Have we reached the point where even 90’s cars are starting to look better than new ones?

Meet and greet members, general topics, show your stuff, recent/weekend finds.
Loganeffecto
Serious Colemanaholic

Have we reached the point where even 90’s cars are starting to look better than new ones?

Post by Loganeffecto »

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not buying a 1992 suburban just because I think it looks better, but...yeah. My wife has been begging for a Subaru for years but the newer styles are getting further and further away from the nice all purpose wagon look and more toward the small edgy suv look everyone is going for these days. My 1993 Cummins was awesome and miss it. Miss my ‘91 compact Toyota pickup too. Now they don’t make any small trucks ☹️ And no, the new “ranger” ($$$$) doesn’t count lol. Now every vehicle has every bell and whistle imaginable, jacking the prices through the roof. Non stop vehicle performance wars Haven’t help either. Ok I’m getting off topic here. Simplicity is nice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Logan, formerly known as Fester. (It means to rot)
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Re: Have we reached the point where even 90’s cars are starting to look better than new ones?

Post by JimL »

Some look better, and some don't. As far as prices are concerned, due to the semiconductor chip shortages, the few 'complete' vehicles are in high demand, driving the prices up. With so many new vehicles parked until they can get the required chips, demand and prices of used vehicles are now going through the roof.
-Jim

I threw a boomerang a couple years ago; I now live in constant fear.

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?
TSPORT
Colemanaholic

Re: Have we reached the point where even 90’s cars are starting to look better than new ones?

Post by TSPORT »

Well, the old shoe box Volvos are just butt ugly. I’ll take the new ones for style any day!
Regarding small pickups, Ford is supposed to be introducing new Maverick small pickup tomorrow with starting price under $20k. Google it.
Hope it is better looking than the old Maverick cars!
Steve
Partial to single mantles & backpacking stoves (liquid fuel, of course!)
Loganeffecto
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Loganeffecto »

Old Volvos are definitely ugly lol. But so ugly they are almost neat. I’ve heard of the conductor shortage but, there are dozens of new car dealers here with full lots 🤷‍♂️.
rob_pontius
Super Colemanaholic

Post by rob_pontius »

I've gotten rid of all of my newer vehicles and replaced them with older ones. The new trucks are dead ugly in my opinion and nowhere near as rugged and reliable. Trucks today are made to cater to those who buy a truck for status. I buy a truck to be used as a truck. I don't need touch screen stereos and all of the other crap to pull a trailer or carry a load in the bed. As far as the new vehicles and their semiconductor shortage, good riddance. If the auto manufacturers wouldn't have complicated vehicles so much in an effort to squeeze more money out of our pockets, this wouldn't be a problem. Simplicity rules for this guy. I don't mind changing and setting points. I don't need computers to tell my vehicles how to run or how to stop.
Rob
brokenmantle
Super Colemanaholic

Post by brokenmantle »

cars,cars,cars. when i was younger i thought i would be in for many treats as i saw cars get better and cooler looking, but then something happened as the so called treats became ugly junk piles with many sensor and computer problems. a younger friend of mine asked why we have air bags and anti lock brakes and i said to idiot proof cars for modern idiots and he said why dont people just drive better, we dont need that stuff and i said yes we dont need it. we need to teach people to drive a manual without air bags and anti lock and no sensors with a carburetor, you can rebuild a carburetor.
rainjer

Post by rainjer »

My wife and I own a 2014 Subaru Outback (76,000 miles) and a 2015 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Long Bed 4X4 (75,000 miles). We love both of them. Both have been very reliable and mostly maintenance free. The only issue we have as on either one was a door window switch went bad on the Subaru and 2 door lock switch on the Tacoma (both after sitting during the pandemic??). They were al replaced under warranty. The one thing we have found about the dealer services on the Subaru, they are farther apart than the Tacoma but they are 3 times more expensive....
azmike
Colemanaholic

Post by azmike »

I resurrected a 2005 Dodge Magnum RT hemi. Oldest son had it in storage for 2 tours of duty. Under 130K miles, premium stereo, new rubber etc. It is a nice rig for the road trips, going to WI with two grandsons to visit the same Army son the end of the month.
Older rigs save a bunch of $$ on registration and insurance! I like to bully Subaroos & Priusissies on the interstate...ha. ha!
Zulu Kono
Title: Like a Butterfly A Wild Butterfly

Post by Zulu Kono »

Last edited by Zulu Kono on Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
arizonacamper
Super Colemanaholic

Post by arizonacamper »

