Polishing a Turd: A 275 Odyssey

Meet and greet members, general topics, show your stuff, recent/weekend finds.
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Polishing a Turd: A 275 Odyssey

Post by Gunhippie »

A friend, Mike, has been going to a fishing/hunting camp on the Noatak river, AK for a few decades. Last year, the tundra reclaimed the cabin and a new one was built. Mike dug through the ruins looking for a memento of his many stays and great times in the old cabin, and came home with this:

According to Mike, the cabin owners aren't real big on maintenance, and this lantern shows it. The vent is in fair condition, but entirely black with soot. The collar and globe are missing, and the paint pretty sketchy on the fount top. His instructions were to "make it work, but no re-paint or extreme measures".

OK, so time to tear it down. I've only done one 275 in the past, a few years ago, so I've forgotten most everything except that I don't enjoy working on 275s. I recall that I found a great photo tutorial on the 275, including things like getting the valve set properly, but can't find it again, so time to wing it.

This is a 1/ '79 275 (not A), but it's somewhat different from the one I've done before, mostly in the valve.

Where the other 275 had a Circlip to retain the valve position thing, this has a soft brass roll pin. I hate roll pins. If you don't have the right, special punch and hold your mouth just right, you're going to mash the end of the pin over, leaving drilling as the only alternative. I did this immediately.

Well, maybe I'll get lucky and the valve stem packing won't leak. Let's pull the valve out and get to the Schrader at its heart.

Next problem: That FA tube ain't budging. It has two flats for a wrench, which I quickly round off. I put it in the ultrasonic with the rest of the parts which aren't aluminum, cadmium plated or painted.

Still won't move. Maybe Coleman used a thread locker, so I heat it up to the point that I now know that Schrader is toast, and it still won't move. I use a pair of Channelocs, and just chew it up.

When at first you don't succeed, quit--that's my motto. Fortunately, I have an earlier 275 as a parts donor, and it has the Circlip on the valve:

Easy peasy. The FA tube comes out with little resistance.

But:

Yup, that's half of the Schrader. The other half is firmly stuck in the FA tube. After about an hour of wrestling with it, some heat finally gets the piece to release.

Fortunately, I also have a lot of refrigeration parts around the brewery boneyard, so I salvage an oil/fuel/heat rated Schrader from there.

Of course, when I go to reassemble the valve, the Circlip goes ziiiing and vanishies to wherever it is that small parts go in the shop, never to be seen again. A quick trip to the hardware store and I have another 5/16" Circlip and the valve is made whole again.

Not on to the rest of it. Let's hope this is easier!

Here's something interesting:

That's the underside of a peeling paint chip. It's dull white. Did Coleman actually use a primer on these?

Time to start putting it all back together:

First, make a new gasket for the cap (another thread) and replace it. Turns out, the old gasket comes right out in one piece! I've never had that happen, and it probably means it was fine. Oh, well, replace it anyway.

On to the gen.

On the second heat/quench cycle, the guts pop right out!

That's a nice change!

I'm in the habit of always running a rod down the gen tube from the top, just in case one of those pesky screens is waiting to bend the pricker.

Yep.

Give it a good ol' fashioned Hippie Wrap with solder wick:

And it's ready to go. That, BTW, was 12 inches of wick.

Now to adjust the new Schrader valve. This is the part I was hoping to find the tutorial for, but, once again, I'll wing it. I screwed the valve assembly into the fount with the cap and new pump leather, turn the valve to the "OFF" position, put a drop of DNA in the top of the eccentric and give the pump a few strokes. DNA bubbles out. Pull the valve, unscrew the FA tube one turn, repeat until no air comes out. Now I tighten the FA tube a little, test again. Repeat until it leaks again, then slack off just a bit. Got it!

Brass parts all went in the US cleaner. All other parts got a goodly scrubbing with Dawn soap and a white Scotch Brite pad.

I had to do some digging to find the box of replacement 275 globes I got at a hardware store going-out-of-business sale a few years ago (they're still in business), but I did find them.

Fuel it up, tie on some Philippines Peerless mantles, burn 'em in, and....

Money Shot!

It even turns off!

TFL. I hope Mike's happy with this PITA.
Last edited by Gunhippie on Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's priceless until someone puts a price on it.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Texan's last words: "Y'all--hold my beer--I wanta' try sumptin'."
Timm--Middle of nowhere, near the end of the road, Oregon.
12057dave
Serious Colemanaholic

Re: Polishing a Turd: A 275 Odyssey

Post by 12057dave »

Very nice Timm! Ya did real good on that one. She turned out real nice. Your friend Mike ought to be well pleased with that😎.

