Repurposed Parts

Meet and greet members, general topics, show your stuff, recent/weekend finds.
Kero Only

Repurposed Parts

Post by Kero Only »

I have attached a photo showing one of many Frankies I have built.
The lantern on the right is the one I shot together using a Leacock Coleman 107 fount, a Coleman 242 burner, and a Optimus 930 vent. The marble column blended in nicely.
The one on the left is also a 107 fount with an HC 1000cp upper.
The middle is the HC 1000cp with their storage box.
These are some of my many that deserve a spot on the top shelf.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
arizonacamper
Super Colemanaholic

Re: Repurposed Parts

Post by arizonacamper »

Those look nice and welcome from Southern Arizona.
Shawn
Shawn
"The truth is that most of us don't know what direction we are going until we arrive there."
"I'm not the friend you will hear from everyday but I'm the friend you can call on anyday."
"Young enough to know I can
Old enough to know I shouldn't
Stupid enough to do it anyway!"
Coleman Quicklite crew #54
Coleman blues 243 #147
Coleman 275 appreciation #74
Milspec syndicate #39
I.C.C.C. #2043

Looking for any lanterns or stoves dated 5/63 or 1/72
Rustytank
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Rustytank »

Howdy! Nice work
Call me Rusty
Sunflame appreciation club #2
275 Appreciation Syndicate #0245
Looking for birthday lanterns 11/58, 3/68, 3/73, 6/85, 11/96, 6/97, 11/97, 12/00
Chucker

Post by Chucker »

Kero is king! Good work.
Chuck
"...“Those that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.” Ben Franklin"

Eye-SEE-C-C Member #1333 -- MilSpecOps #003
"Michigan - from the Ojibwa word “meicigama,” meaning “great water.”
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

Frankie's are the best! Welcome to the CCF from SW Missouri.
Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
mksmth
Super Colemanaholic

Post by mksmth »

Very nice. Always appreciate repurposed stuff.
Mike
ICCC #2030
Coleman quick lite crew #51
275 syndicate #0429
Love flathead Ford's, tropical plants and Coleman lantern.
Jeepstircrazy
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Jeepstircrazy »

Welcome from Northern NY! So now I want to know if A: Leacocks are pretty available in your area?
B: Are you really burning kerosene only and does that
242 burner have a preheat cup?

And I REALLY like the marble handle/stem.. that's awesome! Show us more if you please!
Wayne signing off...

What's the lowest you'll take for this lantern?                                                

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

"I'm not sure if I actually have freetime or if I just keep forgetting stuff!"
( Thanks for that one Uncle Sidney!) :D

And oh... I don't flip GPA's... I have gifted several though. :D
Kero Only

Post by Kero Only »

I appreciate the welcoming.
I can on occasion find the Leacock 107’s(stainless fount) and 105’s (Brass fount) hiding at local garage sales or flea markets.
And yes, the 242 has a preheater cup with a 201 geny installed. I could not locate my box of reproduction cast preheat cups, so this has the offset brass one for now.
I would say 90% of my pressure stoves and lanterns either were produced to use Kero or I convert them to Kero, but I do keep some using white gas and an occasional alcohol conversion.
I cooked last nights burgers on the 1930’s Optimus Campingo dual burner which was made for white gas but burns kero quite well also. The remainder of the meal was cooked of the Primus 2 burner.
I know this is a Coleman forum so I hope it is ok showing the Sweden make products on here as well.
I will get more photos up of the original lamps soon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kero Only

Post by Kero Only »

Some closeups of the 1000cp HC head lamp.
Kero Only

Post by Kero Only »

Some closeups of the 242
Kgam1020
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Kgam1020 »

Those are some nice franks and stoves! Welcome to the madness from western Massachusetts!
Ken.
Looking for Bday lanterns, 10/83, 11/84 and 10/2011.
Milspec Syndicate member #1020 
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #1020
Kero Only

Post by Kero Only »

I just put together some more parts looking for a home. Used an Economy Gas Lamp 400 lower and burner assembly, R55 generator with preheater cup, and a Northstar bail vent glass and cage assembly. I am still debating whether this is a match or not.
Running bright on kerosene.
Kero Only

Post by Kero Only »

I added a spacer to raise the globe cage assembly some, probably too much.
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

Looks to be running good!
Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

Nice Frankies KO!
[Logo%20Outlaw-half] 
Coleman Blue's 243's #341 - 275 Appreciation Syndicate member 0242
FAS #001 Confusing Future Generations of Collectors, One Lantern at a Time!

“A Human Being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, give orders, take orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook  a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.  Specialization is for insects.”            - Lazarus Long

Gasman64
Super Colemanaholic
Title: Gaseous Maximus

Post by Gasman64 »

Some great and interesting Frankies there, KO, nice use of odd parts!
In one of your posts you mentioned concern about posting "other" brands here, especially from overseas. Fear not, just about anything that makes fire is welcome here. Most of us enjoy seeing other brands, and the favorites in my own collection are British kero lanterns. Nice change from green 220Fs... :)
We speak TIlley, Vapalux, Bialaddin, Optimus, Svea, Enders, Aida, Hipolito, and all sorts of other names here.
Also, accept my belated :cf_welcomerainbow: to the CCF.
Steve
ICCC #1012
SE Pennsylvania
Kero Only

Post by Kero Only »

Here is another I just put together. It’s another Economy Gas Lamp 400 lower with a 242C burner running on Kerosene as well. The transition between the stem and collar turned out good on this one. This lamp awaits a black enamel vent to be complete.
The 249 with the 228 big hat is trying to get in the photo as well.
Whitegas Extraordinaire
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Whitegas Extraordinaire »

Kero Only wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:50 pm Here is another I just put together. It’s another Economy Gas Lamp 400 lower with a 242C burner running on Kerosene as well. The transition between the stem and collar turned out good on this one. This lamp awaits a black enamel vent to be complete.
KO
Those look nice and I am hoping you didn't carve up complete Economy lamps to make them?

