Working on the reading lamp.

Meet and greet members, general topics, show your stuff, recent/weekend finds.
1hpycmpr
Super Colemanaholic

Working on the reading lamp.

Post by 1hpycmpr »

After seeing mica on Toby's and Chuck's floor lamps, I decided to put one on mine. I figured it would help make the lamp less top heavy. I removed the NS globe/holders and went to install the 351 chimney when I realized the shade was a 4-wire spider. Oops!
Then I remembered a piece I had made for holding a 351. It fit right under the center shade plate.

Next on the list was finding a way to mount this on the lamp.

It's made from repurposed standoffs and a piece I picked up somewhere in the past. I use this contraption to spin the R-55 generator and I needed to figure out a way to store it on the lamp.
I grabbed a stick, cut it down, drilled a hole in it and mounted it next to the onboard pump. I'm thinking a couple of leather straps to replace the ty wraps.

This lamp is a bit shorter than some of the others, coming in at 42" floor to knob. I wanted it to sit just over my shoulder while sitting in a chair.

I really like the capiz shell shade. The individual panels comes from a mollusk farmed in Indonesia and the Philippines. The meat of the mollusk is harvested and these shells are left over.

Thanks for looking!
Mark
*Stargazer*
Gasman64
Super Colemanaholic
Title: Gaseous Maximus

Re: Working on the reading lamp.

Post by Gasman64 »

Very good work on a nice lamp, Mark; that certainly is a unique shade.
Steve
ICCC #1012
SE Pennsylvania
1hpycmpr
Super Colemanaholic

Post by 1hpycmpr »

Gasman64 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:13 am Very good work on a nice lamp, Mark; that certainly is a unique shade.
Thanks, Steve. The shade is my favorite part of the lamp!
Mark
*Stargazer*
Hot_Diggity
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Hot_Diggity »

That is really short at 42" Mark, but the proportions look right with that shade. At 42" you get light and heat. ;)

Gotta have a spinner handy.
Chuck, 3/61, ICCC 1689
Milspec Syndicate #510
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0510
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #12
BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #510
Coleman Slant Saver #510
Frank Appreciation Syndicate Member #2
Tinker, Toy maker, Trash picker, Wickie, Lamp loon
1hpycmpr
Super Colemanaholic

Post by 1hpycmpr »

Hot_Diggity wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:26 am That is really short at 42" Mark, but the proportions look right with that shade. At 42" you get light and heat. ;)

Gotta have a spinner handy.
Yea, a bit chopped but the shade tops out at 51”. It does throw a little heat onto the shoulders. 😊
Mark
*Stargazer*
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

Beautiful lamp Mark! I need to find me one of those shades to keep up with the Joneses 😁 I like the idea of mounting the accessories to the lamp also 👍
Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
brucesheehe
Super Colemanaholic
Title: ECCENTRIC BLOCKHEAD

Post by brucesheehe »

WOW!
Bruce Sheehe, aka ECCENTRIC BLOCKHEAD
ICCC #889 - Connoisseur of Time, Friends, Leisure, & Coleman   Altoona, PA - The Mountain City - Near The Eastern USA Continental Divide
mksmth
Super Colemanaholic

Post by mksmth »

Looks great mark! I've found myself using my floor lamp a lot. Right over my shoulder sitting in my recliner is perfect.
Mike
ICCC #2030
Coleman quick lite crew #51
275 syndicate #0429
Love flathead Ford's, tropical plants and Coleman lantern.
1hpycmpr
Super Colemanaholic

Post by 1hpycmpr »

Tgarner01 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:15 pm Beautiful lamp Mark! I need to find me one of those shades to keep up with the Joneses 😁 I like the idea of mounting the accessories to the lamp also 👍
Thanks, Toby. I scored the shade at a thrift store. First time I used it, the heat desoldered three of the four spiders from the center ring and nearly sent the shade to the floor! Hence the fender washer kluge! 😄
brucesheehe wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:57 pmWOW!
Thanks, Bruce. The lamp was a hit at the neighbor’s deck jams last summer.
mksmth wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:12 pm Looks great mark! I've found myself using my floor lamp a lot. Right over my shoulder sitting in my recliner is perfect.
Thanks, Mike. I designed mine to be used while sitting in a lawn chair in camp. It is definitely more stable since removing the glass globe. I need to take it camping next year.
Mark
*Stargazer*
TwoCanoes
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by TwoCanoes »

