New discovery…

Meet and greet members, general topics, show your stuff, recent/weekend finds.
Jeepstircrazy
Super Colemanaholic

New discovery…

Post by Jeepstircrazy »

I’ve been collecting GPA since the beginning of the pandemic. As I turn to this forum for entertainment and enlightenment ( more often than my wife appreciates) I’ve found many how-to tips just in the Just Bull section alone which have been immensely helpful as I am learning more about fettling these GPA. Because there are so many newcomers joining this forum we see questions over and over of the same kind. The tech board is great!… but I wish it had the Dewey Decimal system or something for easier navigation. Thanks to members here just in the last few days I was able to discover the maker and approximate date of manufacture of a lamp I picked up. So in a way this is a plea for some member or moderator with the skills and time to organize the tech board with all of the how-to postings… Terry Marsh’s efforts are an unbelievable gift to all of us . I might have eventually figured out from his site that I had found a Nulite 210 but the members online at the time I posted my question answered my question in minutes. I know… I’m long winded.. but to the point of this thought stream… having recently acquiring a 242B in the roughest shape of any nickel lantern I’ve picked up in the past. Trying to twist the fuel valve knob was nigh impossible. Trying not to destroy it with tools I dang near destroyed the skin I was gripping it with. The danger of damaging the knob and the likelihood that I would with a chunk of leather and pliers was obvious. Something made me turn to my socket drawer of the toolbox at hand. Maybe I could wrap it with a rag or something and wedge a socket on it. To my astonishment… the one inch socket fit like a glove. I don’t know if this is common knowledge and I’m guessing it was by design … so as to insure there was a soft contact to the Bakelite knob I grabbed a piece of shop towel and used it as a protective layer. I’m here to tell you … it saved a considerable amount of consternation and pain! A large chunk of how- to threads are hard to find when you find you ran into a problem that seemed to plague others but not yourself and then one day.. BINGO. Now where was that thread? Anyway… I hope this helps someone save a knob and I myself will try to store it in my failing memory banks! Check out the pictures…
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wayne signing off...

What's the lowest you'll take for this lantern?                                                

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

Proud to be an American! Let’s keep it the “ Land of the Free”!
Leviticus_Tomethreus
Super Colemanaholic

Re: New discovery…

Post by Leviticus_Tomethreus »

I yes I remember when you’d joined. I think was only here for about two weeks at that point. Anyway, the discovery you’ve made here is ground breaking. At least for me, this is life changing on my 242 world. Fantastic idea!
Levi - My friends don’t call me “Lantern/lampie Levi” for nothin’,if they did call me that.
Looking for bday lanterns 8/38, 8/41,
10/25, and 8/07
“Dream as if you’ll live forever, live as if you’ll die today.” -James Dean
The biggest lie I tell myself is ”I don’t need to write that down, I’ll remember it.”
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing everyday” -A.A. Milne
Now officially ICCC Member #1995
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

I'm surprised you didn't break the wheel off the stem using a wrench like that!

I've always been able to break a stuck valve stem loose by using a little Penetrating Oil and heat--to the point that the wheel turns easily by hand. Same goes for pricker levers.

Levi, the last thing you need is new ways to break things!
It's priceless until someone puts a price on it.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Texan's last words: "Y'all--hold my beer--I wanta' try sumptin'."
Timm--Middle of nowhere, near the end of the road, Oregon.
Leviticus_Tomethreus
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Leviticus_Tomethreus »

Gunhippie wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:02 pm I'm surprised you didn't break the wheel off the stem using a wrench like that!

I've always been able to break a stuck valve stem loose by using a little Penetrating Oil and heat--to the point that the wheel turns easily by hand. Same goes for pricker levers.

Well that’s a shame… I discover new ways everyday!
Levi - My friends don’t call me “Lantern/lampie Levi” for nothin’,if they did call me that.
Looking for bday lanterns 8/38, 8/41,
10/25, and 8/07
“Dream as if you’ll live forever, live as if you’ll die today.” -James Dean
The biggest lie I tell myself is ”I don’t need to write that down, I’ll remember it.”
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing everyday” -A.A. Milne
Now officially ICCC Member #1995
Whitegas Extraordinaire
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Whitegas Extraordinaire »

Gunhippie wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:02 pm I'm surprised you didn't break the wheel off the stem using a wrench like that!

I've broken stems doing this. That's my expertise!
Thank you!
Kevin

(The Dude from Rottenchester)

To me a lamp without a shade is creepy!

After awhile, you can work on points for style!

ICCC # 1865
rob_pontius
Super Colemanaholic

Post by rob_pontius »

Heat on the valve and pricker area are definitely your friend here. Sockets, not so much. It's usually old, gummed up fuel that locks that stuff up tight. Heat softens the hardened fuel and allows you to turn the wheel and pricker assembly easily. Run the heat right up the generator also. This method will definitely save some valve shafts in the future. Brute force isn't always the right way.
Rob
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

Wayne I'm glad you got it loose without damage, for future reference, loosen the gland nut and then pinpoint heat the gland nut... Then you can easily loosen the valve stem... Unless!! Someone left it all the way open and it froze up... Yes I have run into this.

