a friend of mine

Meet and greet members, general topics, show your stuff, recent/weekend finds.
brokenmantle
Super Colemanaholic

a friend of mine

Post by brokenmantle »

says he was attacked by demons, became a christian and has been saving/bringing homeless people into his house and feeding and clothing them. he says he asks god before he does this and says he hears the voice of god and tells him no or yes. he had worked and bought 3 houses and was renting them out and had it made before this. now he is down to one house and very low in money but says he has to do what god tells him to do, even on very minor decisions. he says everyone needs to do this or they will go to hell. he says you need to show the world love and not just in your family. what do you think? if he keeps going like this he will be homeless too. i know jesus came down, died and rose again to show forgiveness of our sins so i think if we know this we will be saved. thats the whole reason for jesus, to save. the way he thinks, most will be condemned and i dont think god works like that, he is a loving god and we need to pray for the ones who dont or never will know god or jesus and have them saved on our behalf. i cant talk any sense into him and has said my family and me are most likely not saved. he wont understand that jesus is love.
Zulu Kono
Title: Like a Butterfly A Wild Butterfly

Post by Zulu Kono »

Last edited by Zulu Kono on Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brokenmantle
Super Colemanaholic

Re: a friend of mine

Post by brokenmantle »

just trying to get an opinion if he is losing it or not. i will look that up.
outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

I think he's past losing it, he's lost it...
[Logo%20Outlaw-half] 
Coleman Blue's 243's #341 - 275 Appreciation Syndicate member 0242
FAS #001 Confusing Future Generations of Collectors, One Lantern at a Time!

“A Human Being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, give orders, take orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook  a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.  Specialization is for insects.”            - Lazarus Long

Deanofid

Post by Deanofid »

This is a very hard subject to discuss here. Mainly because if I tell you what the Bible says, someone may want to argue or give their own interpretation of the Word of God.

If you read the whole Bible, which will take you some time, you will find that God does not play favorites. He did choose a certain people, but that was to bring the living Christ (Jesus) to humanity. If you read what Jesus said, and realize that Jesus is actually God, and not just some really spiritual guy, you will at least start out on the right foot.

Your friend needs to talk to a pastor who is well learned in the Bible. A Calvary Chapel pastor is a place to start. Sorry for recommending one denomination. I am not trying to leave anyone out. (I don't go to Calvary Chapel, BTW. I do go to a Bible teaching church, which is what Calvary Chapel is.) One thing I will say quickly here is something from the New Testament, book of Matthew chapter 10, verse 16; "Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves".
The word "Behold" is not just some old time talk. It means "Look", or "Listen", "I'm telling you something important here. Listen up!" (Last sentence is my own way of a quote, okay?)

My opinion only: Your friend may be being innocent as doves, but could be being taken for a ride because he is not being wise, or as The Word says, "shrewd as serpents". Jesus would not have let anyone take advantage of him. He would accommodate them as much as was wise, but as is shown in his early, and then later ministry, he did not let himself be taken for a fool by the Pharisees. He called it how he saw it, and he always saw it right because he was Divine. The Son of God, and as he said, God Himself.

Please contact a pastor about your friend, and I welcome you to write me if needed, though I am not a pastor or spiritual leader. I am a learner/disciple of Christ the Lord.

Dean
Dean -Midnight Kerosene Ritualist--Deans Machine:  Deansmachine.com  
ICCC #1220.   275 commiseration #0018.
"In Him was life, and His life was the Light of men."  John 1:4
Stovie
Serious Colemanaholic

a friend of mine

Post by Stovie »

^^^ That sounds like pretty good advice. I like to help people when I can, but inviting bums and strangers into your house these days sounds like a pretty good way to get kilt without trying too hard.

