New Project! ATTN antique tractor heads!

Meet and greet members, general topics, show your stuff, recent/weekend finds.
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

New Project! ATTN antique tractor heads!

Post by Gunhippie »

It's a really big profanity:

Allis-Chalmers model FTB 30-24 PS:

Oooh! Power Shift!

I think this is a Waukeeshaw P130 engine:

The price was right--free!

I spent about an hour getting it started--turns out, it was A) out of propane (faulty level indicator) and II) has a neutral lock-out on the starter, which wasn't engaging in neutral. My co-worker drove it about a half mile to my shop, so it actually goes, and the hydraulics work. It has NO brakes--hand brake is good, but no foot brake. Everything on it is damned near impossible to access, so it should be more fun than a frog in a glass of milk to work on.

Anyone have any idea of the year of manufacture? I spent about a half-hour researching it and came up dry. Looks like parts are still available, but I'd like some more info on it.

This'll be a fettle of a different feather!
Last edited by Gunhippie on Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
It's priceless until someone puts a price on it.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Texan's last words: "Y'all--hold my beer--I wanta' try sumptin'."
Timm--Middle of nowhere, near the end of the road, Oregon.
Kgam1020
Super Colemanaholic

Re: New Project!

Post by Kgam1020 »

Well Timm you have a heck of a project there! Looks cool, something different to tinker with.
Ken.
Looking for Bday lanterns, 10/83, 11/84 and 10/2011.
Milspec Syndicate member #1020 
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Re: New Project! ATTN antique tractor heads!

Post by Gunhippie »

I even get paid to fiddle with it!

With the flathead engine, I suspect it's at least as old as I.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
offrink
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by offrink »

That looks like fun! I actually could use one lifting logs onto the mill and moving slabs and boards. I really want a rough terrain/off road forklift but those are in the 18k range very well used.
Ben
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate Member #0035
Looking for B-Day dates of 6/80, 2/84, 3/11, and 12/13
Vintageish
Colemanaholic

Post by Vintageish »

One mention of that model being made in 61. Without a serial number look up it's a guess.
Roughly 60 ish though.
Purty colors. Well , cept'n maybe that brown when it's on fire...
74HARLEY
Super Colemanaholic

Post by 74HARLEY »

Nice little lift! Congrats Timm!
Once you get started they are not as bad as they look to work on.
Joe
looking for 200a 11-56,9-77,2-65 Coleman 275 appreciation syndicate member #0004 ICCC #1262
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #19
Frank appreciation syndicate member #9
Bob1774
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Bob1774 »

Well, out of curiosity I too, searched for you. There is an Allis Chalmers lift truck forum for "fixer uppers," and another site mentioned that a vendor, TruPar.com had vintage parts. They might be able to send you in the right direction for any help or service manuals.
Bob
outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

Fork lifts are great when you have the space! SWMBO just showed me a house that shop-wise is PERFECT; and I'd want a forklift there! 3 shops AND a garden shed! PLUS the attached 2 car garage!

The big shop has 2 single doors and a double and space on either side, then a "one car" (but deep) shop, and next to that a tallish aluminum open face building with a lift! It has a back, so a front wall and door would be easy!

Paved aprons all around and STILL has a nice back yard! (1/2 acre...) So yes, perfect for having a forklift!
[Logo%20Outlaw-half] 
Coleman Blue's 243's #341 - 275 Appreciation Syndicate member 0242
FAS #001 Confusing Future Generations of Collectors, One Lantern at a Time!

“A Human Being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, give orders, take orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook  a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.  Specialization is for insects.”            - Lazarus Long

Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

We're forklift lovers here as well... Bertha has 10ft forks with a 20K lbs lift capacity. A green off-road Clark we use most for shuffling things around outdoors. 6ft forks, I forget the lift capacity but it will pickup a front wheel drive car easily. Then finally the battery powered one I use for pulling engines/transmissions and sub assemblies in the shop. Not to mention it doubles as a workbench in the lantern room 😁

Fun project Timm!
Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
rob_pontius
Super Colemanaholic

Post by rob_pontius »

Very cool Timm. We picked up a lift that's almost identical to that a few months ago for $150.00. The seller said it was junk. We found that a wire had come off of the back of the ignition switch. Reconnected the wire and away it goes.
Rob
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

I see you all got the same search results as I did. A little lacking in meat. I'll be chasing some of those links down in hopes of finding a down-loadable manual. Or else I'll just trace everything to where it goes.

I showed it to the local tractor expert this evening, and he believes that it has been restored to some degree in the past, as the A/C decals are much younger than the rig.

I think I'll add some brake fluid tomorrow--as soon as I figure out where the reservoir is--and see where the brakes are leaking. Then tighten up that inaccessible linkage on the carb and see what we have. Be interesting to see where all the leaks are once all the fluids are filled.

