Coleman "9a"?

Meet and greet members, general topics, show your stuff, recent/weekend finds.
luggnut

Coleman "9a"?

Post by luggnut »

Need some help here on identifying this. I strongly suspect it being a 9a from the intlccc pdf; everdur check, 9 grate wire check, brown check, towel or back rest check. Only badge is missing on this so can't confirm and a rusty one ableit. Well if it isn't, still is a rare brown suitcase. Got this with another 415c from the marketplace thinking I found a later model 2 because of the strap legs but alas.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
austin65uri
Super Colemanaholic

Re: Coleman "9a"?

Post by austin65uri »

With that burner setup I'd say a 9G.
Bill.
ICCC#1601
"Small earth, big universe!"
Barrett
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Barrett »

I like that :)
Andrew

Living and learning in NZ
Hoping to reach cognitive and emotional maturity before my children do.
luggnut

Post by luggnut »

Seems like 9g doesn't match. No pin on the pump.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
surffisher60

Post by surffisher60 »

wow .... nice score.

bob
luggnut

Post by luggnut »

:shock: Just found something odd. Why did coleman put a airscrew thingamajiggy on the 415c cast burner manifold but just a hole on the mystery "9" ?
Never seen this mentioned before. Green one is the 415c rusty brown is the 9 something.
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

luggnut wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:56 pm :shock: Just found something odd. Why did coleman put a airscrew thingamajiggy on the 415c cast burner manifold but just a hole on the mystery "9" ?
Never seen this mentioned before. Green one is the 415c rusty brown is the 9 something.
That's normally a drain in case of flooding on startup.
Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
Dremwolf
Colemanaholic

Post by Dremwolf »

That is a neat looking stove!!
Ralph "Drem" Terreault, USAF Veteran, Help On The Homefront Rep, Patriot Guard Riders, Former Location Coordinator
Wreaths Across America, Jacksonville National Cemetery

275 Appreciation Syndicate Member #0328
Mil-Spec Ops #1988
StanDahl
Super Colemanaholic

Post by StanDahl »

That looks like a 9A to me if those are cast iron "slotted" burners.
9A After3 copy 2.JPG
John - ICCC Petty Bureaucrat #CMLXII...
ecblanks
Super Colemanaholic

Post by ecblanks »

Cast iron manifolds take a lot longer to heat up the than the stamped steel of the later ones, so in some conditions if the manifold is colder than the generator during light up I suppose the fuel can re-liquify and needs to be drained. Had to do it on my 373 once because I didn't preheat the generator enough.
Carlton
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate # 0176
Slant Saver #29
Mil-Spec Ops #0973
ICCC Member #1892 (expired)
luggnut

Post by luggnut »

Yup cast iron burner and manifold, was asking over on ccs but wanted to confirm. Most seem to think 9g because this "9a" seems awfully out of sequence.
austin65uri
Super Colemanaholic

Post by austin65uri »

I'm no expert, and I'm a little confused here: the 9G was supposedly one of the first suitcase stoves with the "standard" tank /generator configuration that we all know today. The earlier 9's had the arrangement where the burners and tank are connected as a unit with the tank attached outside of the case when in use. Here's a pic of both that I took from the ICCC book. Yours sure looks like the 9G to me?
Bill.
ICCC#1601
"Small earth, big universe!"
luggnut

Post by luggnut »

I've got no clue other than Dr. Marsh's site mid 1930s coleman stove section and StanDahl's own 9a to go from.Plus his article on the stove id pdf from the intlccc site.
BSAGuy
Super Colemanaholic

Post by BSAGuy »

Very cool stove whatever the number/letter is.
- Courtenay
Be Prepared
StanDahl
Super Colemanaholic

Post by StanDahl »

The 9A and 9B were issued out of sequence from the rest of the 9's for some reason. The 9A was never in a catalog, but it does show up in the parts diagrams along with the 9B, which came after the 9H. The 9A is brown and the 9B is green, but otherwise they seem to be identical. I wonder if the 9A was an effort to use up brown painted stove cases that were intended to be 9G's? It doesn't make any sense though, since the 9H's came in between, and they were green, so I just accept the 9A for what they are.

The 9G has Band-a-blu burners and a keyed pump stem and doesn't have a positive shut off. The pump and CV can be changed, but it's unlikely that anyone would change the burners. Except for the paint color, it could be a 9H with a replaced pump, because the 9H also had the keyed pump shaft and all that went with that arrangement.

I've always intended to put a page in the ICCC newsletter with 3 stoves that didn't make the book (9A, 2F & 9F), but I've never gotten around to it.
John - ICCC Petty Bureaucrat #CMLXII...