Toyota any good?

Meet and greet members, general topics, show your stuff, recent/weekend finds.
1oldfart

Toyota any good?

Post by 1oldfart »

Anyone know if toyota vehicles are any good? The tacoma and the rav 4 and 4 runner seem like a decent vehicle but are toyotas any good? How many miles or kms and years will you get out of one? Are they worth the money? Why so expensive?
805colemanDude

Re: Toyota any good?

Post by 805colemanDude »

Wife's 09 sequoia has 175k still purring with normal maintenance. Oldest daughters 05 4 runner over 210k same thing. I would imagine the new stuff is as good if not better.

My daily driver Cummins...oh wait nvm lol
Tristan
ICCC# 2089
Fly Eagles Fly
74HARLEY
Super Colemanaholic

Post by 74HARLEY »

Good,yes. Depends on what you are going to be doing with them. My neighbor is a Toyota guy and just loves them. They just don't make one big enough for the likes of me.
Joe
looking for 200a 11-56,9-77,2-65 Coleman 275 appreciation syndicate member #0004 ICCC #1262
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #19
Frank appreciation syndicate member #9
Bouncing between California and Washington....
Chucker

Post by Chucker »

I don't drive Toyota. However, I have friends and family who own, or have owned them, and they enjoy above average miles on their Toyota's.

When a new driver asks me about a "good economy car", there are only two in the U.S. - Honda and Toyota, still.
Chuck
"...“Those that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.” Ben Franklin"

Eye-SEE-C-C Member #1333 -- MilSpecOps #003
"Michigan - from the Ojibwa word “meicigama,” meaning “great water.”
Pancholoco1911
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Pancholoco1911 »

We drive ‘17 Camry 75k miles bought it certified with 45k miles at $18k. It’s a 4 banger

‘18 4Runner SR5 4x4 v6 4.0l not fuel saver but roomy for us. 25k miles, bought it December 2018 new

For longevity I don’t know yet but had a 2005 Scion xA with 50k when bought it and put 100k miles when sold to my brother-in-law and he’s at 200k now on just regular maintenance (oil and gas and two transmission flushes in his life no other issues but a started fail at 148k miles)

I’ve heard the new tacos (3.5l) struggle in uphills. My 4Runner on 33’s drove it in July to Colorado no issues on Rocky Mountain roads

Thinking to sell the 4Runner and downward to GX470 or 200 series LC with the 4.7l engine 2005 or newer but prices now are very expensive
~Pancho~ :cf_howdyhat:

ICCC MEMBER #: 1993
Kansas_John
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Kansas_John »

Traded in my 2008 Tacoma on a 2021 Tacoma in December. The ‘08 had 276,000 miles and the dealer gave me $10k trade-in.
John M. Lawrence, KS
ICCC #1431

Looking for any oddball moderns and an REI single burner anniversary stove.
Marmock

Post by Marmock »

Love my Toyota Tacoma TRD. Can’t go wrong with Honda or Toyota. I’ve owned alot of makes. American, German, Japanese.
thezman
Colemanaholic

Post by thezman »

I had a 1988 Toyota pickup. It went 18.5 years and 260,000 miles before it was not worth throwing money at.

Replaced it with a 2006 Tacoma that still is my everyday driver that has 105,000 miles on it.

They just seem to work.
Larry
Gasman64
Super Colemanaholic
Title: Gaseous Maximus

Post by Gasman64 »

Yes, I think they're fine. My very first car was a 1975 Corolla, however, not an import. Now there's a mystery for you... ;)
Last edited by Gasman64 on Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
ICCC #1012
SE Pennsylvania
Deanofid

Post by Deanofid »

My '85 Chevy 4wd S10 had 310 thou on it when I sold it about 6 years ago. Had the small v6 and a 4 speed manual tranny. If Toys or Hondas can do better, then buy them. I doubt they can match that mileage from my old Chevy S10. It was amazing, but the guy I sold it to is still driving it. Next best pickup I had was a 2005 F150 Ford pickup. It also had a v6 and it would git with it. I only sold it because it was 2WD, and that is not great in my area.
What I have been driving the past 15 years is a Suzuki Vitara. Bought it in 2006. The only thing it has needed is brake pads and a camshaft timing sensor, plus oil changes. That one is the cheapest vehicle I have ever bought. It just hasn't needed any big things done besides putting gas in it and that camshaft sensor (about $200) five years ago. It's a good little car, and I have never got stuck in the snow with it. Ever. And I get a LOT of snow. It's a 2001 model. 20 years old now! Still starts and goes like new.
Dean -Midnight Kerosene Ritualist--Deans Machine:  www.deansmachine.com  
ICCC #1220.   275 commiseration #0018.
"In Him was life, and His life was the Light of men."  John 1:4
Pancholoco1911
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Pancholoco1911 »

