Plumber's furnace with aux burner

Meet and greet members, general topics, show your stuff, recent/weekend finds.
CraterEddie

Plumber's furnace with aux burner

Post by CraterEddie »

I have never seen a plumber's furnace with an auxiliary burner before today. Ran across this at one of the semi-local junque shops today and just had to have it. Sorry about the crummy photos, I can take and post better if anyone is interested.

The knob is missing from the pump, as you can see. Small lettering on the burner support says Hempy Cooper MFG. I think.
brucesheehe
Super Colemanaholic
Title: ECCENTRIC BLOCKHEAD

Re: Plumber's furnace with aux burner

Post by brucesheehe »

They are beasts if you get them working.

Nevada Ed has a working model, Clayton Lambert.

I have a Cedarberg kerosene furnace.

Used to melt lead for old oakum and lead joints on sewer pipes. Also, to heat soldering irons.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/28y2xbESix84Pon1A
Bruce Sheehe, aka ECCENTRIC BLOCKHEAD
ICCC #889 - Connoisseur of Time, Friends, Leisure, & Coleman   Altoona, PA - The Mountain City - Near The Eastern USA Continental Divide
Cottage_hill_bill
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Cottage_hill_bill »

A few things about that say "Turner" to me. Can't see ow the second burner is useful in that position though. It has a pre-heat tray under the burner but it couldn't be used in that position. It looks like the style of burner used in an iron oven (a plumber's furnace designed to heat soldering irons, not an oven made of iron) but would need to be horizontal and have some kind of support for the irons.
Reese
North West Florida

Reese’s Law of Thermodynamics:  At temperatures below incandescence hot metal looks exactly like cold metal.

gusty60

Post by gusty60 »

Nice find. I have never seen that auxiliary burner before. I hope you get it working.
CraterEddie

Post by CraterEddie »

Thanks for the comments. Good point about the angle of the aux burner, maybe it swivels to the horizontal for use and back up for storage? Hopefully I’ll find out when I get to working on it. So far my googling hasn’t found any other examples like this, though my “google fu” can be weak at times. Any other comments, questions, or information are greatly appreciated.
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

I'm sure the second burner was added by a PO. As for swinging to the horizontal, unless that big nut next to the burner is a union, doing so would just cause a joint or two to leak. If it is a union, I think you'll find that unscrewing those just to make the burner easier to transport isn't very practical.
It's priceless until someone puts a price on it.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Texan's last words: "Y'all--hold my beer--I wanta' try sumptin'."
Timm--Middle of nowhere, near the end of the road, Oregon.
CraterEddie

Post by CraterEddie »

You are probably right GH. Oh well, it looks interesting anyway.
Gavercronos
Serious Colemanaholic
Title: Guy Who Does Stuff

Post by Gavercronos »

It looks like the kind of thing somebody would build using plumbing skills and supplies...
WillCat

Chautauqua County, New York
Slant Saver [svg] Frank MakerNew York State Route 5 marker

Wanted: GPA dated 5/89, 7D Mag-lite
My greatest fear is Flying Walruses with Tommy guns for Tusks.
Bill
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Bill »

Gavercronos wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:45 pm It looks like the kind of thing somebody would build using plumbing skills and supplies...
Actually, that extra burner looks like something you would have added, Will!
Bill Sheehy, aka Merlotrin P.M.      ICCC #1390      eBay handle: wtspe
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #24  /  Mil-Spec Ops, Bernz-o-Matic, and Sears Syndicates #58
Looking for birthday lanterns dated 4/33, 9/33 & 8/87
Cottage_hill_bill
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Cottage_hill_bill »

Here's a couple pictures of my Turner, with and without the windscreen. You can see the similarities in the in the bras spider that connects the uprights to the tank and in the shape of the burner and preheat pan to the aux burner on yours. My burner has Turner cast into the top.
1294521816-Turner_Lead_Pot_-_completed_019_opt.jpg
1294521714-Turner_Lead_Pot_-_completed_001_opt.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Reese
North West Florida

Reese’s Law of Thermodynamics:  At temperatures below incandescence hot metal looks exactly like cold metal.

CraterEddie

Post by CraterEddie »

Very nice! I see what you meant earlier and I must agree, there are features on yours and mine that look a lot alike.