I still like the look of my 96 f350 and my 90 ranger over anything made in the last few years.
Shawn
Shawn
Owner of Copper State Diesel.
"I'm not the friend you will hear from everyday but I'm the friend you can call on anyday."
Coleman Quicklite crew #54
Coleman blues 243 #147
Coleman 275 appreciation #74
Milspec syndicate #39
I.C.C.C. #2043

Looking for any lanterns or stoves dated 5/63 or 1/72
Barrett
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Barrett »

Yep, after years of a new company car every 3 years I had my mid life crisis (still having it lol) and called it quits a few years ago.
First private car I bought in 20yrs was a 1989 300SE and drove it everyday and still own it (money wasn't an issue then and I could have bought new but didn't want to... Rage against the Machine etc....wish it wasn't so much now lol)
Whilst that Merc 3L straight 6 pulls like a mule, down here fuel ain't cheap so also bought a 1999 Toyota KZJ95 Prado 3L diesel.
At 420+k kms I have 2 issues to consider,
Firstly it has a electronic fuel injection system, about the only computer in it, but a future worry? so I'm looking at a mechanical pump conversion.
Secondly.... my 11y old son wants it for all the same reasons I bought it when he gets his license.

So trouble is.... do I make my son happy... or keep a vehicle that I believe will see me out.

I vote 90's....
unless someone else is paying... but then that's just consumerism....
Andrew

Living and learning in NZ
Hoping to reach cognitive and emotional maturity before my children do.
immrbill

Post by immrbill »

Yeah I like the older ones. i have 97 GMC Sierra 80,000 miles and a 97 Miata.
rob_pontius
Super Colemanaholic

Post by rob_pontius »

I agree Shawn. I wish that I still had my '97 F-35p dually. I loved that truck.
Rob
Whitegas Extraordinaire
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Whitegas Extraordinaire »

Had a loaded 99 Durango 4x4, 5.9L.
Looked good, plenty of power to smoke 31x10 tires with the 3.91 limited slip.
Gas mileage was 12 mpg, when gas was $4.25 a gallon it was a goner.

Thank you!
Kevin

I may frighten easily!
My current shade is Coleman!!
To me a lamp without a shade is creepy!

ICCC # 1865

nymtber

Post by nymtber »

I dunno. I like my 2016 Subaru Crosstrek. Not fast and the CVT has it's quirks, but I only have 42k on it, it's paid off, so I'm keeping it for a while. Being the limited trim, new replacement would cost $30k. I do have an appointment to have the AC system looked at tomorrow. It's barely cool lately, I need it to be COLD! It's under warranty for 2 more years so it shouldn't cost too much. Will still be cheaper than a payment!

I do miss early 90s rangers and s10s. Those square bodies just looked better!
pagrey
Colemanaholic

Post by pagrey »

People are normally drawn to vehicles that are 10-20 years old. It's allot about nostalgia and allot of people really don't like change. In 10 years people will be saying the same thing about new vs 10-20 year old vehicles. It really has noting to do with what the vehicles look like, it's just what we are used to and often a vehicle that is only a decade behind in the big picture doesn't have any major drawbacks as far as usability so it's still a comfortable option.
Paul
arizonacamper
Super Colemanaholic

Post by arizonacamper »

I'm not a big fan of the aluminium bodies that Ford is using now on the trucks and truck beds I use my truck as a truck so it works Sometimes real hard
Shawn
Shawn
"I'm not the friend you will hear from everyday but I'm the friend you can call on anyday."
Coleman blues 243 #147
Milspec syndicate #39
I.C.C.C. #2043

salukispeed
Super Colemanaholic

Post by salukispeed »

Aluminum Bodies around here in the Chicago/midwest seem to be showing excessive corrosion issues and I am told near impossible to fix without panel replacement. The salt belt is so hard on everything and aluminum is not Immune. Same with lots of GM and Ford Tailgates on Big sport Utes.
Bob
ICCC 1868
Perfection appreciation #10
Milspec 65252
BSAGuy
Super Colemanaholic

Post by BSAGuy »

All the new cars look almost identical. NHTSA safety rules have resulted in very formulaic designs. It's a pity. I prefer the not-so-long-ago good old days when you could instantly discern a Ford from a Chevy from a Plymouth, etc.
- Courtenay
Be Prepared
Murff
Administrator
Title: Guy Who Knows Just Enough To Cause Trouble

Post by Murff »

Ford resurrected an old name on a new platform
2022_Ford_Maverick_XL_Hybrid_AK_2.jpeg
Ford Maverick Pickup. On the new Bronco platform.