Gasman64 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:42 am Yes, I think they're fine. My very first car was a 1975 Corolla, however, not an import. Now there's a mystery for you... ;)
You got me on that. From 90’s was Geo Prizm the same as a Corolla. A Pontic Vibe was the same as the Toyota Matrix

johneliot
Colemanaholic

Post by johneliot »

Yep, they are a reliable brand. I have an ‘07 Prius that has over 200 thousand miles and still gets over 40 mpg, I have an 2016 Tundra and my wife has a new Rav4. I also had a Chevy Prizm that was a good car engine (because the engine said toyota) wise but I did have to replace worn interior parts. My 2000 civic is running strong at over 160,000 miles. Both are good brands. Oh and my 69 VW bug is running great too! The last two are cars I can actually work on.
John
Chico, CA

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.” 
― Albert Einstein
Boglo

Post by Boglo »

I have a 2011 Toyota Prius and have averaged 45 mpg. Two years ago I took it in for service proud that it tripped 100K miles without any major issues and made sure I pointed it out to the technician. The technician looked at me and said that was nothing. Other older Models are coming in with 250 and 300K. It was at that moment that I decided I did not have to look for a new vehicle for a long time. However, if I find a Westfalia I can afford, I would give up the Prius in a second.
Bo
Vintageish
Colemanaholic

Post by Vintageish »

I was headed towards a Tacoma just before Covid started affecting the market.
Year old new on a lot .
A Chevy dealer got to close in range of what I was willing to pay on a somewhat compatible Colorado W.T.. (Yes , I'm cheap at times)Then offered an option added at thier cost. Well , allegedly so...)

The only legit complaint I could find about Toyota Tacomas' from drivers ,wantta be upgraders , current users of any substance was Toyota not "upgrading" models frequently enough.
Of course that was then.

Wouldn't bother me to run a Totota.
Dealer location for service is about the only excuse I have for not owning one. Despite the price wrangling I went through.
Purty colors. Well , cept'n maybe that brown when it's on fire...
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

Just curious why somebody has to ask that question.
Pancholoco1911
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Pancholoco1911 »

zoomkat wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:52 pm Just curious why somebody has to ask that question.
Because he may have never owned one and want to hear firsthand experience from this awesome site.

Have a wonderful day!

Whitegas Extraordinaire
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Whitegas Extraordinaire »

I’ve heard great things about Toyota vehicles. I’ve tried a couple of times to buy one but can’t.
Apparently I don’t like quality as I’m Mopar or No Car.

Thank you!
Kevin

I may frighten easily!
My current shade is Coleman!!
To me a lamp without a shade is creepy!

ICCC # 1865

zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

"Because he may have never owned one and want to hear firsthand experience from this awesome site."

Maybe the OP is just trolling you into doing the research and 'splaining. I have a 2015 Tacoma and I didn't need my mom or others to help me out. Just read the original post again. YMMV
Deansierras220

Post by Deansierras220 »

Toyota is pretty hard to beat. They are dependable, they last, and hardly ever breakdown. With regular maintenance they will last a very long time. Most American cars are toast after 150,000 miles, Toyotas, especially the older ones, just go and go and go. I have a 2006 Tundra that I bought new in October 2005, still have it, runs great and have no plans to get rid of it anytime soon. It would take a lot of convincing to get me to buy anything else.
major_man
Colemanaholic

Post by major_man »

Just watch older episodes of top gear where they try to kill a Toyota pick up.
Would say depends on its intended use and if you’re worried about resale value.

I have a friend that works in the mining industry, they now only buy Toyota after burning through tranny’s on other brands. Also look at what they drive out in the desert, only Toyota’s.
William
WTB or trade for poultry or USFS.
Jeepstircrazy
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Jeepstircrazy »

What would the Taliban use if it wasn't for Toyota trucks? Versatile , troop carrier, Machine gun mount , practically indestructible!!etc...? Oh that's right they just got a huge departing gift from us.....Toyota sales dropped in that part of Africa!
Wayne signing off...