Thank you!
Kevin

I may frighten easily!
My current shade is Coleman!!
To me a lamp without a shade is creepy!

ICCC # 1865

RLW-67

Post by RLW-67 »

Very nice looking for sure. Wish I had that many spare parts to do stuff like this.
Ron. :cf_flag_usa2:

ISO bday lanterns- 12-44 & 07-94

275 Turd Herder Appreciation Syndicate #1313
BSAGuy
Super Colemanaholic

Post by BSAGuy »

To quote Hedley Lamarr, the oleaginous district attorney from Blazing Saddles....."kinky."
- Courtenay
Be Prepared
Kero Only

Post by Kero Only »

Whitegas Extraordinaire wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:59 pm
Kero Only wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:50 pm Here is another I just put together. It’s another Economy Gas Lamp 400 lower with a 242C burner running on Kerosene as well. The transition between the stem and collar turned out good on this one. This lamp awaits a black enamel vent to be complete.
KO
Those look nice and I am hoping you didn't carve up complete Economy lamps to make them?
The last complete, well almost complete Economy 400 I had was used in the attached photo with a NorhtStar globe/vent/bail assembly. It does have the original burner. The problem I faced was the generator that came with it was no good so I opted for the R55 genny which also gives the ability to clean the nozzle, something I don’t believe the original genny did. I think the original was filled with asbestus wrapped on a wire with no cleaning needle so you had to disassemble to clean the nozzle.
Please correct me if I am wrong on any of that, it was just tid bits of information I gathered while researching the lamp.

This lamp was put together and then displayed to a group of fellow employees and friends. One of them ended up taking it home with them when the numbers looked right for me. I can’t disclose that number though.
Whitegas Extraordinaire
Super Colemanaholic

Kero Only wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:38 pm
Whitegas Extraordinaire wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:59 pm
KO
The last complete, well almost complete Economy 400 I had was used in the attached photo with a NorhtStar globe/vent/bail assembly. It does have the original burner. The problem I faced was the generator that came with it was no good so I opted for the R55 genny which also gives the ability to clean the nozzle, something I don’t believe the original genny did. I think the original was filled with asbestus wrapped on a wire with no cleaning needle so you had to disassemble to clean the nozzle.
Please correct me if I am wrong on any of that, it was just tid bits of information I gathered while researching the lamp.

This lamp was put together and then displayed to a group of fellow employees and friends. One of them ended up taking it home with them when the numbers looked right for me. I can’t disclose that number though.
I’ve found my Economy match light generator interchanged with something else. Perhaps it was a Justrite lamp. The Justrite Dean the mod made me a generator for with nut.
These are examples of GPA not often found intact let alone with nice nickel on the fount yours represents. I was hoping yours had already been converted to Coleman like so many examples were back in the twenties and thirties.

Thank you!
Kevin

I may frighten easily!

ICCC # 1865

Kero Only

Post by Kero Only »

I am really not up to speed on the GPA history, but I read these founts were from 1900-1910ish time frame? I found them together, one with the original burner and two others minus the burner. The founts were all nice condition, even the bottoms were very clean. I couldn’t refuse the asking price. Besides, I needed a change from the coleman quick lites which are similar along with the 105’s and 107’s.
I have a couple more projects in the works but may be some time before the are complete. In the meantime I will enjoy what I have burning.
The attached photos are the first two that got me interested in doing this in the first place.
Gasman64
Super Colemanaholic
Title: Gaseous Maximus

Post by Gasman64 »

Kero Only wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:23 am I am really not up to speed on the GPA history, but I read these founts were from 1900-1910ish time frame?
Those two are nice; paint looks good on them. However, they are from the 1930s; they're 129s, correct?

Here's a good place to study many GPAs of all types:
https://terry-marsh.com/index/
Your lamps which got you started are in this part:
https://terry-marsh.com/coleman-us-lamp ... mid-1920s/
Steve
ICCC #1012
SE Pennsylvania
Kero Only

Post by Kero Only »

I did manage to find an Economy lantern burner assemble believed to be off a model 400 double mantel with straight genny that originally doesn’t come with a cleaning needle. I can post photos if needed.
If anyone is interested let me know, I like to trade items.
Whitegas Extraordinaire
Super Colemanaholic

Kero Only wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:50 am I did manage to find an Economy lantern burner assemble believed to be off a model 400 double mantel with straight genny that originally doesn’t come with a cleaning needle. I can post photos if needed.
If anyone is interested let me know, I like to trade items.
Check your pm.

Thank you!
Kevin

I may frighten easily!

ICCC # 1865

Kero Only

Post by Kero Only »

I completed another project today. Took a beat up 249 and placed it on a 107 fount. The burner assembly will remain there until a good 249 fount comes my way. Or I may just keep it as is, seems to want to work good that way.
The bulging globe I am surprised doesn’t bust when it is on full tilt.
That runs me out of Optimus 930 vents and Economy pieces and parts.
Does anyone have any Optimus 930 vents they may want to part with?
Kero Only

Post by Kero Only »

I put together another for a friend. Used a 107 fount, 220 burner, and 30” textured stainless tube for the handle. Running on Kerosene like usual.
He was looking for a bit taller end table lamp.