I like to think I'm a "good judge" of people. Over the years, I have found this is not always necessarily the case. There are plenty of ways to help "homeless" without putting yourself to that kind of risk. There is also a lot of legal jiggery-pokery that can be deployed against your friend in terms of liability, or even outright squatting. Be very careful who you let in your home to stay overnight.
Everybody wants to drive the train, nobody wants to shovel the coal.
Steve66

Post by Steve66 »

outlawmws wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:42 am I think he's past losing it, he's lost it...
Agreed. Helping him is going to be difficult. People seldom are receptive to the idea that their beliefs on religion are misguided or wrong.
Coleman Quicklite Crew #26
campinut
Super Colemanaholic

Post by campinut »

Also there might be a mix of mental illness in play here? Dean makes great advice and a wise one he is. We are not to judge but have concern for others, when we see them failing. He might have good intentions but because he is so focused on doing Gods work, he might be getting taken for a ride in the process. Sometimes when you are so focussed on what you are doing, you take your mind off the big picture. If he is not open to talking with someone, you might just have to see how it is played out. He will be rewarded later for his Godly character as loving others is our mission here on earth..campinut
Like a moth at night, I am attracted to the light!..7/7/1964...Russ, from Missouri..
Oldbiker

Post by Oldbiker »

Dean is spot on. It also says I'm not my brothers keeper. That doesn't mean not to help. We are supposed to render assistance to our Brothers (or Sisters) as far as our means permit, which does not include depleting what you have below what you & your family need. Seems as your friend is experiencing some mental issues at the moment. He will be blessed in the end for what he is doing but sounds like he is consumed in his actions & not so much in the studying of the Great Light that we have for guidance.
Robert W. from TN.
If it's been done before, I can do it. Maybe not as good as some, but I can do it.
Vintageish
Colemanaholic

Post by Vintageish »

Philanthropy , and specifically helping the homeless is commendable.
The homeless cover a very broad spectrum of the human race. Some are , well ; homeless for more reason than disability or the job market.

Only my opinion. Worth a small coffee.
Your friend needs a little better balance of how many he can save and how.
With legalities addressed as hinted at earlier , having one house for certain homeless (and yes I am discriminating) that homeless can help maintain and improve makes some sense.
After all ,it's a problem trying to get a job with no address. (I had a discussion recently with someone who is networking with others about homelessness who pointed that out).

Helping someone out of a hole is a hand up. Not a hand out.
But your friend risks getting in the hole along with those he's helping. Yes that makes them equal , but depends on providence to cover the bills down the road.
Being we are allowed free will ; does not mean our bills are covered. So again , balance needs brought in somewhere.

Who goes to hell is not our call.
Some are already there yet still living here. And us putting wagers on who will go where might yield some surprises...

Regardless of what I do here , it remains likely I'll be one of the folks peeking around the corner of the fence towards the gate while trying to dig under when St. Pete isn't looking. Even if somehow I've escaped being destined by my choices and decisions for a hot plunge in a lake of fire.

Your friends heart is in the right place.
His budget going forward will determine sustainability of what he is wanting to do.
And the risks (financial and physical) to your friend are another matter.
Maybe he has a plan for how he will help the homeless if he becomes homeless or hospitalized or incarcerated?

Being involved in a sincere group trying to help the homeless might be better. Again , my opinion.
Networking can add skills and resources and data/information to a cause.
It takes the right group though.
Last edited by Vintageish on Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Purty colors. Well , cept'n maybe that brown when it's on fire...
jacobsdad

Post by jacobsdad »

I work with a local group that feeds the homeless on the street. There is a great challenge to accept when you are providing food for people with nicer cars and cell phones that you have. However, it is not for me to judge those folks. If they need it, I'm directed to help if i can.
I agree with Dean 100%.
Brian

P.S. My favorite Coleman are still my 3-burners

" I checked into the Hokey Pokey Clinic and I turned myself around"
pagrey
Colemanaholic

Post by pagrey »

brokenmantle wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:33 am i cant talk any sense into him
He probably thinks the exact same thing. Sometimes friendship is just walking the path beside somebody rather than choosing the path. You may have life all figured out and he might too, who's to judge?
Paul
Stovie
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Stovie »

jacobsdad wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:19 pmThere is a great challenge to accept when you are providing food for people with nicer cars and cell phones that you have. However, it is not for me to judge those folks.