What's the lowest you'll take for this lantern?                                                

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

"I'm not sure if I actually have freetime or if I just keep forgetting stuff!"
( Thanks for that one Uncle Sidney!) :D

And oh... I don't flip GPA's... I have gifted several though. :D
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

'What would the Taliban use if it wasn't for Toyota trucks?" and "Toyota sales dropped in that part of Africa!" maybe needs more 'splaining.
Weirdnerd
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Weirdnerd »

My previous 1991 4 Runner went beyond 300,000 miles with oil changes and a couple alternators. Sold it for the same money I paid for it.

Now I have a 2008 4Runner, going through 228, 000 miles.
The Squirrels are up to something....

If you need a Sun Flame Generator Model 100-107 ( for Sunflame lanterns models 105, 106, 107 and 110) give me a PM, I have close to 80 of those, 15 bucks each.

Werner
Newfie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Newfie »

I'm driving the wife's hand-me-down Pontiac Vibe as my commuter vehicle.

It's got almost 190,000 kilometres on it and it's been problem free. Knowing that it was Toyota underneath I expected that.

I hate it though because it's red but I love it because of it's reliability and fuel efficiency.

Pancholoco1911 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:55 am
Gasman64 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:42 am Yes, I think they're fine. My very first car was a 1975 Corolla, however, not an import. Now there's a mystery for you... ;)
You got me on that. From 90’s was Geo Prizm the same as a Corolla. A Pontic Vibe was the same as the Toyota Matrix
Shane Looking for the following Canadian birthday lanterns or lamps: 2-32, 6-34,
Jeepstircrazy
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Jeepstircrazy »

Wayne signing off...

Weirdnerd
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Weirdnerd »

I must stress that Toyota is not at fault for the use of their vehicles by a bunch of iditos....

If you need a Sun Flame Generator Model 100-107 ( for Sunflame lanterns models 105, 106, 107 and 110) give me a PM, I have close to 80 of those, 15 bucks each.

Werner
Weirdnerd
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Weirdnerd »

If I remember, syria had an arsenal of ww2 issued German STG44 automatic rifles...

http://www.wearethemighty.com/uncategor ... ade-rifles

Werner
Jeepstircrazy
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Jeepstircrazy »

Weirdnerd wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:33 am I must stress that Toyota is not at fault for the use of their vehicles by a bunch of iditos....
Yeah, read the second link.... you are absolutely right. They actually commandeer them. Toyota isn't too happy with all of the photos bearing Taliban....
Wayne signing off...

Deanofid

Post by Deanofid »

Pancholoco1911 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:32 pm
zoomkat wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:52 pm Just curious why somebody has to ask that question.
Because he may have never owned one and want to hear firsthand experience from this awesome site.

Have a wonderful day!
Thumbs up, Man!
It doesn't matter if it is something another person thinks he knows all about. It is about helping other members to learn something they want to know about. Whether it is about cars/trucks, or buying a new pig for family meat. We are here to talk to our brothers and sisters, and if we can, offer good advice.
Right on, Pancho.
Deanofid

Post by Deanofid »

Weirdnerd wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:33 am I must stress that Toyota is not at fault for the use of their vehicles by a bunch of iditos....
Amen, brother Werner! We can't control what vehicles the head choppers buy. You are right on in this regard and in this thought!

Hope you have a great weekend, and make it to FLA soon, bro!
Deanofid

Post by Deanofid »

zoomkat wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:16 pm 'What would the Taliban use if it wasn't for Toyota trucks?" and "Toyota sales dropped in that part of Africa!" maybe needs more 'splaining.
Maybe needs less snarking, Zoomie. I have called out your good points in the past, but at this moment you are just spouting non-relatable faux arguments. Why? You know what the OP wanted to know. It's right there in his first post to the thread.
Let it go, dude. Let it go. It's just conversation on the forum, which is a really good thing. If you can, stop picking nits, brother forum member.
No offense to you. Just straight up conversation on the forum. It's a good place. Lets keep talking to each other. Yeah?
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

"Zoomkat.... watch the news once in a while..."

I watch a lot of news from around the world but I missed seeing the Taliban move to "Africa". Your videos seem to be in Afghanistan. But that being said, the Toyotas are popular with military types in Africa too.
RobSchroff
Colemanaholic

Post by RobSchroff »

I'm usually not one to side with Zoomie, but JSC's comments weren't exactly on-topic either. (Incidentally, several of the trucks shown in the first link shared are Nissans)

The Taliban probably likes Toyota trucks because they are exceptionally reliable, rugged, and dependable, even in inhospitable environments. That's why the United Nations and Red Cross migrate toward the use of Toyota trucks. That's why average people migrate toward the use of Toyota trucks.