Murff
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Name: Murff   ICCC Member #726 
Coleman Blue's 243's #002   Ebay Handle: Happy-campers2 
EX-ICCC Newsletter Editor & Full time Coleman Addiction Enabler
Part-time Idito and Hater of Turd 275s
Wirefox
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Wirefox »

BSAGuy wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:45 am All the new cars look almost identical. NHTSA safety rules have resulted in very formulaic designs. It's a pity. I prefer the not-so-long-ago good old days when you could instantly discern a Ford from a Chevy from a Plymouth, etc.
Cars used to be discernable from one make to the next, for the last ten years or so they mostly look like jelly beans!
Vance     ICCC #1538
Coleman Blues #151
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #14
arizonacamper
Super Colemanaholic

Post by arizonacamper »

The maverick is a front wheel drive pos. Not impressed with this or the new bronco. Way to much electronic b.s. on them. As usual just more shi!! to go wrong at the wrong time. I know how to work on these things and have the same diagnostic system Ford uses and I won't own one.
Shawn
Shawn
Coleman blues 243 #147
Milspec syndicate #39
I.C.C.C. #2043

1oldfart

Post by 1oldfart »

What is a good SUV and Truck to buy without all the BS electronics stuff. Are they even making any good vehicles anymore that makes it easy for one to work on without hooking the vehicle up to a computer.
arizonacamper
Super Colemanaholic

Post by arizonacamper »

Short answer is no!!
Shawn
Shawn
Coleman blues 243 #147
Milspec syndicate #39
I.C.C.C. #2043

florida_grown
Colemanaholic

Post by florida_grown »

No mid life crisis here, nor chip crisis. I've been converting chassis VW A1,A2 dubs to carb for years. My last was a 1991 A2 jetta on DHLA 40 c's. Couldn't find the s's. Points distributors are a key in this conversion as well as secondarily knowing your fuel pressure/vol.
I did this back in the day from when I was a tin foil and looked at EMP as a viable method to stop ALL our cars.
Weirdnerd
Colemanaholic

Post by Weirdnerd »

I have a 2008 Toyota 4runner, it gets good mileage ( up to 36mpg on the highway) no infotainment system, just a medium of the budget radio. I only change the oil and it keeps going, just passed 220,000 miles.
The Squirrels are up to something....

If you need a Sun Flame Generator Model 100-107 ( for Sunflame lanterns models 105, 106, 107 and 110) give me a PM, I have close to 80 of those, 15 bucks each.

Werner
Loganeffecto
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Loganeffecto »

The Maverick is interesting but is still following the new Ranger. But I’d like to see on in real life. It’s good that Ford is realizing there is a market for these pickups but they are still missing the mark imo. I know there are government regulations but they are trying to cram everything they can into it $$$ “””””Its 2.5-liter Atkinson-cycle four-cylinder hybrid powertrain delivers 191 horsepower when combined with the electric motor Ɨ, and 155 lb.-ft. of torque mated to a continuously variable transmission driving the front wheels“””” No thanks lol
egroscup
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by egroscup »

Rob, I totally agree. The Opel has been in the paint shop for months and is now waiting for the upholstery shop to have time to put the headliner in. Currently I am driving the '62 Dodge D200. It does everything I need it to without all of the extra crap.I have no need for phone connectivity or an infotainment system. No black box or over the air updates and no phoning home to the manufacturer. No radio, no power steering or brakes either. It just runs. No payments is a huge bonus. E.
The year 2259, the place Babylon 5
Erik
mksmth
Super Colemanaholic

Post by mksmth »

For my nothing beats early Fords specifically 30s and 40s. Probably a little biased since my grandfather's restored a lot of them.
Mike
ICCC #2030
Coleman quick lite crew #51
275 syndicate #0429
Love flathead Ford's, tropical plants and Coleman lantern.
offrink
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by offrink »

Did you know you could stuff two does and a buck in a 96 grand am gt with the seats folded down? It got 35 mpg in a v-6 that was actually quick.

My first car is still my favorite. 77 f-150 with upgrades. Actually, it’s in the shop due to the original brake distribution block rusted out. Radio doesn’t work anymore. It can sit for 6 months and crank just fine to start it. But it gets 6-7 mpg on the freeway at 65 mph. Wide 33” tires don’t help.
Ben
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate Member #0035
Looking for B-Day dates of 6/80, 2/84, 3/11, and 12/13
parris001
Colemanaholic

Post by parris001 »

I've got a '94 Explorer and a '94 Mercedes E320. Wife has an '09 G37.

I'm in the market for a JK Jeep with a manual. Not too flashy..........
mcdugal2
Super Colemanaholic

Post by mcdugal2 »

If I was to get a pickup it would have to be mid 90s f350 with the International diesel engine.
Phil Rhoades ICCC# 1125
The Coleman Blue's 243's. #035
"I'm a man, but I can Change, if I have to, I guess." - Red Green