Coleman Model #1 refurbish results

Meet and greet members, general topics, show your stuff, recent/weekend finds.
seavandal

Coleman Model #1 refurbish results

Post by seavandal »

Howdy all. I had posted a thread in technical assistance regarding repairing my Model #1 stove tank. As luck would have it, I did manage to solder the leaking CV valve seat as well as re-seating and soldering the small pump tube that goes from the pump to the CV valve. It took two tries but I managed to seal up the tank and came out with a functional tank.
I pulled apart the generator, sort of, and found that the steel rods were in there pretty tight. I also manage to bugger the wire pricker a little putting the generator tip back on. I did get it all back together after squirting lots of carb cleaner into the generator and giving it a bunch of twists.
I decided to soak the metal parts of the stove in a citric acid bath. The solution was about 1 tablespoon of citric to a gallon of hot water. I soaked all parts overnight. With light cleaning with a brush and 0000 steel wool, almost all rust disappeared.
The thought was to scuff all parts that were originally painted black and paint it with Dupli Color semi gloss black. I pondered this for a while and came to the conclusion that it took this stove almost 100 years to get all this patina on it. Since I plan on using it, I dreaded the thought of scratching the new paint. Instead, a rag with WD-40 on it did the job. Camping with it can only add new patina!
I remembered telling some of my vintage trailer restoring friends, "You can sure restore the vintage right out of the trailer". Some guys pretty much use the trailer parts as templates and actually throw away the original trailer. So, what they have is a new trailer. I tend to restore trailers to look original. I do paint them and they look great.
But this old stove seemed to want me to leave it as is. It functions perfectly. Nothing leaks or misbehaves, even after an hour of letting it burn and make a pot of coffee.
I have another Model #1 that differs from this one. The tank and burner grates are heavier duty on that one than this one. The tank on this one is unpainted. Also, my other Model #1 has different burners. They look like they are from a Model 9. I noticed that the Model 9 burners cast a wider flame than the original Model #1 brass slitted burners. The original burners shoot the flame up the middle whereas the 9 casts it out to the side. On low, the 9 burners work well, but, on high, they cast the flame too wide and don't really do a good job heating. If you happen to have an extra set of original brass burners, I could use them! Neither of my stoves have the oven rack. I'm sure I'll end up making a couple of them. It is also missing the key. I have a socket on the end of a driver that is working for now. I might actually make a few new keys with a jewelry maker friend.
Anyway, I slowly put the stove back together, and adjusted everything to work smoothly and leak free. And, that it does! It's amazing how much longer projects take than you thought they would. This was an all day sucker, but was worth it. Here are a few before and after pictures of my "patina-ed" model #1. Chris

Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Re: Coleman Model #1 refurbish results

Post by Tgarner01 »

Very well done. Mine was missing lots of parts as well, but finally managed to find an original grate and make a homemade valve key, heat diffuser, and legs. I enjoyed seeing the inside of your tank and how the check valve system is built. Thanks for sharing 👍
Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
Nicholas - New England

Post by Nicholas - New England »

Man that’s an oldie. What year do you reckon it was made? Of course, well done and it’s very cool 👍🏻
Coleman Stoves: 502, 533, 414 PH
Lanterns: 220H, 228J, 229 PK1

WTB: Coleman 220B or 228B Lantern 10/1931

Also looking for:
Coleman 220/228 Lantern for dates 10/66, 11/73, 12/65
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

They're both beauties!

It seems to me that I've heard that an old skate key works for the valve key on these?
It's priceless until someone puts a price on it.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Texan's last words: "Y'all--hold my beer--I wanta' try sumptin'."
Timm--Middle of nowhere, near the end of the road, Oregon.
12057dave
Super Colemanaholic

Post by 12057dave »

Looking good Chris. Just when you thought you heard of all the uses for W-40😁.

Dave                                                       BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #1957

Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0678

Coldwaterpaddler
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Coldwaterpaddler »

The Model 1 is from 1923-24 (Take a look here: https://intlccc.net/information/modelye ... /by-model/ ). The burners with the solid tops where the flames come out along the edge are replacements on early Coleman stoves from what I've read and became the standard burner cap later on. The ones where the flames come out the top of the burner (slits) are the original type for Model 1 and early Model 2 stoves and probably early Model 9s as well. Based on a hardware store catalog page I've seen, I think that not all Model 1 and Model 2 stoves came with the oven rack, even though they have the oven enclosure. The ones without the rack used the oven as a warming area. Note, in the ad for the Model 2 below, it shows: With Windshield . . . With Warming Cabinet . . . and With Oven.

