OT. Pecan trees??

Meet and greet members, general topics, show your stuff, recent/weekend finds.
25_502s
Super Colemanaholic

OT. Pecan trees??

Post by 25_502s »

A couple years ago I bought a couple small Lakota pecan trees from an online nursery. When I planted them I was 97.32% sure one of them wasn’t going to survive because it basically had no root system. So instead of digging a hole for a “dead” tree I just decided to throw the bad one in the hole with the good one. They are about 1 foot apart. Well the both made it. Now 2 years later they both seem to be doing about the same, so much that I can’t remember which one was “dead”. My question is should I leave them both or cut one down? I don’t remember ever seeing a double trunk pecan tree. Any pecan experts know any negatives to having a double trunk pecan tree?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jason
not looking for any more Bday gpas. Honestly, if you have a 10-72 don’t let me know about it.
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0214
Coleman Slant Saver #56
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #31
mksmth
Super Colemanaholic

Re: OT. Pecan trees??

Post by mksmth »

I wouldnt leave them together. Its probably too late to dig one up this season. Tom Spellman with Dave wilson nursery is a big proponent of backyard orchard growing and has successfully planted stone fruit that close but they wont get to be as big as a pecan. I have my fruit trees 12' apart but dont grow pecans. Maybe you could try and graft one onto the other and have both scions but one root stock?
Mike
ICCC #2030
Coleman quick lite crew #51
275 syndicate #0429
Love flathead Ford's, tropical plants and Coleman lantern.
looking for a dual fuel Northstar, any quick lite especially a Slant, maroon vent for a kamplite rl-2 PM if you have one.  
kellyblues
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by kellyblues »

I only know two things about pecan trees...

1. Change out of your school clothes before climbing one. ( I got my fanny whooped!)

2. Pecan oil turns black after it soakes in your skin and doesn't wash out. Just like clothing. ( Causes a great deal of rhetoric from other kids at school)

I no longer climb pecan trees....
Milspec syndicate #0044
ICCC member # 1154
Still learning how NOT to do things.
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

Cut one down Jason... If you try to transplant one you're most likely going to kill both and they will both suffer being together fighting for light and nutrients... One dummy's opinion 👍
Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
austin65uri
Super Colemanaholic

Post by austin65uri »

No Pecan expert here, but I'd cut down one of them. Even in the wild, most tree species will self-thin allowing sufficient room for some to survive to maturity.
Bill.
ICCC#1601
"Small earth, big universe!"
25_502s
Super Colemanaholic

Post by 25_502s »

Thanks guys!!As much as I hate to cut one down, I think that’s my best option. With my non-green thumbs I would probably kill the remaining one and/or both of them if I tried to dig one up. I have always been intrigued by grafting plants/trees. If I could get my hands on a stock root system from a grower or something I would Try to re-graft. I think it’s still small enough it might work. One to salvage the tree and two just to see if I could make it work.
Jason
not looking for any more Bday gpas. Honestly, if you have a 10-72 don’t let me know about it.
Coleman Slant Saver #56
Bob1774
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Bob1774 »

Pecans need a second tree close by for a pollinator, so I'd check with your local farm service agency or horticulturist. Having two together, might just make them both more prolific in pecans! If you have squirrels, good luck getting any for yourself!
Bob
sleebus

Post by sleebus »

Yup, you need a second tree for success. Mine are currently turning my car yellow. *achoo*
Check out my channel at GasUnderPressure
25_502s
Super Colemanaholic

Post by 25_502s »

Bob1774 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:15 pm Pecans need a second tree close by for a pollinator, so I'd check with your local farm service agency or horticulturist. Having two together, might just make them both more prolific in pecans! If you have squirrels, good luck getting any for yourself!
When I decided to plant a pecan tree I went with a Pawnee because it was a good match for West Texas. Later on after reading up on cross pollination I decided to get these Lakota ones because they are the perfect match for cross pollinating the Pawnee and vise versa. Where some varieties are poor matches. My Pawnee was a decent little tree but the top 1/2 of it died and now it’s kind pitiful with only the lower new growth on the trunk. I wonder if I could graft the one I cut down onto the top of the Pawnee tree and have a half Pawnee and half Lakota tree??

The tree in the second pic is taller than it looks. That’s the dead 1/2 laying on the ground.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by 25_502s on Tue May 04, 2021 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jason
Coleman Slant Saver #56
Bob1774
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Bob1774 »

Might try grafting. I read on the site recommended that some varieties have two varieties grafted on the same root stock to create a self pollinating tree.

This can be a long wait to get pecans, so you might want to consider a new, healthy sapling.
Bob
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

Don't cut it down!

Take a SHARP shovel and make a deep cut between the two trees and around the one you want to move, about 18" out form the trunk. Keep it well watered this season and you'll have a nice root structure established for when you want to dig it up and move it in the fall. Fill the hole with good topsoil and you'll have two nice pecan trees! Worst thing that happens is the one you move might not take, but if you're willin' to cut it down, no loss.

This was how we used to move landscape trees and shrubs. I've moved some pretty huge trees with very high success rate-->90%.
It's priceless until someone puts a price on it.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Texan's last words: "Y'all--hold my beer--I wanta' try sumptin'."
Timm--Middle of nowhere, near the end of the road, Oregon.
25_502s
Super Colemanaholic

Post by 25_502s »

Timm, to clarify, are you saying to make the cuts now and then finish and move the tree in the fall?
Jason
Coleman Slant Saver #56
Ridge Runner
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Ridge Runner »

Gunhippie wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:48 pm Don't cut it down!