If you're providing food or "charity" for them you should think about it a little closer. "Don't judge" is one of the most destructive notions in our society, and is undoubtedly some sort of perversion of biblical axiom taken out of context.
Everybody wants to drive the train, nobody wants to shovel the coal.
jacobsdad

Post by jacobsdad »

Stovie wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:40 pm
jacobsdad wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:19 pmThere is a great challenge to accept when you are providing food for people with nicer cars and cell phones that you have. However, it is not for me to judge those folks.

If you're providing food or "charity" for them you should think about it a little closer. "Don't judge" is one of the most destructive notions in our society, and is undoubtedly some sort of perversion of biblical axiom taken out of context.

Will take it under advisement.
Brian

P.S. My favorite Coleman are still my 3-burners

" I checked into the Hokey Pokey Clinic and I turned myself around"
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

" he has to do what god tells him to do, even on very minor decisions."

Most likely he is actually being told what to do by some religious/political/cult leader/conduit or their media outlets. He is not going to listen to what anybody else says as the leaders forbid that. The person is no longer capable of independent thinking and must do what the leaders dictate. It is a simple formula of instilling fear, religious, political, psychological, or whatever, and then claiming to have the only solution to the fear. "Do what I say or the boogie man will get you!"

"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peace makers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country." - Hermann Goering
brokenmantle
Super Colemanaholic

Post by brokenmantle »

he will not listen to anyone and says it is god alone who speaks to him. now he said he was attacked by demons in the beginning so could this be a demon fooling him. if it is it is odd that it is telling him to do good but it does seem at his expense.
Loganeffecto
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Loganeffecto »

I am a Christian and this is unsettling. There are several conditions like schizophrenia and dementia that can cause this, besides demonic influence. My opinion might be unpopular but the poor, lame, and blind from the Bible, isn’t necessarily what we have now, these were people that couldn’t work. There are a lot of drug issues in the homeless community. I’m not saying those people don’t need to be saved, I’m saying he could be putting himself in a lot of danger. Your friend can’t save anyone, neither can shelter and clothes, only God can. There is a GOOD chance they will take him for everything he’s got.
Logan, formerly known as Fester. (It means to rot)
deepmarsh

Post by deepmarsh »

About 30 miles north of me is an area referred to as Sand Mountain. It’s said to have more churches and crystal meth users than any other county in the country. The drug is referred to as “sand mountain slim fast” and for some reason, the people usually turn to religion amidst this addiction.
Brett

Blount County, Alabama
brokenmantle
Super Colemanaholic

Post by brokenmantle »

he has mental illness in his family. i told him that jesus is here to forgive and save. jesus made it easy for us by suffering for us, we just have to believe or in my case know he is true.
Zulu Kono
Title: Like a Butterfly A Wild Butterfly

Post by Zulu Kono »

brokenmantle wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:33 amthats the whole reason for jesus, to save. the way he thinks, most will be condemned and i dont think god works like that, he is a loving god and we need to pray for the ones who dont or never will know god or jesus and have them saved on our behalf.
brokenmantle wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:34 amjesus made it easy for us by suffering for us, we just have to believe or in my case know he is true.
Out of curiosity, are you LDS?
Dremwolf
Colemanaholic

Post by Dremwolf »

Just my two cents. I believe he has to take care of himself first and foremost so he can continue to help others.
Ralph "Drem" Terreault, USAF Veteran, Help On The Homefront Rep, Patriot Guard Riders, Former Location Coordinator
Wreaths Across America, Jacksonville National Cemetery

275 Appreciation Syndicate Member #0328
Mil-Spec Ops #1988
Deanofid

Post by Deanofid »

Loganeffecto wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:47 pm I am a Christian and this is unsettling. There are several conditions like schizophrenia and dementia that can cause this, besides demonic influence. My opinion might be unpopular but the poor, lame, and blind from the Bible, isn’t necessarily what we have now, these were people that couldn’t work. There are a lot of drug issues in the homeless community. I’m not saying those people don’t need to be saved, I’m saying he could be putting himself in a lot of danger. Your friend can’t save anyone, neither can shelter and clothes, only God can. There is a GOOD chance they will take him for everything he’s got.
I agree with this view, and thank you Logan for putting yourself out there. Sometimes being Christian is not popular in this current world.