Kind cool that you've got not one, but two. Many people look forever to find the Model 1. Nice job getting them both going.
Model 2 Hardware page.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stovie-Steve
"Don't let the weather run your life" - Steve
The Coleman Blues - #95
paulbarrette
Super Colemanaholic

Post by paulbarrette »

Nice #1s! I wonder is there is a diagram with the inside of that tank. I used linseed oil on my #2 but i am a big fan of wd40😁
Pb
Paul Barrette
Coleman Quick lite crew #52
Milspec Syndicate #00085
seavandal

Post by seavandal »

Huh! That's interesting stovie Steve. I thought that the 1's and 2's that came with an oven, automatically had the folding rack. So both of my ovens may have just come with the warming cabinet. It seems like the rack was a cheap and easy addition in case someone wanted to make biscuits or something. I guess a couple of bucks was a big deal back then. I hope to find an original. I hsve a feeling I'll be making one soon.
By the way, here's a shot of the tank looking through from the pump end to the fill end. The fuel pick up is S shaped at the end of the tank.
I was surprised to find that the tank support was bolted and soldered instead of just soldering from the outside.

Chris
seavandal

Post by seavandal »

Cookin' with gas
Chris
Coldwaterpaddler
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Coldwaterpaddler »

It seems to be the way they did it. Mine looks the same way, https://sklcolorado.wordpress.com/2019/ ... storation/
Stovie-Steve
"Don't let the weather run your life" - Steve
The Coleman Blues - #95
seavandal

Post by seavandal »

Dang Steve! Serious repair! Excellent work right there. Tempting to try a dab of JB Weld but no joy. Great repair!
I have been so lucky to come across my two Model 1's. A new to me Coleman 2 is coming my way on Thursday. It's an early one. Here are a couple of pics. I hope I don't run into pin holes!

Chris
cat235
Colemanaholic

Post by cat235 »

Excellent work on that tank! I might have to send you mine. It leaks where the pickup tube comes out
Bill

ICCC #1515
Coleman Blues #128
Gold Bond Club #20
seavandal

Post by seavandal »

Thanks Bill. Scuff and clean that leaking area, flux, and solder it. You might just fix it!
Chris
StanDahl
Super Colemanaholic

Post by StanDahl »

Nice job on that one, I totally agree on leaving the patina! The #1's could be purchased with or without the oven since the oven piece slides into the lid and isn't an integral part of the stove. I'm sure that all that came with an oven also came with the folding grate, it's just that they got lost over the years, or froze up in a rusty pile and were tossed. The #2's all came with an oven and there was the #9 option without oven at that time.
John - ICCC Petty Bureaucrat #CMLXII...
paulbarrette
Super Colemanaholic

Post by paulbarrette »

seavandal wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:45 am Huh! That's interesting stovie Steve. I thought that the 1's and 2's that came with an oven, automatically had the folding rack. So both of my ovens may have just come with the warming cabinet. It seems like the rack was a cheap and easy addition in case someone wanted to make biscuits or something. I guess a couple of bucks was a big deal back then. I hope to find an original. I hsve a feeling I'll be making one soon.
By the way, here's a shot of the tank looking through from the pump end to the fill end. The fuel pick up is S shaped at the end of the tank.
I was surprised to find that the tank support was bolted and soldered instead of just soldering from the outside.

Thanks Chris. That is a good photo. I was wondering what the fuel pick up looked like. I thought it was interesting that they bolted the support too.

Pb
Paul Barrette
Milspec Syndicate #00085
paulbarrette
Super Colemanaholic

Post by paulbarrette »

Coldwaterpaddler wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:37 am It seems to be the way they did it. Mine looks the same way, https://sklcolorado.wordpress.com/2019/ ... storation/
That is a great link steve. I didn’t know how that cv worked. The pics were perfect.
Thanks
Pb
Paul Barrette
Milspec Syndicate #00085