Losing the Collecting Bug....

Meet and greet members, general topics, show your stuff, recent/weekend finds.
rainjer

Losing the Collecting Bug....

Post by rainjer »

I have bee thinking about this for some time now.....
I started collecting Coleman stuff around 2008 and now I am losing the bug. I used to have all of my lanterns and small stove on display in the house but now most of my collection in in boxes stored in the garage. I currently only have 9 lanterns and my Kero-lite in the house. The lack of interest started last fall when I decided to go thru my boxes and sell some of my more common stuff. Now I am considering selling most of what I have in the boxes. I just don't have the passion I had before. I just don't enjoy fettling with the lanterns and and stoves any more for some reason. I think being home 14 months due to the COVID-19 pandemic has changed my perspective on my priorities and show me there are other activities and hobbies I enjoy more than this one. If I do decide to start selling stuff I will most likely try selling locally before I offer anything online to avoid the shipping hassles.

Jeremy
mksmth
Super Colemanaholic

Re: Losing the Collecting Bug....

Post by mksmth »

Well that's stinks but I can completely understand how you're feeling. I still enjoy the hunt and the repair process. What's making it hard for me to stay interested is just the price these days.
Mike
ICCC #2030
Coleman quick lite crew #51
275 syndicate #0429
Love flathead Ford's, tropical plants and Coleman lantern.
looking for a dual fuel Northstar, any quick lite especially a Slant, maroon vent for a kamplite rl-2 PM if you have one.  
kellyblues
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by kellyblues »

Hey Jeremy! Long time no see. I've had to walk away from it a couple of times for different reasons so I get what you're saying. And the prices these days takes a lot of the fun out of it. Back when we all joined here it wasn't hard for all of us to go out and find a pickup truck full in a weekend without spending a bunch of money. Those days are long gone.
Hope all is well
Milspec syndicate #0044
ICCC member # 1154
Still learning how NOT to do things.
Sierra_Roadrunner

Post by Sierra_Roadrunner »

Interests and collections sometimes go in cycles Jeremy. Don't get rid of it all as in a few years you might find yourself afflicted with the Coleman/ GPA bug again. It hurts to start from scratch all over again.
Joe
ICCC# 1893

" Curiosity is natural to the soul of man and interesting objects have a profound influence on our affections." - Daniel Boone
Phredd
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Phredd »

+1. Or at least save a few of your favorite lanterns.

Phredd
ICCC#1799
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #40
brucesheehe
Super Colemanaholic
Title: ECCENTRIC BLOCKHEAD

Post by brucesheehe »

Take a break - a vacation. You may need a hobby next winter or so.
Bruce Sheehe, aka ECCENTRIC BLOCKHEAD
ICCC #889 - Connoisseur of Time, Friends, Leisure, & Coleman   Altoona, PA - The Mountain City - Near The Eastern USA Continental Divide
rainjer

Post by rainjer »

Sierra_Roadrunner wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:05 pm Interests and collections sometimes go in cycles Jeremy. Don't get rid of it all as in a few years you might find yourself afflicted with the Coleman/ GPA bug again. It hurts to start from scratch all over again.
I am not getting rid of everything. I will be keeping my Ted for sure and several other pieces that have sentimental value. I will most likely be parting with my 2018 Season's lantern. It is cool to have but it is not one of my favorites....
rainjer

Post by rainjer »

brucesheehe wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:01 pm Take a break - a vacation. You may need a hobby next winter or so.
My wood working hobby will keep me busy...

Jeremy
Whitegas Extraordinaire
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Whitegas Extraordinaire »

rainjer wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:30 pm
brucesheehe wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:01 pm Take a break - a vacation. You may need a hobby next winter or so.
My wood working hobby will keep me busy...

Jeremy
Jeremy
May I ask , never mind you never respond.
Last edited by Whitegas Extraordinaire on Tue May 04, 2021 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thank you!
Kevin

I may frighten easily!
My current shade is Coleman!!
To me a lamp without a shade is creepy!

ICCC # 1865

Bumpkin_95
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Bumpkin_95 »

I hate to hear that. But it has happened to me with hobbies before as well. Deer hunting was a big one. Used to live for fall. Now it just doesn’t do it for me anymore. I would rather still hunt for squirrel. I could not sit in a blind or a stand right now. Don’t really know why just how people are wired I guess.
My other personality’s call me Lee
Milspec Syndicate member #1995
Lick a lantern just hanging out
Iccc member #1927
thezman
Colemanaholic

Post by thezman »

Been there myself. All gone but a few users, kept a couple 242 franks and a Slant converted to quick lite. Oh, and the HC500.
Sold some good ones, 227, Arc, 427 pecker pump, all the 327's and the Air-o.
M1950's, 530's, all the small stoves.
To be honest, I don't regret selling any of them, except the HGP460.
I do still occasionally go on the hunt, but won't buy anything except the golden egg items.
I'm Larry most of the time.
Up to Light

Post by Up to Light »

Go camping!