Aladdin Blue Flame heater question

Meet and greet members, general topics, show your stuff, recent/weekend finds.
Fj40z
Colemanaholic

Aladdin Blue Flame heater question

Post by Fj40z »

Picked up a Blue Flame heater from a friend yesterday. Overall it’s is ridiculously clean and looks to have been maybe only lit once. The problem is it looks to have been filled with kerosene or paraffin oil then left to sit for 40 years. Very thick sludge in the tank. I’m going to drain out the tank this evening then my plan is to flush with some white gas then a flush with denatured alcohol. I’m a little worried about the possibility of damaging the paint on the tank. Any thoughts as if this would mess up the paint?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Stephen

Quicklite Crew #3
Coleman Slant Saver #55
The Coleman Blue’s 243’s #157
275 Appreciation Syndicate member #0245

sleebus

Re: Aladdin Blue Flame heater question

Post by sleebus »

I've got one in almost the same condition. I've found that denatured alcohol is excellent at removing gummy kerosene with no effort other than waiting; conversely white gas will do nothing. The alcohol will attack paint, but will take some time to do so. Definitely don't let it sit, and wipe it off ASAP if you spill/splash. I'd remove the burner basket if you haven't already and that will give you better access so you can see inside the tank. I'd just pour it out of the filler hole.
Check out my channel at GasUnderPressure
Fj40z
Colemanaholic

Post by Fj40z »

sleebus wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:20 pm I've got one in almost the same condition. I've found that denatured alcohol is excellent at removing gummy kerosene with no effort other than waiting; conversely white gas will do nothing. The alcohol will attack paint, but will take some time to do so. Definitely don't let it sit, and wipe it off ASAP if you spill/splash. I'd remove the burner basket if you haven't already and that will give you better access so you can see inside the tank. I'd just pour it out of the filler hole.
Thanks for the reassurance Sleebus! Didn’t know that white gas wouldn’t work on the gummy kerosene so thanks for the heads up. I’ll move ahead with the denatured alcohol and do it cautiously.

Oddly enough there was no wick installed at all so I bought a NOS replacement off of eBay last night. Plan is to go ahead and clean out the tank tonight and be ready for when the wick arrives. Got this just in time for the cold weather and plan on using it to heat my garage. I know it won’t provide enough heat but really just looking for something to take the chill off.

Stephen

Quicklite Crew #3
Coleman Slant Saver #55

Majicwrench
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Majicwrench »

Oh it will certainly take the chill off. I found my BLue FLame a little smellier than my Perfections, and took a bit more attention to get it to burn right. Good luck with your and let us know how it goes.
Dang purty that one!
Keith
sleebus

Post by sleebus »

Fj40z wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:11 pm Thanks for the reassurance Sleebus! Didn’t know that white gas wouldn’t work on the gummy kerosene so thanks for the heads up. I’ll move ahead with the denatured alcohol and do it cautiously.

Oddly enough there was no wick installed at all so I bought a NOS replacement off of eBay last night. Plan is to go ahead and clean out the tank tonight and be ready for when the wick arrives. Got this just in time for the cold weather and plan on using it to heat my garage. I know it won’t provide enough heat but really just looking for something to take the chill off.
Yup, I found that out when rehabbing an old Aladdin lamp. The Kerosene had completely dried up leaving a gross brown stain inside the clear glass fount. Also smelled like someone dumped a bottle of perfume in it too....ughhhhhh. Tried soaking it with kerosene, no dice. Also tried white gas, no luck. Filled it up with DA and in about 5 minutes it was crystal clear with no scrubbing at all. Just poured it right out, followed up with a soap and water wash and it was pristine. I couldn't believe it.

Mine currently has crap old Kero in it with a clogged wick. It still puts out a surprising amount of heat. I've got a new wick, so the plan is to do the same exact thing you're going to do...clean fount, new wick and let 'er buck. To avoid any smell, just make sure you don't have any yellow flames. If it's all blue, it'll be odorless, even when using that stinky Crown 1-k fuel. I think it'll do nicely in your garage. I'm going to be using mine on our covered/screened patio.
Check out my channel at GasUnderPressure
Fj40z
Colemanaholic

Post by Fj40z »

Got her all cleaned up and back together, just waiting on the new wick. I must say that the denatured alcohol worked like magic on the old kerosene. I had to stop a little short of getting all the residue removed from the outside of the tank which was a bummer. The amount of effort it was taking to remove it all was starting to wear the paint thin in a few places so I decided it was good enough. Can’t wait to use it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Stephen

