Machine shop stuff from last week (for tandm7 and yall)

Meet and greet members, general topics, show your stuff, recent/weekend finds.
Deanofid

Machine shop stuff from last week (for tandm7 and yall)

Post by Deanofid »

Hi all;
Thought a few of you might be interested in this little job for Mark, aka tandm7 here on the forum. He has a stove fuel tank that needed a new fuel bung, and I made him one only to find out later that the original bung had a tapered thread inside, so I started over on that bung. Since Coleman used a non-standard thread for these stoves, which is a 1/2" diameter thread with a taper of .1" per inch and 32 TPI, I needed to make a tap to get this job going.

1.jpg
I started out using one of the small high speed lathes to get the taper correct. That takes a few tries and you can see a piece of brass I experimented on in the micrometer in the above pic. Also, my notes for the thread are jotted down on the bench top, in hopes that I won't get this taper wrong more than two or three times.

2.jpg
The end of this brass piece that has the blue mark around it is the correct taper, according to my kalk-a-lashuns.

3.jpg
I trade the piece of brass for a piece of drill steel. This steel is called that because before the days of high speed steel, this is what all drill bits used to be made from. It is in its soft state when you buy it, but it will harden like glass with the right amount of heat, and a quench. Here, in the pic above, the taper has been cut onto the drill steel.

4.jpg
Turn it around in the chuck and I cut the shank on it so it fits a standard sized collet.

5.jpg
And here is the complete blank, now with a couple of wrench flats milled on the non-cutting end.

6.jpg
Here is the setup in the larger lathe that is needed to cut the tapered threads. The end of the lathe where the power comes from is called the headstock, and it is farthest away from you in the pic. The end with the red X is the tailstock end, which is what you would normally use to drill holes while turning a workpiece in the lathe headstock, but at the moment, the tailstock has been adjusted over to the left about 1/4" (roughly) to allow the lathe to cut the tapered threads on the piece that will become the threads for a new tap.

7.jpg
Here is the piece after a couple passes at 32 threads per inch. Setting over the tailstock as described in the above paragraph kind of "fools" the lathe into thinking it is just cutting normal straight threads, which are what are needed 99% of the time. Since the tailstock is set over some, I end up with threads cut on a taper.

8.jpg
Now, with the threads on the tap cut, I have to cut some relief grooves in the threads so there is a place for the metal chips to go when the tap is cutting.
I started with a 1/8" end mill just to get the grooves started.

9.jpg
Then I use what is called a ball end mill to finish the grooves. The ball end mill cuts a semicircle at the bottom of the slot it is cutting. The semicircle shape of the cut makes the tap stronger than if I used a regular end mill, which cuts 90 deg corners. The place where the corners meet where a regular end mill has made a cut will cause what are called "stress risers" after the tap is hardened, and it will be prone to split or shatter where those sharp corners are in the slot/groove. The ball end mill makes a nice round bottom to the slot, which lessens stress on the hardened tap.

10.jpg
The completed tap and the blank for the new bung, next to the old straight thread bung. The tap has yet to be hardened.

11.jpg
Before I get to hardening things, I first need to make a tapered reamer with the same angle of taper as the tap has, but smaller in diameter so the tap will have some material left to cut threads. For this piece I used some 4140 chrome moly steel I had in the junk bin. It has enough carbon in it to get hard enough to cut brass after it has been hardened and quenched.

12.jpg
Put the reamer blank in a collet block.

13.jpg
And then use a cigarette paper to touch off with then end mill. These cig papers are .001" thick, so I know that when I trap the paper between the end mill cutter and the work piece, I have .001" left to go before the end mill touches.

14.jpg
Then I can cut the reamer shape by lowering the end mill 1/2 the diameter of the 4140 steel rod, and make my cut.

15.jpg
With the 4140 hardened by heating it to red, and holding it at that color for about a minute, then quenching it, this particular alloy gets hard enough to cut brass and will cut soft steel for a short while, too.
I drilled a pilot hole in the new fuel bung piece, and then reamed out the hole so it has the needed taper to match the threads on the valve.

16.jpg
Here is the tap, (drill rod alloy, which is real tool steel) after hardening. It still has to be tempered, and that is why you see the part of the shank directly behind the threads have been polished clean. It needs to be shiny so I can watch the color change as I re-heat it to temper the steel. Left completely hard, as it is now, it is likely to break in use. Tempering takes away the really glass hard quality it now has and makes it less brittle, while still remaining tough enough to cut other materials.

17.jpg
It is hard to tell in this pic, but the color circled in red is what the shank behind the threads looks like after tempering. It is actually blue, but appears black in the pic. I used the color of the re-heated tap shank to judge the thread cutting part of the tap for hardness. Needs to be very hard, but I don't want it to shatter.