That is a nice lamp! Makes me think of a cozy reading corner out in the shop.
Stewart in
Eastern Washington State
Highland Trekker

Post by Highland Trekker »

That lamp with that shade is perfect. I hope one of these days in a not-so-distant future I can come up with something and build one like that. It'd be kind of cool to take it up camping at the same time and have both of them running in the evening. I'm still looking for some of those in pieces you have on the spinner so I can make one oh, those would be nice to have. And you know I have plenty of extra standoffs.
Eyes Forever on the Goal,
Robert W.
1hpycmpr
Super Colemanaholic

Post by 1hpycmpr »

TwoCanoes wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:09 pm That is a nice lamp! Makes me think of a cozy reading corner out in the shop.
Thank you, Stewart. It was a fun project but it would have never come to fruition without the help of our resident machinist, Dean. He fabricated the long feed tube.
Mark
*Stargazer*
1hpycmpr
Super Colemanaholic

Post by 1hpycmpr »

Highland Trekker wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:35 pm That lamp with that shade is perfect. I hope one of these days in a not-so-distant future I can come up with something and build one like that. It'd be kind of cool to take it up camping at the same time and have both of them running in the evening. I'm still looking for some of those in pieces you have on the spinner so I can make one oh, those would be nice to have. And you know I have plenty of extra standoffs.
Ah yes, you do possess a plethora of standoffs, Robert! 😁
I’ll look around and see if I have something that might work for you. Yea, we can fire up the lamps in camp, stage an Coleman iron nearby and enjoy the weird looks we’d get from the folks driving by. 🤣
Mark
*Stargazer*
Highland Trekker

Post by Highland Trekker »

1hpycmpr wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:42 pm
Highland Trekker wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:35 pm That lamp with that shade is perfect. I hope one of these days in a not-so-distant future I can come up with something and build one like that. It'd be kind of cool to take it up camping at the same time and have both of them running in the evening. I'm still looking for some of those in pieces you have on the spinner so I can make one oh, those would be nice to have. And you know I have plenty of extra standoffs.
I’ll look around and see if I have something that might work for you. Yea, we can fire up the lamps in camp, stage an Coleman iron nearby and enjoy the weird looks we’d get from the folks driving by. 🤣
Oh so very true Mark they would be kind of looking weird at us. But it would be well worth it. All we would need is a couple real old trucks. Then we would be all set to be a throwback camp trip. :)
Eyes Forever on the Goal,
Robert W.
1hpycmpr
Super Colemanaholic

Post by 1hpycmpr »

Highland Trekker wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:51 pm
1hpycmpr wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:42 pm
Oh so very true Mark they would be kind of looking weird at us. But it would be well worth it. All we would need is a couple real old trucks. Then we would be all set to be a throwback camp trip. :)
👍
Mark
*Stargazer*
gusty60

Post by gusty60 »

cool lamp and spinner, Mark!
1hpycmpr
Super Colemanaholic

Post by 1hpycmpr »

gusty60 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:38 pm cool lamp and spinner, Mark!
Thanks, Gregg! Hope you folks are doing well!
Mark
*Stargazer*
Kgam1020
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Kgam1020 »

Nice job Mark! I think you lamp looks great!
Ken.
Looking for Bday lanterns, 10/83, 11/84 and 10/2011.
Milspec Syndicate member #1020 
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #1020
1hpycmpr
Super Colemanaholic

Post by 1hpycmpr »

Kgam1020 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:47 pm Nice job Mark! I think you lamp looks great!
Thanks, Ken!
Mark
*Stargazer*
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

That is a very nice and unique floor lamp, Mark.

Those shell shades were all over the place when I was younger--like '60s-'70s. You could always find them at an import emporium like Pier 51. They were kinda' kitchy at the time and now they're collectable.

There must be a lot of them still in attics and such.
It's priceless until someone puts a price on it.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Texan's last words: "Y'all--hold my beer--I wanta' try sumptin'."
Timm--Middle of nowhere, near the end of the road, Oregon.
1hpycmpr
Super Colemanaholic

Post by 1hpycmpr »

Gunhippie wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:50 pm That is a very nice and unique floor lamp, Mark.

Those shell shades were all over the place when I was younger--like '60s-'70s. You could always find them at an import emporium like Pier 51. They were kinda' kitchy at the time and now they're collectable.

There must be a lot of them still in attics and such.
Thanks, Timm. Yea, I remember these shades years ago but this one is one of the very few that I have come across in the last couple of years.
Mark
*Stargazer*