I wish to say I missed something in your original post, brokenmantle. Your friend thinks he is being attacked by demons, or was attacked by demons. This is not something that happens to Christians. Satan cannot fight against himself. In other words, demons can't get into the life of a Christian. Not unless they are invited, and no Christian would do that. It is a fearful thing to contemplate. The more I think about this, I come to the thought that your friend needs mental help, and that should hopefully come from a Christian counselor. Mainly, that last part because your friend thinks he is getting word from God our Father. From what I know of the Bible, and the word and counsel, i.e., the personality and attributes of God, he will not set a person up to be taken advantage of. Not if the person has a proper prayer life and faith in Him and Christ.

I worry about your friend, and hope he goes to see a Christian counselor to help him with his troubles, and I believe he has troubles that are not connected with the Will of God. He is led astray, IMO.

Sorry to carry on. This is concerning, and I did not pick up on the severity reading your first post. I apologize. Help him to see a proper Christ centered counselor as soon as you get your own medical questions/problems taken care of. I'm glad he has you watching out for him!

Many blessings to the both of you! (Go see that Doc, and I will be praying for you!)
Jesus!

Dean
brokenmantle
Super Colemanaholic

Post by brokenmantle »

thanks dean. he was an atheist when he was attacked and he lives on the west coast in washington state so i can only talk to him by phone. his favorite quote is the one that says this world is for many but the next is only for a very few. i called him on this saying jesus was sent to forgive the many.
RobSchroff

Post by RobSchroff »

brokenmantle wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:05 pm he was an atheist when he was attacked
Wow. Doing a complete 180? He either suffered a psychotic break or fell victim to a charismatic cult leader.
Mcnairy

Post by Mcnairy »

Your friend is a good soul but as Dean says, should seek counsel from a trusted bible teaching pastor...or partner up with a Christian group that is doing the same kind of work. He needs to understand that Jesus paved the way for salvation and no amount of work can add to what has already been done. Having been around many people like he serves, it is easy to be taken advantage of. Will pray for him.

Ephesians 6:12 New International Version
For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.
Milspec Ops #0967
grob
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by grob »

I really don't think this subject is the kind that should be discussed here under politics, religion etc. Dean, if this were a post about Trump it would be shut down immediately. Please seek appropriate venues.
Respectfully, Gary
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #60
Boy, I say boy... you're about to exceed the limitations of my medication.
Nice girl, but she's 'bout as sharp as a bag o wet mice.
- Foghorn Leghorn
austin65uri
Super Colemanaholic

Post by austin65uri »

With all due respect to those following this thread, I agree with Gary's post above. As insightful as it may be to some members here, the topic falls into the "best not to discuss here" category. The forum founders knew this, and established the protocols that we abide by-- no politics, religion, porn, flaming, etc.
Bill.
ICCC#1601
"Small earth, big universe!"
Vintageish
Colemanaholic

Post by Vintageish »

austin65uri wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:58 am With all due respect to those following this thread, I agree with Gary's post above. As insightful as it may be to some members here, the topic falls into the "best not to discuss here" category. The forum founders knew this, and established the protocols that we abide by-- no politics, religion, porn, flaming, etc.
Perhaps helping understand a friends struggle ....When it weighs on a member ,should be taken elsewhere?
I won't argue the sites rules if that is wrong.

I do disagree strenuously with no flaming. If it is flames from a g.p.a. or wickie....
austin65uri
Super Colemanaholic

Post by austin65uri »

Vintageish wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:08 pm Perhaps helping understand a friends struggle ....When it weighs on a member ,should be taken elsewhere?
I do disagree strenuously with no flaming. If it is flames from a g.p.a. or wickie....
Some topics are best handled via Private Messages, especially ones that are considered off-limits by the Moderators.
Bill.
ICCC#1601
grob
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by grob »

Thanks Bill, and particularly not participated in by a moderator. It makes me feel as though there is a double standard here.
Gary
- Foghorn Leghorn
Murff
Administrator
Title: Guy Who Knows Just Enough To Cause Trouble

Post by Murff »

grob wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:16 pm Thanks Bill, and particularly not participated in by a moderator. It makes me feel as though there is a double standard here.
Gary
I am a bit late coming to the dance on this thread. The OPer was asking for opinions on his freind's "condition". So far, the thread has stayed on that tract with the comments and asked for input.

