Anyone seen a plaque like this on a stove before?

Meet and greet members, general topics, show your stuff, recent/weekend finds.
Mr M

Anyone seen a plaque like this on a stove before?

Post by Mr M »

Hey all, I recently acquired a battered Canadian 4M suitcase stove (or so I thought).

This little plaque is on the inside of the lid, and seems to call it a 4MX? with some writing in what I think is German. Is this an export version of the 4M? The case is just labeled 4M and Made in Canada.

I tried searching the forum, but it will not search for just the term 4M, telling me that it is too common or too short to search.

I did see mention of a 4MX on Terry’s site, but I didn’t see one with a plaque like this, or much information about them.

I don’t have very good pictures of the stove yet, but if you imagine a battered green suitcase stove, you would be on the right track. I am happy to get more pictures if needed.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
--Aaron from Idaho--
Leviticus_Tomethreus
Super Colemanaholic

Re: Anyone seen a plaque like this on a stove before?

Post by Leviticus_Tomethreus »

Interesting. All I can guess is that it’s an export stove. That looks like German writing I think.
My friends don’t call me “Lantern/lampie Levi” for nothin’,if they did call me that.
Looking for bday lanterns 8/38, 8/41,
10/25, and 8/07
The biggest lie I tell myself is ”I don’t need to write that down, I’ll remember it.”
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing everyday” -A.A. Milne
Now officially ICCC member #1995. Most likely the youngest member with a registered name.

You guessed it, Levi Tomey 
Newfie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Newfie »

That's awesome.

Did you find it in Canada?
Shane Looking for the following Canadian birthday lanterns or lamps: 2-32, 6-34,
Erwin
Colemanaholic

Post by Erwin »

Must be something VERY special! :o
The second line reads: for gasoline only.
The third line is obviously an approval number from PTB (Physical Technical Bundesanstalt). They do tests on equipment and certify its safety.
Section 3 deals with "chemical physics and explosion protection".
Perhaps Coleman sent a stove to them to have it tested and certified before going on the market? :shock:
Unfortunately I couldn't find more info about the numbers.
If you want them to check their archives, send them a mail at "bernd dot guettler (att) ptb dot de. ;)
My homepage: http://www.eschaefer.de
Pls. see navigation on HP for Collectors Maps.
Barrett
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Barrett »

As someone who appreciates the 4's and the 4m I'd be mighty happy to have that unique stove.
Exceptionally cool if it was a "Crash test Dummy" for a new market?
Andrew

Living and learning in NZ
Hoping to reach cognitive and emotional maturity before my children do.
Kgam1020
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Kgam1020 »

That is really interesting! Nice score on a cool piece.
Ken.
Looking for Bday lanterns, 10/83, 11/84 and 10/2011.
Milspec Syndicate member #1020 
Northman49
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Northman49 »

It would help if we knew your location. Europe, N.A? You did mention export model.
She was only a moonshiner's daughter, but I loved her still.

I keep my tools sharp...but my mind sharper!
  Ed
                 ICCC no.1880
                 CANADIAN BLUES Member #023

Mil-spec ops #1982
Mr M

Post by Mr M »

Hey again everyone.

Sorry for dropping a single photo late in the evening and not providing more details.

This stove turned up from an antique dealer here in Southern Idaho. I was assuming export model because the plaque is in German. I don't know how she got it, other than I did pick up a Canadian iron trivet from her at the same time.

Big thanks for all the help and thoughts so far. Erwin, thank you for translating.

I took another quick peek this morning (and I promise more pictures later today, when I get off work) and noticed a few things.

The Manifold looks like it may be cast, but it's definitely pipe between the two burners.

The tank is equipped oddly. It appears to have some sort of preheating tray, with instructions in German again, that is below the valve and part of the generator. It looks like a little tray, and is attached to the tank top. It also has some kind of overpressure valve (I think) on the top, in addition to the pump on one end, and filler cap on the other. The tank is a gold cylindrical tank similar to what you'd see on an early US 425. There is an extra hole in the front of the stove case for the tray to pass through with the generator to the burner.
--Aaron from Idaho--
Mr M

Post by Mr M »

Update, here are a few more photos showing the model number, and the oddball pressure release, as well as the little drip tray setup. If it was older, I would guess that was for preheating. There’s more (German, I think?) writing on the little drip tray.

The burner manifold and pipes are much heavier than a US stove, and attract a magnet,but don’t look the same as a usual cast setup.