Take a SHARP shovel and make a deep cut between the two trees and around the one you want to move, about 18" out form the trunk. Keep it well watered this season and you'll have a nice root structure established for when you want to dig it up and move it in the fall. Fill the hole with good topsoil and you'll have two nice pecan trees! Worst thing that happens is the one you move might not take, but if you're willin' to cut it down, no loss.

This was how we used to move landscape trees and shrubs. I've moved some pretty huge trees with very high success rate-->90%.
We used to have an arborist in our grounds department and that’s how he explained it to me when I was asking him about transplanting trees.

Bare-rooting was another method he mentioned but the tree has to be dormant. I successfully moved a 10-12 foot tall maple tree doing that. Thought for sure it would die, but it’s got leaves on it!

IIRC the root ball should also be something like one foot in diameter for every inch of tree trunk diameter.
— L.J.
In the foothills of the Berkshires, Western Massachusetts

Wanted: 10/2015 & 1/2020 Bday Lanterns
I love the smell of naphtha in the morning!
"Ain’t no need to watch where I’m goin’; just need to know where I’ve been" -Tow Mater
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

Correct. What you're doing is forcing the tree roots to branch out around the cut, meaning you can get a good rootball in the fall that will be able to re-establish quickly.

You just want to cut the roots, not make a trench. That's what you'll do when you extract the rootball.

I'd kind of forgotten the full procedure. Cut between the two trees first, then maybe a third of the way around the smaller tree (on the left in the pic?). Every month or so, cut another third of the way around. That way, you keep a lot of healthy roots to help the others grow.

Come fall, after the leaves have dropped, cut a trench just outside where you made the cut. Between the trees, just repeat the cut you made. Dig down about two or three feet--depends on your soil and how much effort you want to put into it--then use the shovel to cut under the tree. The "feeder" roots are fairly shallow and radiate out from the tree. The roots that go straight down are mostly "anchor" roots--they keep the tree upright.

You might visit a local nursery and take a look at some Ball and Burlap trees of about the same size to get and idea of how big you want the rootball to be. This is how they make those B&B trees for transplanting.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

Ridge Runner wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:59 pm
Gunhippie wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:48 pm Don't cut it down!

We used to have an arborist in our grounds department and that’s how he explained it to me when I was asking him about transplanting trees.

Bare-rooting was another method he mentioned but the tree has to be dormant. I successfully moved a 10-12 foot tall maple tree doing that. Thought for sure it would die, but it’s got leaves on it!

IIRC the root ball should also be something like one foot in diameter for every inch of tree trunk diameter.
Bare root is a viable way to transplant a tree, but, especially for larger trees, the rootball technique has better survival and is faster to re-establish. I think the biggest tree I've transplanted this way was a 30-foot tall, six inch dia weeping birch. I did three of them and all lived. Needed five guys to get the B&B trees into a dump truck!

They make things that go on an excavator called "tree spades" that can transplant a very large tree with little effort--but my boss at the time had a motto: You're cheaper than power equipment.
Sandman
Colemanaholic

Post by Sandman »

Pecan trees being in the walnut family has large taproots.....typically much more difficult to transplant with taproot being severed......good luck

ICCC  #1869
Coleman Quick-lite crew #25
Coleman Blues 243 #158
Coleman 275 appreciation #0232

Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

Just keep it well watered for the first year and you'll be fine. I've transplanted some pretty big walnuts, too. Never done a pecan--too far north.
25_502s
Super Colemanaholic

Post by 25_502s »

They were shipped to me bare root. That’s how I saw the one looked to be in bad shape with a very poor set of roots. I honestly thought it would never make it. I wish now I would have just dug the other hole and had 3 trees started like i planed. This damn west Texas dirt is rock hard and I didn’t want to put in the extra effort for a “dead” tree.
Jason
Coleman Slant Saver #56
Sandman
Colemanaholic

Post by Sandman »

25_502s wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:24 pm They were shipped to me bare root. That’s how I saw the one looked to be in bad shape with a very poor set of roots. I honestly thought it would never make it. I wish now I would have just dug the other hole and had 3 trees started like i planed. This damn west Texas dirt is rock hard and I didn’t want to put in the extra effort for a “dead” tree.
Caliche?.... 😝

ICCC  #1869
Coleman Quick-lite crew #25
Coleman Blues 243 #158
Coleman 275 appreciation #0232

BrianBo

Post by BrianBo »

That would take a very short hammock.
pagrey

Post by pagrey »

Here in Socal I have two types of oaks in my area. Coast live grows in shade or under another tree. In other words it'll grow into one big tree if two sprout next to each other. The other is Valley, that's a big one and doesn't tolerate shade. The small Valley Oaks just die if they loose the race. Pecan trees supposedly grow okay in shade, I think you'll be fine and end up with a twin. I am no Arborist. I also think that most young trees transplant just fine, if you have issues they would be on the edge anyway and unlikely to really thrive. Considering your almost dead tree did fine I think you'll be fine with whatever you do.
Paul