Epay 200A resurrection

Meet and greet members, general topics, show your stuff, recent/weekend finds.
A Seabee

Epay 200A resurrection

Post by A Seabee »

I was jonesing for a 200A, so I bought this little red wonder, 1 59, my first. Probably payed too much, but it wasn't a fortune either. It hadn't run in God knows how long, but was complete. cleaned the varnish out with BBs and a mix of fuel, WD40, and Berrymans, washed her up a bit, cleaned the fuel air tube, stretched the spring. removed and cleaned the check valve, cleaned and oiled the leather. It's a bit hard to pump. does the pressure pipe ever get plugged?
TwoCanoes
Serious Colemanaholic

Re: Epay 200A resurrection

Post by TwoCanoes »

There's a snorkle attached at the base of the pump tube that opens near the top of the fount. The air you pump into the fount passes through this snorkle, and yes, it can get plugged. I had a plugged snorkle on a 400B stove. Soaked it overnight in denatured alcohol, and I was able to force the plug out the next morning just by pushing hard on the pump.
Stewart
A Seabee

Post by A Seabee »

TwoCanoes wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:44 am There's a snorkle attached at the base of the pump tube that opens near the top of the fount. The air you pump into the fount passes through this snorkle, and yes, it can get plugged. I had a plugged snorkle on a 400B stove. Soaked it overnight in denatured alcohol, and I was able to force the plug out the next morning just by pushing hard on the pump.
Thank you. If it doesn't get better on it's own I may give that a try. you just fill the fount with the alcohol?
Bumpkin_95
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Bumpkin_95 »

Looks good. Try the alcohol or some carb cleaner in the pump barrel. Give it 1 pump to force it past the check valve and in to the snorkel then let it sit over night and try it the next day. Good luck and nice lantern.
My other personality’s call me Lee
Milspec Syndicate member #1995
Lick a lantern just hanging out
Iccc member #1927
kellyblues
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by kellyblues »

A Seabee wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:53 am
TwoCanoes wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:44 am There's a snorkle attached at the base of the pump tube that opens near the top of the fount. The air you pump into the fount passes through this snorkle, and yes, it can get plugged. I had a plugged snorkle on a 400B stove. Soaked it overnight in denatured alcohol, and I was able to force the plug out the next morning just by pushing hard on the pump.
Thank you. If it doesn't get better on it's own I may give that a try. you just fill the fount with the alcohol?
Do not fill it with alcohol. If it has the factory sealant on the floor of the fount alcohol will cause it to peel up. I usually put some cfuel in the pump tube and push it in the snorkel and let it sit. That and time usually takes car of it. I just did this on a 249. Literally started getting better the next day.
Milspec syndicate #0044
ICCC member # 1154
Still learning how NOT to do things.
1hpycmpr
Super Colemanaholic

Post by 1hpycmpr »

Looking nice and burning bright! You got that one looking good for a 62 year old lantern.
Mark
*Stargazer*
Kgam1020
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Kgam1020 »

That is a nice 200A! Looks nice and bright!
Ken.
Looking for Bday lanterns, 10/83, 11/84 and 10/2011.
Milspec Syndicate member #1020 
TwoCanoes
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by TwoCanoes »

kellyblues wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:16 am Do not fill it with alcohol. If it has the factory sealant on the floor of the fount alcohol will cause it to peel up. I usually put some cfuel in the pump tube and push it in the snorkel and let it sit. That and time usually takes car of it. I just did this on a 249. Literally started getting better the next day.
Thanks for catching that, kellyblues. The stove I cleared with alcohol didn't have the fount lining, and, correct me if I'm wrong, but 200As from 1959 didn't, either. But you're right - I have used alcohol to try to remove the lining on lanterns in which the lining has started to blister. As Bumpkin_95 suggests, carb cleaner might be a good alternative too, but be sure not to get the carb cleaner on the fount's paint. It's a great paint remover.
Stewart
kellyblues
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by kellyblues »

TwoCanoes wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:27 pm
kellyblues wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:16 am Do not fill it with alcohol. If it has the factory sealant on the floor of the fount alcohol will cause it to peel up. I usually put some cfuel in the pump tube and push it in the snorkel and let it sit. That and time usually takes car of it. I just did this on a 249. Literally started getting better the next day.
Thanks for catching that, kellyblues. The stove I cleared with alcohol didn't have the fount lining, and, correct me if I'm wrong, but 200As from 1959 didn't, either. But you're right - I have used alcohol to try to remove the lining on lanterns in which the lining has started to blister. As Bumpkin_95 suggests, carb cleaner might be a good alternative too, but be sure not to get the carb cleaner on the fount's paint. It's a great paint remover.
I don't remember the exact years tbh. I just make it a habit to never use it. Another method I use if the snorkel is clogged. Remove everything above the valve assembly, remove check valve, fill 3/4 with Coleman fuel, pump a few times , place it upside down in a metal pot or bucket and leave in the direct sun light. The clog is normally closer to the pump since it's the oil from the pump and leather fragments that clog it most of the time.

Another way is using a hydraulic slammer. I believe Mike sells them. I made myself one years ago. It's slightly smaller than the pump tube. Put fluid in the pump tube, insert tool and whack with a hammer. This works very well. The only thing I don't like about it is it pushes the gunk into the fount.
Milspec syndicate #0044
ICCC member # 1154
Still learning how NOT to do things.
A Seabee

Post by A Seabee »

I think I’ll try the alcohol or cf in the pump tube first and see what happens. I went out this morning before work and pumping it up seemed a little easier with just having used it last night.
But, any way that the clog is cleared is going to dump into the fount, right? And will a little alcohol in the fount with the fuel cause any problems? Or should I dump that tank and rinse again after the snorkel clears?
Dmacp
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Dmacp »

fill the fount with boiling water, cap it and invert it. The heat will melt the congealed pump lube in the "snorkel" and you can clear it with the pump.
Dan
ICCC member #604
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

To remove sludge and rust, I use boiling citric. In this case, plain boiling water may work fine. However, one difference from Dan's suggestion that I would use is to fill with boiling water, tip the lantern so the boiling water gets into the snorkel, then leave it sitting right side up. Although both methods would likely work.

Just make certain there's no pressure in the fount with the boiling water. The check valve does a great job of holding back the air, not so with liquid. If there's pressure and you open the pump, any liquid in the snorkel and check valve may squirt out at you.
-Jim

I threw a boomerang a couple years ago; I now live in constant fear.

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

kellyblues wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:16 am
A Seabee wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:53 am
Do not fill it with alcohol. If it has the factory sealant on the floor of the fount alcohol will cause it to peel up. I usually put some cfuel in the pump tube and push it in the snorkel and let it sit. That and time usually takes car of it. I just did this on a 249. Literally started getting better the next day.
It's 1/'59. No fount liner.

I use carb cleaner for this. It's much better at dissolving the varnish, as that's what it was formulated for. Just don't get any on the paint. Carb cleaner will also burn just fine, so a partial pump tube full isn't a problem--no need to drain fuel.
It's priceless until someone puts a price on it.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Texan's last words: "Y'all--hold my beer--I wanta' try sumptin'."
Timm--Middle of nowhere, near the end of the road, Oregon.