Incidentally, I’m apparently missing the burner grate. Bummer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
--Aaron from Idaho--
Ridge Runner
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Ridge Runner »

Very Interesting stove! That valve and the chute-thingy that extends into the case sure is intriguing.

The info on that shield/tray has got to be some lighting instructions. Google translate can also give you the English translation if you enter it in. It was coming back with some stuff but I can't see enough from the pics and I can't read German to even begin to guess at what it could be. Can you get better pics of the lettering? If some of it is difficult to make out, you might try making a rubbing of the embossed information.

Hopefully Erwin will check back in!
— L.J.
In the foothills of the Berkshires, Western Massachusetts

Wanted: 10/2015 & 1/2020 Bday Lanterns
I love the smell of naphtha in the morning!
"Ain’t no need to watch where I’m goin’; just need to know where I’ve been" -Tow Mater
Willy
Colemanaholic

Post by Willy »

I spent some time at Rhein-Mein AB back in the 90s. "Nur Fur" auf Deutsch translates to "Only for".
Willy
Erwin
Colemanaholic

Post by Erwin »

Ridge Runner wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:41 am Very Interesting stove! That valve and the chute-thingy that extends into the case sure is intriguing.

The info on that shield/tray has got to be some lighting instructions. Google translate can also give you the English translation if you enter it in. It was coming back with some stuff but I can't see enough from the pics and I can't read German to even begin to guess at what it could be. Can you get better pics of the lettering? If some of it is difficult to make out, you might try making a rubbing of the embossed information.

Hopefully Erwin will check back in!
Very difficult to make out.
I can only guess the line below the valve could read like "Vor dem abstellen...." means "before shutting down...."

If you clean the pan some more and the writing is readable I'll try to help more with translation.
That stove is really unique. Are you thinking about asking the PTB for more details or do you want me to do so? :o
I'm so curious. :lol:
gpaguy
Colemanaholic

Post by gpaguy »

When you get this stove cleaned up you might want to contact Terry Marsh about it.

John
Mr M

Post by Mr M »

Erwin, I would greatly appreciate it if you would help me with contacting the PTB to see if there is any more information available about it.

LJ, I will try to either get a better picture this afternoon, or make a rubbing of it, or both.

Thanks again to all who are helping me demystify this.

I'll have to try to track down a grate for it and make it complete again.
--Aaron from Idaho--
Mr M

Post by Mr M »

Okay, writing from the tray ( I think ). I tried my best with a little flashlight, some pencil rubbing, and some light cleaning:

ZUM ANZÜNDEN
HEBEL

NACH 1 MINUTE
HEBEL
NACH UNTEN

VOR DEM ABSTELLEN
HEBEL 1 MINUTE VORHER
NACH OBEN OREHEN

Lighting instructions? Does it make sense?
--Aaron from Idaho--
Erwin
Colemanaholic

Post by Erwin »

Hi Aaron.
Yes, lighting instructions. Makes sense. :P

Translation:
To light
lever
up

after one minute
lever
down

befor shut down
lever 1 minute before
turn up.

Not grammatically translated correcty but I hope that helps :lol:
Stovie
Colemanaholic

Post by Stovie »

Coleman instructions literature used to suggest running the stove with the lever back up in the "light" position for a minute prior to shutdown, this helps to burn off the heavier "end" fuel residues that might accumulate in the generator. This would also be particularly beneficial if one were forced to use something other than CF, I expect.

That stove is an "oddy" for sure.
Last edited by Stovie on Thu May 06, 2021 10:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change ready...
outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

Maybe the tray is an "ashtray" for matches! :mrgreen:
[Logo%20Outlaw-half] 
Coleman Blue's 243's #341 - 275 Appreciation Syndicate member 0242
FAS #001 Confusing Future Generations of Collectors, One Lantern at a Time!

“A Human Being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, give orders, take orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook  a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.  Specialization is for insects.”            - Lazarus Long

burnt bacon
Colemanaholic

Re:

Post by burnt bacon »

Stovie wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:47 am Coleman instructions literature used to suggest running the stove with lever down for a minute prior to shutdown, this helps to burn off the heavier "end" fuel residues that might accumulate in the generator. This would also be particularly beneficial if one were forced to use something other than CF, I expect.

That stove is an "oddy" for sure.
Sure you don't mean lever up on this...?
Stovie at heart...
Stovie
Colemanaholic

Post by Stovie »

Doh! Yes, you are correct. "Up". We regret the error
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change ready...