Finally!

Meet and greet members, general topics, show your stuff, recent/weekend finds.
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Finally!

Post by Gunhippie »

This is the latest first snowfall I've seen in 31 years of living in Wallowa County!

At least I got my snow tires on before the white stuff hit. Nearly got into a head-on on the way to work this AM when another rig spun out making a turn in front of me. Better than coffee for taking the morning haze off.

Now to get to shoveling it. Not enough to fire up the snow blower yet, but maybe I should change the oil in it.
It's priceless until someone puts a price on it.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Texan's last words: "Y'all--hold my beer--I wanta' try sumptin'."
Timm--Middle of nowhere, near the end of the road, Oregon.
Gavercronos
Serious Colemanaholic
Title: Guy Who Does Stuff

Re: Finally!

Post by Gavercronos »

And here I thought you finally found your missing Tilley...
WillCat

Chautauqua County, New York
Slant Saver [svg] Frank MakerNew York State Route 5 marker

Wanted: GPA dated 5/89, 7D Mag-lite
My greatest fear is Flying Walruses with Tommy guns for Tusks.
Ridge Runner
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Ridge Runner »

Ha! Well, it looks nice.

It takes a few storms for (some) people to remember how to drive in it. Glad to hear you were unscathed.

We had a brief squall here the other day--no accumulation though, thankfully. I'm not quite ready for it...
Gavercronos wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:42 pm And here I thought you finally found your missing Tilley...
Exactly what I was thinking when I saw the title :)
— L.J.
In the foothills of the Berkshires, Western Massachusetts

Wanted: Anything January 1925 from the U.S.
I love the smell of naphtha in the morning!
"Ain’t no need to watch where I’m goin’; just need to know where I’ve been" -Tow Mater
Kgam1020
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Kgam1020 »

I hope the white stuff holds off a little longer for us lol.
Ken.
Looking for Bday lanterns, 10/83, 11/84 and 10/2011.
Milspec Syndicate member #1020 
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #1020
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

It turns out that the gal who nearly hit this AM is a co-worker! I told her it might be time for snow tires, and she replied that she didn't need them as she drove a Subby! I replied it sure looked to me like she needed them as she came spinning across the lanes towards me.

There's something about the mindset of 4wd/AWD drivers that eludes me. Many think that it even gives them better braking--even when I point out that ALL rigs have four-wheel braking.

Snow tires, folks, snow tires... and not all-seasons.

Now to break out the snow blower....
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Coldwaterpaddler
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Coldwaterpaddler »

I've never used snow tires on any of my 4x4s and never slid across lanes of a road, however, I also drive a bit slower than the maniac skiers flying by me on snow-packed mountain highways. Four wheel drive does zero when it comes to braking.
Stovie-Steve
"Don't let the weather run your life" - Steve
The Coleman Blues - #95
Majicwrench
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Majicwrench »

yeah I've been driving my front wheel drive Hyundai the last month or so and need to get back in the Subaru...with it's snow tires.

And got the snowblower in the shop cleaning up a few things on it.

It's snowed quite well up a couple hundred feet, we have some wet slush.....

The old 4 x4 did help with braking cause all four had to turn the same, you had a tough time just locking one end up.
Keith
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

I tried to start the two-year-old Ariens snow blower. No go. The fuel petcock was left open all season long and I'll bet the carb is completely gummed up. I removed the spark plug and it looks fine and gets a strong spark. Now my hands stink of soured RUG.

So it was the idiot stick for about a quarter-acre of concrete. While shoveling snow, I like to chant to myself: "This is how men my age die".

I guess I know what I'm doing this afternoon.
austin65uri
Super Colemanaholic

Post by austin65uri »

Hoping for some snow on Mauna Kea and a lot of needed rain down here at 2500 feet.
4X4 can be very useful in braking-- 4 low will let you drive down steep icy roads without ever touching the brakes.
Is the tent camp ready to go Timm?
Bill.
On Hawaii's Big Island (20.02 N, 155.67 W)
ICCC#1601
"Small earth, big universe!"
Mister_Wilson
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Mister_Wilson »

I change the oil and drain the gas from my 20 year old Ariens 10hp Tecumseh every year at the end of the season before it goes in the shed. We haven’t had enough snow to use it yet, but I brought it up to the garage to make sure all was good. Started to pull the rope slowly to find tdc and I’ll be darned if it didn’t fire right up. Hope that’s a good omen.
John
H.C. Lanterns dealer
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #2001 A Turd's Odyssey
Canadian Blues #028
Coleman Slant Saver #31
Looking for 6-56 and 6-58 Birthday lanterns.
There's been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about.
CaptainFantastic
Administrator
Title: Coleman Helvetica (CH)

Post by CaptainFantastic »

No snow here yet, we've usually had a dusting by now but nothing like some of you folks get.
Snow tyres (with a 'y') are not mandatory either, but if you have an insurance claim you won't get a penny. And the police might prosecute you for not having a vehicle fit for the conditions, even if it's not your fault I expect. So October/November is the time when all the garages are booked up for wheel/tyre swaps.
Ian - Looking for these dates 7/82, 7/92, 8/93, 9/03, 11/05, 5/17
ICCC #1480 | ICCC co-webmaster
Elbonian Support Staff for CCF
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

Mister_Wilson wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:03 pm I change the oil and drain the gas from my 20 year old Ariens 10hp Tecumseh every year at the end of the season before it goes in the shed. We haven’t had enough snow to use it yet, but I brought it up to the garage to make sure all was good. Started to pull the rope slowly to find tdc and I’ll be darned if it didn’t fire right up. Hope that’s a good omen.
I usually don't bother draining the fuel out of our various gas-powered tools, but I do make a practice of shutting off the fuel cock and letting the engine run 'til dry. I' haven't had any problems doing it this way and things tend to start right up the next season. Now I gotta go check the lawn mower, as the same person who last used the snow blower was the last to use the mower.
Rubing
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Rubing »

CaptainFantastic wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:19 pm No snow here yet, we've usually had a dusting by now but nothing like some of you folks get.
Snow tyres (with a 'y') are not mandatory either, but if you have an insurance claim you won't get a penny. And the police might prosecute you for not having a vehicle fit for the conditions, even if it's not your fault I expect. So October/November is the time when all the garages are booked up for wheel/tyre swaps.
In Michigan if you spin out or are involved in any kind of accident on a wet, snow or ice covered road you are automatically issued a ticket for failure to drive safely for road conditions.
ICCC # 1402
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

Winter traction tires aren't required in Oregon, either. But when you come to a snowy pass and the signs are up saying "Chains or Traction Tire Required, you'll be glad you can just cruise right on past all the sucker chaining up in a blizzard in your nice, warm steel can!

I got the damned show blower running, but now it only runs with the choke full-on. I drained the fuel tank of the nasty stuff (and put it in the Vanagon which will be fine with it in a full tank), drained the carb bowl and rinsed the carb bowl out with carb cleaner. I filled it back up with fresh fuel and two oz of Seafoam (I don't actually believe in the stuff, but what the heck) and I'm hoping it clears out the goo in the carb passages. Look like more snow tonight, so we'll see.