Galactic USPS failure

Meet and greet members, general topics, show your stuff, recent/weekend finds.
egroscup
Serious Colemanaholic

Galactic USPS failure

Post by egroscup »

Well, the postal service has really failed this time. The quality of service has been dropping off rapidly here with stuff being misdelivered to West 8Th instead of East 8Th and sometimes even East 7Th. I recently purchased some very hard to find antique car parts for the Willys-Knight from a gentleman in Australia. The package languished in Brisbane for a few weeks before making the trip over. it cleared customs in Los Angeles and was handed over to USPS. These geniuses promptly sent it to the wrong post office. This was on the 21st of last month. It hasn't been heard from since. I went to the wrong post office in person twice as it happens to be about 1/4 mile away from my work. No luck. They claim that it got sent back to the sorting facility about 20 miles away to be resent to the correct post office where I live. 1st phone call resulted in a request for service. 2nd phone call a few days later "your request was improperly submitted by our representative" and resubmitting it again. 3rd phone call without it being scanned for so long they have declared it lost. Off to the website to file a lost mail claim. Website is garbage and doesn't work properly and it takes forever to get the mess submitted. No updates yet and almost $500.00 worth of stuff is missing. Needless to say I am beyond infuriated. E.
The year 2259, the place Babylon 5
Erik
Stovie
Serious Colemanaholic

USPS failure

Post by Stovie »

Anything worth more than a few bucks (whatever dollar amount is more than you're willing to eat) should have "Signature confirmation - ID Required" + insurance. I've heard the insurance is practically impossible to collect.

It's worth cultivating a good relationship with your letter carrier, if you're lucky enough to have a full time carrier. They can get things done. An 800 number is just wasting time for the most part. Some carriers are quite good, and exceptional individuals. Some ... are not.
Everybody wants to drive the train, nobody wants to shovel the coal.
Cajuncook1

Re: Galactic USPS failure

Post by Cajuncook1 »

I agree, the USPS system is and has been going down hill :(

Sorry, to hear your misfortune.

When it gets this bad, you have stop being nice!

When you talk to someone at USPS, you ask their for their name and supervisor. You keep ringing the bell up the latter until you get results!

Things got so bad around here, they have a manager walking around the postal office (infront) to direct flow and workers so customers are not frustrated!

Sorry buddy....very frustrating :(
Cheers,

Cajuncook1
:cf_beercheers:
Hot_Diggity
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Hot_Diggity »

I have had similar stuff happen here with the wrong post office, and even the wrong address hide and seek. It's been even worse with Canada Post. The good news is that eventually everything arrived where it was intended to go. I hope your issues work out with the same happy results.

If your work gets a lot of deliveries you might consider having your stuff sent there. Especially if it removes the street address mistakes.
Chuck, 3/61, ICCC 1689
Milspec Syndicate #510
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0510
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #12
BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #510
Coleman Slant Saver #510
Frank Appreciation Syndicate Member #2
Tinker, Toy maker, Trash picker, Wickie, Lamp loon
Rubing
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Rubing »

If the package is insured for more than $50 the label is marked “insured” and those packages never seem to get lost.
ICCC # 1402
Stovie
Serious Colemanaholic

USPS failure

Post by Stovie »

Another option is "Restricted" delivery, to the addressee only. These "signature confirmation" products, or even "Registered Mail" cost more - but they aren't too bad in the grand scheme of things. In the case of Registered mail, the carrier has to personally sign for it. They can get fired if they lose it, they tend to pay more attention to that stuff.

Regular parcels, even "Delivery Confirmation", there is no safeguard other than the reading comprehension skills of the carrier. If he delivers it to the right number, but on the wrong street, it will still be bar code scanned into the system as "Delivered".

Also porch pirates are becoming an issue in some places. If you can get to know your carrier, it's not a bad plan to work out alternate delivery locations. Maybe a breezeway or in a special spot in the garage or whatever. Anything but leaving a big ass box front and center by the sight of the road.
kellyblues
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by kellyblues »

Yeah that's beyond frustrating. I used to love usps but they've gone down hill really bad. I've gotten to where I pay extra for insurance, delivery confirmation, something. Anything to reduce the chance of this very thing happening. PO lost an insured package of mine last year. It wasn't so much the money as it was the items. Antique McMillen leather stamps. Ya don't find those any more often than you would a NIB gold bond. I'm still not over that....

Not that any of them are worth a flip. I've got so many UPS horror stories. Have a package being delivered tomorrow that's been in transit for a couple weeks and was " lots" for 3 days. It's been to seventeen different UPS locations.
Milspec syndicate #0044
ICCC member # 1154
Still learning how NOT to do things.
Majicwrench
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Majicwrench »

I had a package last year (an old fly rod) that took months, It had been scanned in somewhere back east and then disappeared. BUT my local Postmaster was optimistic, he said once they are scanned in somewhere it is going to show up somewhere else. And he was correct, it did finally surface.