I have owned 5 land cruisers, 3 Tacomas, 2 Lexus LX450s, 2 Tercels, a Corolla, a Prius, and probably a few others. Ive also owned Ford and Chevy trucks, and Ford, Mazda, and Honda cars. Toyotas are good cars. They last a long time and seem to hold their value well. The Rav4, Camry, Corolla, and Tacoma are consistently among the best-selling vehicles each year, often leading their segments. There is a reason for that.
rainjer

Post by rainjer »

I currently own a 2015 Tacoma SR5 Double Cab 4X4 with 80,000 miles on it. I bought it with 8 miles on it. I have loved the truck from day one. It has been very reliable. Besides the scheduled oil changes and service, the only issues I have has was I had 2 of the 4 electric lock actuators go bad a bout 2 month apart last year. Fortunately I had an extended warranty so It cost me nothing to have it fixed. The only downside for me is the payload/tow capacity is not that great. That is why I have a new Ford F-150 on order. That means the Tacoma will be used as a trade in when the truck gets here. I really don't want to sell it but I cannot justify having 2 trucks. If I could I would keep it as my daily driver, I would....
Yosemite John

Post by Yosemite John »

Toyota spare parts are way too expensive IMHO
I bought a new Yaris in 2017.
Every time I brought it in for warranty work they wanted to charge me $100 to run the diagnostics.
With the rear seat head rests up, the review mirror is worthless.
With the rear seat head rests down, the rear seat is worthless.
It does get good mileage, but I wouldn't buy another unless forced into it.
A Happy Camper
1oldfart

Post by 1oldfart »

I guess you are better off sticking to either GM or Ford then. I also heard that about parts. When you need them they are expensive!
RobSchroff
Colemanaholic

Post by RobSchroff »

So ignore all the empirical (sales) data, Toyota's 60+ year track record of dependability, and all of the first-hand opinions (which you specifically solicited) offered by Toyota owners on the forum, and instead base your opinion on one person's unsupported opinion that "parts are way too expensive"?

I encourage you to do your own research, but a quick search on average repair costs resulted in the following:

"BMW and Mercedes-Benz were the most expensive to maintain over 10 years, according to the data. Toyota, on the other hand, was the most economical manufacturer, costing about $5,500 to maintain over a decade.

Ford, Chevy and Dodge all ended up somewhere in the middle.

Toyota was really the standout in this study. None of its models made the most expensive list"
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

1oldfart wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:18 am When you need them they are expensive!
What's not these days? 😳😁
Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
Darkermark

Post by Darkermark »

I am currently on my 4th toyota pickup in the last twenty years, my first was a 89 4x4 22re sold it, 2nd a 92 22re 2wd, lost it to a moose, 3rd was a 92 22re 4x4 sold it, now I have a 94 4x4 22re. These trucks do not depreciate, in fact I think my 94 is probably worth more now than it was 10 years ago. I absolutely love these little trucks. First 2 pics are my 94, 3rd is moose truck, 4th is my 92.
egroscup
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by egroscup »

Google Toyota truck frame issues. I'm sure that they have learned their lesson and have that problem solved. E.
The year 2259, the place Babylon 5
Erik
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

I helped build a Toyota Yaris for the AlCan 5000 rally. Not only did it make it, but that year all but four cars backed out due to weather and the race was officially cancelled. My buddy Steve Carper was one of the four rigs that actually made the whole trip and drove on the Beaufort Sea!

I borrowed another Yaris to drive to Portland from here. It's about 400 miles. I fueled up once on the way out, and once one the way back--with and eight-gallon tank. Not only did it average 44 mpg, it was funner than a frog in a glass of milk to drive!

These were both mid-to-early-teens Yarises. Yarisi? Anyhow, maybe hard to get parts for, but I WANT ONE!
It's priceless until someone puts a price on it.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Texan's last words: "Y'all--hold my beer--I wanta' try sumptin'."
Timm--Middle of nowhere, near the end of the road, Oregon.
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

"Maybe needs less snarking, Zoomie."