18.jpg
And all of that stuff above just to get to this pic. Tapping the tapered thread.

19.jpg
The finished bung. You can see the tapered threads on the inside. The outside does not require threads actually, but I put on a coarse thread just as a safety factor. It screws into the hole in the fuel tank, even though the hole in the tank is just the thickness of sheet metal. The threads add a little safety to the integrity of the bung joint, since besides solder holding it, it will also have a true mechanical attachment via the threads.

20.jpg
And that's her done. I got the tap pretty close to right, even with my backwoods machinist blackboard math. The tapered thread of the valve goes right in and starts getting good and snug at five turns.

21.jpg
One last thing, and one of my least favorites of any job that includes tapers made via "tailstock set-over method". Re-aliging the tailstock to be square with the world of the lathe. The bar between the centers on the head and tail ends has precisely turned larger diameters on each end. Using a dial indicator and the set-over function of the tailstock, after a bit of fiddling I got the lathe to read out zero/zero over the length of the test shaft. Good to go on the next job. Hope it's not turning more tapers.... :)

Thanks for having a look. For anyone on dial-up, really sorry for all the pics!
Dean
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dean -Midnight Kerosene Ritualist--Deans Machine:  Deansmachine.com  
ICCC #1220.   275 commiseration #0018.
"In Him was life, and His life was the Light of men."  John 1:4
mgmlvks
Super Colemanaholic

Re: Machine shop stuff from last week (for tandm7 and yall)

Post by mgmlvks »

W-O-W, Thanks for sharing such an interesting project!
Mike, ICCC member #1156, Slant Saver Group #011, 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0215, FAS #20 - Confusing Future Generations of Collectors One Lantern at a Time
"In order for the light to shine so brightly, the darkness must be present"Francis Bacon
(and - for those who have asked - avatar from postcard and says "Coming Home by Rail".  https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4595/2743 ... be00_z.jpg  
1hpycmpr
Super Colemanaholic

Post by 1hpycmpr »

I was following along just fine until you said, “I need to make a tap to get this job going”. 🙂
I may not understand everything you did to make the tap but I sure enjoy seeing you do the things you do, Dean. You have done some work for me and every time I use those lamps, I thank you and realize how fortunate we are to have you here.
Mark
*Stargazer*
25_502s
Super Colemanaholic

Post by 25_502s »

Too cool!! Your skills are definitely a blessing to you and many that surround you.
Jason
not looking for any more Bday gpas. Honestly, if you have a 10-72 don’t let me know about it.
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0214
Coleman Slant Saver #56
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #31
Pancholoco1911
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Pancholoco1911 »

Wow, excellent work as always Dean. Now you got another client to use your tap, I need to convert a 275 fount to accept the 220 thread size valve.

I’ll sent a PM

Thanks again for make this happen to us.
~Pancho~

ICCC MEMBER #: 1993
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

Well done Dean! I agree re-setting everything back to zero is the least fun part of any project and one I try to avoid at all costs 😁
Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
Bob1774
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Bob1774 »

Amazing as always to see your magical craftsmanship. There is another thread regarding "best job you ever had," and I hope that you know that your talents put you in a category by yourself.
What a pleasure to watch a genius craftsman at work. Great job and documentation.
Last edited by Bob1774 on Tue May 04, 2021 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

Very very cool Dean! Thanks for sharing that. Can't say that I understood all that you were doing but am extra impressed that you made the tool needed to do the job.
-Jim

I threw a boomerang a couple years ago; I now live in constant fear.

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?
outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

Beautiful work and documentation (again) Dean! I love when you post this kind of thing!
[Logo%20Outlaw-half] 
Coleman Blue's 243's #341 - 275 Appreciation Syndicate member 0242
FAS #001 Confusing Future Generations of Collectors, One Lantern at a Time!

“A Human Being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, give orders, take orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook  a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.  Specialization is for insects.”            - Lazarus Long

rob_pontius
Super Colemanaholic

Post by rob_pontius »

Awesome work Dean. I love seeing things come together like this. Making things from nothing has always been a huge part of my life. I'm not a machinist by any means, but I can definitely respect your knowledge of your trade. Not anyone can do what you do. Thank you for giving us all a glimpse into your world again.
Rob
EagleScout72

Post by EagleScout72 »

You have some amazing skills, Dean. I'm sure it takes a lot of patience to do work like that.
Scott
ICCC # 1377
Looking for lanterns with dates 5/55, 7/56, 3/80
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate Member #0102
MilSpecOps Member # 011
The Coleman Blues 243's #156

Deanofid

Post by Deanofid »

Thanks guys.

