BB Shake Option?

Meet and greet members, general topics, show your stuff, recent/weekend finds.
Dremwolf
Colemanaholic

BB Shake Option?

Post by Dremwolf »

Ralph "Drem" Terreault, USAF Veteran, Help On The Homefront Rep, Patriot Guard Riders, Former Location Coordinator
Wreaths Across America, Jacksonville National Cemetery

275 Appreciation Syndicate Member #0328
Mil-Spec Ops #1988
Kgam1020
Super Colemanaholic

Re: BB Shake Option?

Post by Kgam1020 »

Lol 😆 that’ll work
Ken.
Looking for Bday lanterns, 10/83, 11/84 and 10/2011.
Milspec Syndicate member #1020 
Dremwolf
Colemanaholic

Post by Dremwolf »

Kgam1020 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:48 pm Lol 😆 that’ll work
I'm getting tired shaking this 118a fount. Maybe that will work quicker???
Ralph "Drem" Terreault, USAF Veteran, Help On The Homefront Rep, Patriot Guard Riders, Former Location Coordinator

Mil-Spec Ops #1988
gwillmot
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by gwillmot »

What's interesting is that I've purchased over 80 lanterns and two stoves and have never used ye ol BB shake.
Luck .... maybe, but then again ... is it really necessary or just a habit?

:cf_idontknow:

P.S. - They ALL function as originally intended.
Still Crazy After All These Years

He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
Mark 16:16

zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

"I'm getting tired shaking this 118a fount."

Well then, stop. What you are doing is mostly ritualistic behavior.
Dremwolf
Colemanaholic

Post by Dremwolf »

gwillmot wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:00 pm What's interesting is that I've purchased over 80 lanterns and two stoves and have never used ye ol BB shake.

With the 118a I recently acquired it sure is need. I've already run more than a gallon of gasoline through it and I am still getting junk and muddy colored gasoline when I dump it.

Mil-Spec Ops #1988
Dremwolf
Colemanaholic

Post by Dremwolf »

zoomkat wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:02 pm "I'm getting tired shaking this 118a fount."

Well then, stop. What you are doing is mostly ritualistic behavior.
So just leave all the junk in there and call it a day?

Mil-Spec Ops #1988
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

Ralph get your fount clean. Your 118 has a screened pickup and will give you fits if it's not free of impurities. Don't listen to the naysayers... Sometimes they just wish things better...
Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

"So just leave all the junk in there and call it a day?"

You need to get works for you. ;)
kellyblues
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by kellyblues »

Ralph do what ya gotta do. I for one use the bb shake when it's needed. Works wonders.
Milspec syndicate #0044
ICCC member # 1154
Still learning how NOT to do things.
mksmth
Super Colemanaholic

Post by mksmth »

The hardest part of the bb shake is getting that last damn one out. Lol.
Mike
ICCC #2030
Coleman quick lite crew #51
275 syndicate #0429
Love flathead Ford's, tropical plants and Coleman lantern.
Dremwolf
Colemanaholic

Post by Dremwolf »

kellyblues wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:53 am Ralph do what ya gotta do. I for one use the bb shake when it's needed. Works wonders.
Well the muddy gasoline is starting to look like tea. So hopefully the end is near.

Mil-Spec Ops #1988
gpaguy
Colemanaholic

Post by gpaguy »

You would probably end up with a hammer tone finish on the inside of your tank. I've always been a fan of coarse thread screws anyway.
Last edited by gpaguy on Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John
Dremwolf
Colemanaholic

Post by Dremwolf »

mksmth wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:14 am The hardest part of the bb shake is getting that last damn one out. Lol.
I was already dreading that since I could not drain all of the gasoline out after the first flush. I found a good magnet that will fit in the fount and already tried neodymium magnets on the bottom to keep them in one place. The other option on the table is tubing and the Shop-Vac. :idea:

Mil-Spec Ops #1988
Dremwolf
Colemanaholic

Post by Dremwolf »

gpaguy wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:11 pm You would probably end up with a hammer tone finish on the inside of your tank.
And it would be hidden. Drats LOL

Mil-Spec Ops #1988
TwoCanoes
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by TwoCanoes »

mksmth wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:14 am The hardest part of the bb shake is getting that last damn one out. Lol.
I use a little magnetic pickup tool. Good for removing the first to the last BB (I use stainless steel sheet metal screws instead). It also is good for getting the larger flakes of rust.