Just relaying my observation of this discussion. So far it has been entertaining, but more 'splining is needed as it looks like "GM or Ford" are in the lead. Must... try.... harder... ;)
Dmacp
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Dmacp »

I drive an '02 Tacoma and it just turned over 298,000 miles, burns just a tad of oil and drives fine. A/C still works too.
Dan
ICCC member #604
GaryColeman

Post by GaryColeman »

I’m thinking about buying a 2022 Tundra. My 2000 Tundra only has 494,000 miles on it, though.
I.C.C.C. #1035
Formerly known as Lake George
CCF member since July, 2010
Current Premier of the E.C.C.C.C.
What good shall I do this day?
MNfarmer

Post by MNfarmer »

I have a 2007 Tundra with 238,000 miles and a 2012 with 78,000. the 2007 blew a head gasket at 200,000. Tried to buy a factory reman and they wanted $27,000 from Toyota. A used junkyard engine would be $9-10,000. My local mechanic and machine did a rebuild for$5000. Parts are expensive but you don't need parts very often. My only real complaint is gas mileage sucks. Besides the Tundras the family has owned 12-14 other Toyotas. The only other one I had problems with was a Sienna van that had really poor electric side door mechanisms that were very expensive to fix ($3000 per time).
Darius
Whitegas Extraordinaire
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Whitegas Extraordinaire »

MNfarmer wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:12 am the 2007 blew a head gasket at 200,000. Tried to buy a factory reman and they wanted $27,000 from Toyota.
😳

Wow, my Italian diesel would cost less, that’s insane!

Toyota had a frame made and installed in a friends Tundra. I think he was in a rental for 8 months, they paid but he woulda been happy with 10k in a buyback. They ended up paying over 20k in extended warranty.

Thank you!
Kevin

I may frighten easily!
My current shade is Coleman!!
To me a lamp without a shade is creepy!

ICCC # 1865

Weirdnerd
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Weirdnerd »

1oldfart wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:18 am I guess you are better off sticking to either GM or Ford then. I also heard that about parts. When you need them they are expensive!

The most expensive part I got for my 2008 4Runner was the alternator, 190 bucks. Everything else they have at any NAPA/O'Reilly/parts stores by the counter.

Werner
outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

Do not feed the troll!.JPG
I bought my first Toy almost 3 years ago. 1987 4WD van - Well north of 30 years, old, and now approaching 320K miles, uses NO oil, runs fine, parts for the basic mechanicals are readily available, and not expensive. -Toyota took it in for the one recall (odd back acting steering box that drives the real steering box...) I know people that take these things to a half million miles...

Other family members are Toyota owners for most of their lives.

I've been (mostly) a Ford guy most of my life, but Ford doesn't build what I need/want (We do still have the Tbird) so I had to move on.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
[Logo%20Outlaw-half] 
Coleman Blue's 243's #341 - 275 Appreciation Syndicate member 0242
FAS #001 Confusing Future Generations of Collectors, One Lantern at a Time!

“A Human Being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, give orders, take orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook  a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.  Specialization is for insects.”            - Lazarus Long

Yosemite John

Post by Yosemite John »

RobSchroff wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:00 am So ignore all the empirical (sales) data, Toyota's 60+ year track record of dependability, and all of the first-hand opinions (which you specifically solicited) offered by Toyota owners on the forum, and instead base your opinion on one person's unsupported opinion that "parts are way too expensive"? [/size]
It's my first hand opinion, based on my own, bought new 2017 'yota and supported by the withdrawal column in my personal check book.
Another issue is tires---a difficult size to find and never in stock at my Toyota dealer(or Mazda dealer, as Yaris is a Mazda under a different badge) Come to think of it, the correct wiper blades are hard to find at the dealer as well.

For me, this is an annoyance but I have to admit my Yaris is economical on gas, handles well and is tough. My son took it to Aspen and delivered pizzas with it a few Winters ago.
Last edited by Yosemite John on Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
A Happy Camper
Rubing
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Rubing »

zoomkat wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:34 am "Zoomkat.... watch the news once in a while..."

I watch a lot of news from around the world but I missed seeing the Taliban move to "Africa". Your videos seem to be in Afghanistan. But that being said, the Toyotas are popular with military types in Africa too.
The OP was probably speaking in general when he said the Taliban was in Africa.
Unfortunately it is even worse as there are much more dangerous Jihadi groups in Africa that are associated with the Taliban that might wind up with the weapons and vehicles we abandoned in Afghanistan. The Taliban are equal opportunity terrorists.

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/order-fr ... in-africa/
ICCC # 1402