What to do with that stinky old fuel?

Meet and greet members, general topics, show your stuff, recent/weekend finds.
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

What to do with that stinky old fuel?

Post by Tgarner01 »

Well give it to your thirstiest GPA of course 😁

These cans will probably be worth me then me someday... But they will go in the pile with the rest of the scrap 😉

It even burns!! Woohoo!!

Have a good day everybody! Hopefully it's not as wet and nasty as it is here in SW Missouri.
Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
Leviticus_Tomethreus
Super Colemanaholic

Re: What to do with that stinky old fuel?

Post by Leviticus_Tomethreus »

Haha. Of course it burns! It is indeed nasty here Toby. 😢
My friends don’t call me “Lantern/lampie Levi” for nothin’,if they did call me that.
Looking for bday lanterns 8/38, 8/41,
10/25, and 8/07
The biggest lie I tell myself is ”I don’t need to write that down, I’ll remember it.”
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing everyday” -A.A. Milne
Now officially ICCC member #1995. Most likely the youngest member with a registered name.

You guessed it, Levi Tomey 
25_502s
Super Colemanaholic

Post by 25_502s »

Why is it stinky? I thought it last forever basically? All I’ve ever used is the 12 40 year old cans I found in my uncle’s shop.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jason
not looking for any more Bday gpas. Honestly, if you have a 10-72 don’t let me know about it.
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0214
Coleman Slant Saver #56
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #31
mksmth
Super Colemanaholic

Post by mksmth »

that sucker has a nasty drinking habit.
Mike
ICCC #2030
Coleman quick lite crew #51
275 syndicate #0429
Love flathead Ford's, tropical plants and Coleman lantern.
looking for a dual fuel Northstar, any quick lite especially a Slant, maroon vent for a kamplite rl-2 PM if you have one.  
Hot_Diggity
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Hot_Diggity »

We had rain yesterday, but today it's 91 and sunny with a glorious breeze keeping me comfortable. Nice day to knock off early... again.

I like your waste fuel burner. I usually dump the stuff in a 237A. It seems to burn anything without any complaints.
Chuck, 3/61, ICCC 1689
Milspec Syndicate #510
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0510
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #12
BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #510
Coleman Slant Saver #510
Frank Appreciation Syndicate Member #2
Tinker, Toy maker, Trash picker, Wickie, Lamp loon
Vintageish

Post by Vintageish »

25_502s wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:05 pm Why is it stinky? I thought it last forever basically? All I’ve ever used is the 12 40 year old cans I found in my uncle’s shop.
Rough smelling or suspect looking fuel out of acquired old appliances is one source of stuff not desired for a favorite lantern or stove.
Rinsing founts out with clean fuel leaves some dirtier stuff that can be strained , but is still not the greatest quality remaining.

I nabbed a can that has been outside a very long time.
Was surprised it smelled great. (Not huffing it , just took a whiff.)
Not really interested in it for a pet lantern.
But I'll use it to rinse founts . And eventually probably burn it in a heat plant like the O.P. is doing.
Depending on what I rinse out of the heat plants fount. It looks pretty tarry....
Purty colors. Well , cept'n maybe that brown when it's on fire...
Kgam1020
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Kgam1020 »

Nice photos Toby! I usually put filtered older fuel in my 426, burns it no problem. Its been raining here in western mass for a since Sunday afternoon. I think we have a little break tomorrow..
Ken.
Looking for Bday lanterns, 10/83, 11/84 and 10/2011.
Milspec Syndicate member #1020 
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

25_502s wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:05 pm Why is it stinky? I thought it last forever basically? All I’ve ever used is the 12 40 year old cans I found in my uncle’s shop.
Jason I'm not sure why it smelled old... They were both opened cans... Maybe been stored in a non climate controlled environment?... Still good and clear, just had that old smell and the HGP didn't mind 😉
ICCC #1939
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

I use a 220 to burn off old fuel. If getting rid of old two-stroke pre-mix, I'll mix it 50/50 with RUG. Perhaps I no longer have a lot of respect for 220's. :)
-Jim

I threw a boomerang a couple years ago; I now live in constant fear.

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?
kellyblues
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by kellyblues »

JimL wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:12 pm I use a 220 to burn off old fuel. If getting rid of old two-stroke pre-mix, I'll mix it 50/50 with RUG. Perhaps I no longer have a lot of respect for 220's. :)
I've got a couple 220's I use for the same thing! That's funny. Lol. I didn't have that problem till I moved somewhere I didn't have an outside fire pit. I grabbed my two worst 220 beaters with no holes in the fount, made a couple coils for gen innards and burn away. I actually need to find the box those are in because I've got some fuel to burn.
Milspec syndicate #0044
ICCC member # 1154
Still learning how NOT to do things.
Rubing
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Rubing »

I dump fuel from found GPAs, CF, RUG, Kero and alcohol into cans and give it to Sandman to burn in his HGP
ICCC # 1402
Stovie
Colemanaholic

Post by Stovie »

There are no guarantees an old can of Coleman fuel hasn't been re-filled at some point with UG or K1 or 2 stroke mix, or golly knows what. CF has a slight blueish-green tint, and little to no odor, reminiscent of "lighter fluid". It does not sour or turn to gum or varnish.
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change ready...
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Re:

Post by Tgarner01 »

Stovie wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:12 pm There are no guarantees an old can of Coleman fuel hasn't been re-filled at some point with UG or K1 or 2 stroke mix, or golly knows what. CF has a slight blueish-green tint, and little to no odor, reminiscent of "lighter fluid". It does not sour or turn to gum or varnish.
I agree... Altho it will get a foul smell if it's been opened to the atmosphere for too long... Maybe evaporation? I've had many old lanterns and stoves with clear fuel have this smell I speak of... These two cans had it so the HGP will get it...
ICCC #1939
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

This

is stinky old fuel! That stuff looks pristine!

