I stumbled across these today, single burner and a gas lamp.

Meet and greet members, general topics, show your stuff, recent/weekend finds.
pumps

I stumbled across these today, single burner and a gas lamp.

Post by pumps »

I was looking at my local craigslist last night and this morning went and picked up this 502 single burner from 75' . They had a couple of lanterns too, I bought one and gifted it to my tinkering buddy Bill. The second 502 was terribly rusted , I wasn't interested. The one I DID buy lit right up. I still need to clean it.

The other cool thing I found today at an estate sale. I was looking through the listing of sales with the wife and they had a couple lanterns that caught my eye and I saw something that looked like cross between a lamp and a lantern. I thought I saw a base with a filler cap and a valve and maybe a pump? I didn't know. So the wife and I wandered over to this sale and I looked around a little and didn't see the lanterns and when I asked the lady running it she said they were sold. When I was upstairs my wife said look at that. There was the lamp thing. So what I have bought is an American Gas Machine model 256-A pressurized gas lamp circa 1928 . It doesn't have a pump, it has a Schrader valve to pressurize it. The filler cap won't come off with my hand , haven't tried pliers YET. Pretty cool. Anyone know anything about these things?

Coast_to_Coast
Colemanaholic

Re: I stumbled across these today, single burner and a gas lamp.

Post by Coast_to_Coast »

I like that lamp shade!
-Bird- Wisconsin
“I don’t want another lantern, I just want the last one again”
ICCC#1776     The Coleman Blue‘s 243’s #143
Whitegas Extraordinaire
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Whitegas Extraordinaire »

Even before I read your post I need to post my reaction.
Hmm, Oooooooo!

Thank you!
Kevin

I may frighten easily!
My current shade is Coleman!!
To me a lamp without a shade is creepy!

ICCC # 1865

Whitegas Extraordinaire
Super Colemanaholic

pumps wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:24 pm I was looking at my local craigslist last night and this morning went and picked up this 502 single burner from 75' . They had a couple of lanterns too, I bought one and gifted it to my tinkering buddy Bill. The second 502 was terribly rusted , I wasn't interested. The one I DID buy lit right up. I still need to clean it.

The other cool thing I found today at an estate sale. I was looking through the listing of sales with the wife and they had a couple lanterns that caught my eye and I saw something that looked like cross between a lamp and a lantern. I thought I saw a base with a filler cap and a valve and maybe a pump? I didn't know. So the wife and I wandered over to this sale and I looked around a little and didn't see the lanterns and when I asked the lady running it she said they were sold. When I was upstairs my wife said look at that. There was the lamp thing. So what I have bought is an American Gas Machine model 256-A pressurized gas lamp circa 1928 . It doesn't have a pump, it has a Schrader valve to pressurize it. The filler cap won't come off with my hand , haven't tried pliers YET. Pretty cool. Anyone know anything about these things?
It had a pump at one time. It has a carb valve., factory AGM shade, paint looks good on the shade too bad about the large bite. I think that shade may have come in two sizes? I’d look forward to clarification.
With the pile of shades here I haven’t found a green agm yet.
Also I can’t spell carburetor.
Last edited by Whitegas Extraordinaire on Mon May 03, 2021 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thank you!
Kevin

I may frighten easily!

ICCC # 1865

10gage
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by 10gage »

I think the shade is original
James gage sizemore
milspec syndicate #1941
slant savers #68
quicklite crew#43
mksmth
Super Colemanaholic

Post by mksmth »

Sweet lamp!
Mike
ICCC #2030
Coleman quick lite crew #51
275 syndicate #0429
Love flathead Ford's, tropical plants and Coleman lantern.
looking for a dual fuel Northstar, any quick lite especially a Slant, maroon vent for a kamplite rl-2 PM if you have one.  
pumps

Post by pumps »

The shade unfortunately has several thumbnail size chips around the lower edge so if it IS original I forgive it. It originally had a pump? And then someone installed a Schrader? How do I go about getting this thing working?
Whitegas Extraordinaire
Super Colemanaholic

pumps wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:35 pm The shade unfortunately has several thumbnail size chips around the lower edge so if it IS original I forgive it. It originally had a pump? And then someone installed a Schrader? How do I go about getting this thing working?
I have one with a pump but it hasn’t been fettled yet and I’ve never ran one.
Not exactly sure what the carb valve does but I’ve read about them here.
I’m thinking along the way the carb valve had an issue or was misunderstood.

Yes that is an AGM shade. I’d forgive it being 90 years old and all!

Thank you!
Kevin

I may frighten easily!

ICCC # 1865

25_502s
Super Colemanaholic

Post by 25_502s »

Nice!! I have that shade in the “white” version but that one is definitely on my want list.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jason
not looking for any more Bday gpas. Honestly, if you have a 10-72 don’t let me know about it.
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0214
Coleman Slant Saver #56
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #31
A50Chris

Post by A50Chris »

Being an AGM and brass you should use a tire pump or compressor to put 20 lbs of air in the tank then put it in about 2 inches or so of water to see if any air bubbles show. This model is known for stress cracks but perhaps you will be fortunate and not find any. These are supposedly instant lighting, you open the carb valve and apply a lit match to the mantles. You might want to preheat the generator the first few times you run it applying less preheat each time.
Good luck,
chris
pumps

Post by pumps »

What fuel does it use? Coleman?
mksmth
Super Colemanaholic

Post by mksmth »

Very nice lamp! The valve is very similar to Coleman about a turn open allows air and fuel and then fully open allows just fuel.
Mike
ICCC #2030
Coleman quick lite crew #51
275 syndicate #0429
Love flathead Ford's, tropical plants and Coleman lantern.
looking for a dual fuel Northstar, any quick lite especially a Slant, maroon vent for a kamplite rl-2 PM if you have one.  
A Seabee

Post by A Seabee »

Nice scores, especially the lamp!
Jeepstircrazy
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Jeepstircrazy »

A50Chris wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:28 am Being an AGM and brass you should use a tire pump or compressor to put 20 lbs of air in the tank then put it in about 2 inches or so of water to see if any air bubbles show. This model is known for stress cracks but perhaps you will be fortunate and not find any. These are supposedly instant lighting, you open the carb valve and apply a lit match to the mantles. You might want to preheat the generator the first few times you run it applying less preheat each time.
Good luck,
chris
What he said! And yes Coleman fuel...is the fuel ..
Wayne signing off...

What's the lowest you'll take for this lantern?                                                

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

"I'm not sure if I actually have freetime or if I just keep forgetting stuff!"
( Thanks for that one Uncle Sidney!) :D

And oh... I don't flip GPA's... I have gifted several though. :D