and factory designations match up. Why in that order? Who knows.
John - ICCC Petty Bureaucrat #CMLXII...
outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

and Mod 4 continued (or was reused?) in Canada...
[Logo%20Outlaw-half] 

ecblanks
Super Colemanaholic

Post by ecblanks »

I've noticed a few patterns over the years.
One is that they liked to use odd numbers for kerosene (249, 237, 639, 235, 201, 247, etc)); There are exceptions; 234 and 229.
Carlton
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate # 0176
Slant Saver #29
Mil-Spec Ops #0973
ICCC Member #1892 (expired)