I started learning this trade around 1985, or maybe a little later, after I had been a certified welder for some years. When my back got too bad to work the welding jobs (just couldn't pick stuff up any more) it came in handy to have a second metal related craft to turn to. By around '94-'95, I'd had close to 10 years training/working at the machinist gig as I worked at it part time and after hours when I was still a welder.
xvz12
Colemanaholic

Post by xvz12 »

Dean, you are a true artist....I really enjoy seeing these projects! :cf_clapping: :cf_bravo: :cf_clapping:
Wynn - xvz12

ICCC#1560
MilSpecOps Syndicate #77
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0150
Looking for almost anything kero... :cf_absolutely:
74HARLEY
Super Colemanaholic

Post by 74HARLEY »

You are quite amazing Dean, that was awesome!
Joe
looking for 200a 11-56,9-77,2-65 Coleman 275 appreciation syndicate member #0004 ICCC #1262
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #19
Frank appreciation syndicate member #9
Rhubarb
Serious Colemanaholic
Title: The Pie Plant

Post by Rhubarb »

The Dean-Fonz, your posts are great. Thanks again for sharing.
  Image- Andy
Coldwaterpaddler
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Coldwaterpaddler »

I've never seen the tailstock offset like that. I'd like to see a video of that thing spinning. Thanks for posting. Very interesting.
Stovie-Steve
"Don't let the weather run your life" - Steve
The Coleman Blues - #95
Erwin
Colemanaholic

Post by Erwin »

Wow, very impressing. :o
It's great to see what real expert folks can do. :cf_bravo:
My hat's off to you. :cf_howdyhat:
My homepage: http://www.eschaefer.de
Pls. see navigation on HP for Collectors Maps.
kellyblues
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by kellyblues »

Very nice, Dean. Thank you taking the time to share. I always enjoy machining stuff. I had to sell my lathe recently because I don't have room at my new place.
Milspec syndicate #0044
ICCC member # 1154
Still learning how NOT to do things.
BSAGuy
Super Colemanaholic

Post by BSAGuy »

Fascinating, Dean. Like watching Beethoven compose a symphony. Thanks for sharing your talent with us.
- Courtenay
Be Prepared
Kgam1020
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Kgam1020 »

Wow Dean that was a awesome job! Nice write up and documentation!
Ken.
Looking for Bday lanterns, 10/83, 11/84 and 10/2011.
Milspec Syndicate member #1020 
TunkTop

Post by TunkTop »

Nice Job, Dean. I have a 6” Atlas that I play around with, but with nowhere near your skill. The problem is that my machinist mentor died before I had asked all the questions. I miss him dearly.
I loved seeing how you did this project.
E.B. Leland
Rubing
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Rubing »

Nicely done Dean
ICCC # 1402
Whitegas Extraordinaire
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Whitegas Extraordinaire »

Deanofid wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:14 am Thanks guys.

I started learning this trade around 1985, or maybe a little later, after I had been a certified welder for some years. When my back got too bad to work the welding jobs (just couldn't pick stuff up any more) it came in handy to have a second metal related craft to turn to. By around '94-'95, I'd had close to 10 years training/working at the machinist gig as I worked at it part time and after hours when I was still a welder.
My friend who is a model maker gets a little angry when I call him a machinist. He says machinist drill holes.
Making your own taps is something most people of the trade can not and do not even consider doing. Here you have done this without a CNC machine.

All Hail Dean!

Thank you!
Kevin

I may frighten easily!
My current shade is Coleman!!
To me a lamp without a shade is creepy!

ICCC # 1865

Deanofid

Post by Deanofid »

I've never even had my hands on a CNC machine. It's all done with smoke and mirrors, (I.E. math and micrometer dials).
Kevin, I guess I built these just drilling holes. Tell your friend. I know you know better. :lol:
212.jpg
This engine runs on just the heat of a flame. A Sterling engine.

done3.jpg
The brass one is mine..

41.jpg
This is an actual working steam engine.

