anyone use -collect old razors

Meet and greet members, general topics, show your stuff, recent/weekend finds.
thesunshineofthenight

anyone use -collect old razors

Post by thesunshineofthenight »

raz.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LongueCarabine

Re: anyone use -collect old razors

Post by LongueCarabine »

I have a couple of old Gillette safety razors from my Dad. One is a 58 Fat Boy made in 1958 I believe. Don’t remember offhand what other one is.

Brian

Mil-Spec Ops #1929

Looking for the following lanterns; 08/36; 09/29; 05/59; 05/60; 06/61; 12/65; 11/75; 11/88
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

There was a lengthy thread on these a two or three years back, but must have been removed during a purge. :(
-Jim

I threw a boomerang a couple years ago; I now live in constant fear.

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?
Dremwolf
Colemanaholic

Post by Dremwolf »

I use a Gillette Safety Razor manufactured the 1st quarter of 1958. I was born March of 58. I get an awesome shave from it. PLUS the blades cost a whole lot less than anything on the market today.
Ralph "Drem" Terreault, USAF Veteran, Help On The Homefront Rep, Patriot Guard Riders, Former Location Coordinator
Wreaths Across America, Jacksonville National Cemetery

275 Appreciation Syndicate Member #0328
Mil-Spec Ops #1988
nymtber

Post by nymtber »

Yes. Have been since 2010. Most always use a Fatboy set to 7, sometimes 9 if haven't shaved in more than 4 days lol.

I have a bunch, but stopped buying them. At least they take up less space than lanterns hahaha!
D421
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by D421 »

I use a merkur straight bar about every day. Feather brand blades from Japan are pretty good blades.
Dominic
Everyone likes the dog catcher...until they catch your dog.
ICCC #1992
azmike
Colemanaholic

Post by azmike »

In the spring of 1971 I arrived at Ft Ord, CA for induction into the Army. My Uncle Sam gave me a Gillette double edge as shown above (black rotating handle).
I am still ripping out whiskers with the same old razor although I do change blades.....I have a good pig hair brush and hotel soap in a cool Old Spice mug. I'd quit shaving but I look pretty spooky with a beard.
Cottage_hill_bill
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Cottage_hill_bill »

I used to collect razors. Same way I got into collecting GPAs, through my militaria collecting. Started out with military issued razors then it branched into all sorts. I've used straight razors, single edge, double edged, double edged adjustables, Rolls Razors, you name it I've probably scraped my face with it. If you have a hone (sharpening stone made for razors) and a good strop, straight razors can shave extremely well and comfortably, with a little practice. The three in the OP pic are TTO - Twist To Open, look like all Gillettes. Next came the TTO adjustable. My daily use razor is the one that came before the TTO, the basic three piece Gillette Tech. Mine is the one my dad carried as a combat medic the length of Italy during WWII.

azmike - ditch the coarse hair brush and buy yourself a good badger hair brush. You can find old ones in antique stores cheaper than new. You'll appreciate the difference.
Reese
North West Florida

Reese’s Law of Thermodynamics:  At temperatures below incandescence hot metal looks exactly like cold metal.

azmike
Colemanaholic

Post by azmike »

bill, thanks for the tip but I'll decline the badger idea...I shot one of the pit diggers in my alfalfa field, didn't see any part I'd want to rub on my face!
Oldbiker

Post by Oldbiker »

I have 3-4 old ones. I use one just like the lower one every couple years to shave my cheek bones when my beard gets up to my eyes.
Robert W. from TN.
If it's been done before, I can do it. Maybe not as good as some, but I can do it.
pagrey
Colemanaholic

Post by pagrey »

My goto is a Merkur 41C which is a clone of the Gillette 1904, the basic three piece. I'd use the real thing but obviously people collect them and why not leave the originals to people that want them? Besides, I've never seen an open comb three piece in the wild around here. I never really understood the twist lock thing. I use Merkur blades but I'll have to give the Feather a shot.
Paul
wildhorsehans

Post by wildhorsehans »

Sure do! Have maybe 15 now. Got 2 of the original Schick injectors when the folded up. 1 square and 1 round. I was getting them based on movies a lot. Got the Goldfinger James Bond shaving in the airplane 1963 Gillette, the Schick Gary Grant used in Mr. Blandings builds his dream house. That's my daily shave razor
The new guy from Chester NH. 
ICCC #1847

AIRBORNE ALL THE WAY!!!
UncleFred
Colemanaholic

Post by UncleFred »

I wish the old razor thread was still available. I posted a photo on there of three Gillette razors that I am quite sure each spent two years in the U.S. Army with my two brothers and me based on the dates on the razors.
Everyone's Favorite Uncle
Coleman Leacock 635B721 Alliance #8
Loganeffecto
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Loganeffecto »

I have a 60’s Gillette adjustable with a few different flavors of razors. I’ve only used it a few times. Feels like I’m walking on thin ice! 😵 😂
Logan, formerly known as Fester. (It means to rot)
outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

Somewhere around here I have a NOS case/box of gold plated Gillette double edge razors. I also have a cool old "safety" razor with a permanent sharpenable blade. Used it one or twice.

But No, I don't collect them; those were chance buys.

I try to avoid shaving, and SWMBO has NEVER seen my chin. trimmed it back to a goatee for about 16 years, now I'm working from home and I just use a hair trimmer with an adjustable guard adn trim it every week or three...
[Logo%20Outlaw-half] 
Coleman Blue's 243's #341 - 275 Appreciation Syndicate member 0242
FAS #001 Confusing Future Generations of Collectors, One Lantern at a Time!

“A Human Being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, give orders, take orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook  a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.  Specialization is for insects.”            - Lazarus Long

Moses_Yoder

Post by Moses_Yoder »

I don't collect razors but I have 3 or 4 different safety razors. This is the one I use every day, a hundred Dorco blades costs me like $12 at the local barber supply. I don't know the brand of this razor, I like the way it shaves. I bought a badger hair plug and turned a handle for it out of cocobolo. Shaving is pleasant.

Moses D Yoder/Mose/Mo
ICCC #1278
Sears Syndicate # 651 / 275 Appreciation Syndicate #159 / Slant Saver #22
Psalm 97:11 Light shines on the righteous and joy on the upright in heart.

Moses_Yoder

Post by Moses_Yoder »

I used to buy Astra blades from Amazon but there is a barber supply store jjust down the road and I stopped in. A very small place but shelves stacked with all sorts of stuff, very neat place. I asked about double edge blades and she brought out two different ones, I chose the more expensive Dorco, a hundred blades lasts me about a year
Moses D Yoder/Mose/Mo
ICCC #1278
Sears Syndicate # 651 / 275 Appreciation Syndicate #159 / Slant Saver #22
Psalm 97:11 Light shines on the righteous and joy on the upright in heart.

Opus5150

Post by Opus5150 »

Currently using a Gillette toggle that was found in the bathroom wall of an old house I was helping demolish about 25 years ago. Was buried in a pile of used blades from back when that's where you disposed of them. I have a few others that were my grandfathers, including a couple straight razors that I am not brave enough to use.

ICCC Member 1836
"Knowledge comes, but wisdom lingers" - Alfred Lord Tennyson

tooleyd

Post by tooleyd »

Here's a few shaving related items that I collect -- interest area = WW2 US militaria - personal items .

[attachment=0]straight-razor-x2-razor-str.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dwayne
Mil-SpecOps #1951