Misc. Ramblings

Meet and greet members, general topics, show your stuff, recent/weekend finds.
Moses_Yoder
Colemanaholic

Misc. Ramblings

Post by Moses_Yoder »

I am a little manic this weekend, triggered by finishing a side job I have worked on for two months. I have only slept about 8 hours since 1:30 am Friday morning. I had a few misc. things to finish up on the job in Constantine, about an hour drive, and she had also asked me to cut down a door (she had new flooring installed). When I had it set up to cut the door down I took a break and as I sat in the car vaping I asked myself "If I screw this up how much does a 32" solid oak six panel door cost?" I borrowed the circular saw and bought a new DeWalt 40 tooth blade for it and it ended up cutting very well, no problems. She had set up saw horses and helped carry the door out, she had to leave, and she told me that her brother would help her hang it back. She asked me how much to cut it down and I told her $20 (as a favor to a friend) I had to buy a $15 blade, and she gave me $50. I was a little elated because that meant a mocha at Biggby and some garage sales on the way home. It would have been enough money to buy a lantern from Gene but he had nothing I wanted.

I had stopped at a garage sale on the way home Friday after work and found some geodes. I decided I wanted one of the large ones and stopped there on the way home Saturday afternoon. It took me a bit to find the sale, they did not have all their signs up but the geodes were all still there. I bought the big one and the two little ones for $20, negotiating price in true Amish style. I plan on cleaning them with bleach and getting a pie slice cut out of the big one locally if I can, there are some stone cutters around here I found. I lifted them and the one I chose was the lightest for its size out of the other 3. Am anxious to see what the inside looks like. The two smaller ones I will just display as they are. I did not ask how much they were worth on an internet forum before buying them, it's my money and I don't ask permission to spend it. The same weight in groceries would cost you about $40 today.

I killed some sourdough starter from a friend because I didn't know what I was doing. I ended up buying some from King Arthur, it was around $10 plus $8 shipping but it comes with a great booklet of instructions and recipes. It was a lot of work to nurse it to health, feed it when you get it then wait 24 hours and feed it every 12 hours, left out on the counter, it took about a week before it was nice and healthy. My postal scale works great for measuring ingredients. The thought occurred to me that she is now my pet, her name is Eva. I fed her today, waited until she had grown and was bubbly then put her in the fridge, I plan on making bread next weekend and maybe pancakes with the discard.

I have to make sure I have time to relax on the weekends otherwise my brain loses a lot of capability. Here I am Saturday afternoon with a cigar.

Sunday I worked a long time on painting the antichrist fount (6/66). 3 coats of black and then two coats of red on top fading into black towards the bottom. The black cover coat made the red a brown/orange color, I was not very happy but it still looked okay. I went out for breakfast then came back and tried to paint the Phoenix birds front and back with a stencil I made out of card stock. THe stencil stuck to the paint and pulled a little bit off on the back side, I thought I could live with it, but when I applied it on the front it took off larger chunks. I should have baked the paint before applying the birds. It is a complete strip and redo now. These problems caused me to do some searching for custom decals and I came up with a great plan, completely different design and will paint it again next weekend, I don't know how long it will take to get the transfer decals. It is a 220 fount I am putting a 200A burner on, I have a tap to do that. It will be one of my nicest lanterns when it is done.

That was my weekend, about 4 hours from now I am back at work.
Moses D Yoder/Mose/Mo/Nasti /Smokin' Mo
Sears Syndicate # 651 / 275 Appreciation Syndicate #159 / Slant Saver #22
Psalm 97:11 Light shines on the righteous and joy on the upright in heart.