the VW shack

Meet and greet members, general topics, show your stuff, recent/weekend finds.
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

the VW shack

Post by SteveRetherford »

i have had an old VW for like 30 years here . im not getting any younger at 66 :-) so im trying to turn my attention back to this 51 vw split window ..... this is what they call the pan , the starting point . i can do most of this myself but im not a welder so some stuff i will sub out . still not sure if i will get it powder coated or just paint the pan myself . my hope is to start putting it together when the pan is done ...i have the motor , trans and the front end rebuilt already ..... its a pretty big project in my eyes , never done a frame off resto ....

in part the reason i never got started is cuz i have no place to do the work ......so i converted a chainlink dog kennel in the back yard into the VW SHACK , added some tin roofing and tarps around 3 sides , put the pan up on the saw horses . extension cord with a powerbar , compressed air hose and kicked the dogs out :-)

notice the coleman lantern for night work :-)

Last edited by SteveRetherford on Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:11 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Steve , Keeper of the Light !!!
BSAGuy
Super Colemanaholic

Re: the VW shack

Post by BSAGuy »

That's a BIG fettle, Steve. Good luck with it and post some pics along the way.
- Courtenay
Be Prepared
brucesheehe
Super Colemanaholic
Title: ECCENTRIC BLOCKHEAD

Post by brucesheehe »

Don't get hurt messing around.
Bruce Sheehe, aka ECCENTRIC BLOCKHEAD
ICCC #889 - Connoisseur of Time, Friends, Leisure, & Coleman   Altoona, PA - The Mountain City - Near The Eastern USA Continental Divide
Launchpad95
Colemanaholic

Post by Launchpad95 »

sounds like a big undertaking, luckily it is an older car that is still simple to work on. There is not very many wires to hook up. If you get good at it, I have a 99 bug that needs a transmission swap.....

I also think you are gonna need more than one lantern to work at night. 😉
Tom 
North Idaho
Majicwrench
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Majicwrench »

You can't think about the whole thing, just one bolt at a time. Whistle while ya work and pretty soon start taking shape.

Looking forward to progress pictures.......

I like to get things done, powder coating would be one more thing for me, just paint and next thing. Your call thouigh
Keith
immrbill

Post by immrbill »

Nice project. Love your VW shack I love any form of air cooled VWS. I have had Bugs, Busses and Karmann Ghias 72 yrs old now and service connected and my eyes weren't what they were. My epitaph should read He loved his family, Air Cooled VW's and Harleys
TunkTop

Post by TunkTop »

Good for you!
Like Keith said, one thing at a time and pretty soon you are driving.
E.B. Leland
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

on the Samba i go by my3bugs as i have 3 bugs , a little play on the old TV show "my three sons" .
12057dave
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by 12057dave »

Nice project Steve. Can’t wait to see the progress pictures. I’m not up on VWs much but aren’t the split windows somewhat rare? My dad had a pretty nice 66 bus at one time. Downshifted on the interstate and spun a bearing. Pop wasn’t to thrilled with me.

Dave                                                       BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #1957

Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0678

Mister_Wilson
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Mister_Wilson »

Glad you’re going to get it back together and on the road! I have a lot of good memories of my 56, going to the Bug-Ins at OCIR, hanging out after hours working on our cars at the VW shop where my BIL was a mechanic. Definitely will need progress pictures.
John
H.C. Lanterns dealer
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #2001 A Turd's Odyssey
Canadian Blues #028
Coleman Slant Saver #31
Looking for 6-56 and 6-58 Birthday lanterns.
There's been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about.
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

got the fuel line cleared thru the pan tunnel , what a cloud of fuel dust came out COUGH COUGH. and stuck a wire inside to knock stuff loose .

i have a wire run thru everywhere a cable is supposed to be , all but one is plugged up solid , dont understand why , its a heater cable plugged up about 6 inches in from the end, might try to stick a drill in there . not a real important cable but i want em all working .........using a wire wheel thing , i got another side if the pan cleaned up , about ready to flip it over .......im getting better with a dolly n hammer , lots of wierd angles but none of this really shows once done , carpet hides it all ...but i dont think you find the areas i have fixed so far :-) might just get a case of rattle can paint , cuz my compressor spits so much water , i can never seem to get it all out and my hose it long , that may part of the problem , i can run my hose to just about anywhere in the yard :-)
Bob1774
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Bob1774 »

Creative way to get the project done! Sometimes you just got to do what you got to do!

Like others said, can't wait to see the progress pix.
Bob
pagrey
Colemanaholic

Post by pagrey »

As far as paint you might try Rust-Oleum semi-gloss black professional in the can and roll it on. I've started using it on my Jeep skid plates and sections of the frame I clean up. It goes on thick, wears pretty well and is just about a million times easier to deal with compared to rattle can. A quart covers a huge area, you might even cover the whole pan.
Paul
johneliot
Colemanaholic

Post by johneliot »

Hey Steve,
Look like yours?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/335395.jpg
If I was closer I’d love to bring my Mig over and we’d weld those puppies up!
John
Chico, CA

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.” 
― Albert Einstein
johneliot
Colemanaholic

Post by johneliot »

If you haven’t yet, try a cable attached to a cordless drill. That might work to unclogg that tube. I to am on the Samba.
John
Chico, CA

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.” 
― Albert Einstein