Dave                                                       BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #1957

Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0678

Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

Well done Timm. That should make him happy!!
Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
brucesheehe
Super Colemanaholic
Title: ECCENTRIC BLOCKHEAD

Post by brucesheehe »

Those lanterns take some careful tuning. NICE job. They are not easy to work on.
Bruce Sheehe, aka ECCENTRIC BLOCKHEAD
ICCC #889 - Connoisseur of Time, Friends, Leisure, & Coleman   Altoona, PA - The Mountain City - Near The Eastern USA Continental Divide
mksmth
Super Colemanaholic

Post by mksmth »

Great story and excellent save! I'm rather found of turds.
Mike
ICCC #2030
Coleman quick lite crew #51
275 syndicate #0429
Love flathead Ford's, tropical plants and Coleman lantern.
1hpycmpr
Super Colemanaholic

Post by 1hpycmpr »

Nice work, Timm. Proof that one can polish a turd!
Mark
*Stargazer*
Weirdnerd
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Weirdnerd »

Me likes them.
The Squirrels are up to something....

If you need a Sun Flame Generator Model 100-107 ( for Sunflame lanterns models 105, 106, 107 and 110) give me a PM, I have close to 80 of those, 15 bucks each.

Werner
Ridge Runner
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Ridge Runner »

I can't imagine your friend not being happy with how nice that turned out. That'll be good for the long haul now!
— L.J.
In the foothills of the Berkshires, Western Massachusetts

Wanted: Anything January 1925 from the U.S.
I love the smell of naphtha in the morning!
"Ain’t no need to watch where I’m goin’; just need to know where I’ve been" -Tow Mater
austin65uri
Super Colemanaholic

Post by austin65uri »

Nice job Timm, both project and presentation! A turd should never be left in the field. ;)
Bill.
On Hawaii's Big Island (20.02 N, 155.67 W)
ICCC#1601
"Small earth, big universe!"
Barrett
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Barrett »

Very nice Timm!
Andrew

Living and learning in NZ
Hoping to reach cognitive and emotional maturity before my children do.
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

Thanks, y'all!

This really was the fiddliest fettle I've done. It seemed like there was something new to challenge me around every corner.

I hope Mike likes "Noatak Nellie", and doesn't mind that it's going to cost more than the usual fettle. The 275 I parted out for this was in better shape than this one, and now I can't fettle and sell it. Anyone got a spare early 275 valve assembly sitting around?
It's priceless until someone puts a price on it.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Texan's last words: "Y'all--hold my beer--I wanta' try sumptin'."
Timm--Middle of nowhere, near the end of the road, Oregon.
Coldwaterpaddler
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Coldwaterpaddler »

That's pretty cool. Reminds me of an old ad where the guy pulls a rifle out of a river in Alaska with Leupold scope on it and it's still water proof.

Anyway, I think that 275 was actually the VERY RARE 275 LAMP, given that it had no collar and no globe! :-)
Stovie-Steve
"Don't let the weather run your life" - Steve
The Coleman Blues - #95
Whitegas Extraordinaire
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Whitegas Extraordinaire »

Gunhippie wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:45 pm Thanks, y'all!

This really was the fiddliest fettle I've done. It seemed like there was something new to challenge me around every corner.

I hope Mike likes "Noatak Nellie", and doesn't mind that it's going to cost more than the usual fettle. The 275 I parted out for this was in better shape than this one, and now I can't fettle and sell it. Anyone got a spare early 275 valve assembly sitting around?
Timm
I’ll take a look, I know I have a couple of rough 275.

Thank you!
Kevin

I may frighten easily!
My current shade is Coleman!!
To me a lamp without a shade is creepy!

ICCC # 1865

Whitegas Extraordinaire
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Whitegas Extraordinaire »

Gunhippie wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:45 pm Thanks, y'all!

Timm
This 6/79 in the middle is something I might tear down for parts.
PM me to discuss!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thank you!
Kevin

I may frighten easily!
My current shade is Coleman!!
To me a lamp without a shade is creepy!

ICCC # 1865

Kgam1020
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Kgam1020 »

Wow Timm well done! Your friend will be very happy with it now.
Ken.
Looking for Bday lanterns, 10/83, 11/84 and 10/2011.
Milspec Syndicate member #1020 
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #1020
Cajuncook1
Colemanaholic

Post by Cajuncook1 »

Timm, you always out do yourself 😎

Quality work buddy!
Cheers,

David

Aka

Cajuncook1

ICCC member 2053
Mil-Spec Ops #1203

:cf_beercheers:

A Cajun transplanted in Texas
BSAGuy
Super Colemanaholic

Post by BSAGuy »

Timm, Confirmation once again of your status as the premier lantern whisperer here. Only a fettler of your skill and resourcefulness could have pulled that off. Very well done.
- Courtenay
Be Prepared