I never understood why Coleman......

Meet and greet members, general topics, show your stuff, recent/weekend finds.
LongueCarabine

I never understood why Coleman......

Post by LongueCarabine »

changed the vent style from the “C, D, E” to the much less appealing “F” and later styles.

Sure, I understand cost cutting, but in my opinion, Coleman would probably have sold more lanterns of the older style than the newer vents.

For one thing, living in the South, the older vents keep more bugs out, due to the smaller openings. My “F” and later style lanterns are always full of dead bugs after heavy use.

And of course the older vents are much better looking.

Brian

Mil-Spec Ops #1929

Looking for the following lanterns; 08/36; 09/29; 05/59; 05/60; 06/61; 12/65; 11/75; 11/88
Coldwaterpaddler
Super Colemanaholic

Re: I never understood why Coleman......

Post by Coldwaterpaddler »

Well . . . beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I think.

If we forget about of the cost of manufacturing, I think I could give reasons such as, all of the automobiles were changing in the early 1960's from those of the 1950's and the same with clothing fashions, furniture, home design, etc. so, why wouldn't a manufacturer of GPAs not consider changing their design to give them a fresh look? I asked one of my sons once which he liked better, the 242B or the 202. He said he liked the design of the 202 better. And this from a guy who uses an M-1942 Mod as his primary backpacking stove.

Seems like from a use where there are lots of bugs, however, the smaller openings of the older was better. Not everything new is "better", functionally speaking, I agree.
Stovie-Steve
"Don't let the weather run your life" - Steve
The Coleman Blues - #95
Gavercronos
Serious Colemanaholic
Title: Guy Who Does Stuff

Post by Gavercronos »

But they did sell more 220Fs. There are millions of the things out there.
And, if you think about it, the 1960s are a rare period when nostalgia had pretty much no influence on style. Changing the vent made the 30 year old design look new and therefore highly marketable.
As for the bugs, well, I get the same thing in the older lanterns, they go in through the lighting holes in the frame. :cf_idontknow:
WillCat

Chautauqua County, New York
Slant Saver [svg] Frank MakerNew York State Route 5 marker

Wanted: GPA dated 5/89, 7D Mag-lite
My greatest fear is Flying Walruses with Tommy guns for Tusks.
Vintageish

Post by Vintageish »

The 242 vent separating might have factored? Early 220's seem to have a similar design.

Ease/cost of manufacture were likely in there too.
Purty colors. Well , cept'n maybe that brown when it's on fire...
Bill
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Bill »

Hmmm, I'm probably in the minority here, but I like the look of the F vents much better that the earlier B, C, D or E vents. Much cleaner looking design, in my opinion. Also, the multiple small holes in the earlier style vents seem to invite more rust and corrosion than the later design. Any time you try to apply coatings (like paint or porcelain enamel) to objects with right-angle corners (like punched holes in steel) surface tension and other forces keep the coatings thinner on the edges of the corners. The lack of coating thickness on the edges makes the edges more susceptible to corrosion and rust. I have a couple 242's with lots of rust around the vent perforations, but 200A globes--without perforations--seem to hold up much better.
Bill Sheehy, aka Merlotrin P.M.      ICCC #1390      eBay handle: wtspe
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #24  /  Mil-Spec Ops, Bernz-o-Matic, and Sears Syndicates #58
Looking for birthday lanterns dated 4/33, 9/33 & 8/87
outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

Another vote for the older style vents.

What I never understood is why never a "208" or a "248" - a wide brim like the 228 for the singles?
[Logo%20Outlaw-half] 
Coleman Blue's 243's #341 - 275 Appreciation Syndicate member 0242
FAS #001 Confusing Future Generations of Collectors, One Lantern at a Time!

“A Human Being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, give orders, take orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook  a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.  Specialization is for insects.”            - Lazarus Long

Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

outlawmws wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 3:28 am Another vote for the older style vents.

What I never understood is why never a "208" or a "248" - a wide brim like the 228 for the singles?
You haven't found one yet? 🤪

Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

Coleman never did that..
[Logo%20Outlaw-half] 
Coleman Blue's 243's #341 - 275 Appreciation Syndicate member 0242
FAS #001 Confusing Future Generations of Collectors, One Lantern at a Time!

“A Human Being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, give orders, take orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook  a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.  Specialization is for insects.”            - Lazarus Long