The moral of the story.....there is hope. Good luck.
Keith
egroscup
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by egroscup »

We will see. I am curious as to how insurance would work on this one as it came from another country. Australia Post did their job and got it to the U.S. as desired. USPS lost it between facilities that are about 20 miles apart with my address in the middle of the two. Kelly, I am with you on UPS also. They managed to deliver some lanterns from overseas to the right house number on Chestnut Lane. How that got confused with East 8Th Ave. is beyond me. That turned into a level 10 mess to get sorted out but at least it did. FedEx is just as bad. Earlier this year we had a bus involved in a crash. It needed a flat panel refabricated along with a grille panel, light and front bumper. Bumper was ordered from the dealer and shipped from the DC in Vegas. It never showed up. FedEx lost a school bus bumper. How do you loose a chunk of metal almost 8 feet long, over a foot tall and it even had some depth as the ends curved back at least 8 inches. It is fairly heavy also. How do you loose something like that? I'm seeing this in every industry where failure is becoming the norm. Anybody else seeing the parallel with what is happening and the book "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand? E.
The year 2259, the place Babylon 5
Erik
Legs
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Legs »

FedEx is the worst, all across the board. Many fails from my personal experiances with them. I too have noted that big business customer service and satisfaction has gone into the hole. Seems businesses just don't care anymore. Crappy call centers, self checkouts, long lines, overpriced crap, lousy shipping, careless packaging. :cf_grouch:
Let it burn....        
Don... Oregon
USA 236 Syndicate #003  Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0126  The Coleman Blue's 243's #097
Coleman Slant Saver 007 Coleman Quick Lite Crew #61  ICC #1438   NRA #147137741
Vintageish
Colemanaholic

Post by Vintageish »

Deliveries are a far cry from what they were , that is for sure.

Had a package belonging to someone else delivered. While ours was who knows where.
Called the delivery company. (Not sure why...)
We contacted the package's intended folks and they came over with...Our package! L.o.l..

Shipping stuff to Mississippi is (for us anyways) fraught with long delays.
Other stuff has ping ponged around for reasons only the post office might be able to explain.
Purty colors. Well , cept'n maybe that brown when it's on fire...
mksmth
Super Colemanaholic

Post by mksmth »

really the only delivery service I can count on is Amazon. they even show a map of where your package is real time. USPS is whenever they get around to it.
Mike
ICCC #2030
Coleman quick lite crew #51
275 syndicate #0429
Love flathead Ford's, tropical plants and Coleman lantern.
Stovie
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Stovie »

There's different reasons why a package can "disappear" and not all of them are the shippers fault.

Make sure anything shipped is packaged securely, use lots of padding, quality boxes and lots of fiber re-inforced strapping tape. Double boxing is required for some things. Heavy items especially that are left free to move and slide around inside a box are almost certainly going to be damaged or even be separated from the box.

That's the next thing, the point is, if something falls out of a box or bubble wrapper, that's it. They aren't going to shut down a conveyor belt to try and match up all those marbles with a box. And your customer will simply get an empty box or bubble envelope delivered to them. If your parcel or container can get run over by a truck or thrown down a flight of stairs without damaging the contents, that's about right.
Dremwolf
Colemanaholic

Post by Dremwolf »

Only time I (so far) have run into problems is when the shipper uses a company that handles the front end of the shipment who partners with USPS for final delivery. Last instance was a company that used DHL to warehouse and ship their merchandise. It bounced around a few DHL facilities before supposedly being handed off to USPS. DHL said they gave it to USPS, USPS said they never received it. No scans showing the transfer. Three months later DHL shows a departure scan and USPS shows a receiving scan. It was delivered a few days later.
Ralph "Drem" Terreault, USAF Veteran, Help On The Homefront Rep, Patriot Guard Riders, Former Location Coordinator
Wreaths Across America, Jacksonville National Cemetery

275 Appreciation Syndicate Member #0328
Mil-Spec Ops #1988
williamlee111
Colemanaholic

Post by williamlee111 »

It's US Government mail. It is what it is. Government transportation; Amtrak. Not the best way to get around either. I suppose we have alternatives though. Fedex, DHL, Brown, etc, if you're willing to pay more for it. It's our choice.
Not looking for anything. I have too much already, my wife says. 

Bill
Whitegas Extraordinaire
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Whitegas Extraordinaire »

I mailed a Tilley shade on Tuesday from NY. It was delivered in California yesterday.
The USPS does get some things done on time.

Thank you!
Kevin

I may frighten easily!
My current shade is Coleman!!
To me a lamp without a shade is creepy!

ICCC # 1865