316.jpg
So is this one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bwperreault
Colemanaholic

Post by bwperreault »

I could watch you machine parts and tools all day. You do nice work Dean!
Brian
ISO 6-56, 7-88, 2-91 and 8-2020. Found a 1-91, it may be as close as I get.
Thank you to all servicemen and servicewomen, past and present.
My curious nature has gotten me into more trouble...
Canadian Blues Syndicate number 60!
byegorge

Post by byegorge »

How does the headstock accomodate the offset tailstock?
George
kiwi

Post by kiwi »

Yes I am still trying to figure that out myself.
Geoff
Kiwi
clifforddward

Post by clifforddward »

Nice write-up Dean....looks like a Taig lathe you are using there...certainly this proves how much can be accomplished using these affordable little lathes....I have always been impressed with their accuracy...good value for the price, and excellent when used within their envelope of capability.
Cliff Ward
Cary, North Carolina
ICCC #1955
Wanted: USFS lanterns with embossed fount...complete lantern or just the fount.
Mister_Wilson
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Mister_Wilson »

Thanks for documenting and sharing. I find this all very fascinating. It’s cool that you found a way to repurpose your old rolling papers also Lol!
John
H.C. Lanterns dealer
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #2001 A Turd's Odyssey
Canadian Blues #028
Coleman Slant Saver #31
Looking for 6-56 and 6-58 Birthday lanterns.
There's been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about.
kb0hae
Colemanaholic

Post by kb0hae »

Very Cool Dean! You have the skills and patience to do things that most of us could never dream of doing!
This post is created on a refurbished computer and is made entirely from recycled electrons!
Time to invent a time machine so I can go back to the 80s!
Martin
Dmacp
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Dmacp »

I remember you telling me how to do this once. Now I have a pictorial. Thanks for sharing.
Dan
ICCC member #604
Deanofid

Post by Deanofid »

byegorge wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 6:57 am How does the headstock accomodate the offset tailstock?
You do it by what is called "turning between centers". Any proper lathe can do this, and in the long ago days that was the only way turning could be done, since adjustable chucks for the headstock had not been invented.

On any lathe, there is a taper in the headstock spindle. The spindle is the part that the motor on the lathe spins, and then it usually has a mounting for a chuck on the end of the spindle. Normally, you use the chuck to hold your parts and just machine away.

Turning between centers is removing the chuck from the headstock and inserting a thing called a center in the taper of the headstock spindle. A center has a taper on one end to match the taper inside the headstock spindle which locks the center in place, and on the other end it has a 60 deg point. The tailstock has the same kind of setup when you take out the drill chuck that is usually used in the tailstock.

So, you remove the chucks from the head and tail stocks, and put in centers. The part you are working on has a hole drilled in each end, called a center hole, and then you can hold the part between centers. In order to get the part to spin when you turn on the lathe, you have what is called a "dog" clamped to the headstock end of the work piece. As the spindle turns, it turns the clamped on dog and the part spins.

Now, to the set-over for the tailstock. Since the part you are working on is now between centers, basically just being held between two small points on the head and tail stocks, the lathe doesn't care if it's in a straight line. Normally, you want a straight line for precision turning of parallel sided diameters. In this case, being the threaded part will be a taper, the work piece will have non-parallel sides on the diameter, thus the taper.

The tailstock has adjustments to move it closer and farther away from the headstock to allow for different lengths of stock, but it also has an adjustment that will let the tailstock be precisely adjusted closer to or farther away from the operator. By adjusting it closer to me, it creates a non parallel sided cut on the work piece. Once I had the correct taper for the threads I needed, I locked down the tailstock and started cutting.

This be a lot of reading to explain something that pictures would tell better, but I don't want to upset the tailstock on the threading lathe to show pics, since I just got it dialed back in to cut parallel again.

Dean
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

Post by SteveRetherford »

Eh , if Dean needs a tool he just makes one !!! cant believe his skill level .
[DrSteve2]    Steve , Keeper of the Light !!!
Deanofid

Post by Deanofid »

clifforddward wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:20 pm Nice write-up Dean....looks like a Taig lathe you are using there...certainly this proves how much can be accomplished using these affordable little lathes....I have always been impressed with their accuracy...good value for the price, and excellent when used within their envelope of capability.
Hi Clifford;
Yes, the smaller lathe you see there is one of a couple of Taig lathes that I have here. I use them mostly for making small precise items, like gas tips. The have a high speed spindle compared to my larger lathes, and are exceptionally accurate. Accurate enough that I can drill quite a lot of .008" orifice holes before breaking a bit, which is of particular importance since the bits for that size of hole are $12 each and come only in packs of 10. Also, having a number of tailstocks for the Taig lathe lets me switch out complete tailstocks with tooling already set up in each one of the four that I have, and gives me a better time at production when making things like generator nuts and gas tips, etc.