We do try to keep there from being any perceived double standards here. Dean voiced his concerns and his comments are from what knowledge he has garnered from his Bible reading and upbringing.

As one who is less versed, I would only offer that the "friend" had some mental issues.

Please keep this thread to what the OP asked for. As for political and religious posts of opinions of a personal nature, there are other venues on the internet for those discussions.

Murff
as Administrator
Name: Murff   ICCC Member #726 
Coleman Blue's 243's #002   Ebay Handle: Happy-campers2 
EX-ICCC Newsletter Editor & Full time Coleman Addiction Enabler
Part-time Idito and Hater of Turd 275s
grob
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by grob »

"As for political and religious posts of opinions of a personal nature, there are other venues on the internet for those discussions."
Thanks Murff and happy birthday.
Gar
- Foghorn Leghorn
Vintageish
Colemanaholic

Post by Vintageish »

austin65uri wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:27 pm
Vintageish wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:08 pm Perhaps helping understand a friends struggle ....When it weighs on a member ,should be taken elsewhere?
Some topics are best handled via Private Messages, especially ones that are considered off-limits by the Moderators.
Point recognized.
Question asked. I answered , without considering forum rules.

I understand why it would be posted in general forum vs p.m.ing( whom?) to elicit input.
But if it violates rules , it violates rules. Some folks can't tolerate the mention of some topics. Preferring silence instead.
So exist house rules.

Don't worry , I won't p.m. you about my friends. Yet. l.o.l.
austin65uri
Super Colemanaholic

Post by austin65uri »

Vintageish wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:16 am Don't worry , I won't p.m. you about my friends. Yet. l.o.l.
:)
Bill.
ICCC#1601
brokenmantle
Super Colemanaholic

Post by brokenmantle »

what is lds? the consensus of my other friends is to generally avoid this particular friend and one like him but not as extreme. to just answer their call and be nice about it but end the conversation quickly. they need to understand from Mcnairys post above what jesus truly means.
Dremwolf
Colemanaholic

Post by Dremwolf »

brokenmantle wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:01 am what is lds?
Latter-day Saints
Ralph "Drem" Terreault, USAF Veteran, Help On The Homefront Rep, Patriot Guard Riders, Former Location Coordinator
Wreaths Across America, Jacksonville National Cemetery

275 Appreciation Syndicate Member #0328
Mil-Spec Ops #1988
brokenmantle
Super Colemanaholic

Post by brokenmantle »

no just someone trying to get my friends straight in their thinking and just wanted some input from as many people as i could to back it up. i asked as much as i could out side the forum and decided to ask the forum as everyone seems pretty level headed here.
Nevada_Ed
Administrator

Post by Nevada_Ed »

It goes to the intent, if someone is asking for some personal insight/suggestions on a subject, may it be professional help is suggested, if a responder suggests turning to counseling, be it religious or clinical, based on their own experience that would be a heart felt response. Long ago we decided to leave politics to other venues, religious politics, any politics should be taken to those sites that encourage those topics.

Regards

Ed

There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

brokenmantle
Super Colemanaholic

Post by brokenmantle »

yes, back to gpas.
Deanofid

Post by Deanofid »

Brokenmantle, thanks for the final comment. It is GPAs we like here, but you had a special request on behalf of a fellow human being, and sometimes it takes a lot of level heads to try to help with such a request. I sincerely mean that to include both sides of the fence. I do tend to see things from a God centered view while some see solutions or suggestions from having been around this old world long enough to offer suggestions of help through other experience. It all boils down to a mass of knowledge and caring from the whole group, and I appreciate that in you all.

Murff and Ed chimed in very nicely in light of the subject, and I thank you both.

We'll lock this thread now, because it could end up swirling down the drain if not carefully watched.
Thank you all on behalf of Steve's (Brokenmantle) friend. Obviously Steve cares for him, and I hope his pal gets some counseling and peace!