PS: Some 2-stroke oil is a greenish-blue color. 2 stroke has not worked well in lanterns in my experience. Constant spinning of the cleaner lever just to keep it going. I looked closer at the somewhat rusty top of the CF can I'd poured it from and sure enough, scratched into the top, faintly, were the words "Stihl chainsaw".
It's priceless until someone puts a price on it.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Texan's last words: "Y'all--hold my beer--I wanta' try sumptin'."
Timm--Middle of nowhere, near the end of the road, Oregon.
Stovie
Colemanaholic

Post by Stovie »

Colin Fletcher, in his book The Complete Walker, once allowed that "due to an improbable series of events" that the Sigg bottle he carried along on a hike contained not CF, but 2-stroke chainsaw mix. He was not a happy camper, but it did burn.

I'm not persuaded there is much of an intermediate state with Naptha. I've found old stoves with decades old fuel in them that is perfectly fine. If it's exposed to the atmosphere, I think it pretty much just evaporates. It has almost no residue, which is why it is used for panel wipe, brake cleaning and all sorts of things like that.
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Re:

Post by Gunhippie »

Stovie wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:18 pm Colin Fletcher, in his book The Complete Walker, once allowed that "due to an improbable series of events" that the Sigg bottle he carried along on a hike contained not CF, but 2-stroke chainsaw mix. He was not a happy camper, but it did burn.

I'm not persuaded there is much of an intermediate state with Naptha. I've found old stoves with decades old fuel in them that is perfectly fine. If it's exposed to the atmosphere, I think it pretty much just evaporates. It has almost no residue, which is why it is used for panel wipe, brake cleaning and all sorts of things like that.
Colin Fletcher was probably just running a Svea, Optimus or Primus stove. Those are pretty forgiving about fuel, but he probably had to replace the wick after running 2-stroke.
It's priceless until someone puts a price on it.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Texan's last words: "Y'all--hold my beer--I wanta' try sumptin'."
Timm--Middle of nowhere, near the end of the road, Oregon.
Stovie
Colemanaholic

Post by Stovie »

Possibly a Svea 123, but the incident was definitely mentioned in one of the later editions (likely the 4th) and by that time it was possible he was using something more (for him) more exotic, can't recall. He tested out a great number of stoves in later years.
1hpycmpr
Super Colemanaholic

Post by 1hpycmpr »

Nice way to burn of the nasty stuff, Toby. I’m still thinking a huge wind chime made out of empty fuel cans is the way to repurpose those tins! 😁
Mark
*Stargazer*
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

>>Nice way to burn of the nasty stuff, Toby. I’m still thinking a huge wind chime made out of empty fuel cans is the way to repurpose those tins!

With Dueling Banjo's playing in the background? :)
-Jim

I threw a boomerang a couple years ago; I now live in constant fear.

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?
rob_pontius
Super Colemanaholic

Post by rob_pontius »

I burn old fuel in my HGP's as well. Having 16 or 17 of them now, my hobby has a serious drinking problem. 😂
Rob
MotorcycleDan
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by MotorcycleDan »

I just mix it 50/50 with new stuff and burn it in whatever needs fuel. Has always burned fine so far.
Dan ICCC #900
ICCC Treasure
Rhubarb
Serious Colemanaholic
Title: The Pie Plant

Post by Rhubarb »

Nice, I've heard stories about burning turpentine in HGP.
  Image- Andy
A Seabee

Post by A Seabee »

get one of these and just dump it through a filter and into the tank

Stovie
Colemanaholic

Deuce & 1/2 ?

Post by Stovie »

I recall seeing a couple of those "Multi-Fuel" trucks. A motor pool sergeant told me they would run on anything, including piss & vinegar. He said there were Diesel shortages at times in Viet Nam, and they were forced to run a mixture of gasoline and 90 wt. gear oil. Smoked pretty badly, but worked OK. Don't try this with any modern rail system diesel engine.
ak74u137

Post by ak74u137 »

Run it in the kerosene models. Or I mix with fresh and burn it as normal in anything, filtered 3 times before use.
No lantern left behind! :D
ICCC Membership - #2048
A Seabee

Post by A Seabee »

A multi fuel deuce and a half can run on diesel, jet fuel, kerosene, lamp oil, used motor oil mixed with gasoline, straight vegetable oil, sour gasoline from the lawn mower in with any of the above. Even straight gasoline, but the engine won’t last long.
The only consideration when using oils is that it must have a similar viscosity to diesel so it can be pumped and injected reliably.