Quicklite Crew #3
Coleman Slant Saver #55

Kgam1020
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Kgam1020 »

That heater is mint Stephen! I can't wait to see it lit either!
Ken.
Looking for Bday lanterns, 10/83, 11/84 and 10/2011.
Milspec Syndicate member #1020 
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #1020
florida_grown
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by florida_grown »

I recently bought the exact same model as yours, congrats on condition of yours. Yours is in great condition, and would love to hear your garage dimensions and feedback for this as your garage heater once you begin using it.
Sterling
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Fj40z
Colemanaholic

Post by Fj40z »

Thanks guys! As soon as I get the wick I’ll let you know how it does and the measurements

Stephen

Quicklite Crew #3
Coleman Slant Saver #55

Boothm58

Post by Boothm58 »

That is a beauty! I have one missing a fuel filler cap if anyone has one or knows where I might find a replacement. I also see from your photos that I'm missing the center "Flame spreader" too. I just bought the new old Stock wick as well and have same hopes for using as garage heat while fettling lanterns and stoves! Thanks for sharing.
Fj40z
Colemanaholic

Post by Fj40z »

Update and another question. Finally got the new wick delivered and installed. For the life of me I cannot get the wick to burn properly. I can get the blue flame very easy at a setting that’s way too low to provide a decent amount of heat. As soon as I get it into a suitable range that provides good heat I get a flame up in one spot on the wick. I’ve used the wick cleaner on it a few times to no avail. Even smoothed it out with my finger like you would do on a Rayo but I still keep getting an orange flame. As many good reviews as these have I really feel like I’m dealing with operator error here and over looking something. Anyone have any insight as to what might be going on? Thanks!

Stephen

Quicklite Crew #3
Coleman Slant Saver #55

Hot_Diggity
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Hot_Diggity »

Is there a crack in the outer wick tube or a bend maybe that allows more air to mix with the fuel at that point? You could try changing the wicks orientation and see if it's a seam in the wick that makes it thinner at that point.
Chuck, 3/61, ICCC 1689
Milspec Syndicate #510
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0510
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #12
BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #510
Coleman Slant Saver #510
Frank Appreciation Syndicate Member #2
Tinker, Toy maker, Trash picker, Wickie, Lamp loon
Majicwrench
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Majicwrench »

I found those too "fiddley" for my liking.

Don't think a bit of yellow flame is really gonna cause a problem.
Keith
Fj40z
Colemanaholic

Post by Fj40z »

Hot_Diggity wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:29 pm Is there a crack in the outer wick tube or a bend maybe that allows more air to mix with the fuel at that point? You could try changing the wicks orientation and see if it's a seam in the wick that makes it thinner at that point.
That were good ideas and I gave it a try earlier. It did change sides with the wick so I’m guessing something with the wick is causing it. I also did find a few bends in the burner basket. Looks like someone tried to pry the basket out at one time. I straightened it out the best I could and it seemed to help a little. Might try and find a replacement burner basket and another wick but I hate to replace a brand new wick.

Stephen

Quicklite Crew #3
Coleman Slant Saver #55

Fj40z
Colemanaholic

Post by Fj40z »

Majicwrench wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:42 pm I found those too "fiddley" for my liking.

Don't think a bit of yellow flame is really gonna cause a problem.

Honestly I like the way your thinking with both your points LOL! Just about to throw in the towel with this one and find an old Perfection

Stephen

Quicklite Crew #3
Coleman Slant Saver #55

paulbarrette
Super Colemanaholic

Post by paulbarrette »

Looks great Stephen. I was think of one of those for my garage in the winter but i am told that i would need a lot more heat. In 🇨🇦

Pb
Paul Barrette
Coleman Quick lite crew #52
Milspec Syndicate #00085
diablo45

Post by diablo45 »

Great looking blue flame ! These don't put out as much heat as a Perfection but consume less fuel. The flame on yours looks about right for as high as you can go without getting yellow flame. If I remember correctly, these max out about 9000btu. I love mine, run it all winter in my back room to take the chill out.
Also, check out Miles Stairs for all of your kero heater wick needs.
http://www.milesstair.com/
Sam

MilSpecOps #5150

ICCC #1561

Stovie
Legs
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Legs »

Flame shouldn't be too large, but should be consistent. My Aladin is good for warming hands out in my shop...
20211123_142722_copy_600x800.1.jpg
Let it burn....        
Don... Oregon
USA 236 Syndicate #003  Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0126  The Coleman Blue's 243's #097
Coleman Slant Saver 007 Coleman Quick Lite Crew #61  ICC #1438   NRA #147137741