(OT) Feeding sourdough starter

Meet and greet members, general topics, show your stuff, recent/weekend finds.
Moses_Yoder
Colemanaholic

(OT) Feeding sourdough starter

Post by Moses_Yoder »

I uploaded a sourdough starter video to my Youtube channel this morning, looking forward to goodies over Thanksgiving weekend

Moses D Yoder/Mose/Mo/Nasti /Smokin' Mo
Sears Syndicate # 651 / 275 Appreciation Syndicate #159 / Slant Saver #22
Psalm 97:11 Light shines on the righteous and joy on the upright in heart.

Rustytank
Super Colemanaholic

Re: (OT) Feeding sourdough starter

Post by Rustytank »

I've been thinking of trying to make sourdough, thanks for this!!
Call me Rusty
Sunflame appreciation club #2
275 Appreciation Syndicate #0245
Looking for birthday lanterns 11/58, 3/68, 3/73, 6/85, 11/96, 6/97, 11/97, 12/00
HwyChef

Post by HwyChef »

Be careful, it's a slippery slope once you start. The quality of home made bread is just something special. Time, effort, and appreciation for the good stuff! Good luck, & Cheers!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cooking is the art of adjustment. – Jacques Pepin
b-day light of 01/69 sought after
Rubing
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Rubing »

Dang that looks good!
ICCC # 1402
Daryl22

Post by Daryl22 »

HwyChef wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:51 am Be careful, it's a slippery slope once you start. The quality of home made bread is just something special. Time, effort, and appreciation for the good stuff! Good luck, & Cheers!
Great looking loaves! Can't beat homemade sour dough bread. The stuff is very forgiving. When you get tired of the dutch oven loaf try making some Focaccia on a sheet pan. I found the cast iron corn bread skillets make perfect single serving size.
20200705_131043 (2).jpg
20200621_164011 (2).jpg
100_9809 (3).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Daryl sunny SoCal
No.3 KampKook appreciation #5
BenzOmatic Appreciation Club
1hpycmpr
Super Colemanaholic

Post by 1hpycmpr »

Our son is a chef in Australia and folks love the sourdough bread he bakes for the restaurant. At one time he was making 150+ loaves per week and selling them to other restaurants under a different business name! I once asked him for a recipe and he recommended the Tartine Bread book by Chad Robertson. He also recommended buying a good scale for measuring ingredients.
Mark
*Stargazer*
thezman
Colemanaholic

Post by thezman »

Yes, a scale is a must for me when baking. Consistency is crucial for repeatable results.

I tell people that cooking is an art and baking is a science.
Larry
Moses_Yoder
Colemanaholic

Post by Moses_Yoder »

thezman wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:18 pm Yes, a scale is a must for me when baking. Consistency is crucial for repeatable results.

I tell people that cooking is an art and baking is a science.
One of my room mates used to be a chef, I don't know if it was at McDonald's or Wendy's. He tried to discourage me from baking by telling me I had to measure all of the ingredients for baking very precisely and exactly and he was not capable of being precise enough. I just bake anyway, I do the best I can without wasting a bunch of time on it. It tastes good to me, much better than store bought, and if other people don't like it I can always throw it in the garbage. Yesterday he was talking about how difficult it was to make bread and how long you had to wait for it to rise etc., you could stand there and watch it and nothing would happen. I found out it was easy to make bread, I am used to working, and I do other things while the bread is rising I don't stand there and watch it.
Moses D Yoder/Mose/Mo/Nasti /Smokin' Mo
Sears Syndicate # 651 / 275 Appreciation Syndicate #159 / Slant Saver #22
Psalm 97:11 Light shines on the righteous and joy on the upright in heart.