I also have a Whitcomb watch maker's lathe for the occasional extra fine job, and a couple of larger threading lathes. One is a 618 Atlas that will thread more different thread counts than any lathe I know until you get up to a Monarch EE lathe. The other threading lathe, shown in this thread is an import that has a nice variable speed DC motor and a controller that makes speed adjustment very easy, but it lacks a quick change gear box, which I miss from my old days running the big lathes.
Now my shop is in a spare room in my home, which explains the need for smaller machines. The heaviest machine I have now is around 350 pounds, but it will take a pretty good cut for a small lathe. All that I need for my current work style now, anyway.
Thanks,
Dean
mgmlvks
Super Colemanaholic

Post by mgmlvks »

So interesting - glad I don't have a lathe as I am pretty sure all my spare time and extra money would get involved with it!

This video shows cutting a taper with offset centers -
https://www.wisc-online.com/learn/caree ... offset-met
Mike, ICCC member #1156, Slant Saver Group #011, 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0215, FAS #20 - Confusing Future Generations of Collectors One Lantern at a Time
"In order for the light to shine so brightly, the darkness must be present"Francis Bacon
(and - for those who have asked - avatar from postcard and says "Coming Home by Rail".  https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4595/2743 ... be00_z.jpg  
MartyJ
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by MartyJ »

Even when you patiently explain I don’t understand it. I am convinced you are a magician and do this work with spells and potions. You are the Harry Potter of metal work. It was fascinating to follow even though I couldn’t complete one step.
Marty
Dvan95

Post by Dvan95 »

Very cool stuff from the master of the shop himself! I love steam engines and started my own but lantern-ing takes priority 9 out of 10 times. Typing this after studying my textbook for third year machining apprenticeship 👍 you do amazing work
-Dan

Coleman Quick Lite Crew #048

Anyone have a 6/95 birthday lantern?
MYN927
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by MYN927 »

Amazing work, Dean. You're truly a master in your craft. Indeed a world of difference from the rather rough work in many of the local machine shops in my area.
Drilling those 0.008-0.0085" gas tip orifices on a large, MIC lathe wasn't fun.
I'd be sending some parts to you if not for the fact that I'm just too far away from the US.
I did however, managed to get some parts, for instance, a 237 made with great difficulty: the tip cleaner stem assembly, and its graphite packing, generator, gas tip, the bush where the gen enters the burner frame, a valve knob(machined out of fiber instead of moulded bakelite) and the spirit cup. I had to make out the approximate dimensions and drawings for the machinist before he'd agree to do it. A real chore for me since I do not have all the actual sample pieces and only able to 'guess-timate' and imagine some of the approximate dimensions based on pictures from the web.
Pretty tough for me in a land where old Coleman stuffs are as rare as hen's teeth.
clifforddward

Post by clifforddward »

Hi Dean:
Funny you mention your machine shop being in a spare room of your house...I thought I was the only one in that situation...my workshop is in a spare bedroom which shares space with my work office now that COVID-19 had turned the software firm I work for into 100% remote.

It helps that I have the most understanding wife in the world...although she tells me if my shop was outside the house she'd never see me!

My main equipment is a 9" SB and Benchmaster Mill, along with a Sherline Mill and Sherline Lathe.....between these and related support equipment I'm able to handle most of my hobby needs.
Lathe in shop.jpg
DSC03904.JPG
Cliff Ward
Cary, North Carolina
ICCC #1955
byegorge

Post by byegorge »

Thank you Dean, the written explanation was perfect just what I needed. I just could not picture how the work would 'bend' coming out of the chuck. The last time I got to play on a metal lathe was in High school on 6' war surplus lathes.
George
Deanofid

Post by Deanofid »

Cliff, I love that Benchmaster mill! I wonder how many of them would be found these days complete with the table feed? What a neat little machine.
clifforddward

Post by clifforddward »

Yes Dean, it was a lucky break when I found this Benchmaster mill about 20 years ago in upstate New York...The table feed has been a welcome addition to the mill. Not very common to have the power feed as a lot of these Benchmasters were set up for secondary operations and typically had lever feed set-ups.

When I got the mill it also came with the horizontal set up pieces...wasn't going to ever use them so sold the parts to offset my cost of the mill.

As you can imagine retramming takes a while so I avoid tilting the head unless no other way to mill an angle.
Cliff Ward
Cary, North Carolina
ICCC #1955
Rfieldbuilds
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Rfieldbuilds »

Thanks for posting some of what happens behind the curtain Dean. This is all fascinating to me and I have zero experience machining so its an interesting journey to voyeur into some of the magic.
I know its a pain to stop and photo documents as well beings how it slows down the process. Then having to follow with writing a narrative adds just a bit more.
Rest assured we all enjoy these little snippets. Thanks for the edutainment.
Randy
QL #15, Slant Saver #59, #0269 Turd Hurdler, #0269 Mil Spec Syndicate, Coleman Blues 243 #0269, BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #072, Sears Traveler 2.0 Host #1, and a few others too.