I wonder whether any of the hardware stores around here would mount a fount in their paint shaker to see if it works. Catch them at a slow time of day and I bet they'd get a kick out of trying it.
Stewart
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

"I wonder whether any of the hardware stores around here would mount a fount in their paint shaker to see if it works. Catch them at a slow time of day and I bet they'd get a kick out of trying it."

I doubt that would happen. Some random person walking and asking then to go "off script" with their equipment might entail legal liability issues if things don't go as planned. If a person needs a mechanical shaker, maybe start making one using a jig saw or a reciprocating saw. Light some incense to round things out.
Dremwolf
Colemanaholic

Post by Dremwolf »

zoomkat wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:45 pm "I wonder whether any of the hardware stores around here would mount a fount in their paint shaker to see if it works. Catch them at a slow time of day and I bet they'd get a kick out of trying it."

I doubt that would happen. Some random person walking and asking then to go "off script" with their equipment might entail legal liability issues if things don't go as planned. If a person needs a mechanical shaker, maybe start making one using a jig saw or a reciprocating saw. Light some incense to round things out.
I was thinking the same if using a flammable liquid and the fount developed a leak during the earthquake shake. Not a good thing. Sitting out in your own backyard, maybe not so much.

Mil-Spec Ops #1988
outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

I made a rattle can paint shaker - I had to "tone it down" as it busted the feed tube off a couple!

(Spraying upside down is sort of weird... - Hmm I have a couple that are clogged inside. maybe I need to deliberately bust em? Hmmm)
[Logo%20Outlaw-half] 
Coleman Blue's 243's #341 - 275 Appreciation Syndicate member 0242
FAS #001 Confusing Future Generations of Collectors, One Lantern at a Time!

“A Human Being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, give orders, take orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook  a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.  Specialization is for insects.”            - Lazarus Long

Dremwolf
Colemanaholic

Post by Dremwolf »

outlawmws wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:20 pm I made a rattle can paint shaker - I had to "tone it down" as it busted the feed tube off a couple!

(Spraying upside down is sort of weird... - Hmm I have a couple that are clogged inside. maybe I need to deliberately bust em? Hmmm)
Hey, that's an option to get the last drop out.

Mil-Spec Ops #1988
TSPORT
Colemanaholic

Post by TSPORT »

gwillmot wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:00 pm What's interesting is that I've purchased over 80 lanterns and two stoves and have never used ye ol BB shake.

Necessary? I have a 220 that I bought just to get the case. Has the red lining in the fount that is more wrinkled than the face on a Shar Pei dog. I’m gonna need a BB shake, rattle AND roll to get it cleaned out (plus a good amount of denatured alcohol). I use screws and nuts instead of BBs.
Steve
Partial to single mantles & backpacking stoves (liquid fuel, of course!)
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

"Has the red lining in the fount that is more wrinkled than the face on a Shar Pei dog."

Does the lantern run as is? Just asking for a friend...
mgmlvks
Super Colemanaholic

Post by mgmlvks »

A clean fount is a happy fount. Need to slow down the shaking and ensure no movement of the fount or it gets a wear mark or goes flying. Rotate into different positions as well

Mike, ICCC member #1156, Slant Saver Group #011, 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0215, FAS #20 - Confusing Future Generations of Collectors One Lantern at a Time
"In order for the light to shine so brightly, the darkness must be present"Francis Bacon
(and - for those who have asked - avatar from postcard and says "Coming Home by Rail".  https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4595/2743 ... be00_z.jpg  
outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

I've done both, some need it -some don't - I'd guess high humidity areas more often than dry areas...

I'l use BB's if its a lot of crusty stuff, but if not, then Evaporust is the way to go...
[Logo%20Outlaw-half] 
Coleman Blue's 243's #341 - 275 Appreciation Syndicate member 0242
FAS #001 Confusing Future Generations of Collectors, One Lantern at a Time!

“A Human Being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, give orders, take orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook  a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.  Specialization is for insects.”            - Lazarus Long

TSPORT
Colemanaholic

Post by TSPORT »

zoomkat wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:52 pm "Has the red lining in the fount that is more wrinkled than the face on a Shar Pei dog."

Does the lantern run as is? Just asking for a friend...
Haven’t tried to light it. It looks a mess inside and out. Another project for the wintertime.
Steve
Partial to single mantles & backpacking stoves (liquid fuel, of course!)