I mean, it runs. I've had lanterns that were much worse. I'd hate to try to make a tank big enough to use electrolysis on that thing! I don't think I'll even try nickel-plating it--but wouldn't that be cool?
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

offrink wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:39 pm That looks like fun! I actually could use one lifting logs onto the mill and moving slabs and boards. I really want a rough terrain/off road forklift but those are in the 18k range very well used.
This is a solid-tire rig, so no off-pavement use. A stuck lift truck is a seriously stuck rig.
brokenmantle
Super Colemanaholic

Post by brokenmantle »

i may have to move out there ,get a vwbus/vanagon and have adventure.
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

I'm starting to question this project.

I'm trying to add some brake fluid to find out where all it leaks from.

Here's the brake master cylinder:

It's the rusty thing without yellow paint. The white arrow points to the screw-on cap for the reservoir. The cap has a raised square nut with 1" flats. It's also almost entirely inaccessible. That big bracket above it is the anchor for one of the hydraulic cylinders for the mast tilt, and is firmly welded in place. I found a 1" crowfoot wrench and can get it on the flats, but they are so shallow we can't keep the wrench on well enough to break it loose. Thinking I'll just remove the master cylinder so I can break that cap loose, but now it looks like I need a crowfoot wrench for that, too.

I hate to be a quitter, but without a lift stout enough to hold this lump of iron, I can't even get the master cylinder out. The clevis pin that retains the shaft of the cylinder is only accessible from beneath.

Anyone want a slightly used A/C lift truck? Shipping might be a killer.
Last edited by Gunhippie on Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

I thought brakes on equipment were optional 😁 fun project Timm!!
Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

Well, that's one small victory:

Looking at the condition of the pushrod:

I'm hoping I have a Flex-hone to fit this.

Now I need a few beers, a tetanus shot and a blood transfusion.
egroscup
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by egroscup »

That is a very common master cylinder that is still in production. many older cars that had the master cylinder under the floor used that one. Put one on my Studebaker truck not long ago. Centric part # 130.63003 or https://www.kaiserwillys.com/master-bra ... gInDfD_BwE

Enjoy, E.
The year 2259, the place Babylon 5
Erik
BSAGuy
Super Colemanaholic

Post by BSAGuy »

Timm - you thought your 426 stove was a nasty fighter??? Looks like your free forklift is much more ornery!
- Courtenay
Be Prepared
TwoCanoes
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by TwoCanoes »

Gunhippie wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:34 pm I hate to be a quitter, but without a lift stout enough to hold this lump of iron, I can't even get the master cylinder out. The clevis pin that retains the shaft of the cylinder is only accessible from beneath
A grease pit would be a safer option than a lift. But as narrow and heavy as they are, even a pit requires some careful engineering. Good luck with your project!
Stewart
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

Thanks, Erik!

That certainly looks close, but the mounting holes seem to be staggered, while mine are in-line. Can you confirm this?

Here's the mounting lay-out for my cylinder:

The holes are 3/8" dia, 3 7/16" OC, in line.

I've yet to be able to get the filler cap off--note penetrant--so replacing the cylinder may be my best option.
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

Well, heat, penetrating oil, a hammer and a three-foot pipe wrench got the filler cap off!

But, as I feared:

Looks like some one used water instead of brake fluid. I'm sure the entire brake system is like this, so new cylinders all around and maybe brake lines.
offrink
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by offrink »

This is when I would smile as I drop it off at a heavy duty mechanic and point at it the “bad” parts with a stick and be happy when I pick it up with the huge bill because it will be cheaper and easier if someone else did it. My time is worth money and a never ending project would ruin my week.
Ben
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate Member #0035
Looking for B-Day dates of 6/80, 2/84, 3/11, and 12/13
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

offrink wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:54 pm This is when I would smile as I drop it off at a heavy duty mechanic and point at it the “bad” parts with a stick and be happy when I pick it up with the huge bill because it will be cheaper and easier if someone else did it. My time is worth money and a never ending project would ruin my week.
My thoughts exactly. We have Columbia Forklift service our Toyota electric, so maybe I'll give them a call. That or a local shop that does heavy equipment repairs.
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

I did some more looking on that Willy's site and found what appears to be the correct cylinder: https://www.kaiserwillys.com/category/b ... eep-willys

After removing the output fitting from the cylinder, I was happy to find no rust inside of it, so there's a possibility that the lines and wheel cylinders are still good.
egroscup
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by egroscup »

Cool Timm, the Centric looks to have the correct mounting also.There are places out there who will resleeve your wheel cylinders in stainless if you can't find new ones. I haven't had much luck rebuilding them. Usually once they leak the bore is pitted and they are done. Have fun, E.
The year 2259, the place Babylon 5
Erik