What is this type of plaster texture called?

Meet and greet members, general topics, show your stuff, recent/weekend finds.
Loganeffecto
Serious Colemanaholic

What is this type of plaster texture called?

Post by Loganeffecto »

Gentlemen, I am trying to repair a few wall cracks but I’m not sure how to replicate this texture. The walls are plasterboard with a plaster skim.It’s not the typical knock down type. I’m not sure how they did it....If this texture has a name I can research, but I’m currently stumped lol.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Logan, formerly known as Fester. (It means to rot)
brian_h

Re: What is this type of plaster texture called?

Post by brian_h »

Orange peel texture, just a guess
Brian
Leviticus_Tomethreus
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Leviticus_Tomethreus »

Interesting. My great grandmothers house has this texture plaster. It looks like decades of rolled on paint to me. Now that I look at it, the walls of my bedroom look the same. I think it’s drywall though.
My friends don’t call me “Lantern/lampie Levi” for nothin’,if they did call me that.
Looking for bday lanterns 8/38, 8/41,
10/25, and 8/07
The biggest lie I tell myself is ”I don’t need to write that down, I’ll remember it.”
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing everyday” -A.A. Milne
Now officially ICCC member #1995. Most likely the youngest member with a registered name.

You guessed it, Levi Tomey 
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

That's your basic gun coat. You can buy a cheap gun that spatters out drywall mud to replicate the texture, but you'll need a good compressor to run it.
It's priceless until someone puts a price on it.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Texan's last words: "Y'all--hold my beer--I wanta' try sumptin'."
Timm--Middle of nowhere, near the end of the road, Oregon.
74HARLEY
Super Colemanaholic

Post by 74HARLEY »

You can also buy it in spray can at a big box store. It works pretty good for repair work, and not terribly expensive.
Joe
looking for 200a 11-56,9-77,2-65 Coleman 275 appreciation syndicate member #0004 ICCC #1262
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #19
Frank appreciation syndicate member #9
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

Post by SteveRetherford »

i do a LOT of drywall repairs , largly it depends on large of an area your working on as to what to use , but for smaller jobs i like the spray texture in a can from most hardware stores , its about 20 dollars a can , i can do quite a few repairs with one can .... just dont expect to some now n think you still have half a can to use months later ..... it works great when new , and has a texture adjusting knob on the can . practice on a piece of cardboard not your wall , its shrinks as it dries but its fast drying , then just a quick sanding to remove any high spots before paint .

( at first it may look like its too textured , but just wait for it to shrink , if you really screw it up just wash it all off with a wet rag n start over )

it comes in orange peel and knock down textures .
[DrSteve2]    Steve , Keeper of the Light !!!
Loganeffecto
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Loganeffecto »

Thanks guys. After further research you are all correct, orange peel. I will be trying the splatter can out. And yes Levi, it does have decades of paint!
Logan, formerly known as Fester. (It means to rot)
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

Post by SteveRetherford »

where the repairs are it may take 2 or 3 coats of paint over the patch to blend in with the rest of the wall texture
[DrSteve2]    Steve , Keeper of the Light !!!