I wish we had a Coleman model reference library like over at the CPL site... I find it better than going to Marshes site as there are typically more breakdown photos to be seen instead of full images...
Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
Jeepstircrazy
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Jeepstircrazy »

Tgarner01 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:36 pm Wayne I'm glad you got it loose without damage, for future reference, loosen the gland nut and then pinpoint heat the gland nut... Then you can easily loosen the valve stem... Unless!! Someone left it all the way open and it froze up... Yes I have run into this.

I wish we had a Coleman model reference library like over at the CPL site... I find it better than going to Marshes site as there are typically more breakdown photos to be seen instead of full images...
Levi, the pinpoint heat is what I finally did use to loosen it up...but boy did I crank that wheel round and round with the sleeve nut in the vice (not too tight though) Guess I got lucky and smart at the same and th 1939 shaft held up! I was using a half inch drive!!! Toby,Next time I'm just going to PM you with any questions I have...I was already thinking...What would Toby do? ;)
Wayne signing off...

Chucker

Post by Chucker »

Now this is experimentation worth reading about. Great experiment Wayne.

And as had been said, might be a bit much in some cases, ha.
Chuck
"...“Those that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.” Ben Franklin"

Eye-SEE-C-C Member #1333 -- MilSpecOps #003
"Michigan - from the Ojibwa word “meicigama,” meaning “great water.”
sleebus
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by sleebus »

Jeepstircrazy wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:28 pm I was using a half inch drive!!!
:shock:

And a 2' breaker bar lol? Man, surprised it survived. Crazy how good that 1" socket fits though. I'll definitely keep this in mind for future use, those knobs can be rough on your hand meat...although that does function as a built-in torque limiter. ;)
Michael - ICCC#2163
Check out my channel at GasUnderPressure or chat on the Coleman Discord
Jeepstircrazy
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Jeepstircrazy »

[/quote]

:shock:

...although that does function as a built-in torque converter... :D
[/quote]

As does age! You just wait! My torque is definitely (or defiantly :lol: ) converting...albeit not in a good way.
Wayne signing off...

MYN927
Super Colemanaholic

Post by MYN927 »

I'd loosen out the captive gland nut on the valve stem first and then soak in some penetrating oil before twisting the knob any harder than normal.
Its a great discovery than a one-inch socket wrench fits in nicely. However, I wouldn't be too keen to use that as a tool for twisting the knob. It might just produce too much mechanical advantage than desired.
sleebus
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by sleebus »

MYN927 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:25 pm However, I wouldn't be too keen to use that as a tool for twisting the knob. It might just produce too much mechanical advantage than desired.
I'd put the socket on, and then grip that to save my hand. Would only use a wrench as last resort.
Michael - ICCC#2163
Jeepstircrazy
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Jeepstircrazy »

sleebus wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:11 pm
MYN927 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:25 pm However, I wouldn't be too keen to use that as a tool for twisting the knob. It might just produce too much mechanical advantage than desired.
I'd put the socket on, and then grip that to save my hand. Would only use a wrench as last resort.
That’s precisely what I did Then added some pinpoint heat an once it was slightly easier I put on the ratchet so I could spin it. Was tempted to grab a 3/8 inch drive, a one inch 12 point socket and short extension, chuck it in the hand drill and really give it a few thousand spins! But alas it was working just fine with the half inch drive by then and would be a waste of time to assemble the drill etc… I’m always searching for an easier alternative. I just thought that it couldn’t be an accident that the knobs are machined to be the male counterpart to a female one inch , 12 point socket. Coincidence? I don’t think sooo…
Wayne signing off...

Lines

Post by Lines »

Yeah, a fit that close couldn't be an accident, could it?
Robert
Looking for 10/59 lantern or fount for rebuilder.
Prefer a 228E, but not that set on it.
paulbarrette
Super Colemanaholic

Post by paulbarrette »

Wayne
That is an interesting solution. I never thought of that. I would be afraid to break it. I usually use penetrating oil, put the nut in the bench vise, but i would put it in the ultra sonic if it is stick badly. Maybe with pinesol.

Pb
Paul Barrette
Coleman Quick lite crew #52
Milspec Syndicate #00085
Jeepstircrazy
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Jeepstircrazy »

Paul! Send me an ultrasonic! Seriously, that is on my wish list… but lanterns and lamps keep taking my money! I was wondering what sound waves from a speaker ( vibrations) strapped to a container of solution would do? And what music would be best for blasting it!
Wayne signing off...

Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

Ultrasonic music!

Seriously, the way an ultrasonic cleaner works is to produce waves trying to propagate in water faster than the speed of sound in water. This produces tiny bubbles on surfaces that collapse, releasing a great deal of energy right where you want it (scrubbing bubbles). The bubbles are, for the most part, too small to see, but when you see the way a cloud of dirt and grunge is thrown off into the cleaning solution when you turn the device on, you'll be amazed.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Duke4857

Post by Duke4857 »

Looks to me like it needs to be a twelve point socket also. Some of the cheaper tools are only 6 points.
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

Duke4857 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:42 pm Looks to me like it needs to be a twelve point socket also. Some of the cheaper tools are only 6 points.
Some of the less likely to round off a nut sockets and end wrenches are six-point!
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

>>Paul! Send me an ultrasonic! Seriously, that is on my wish list…

Wayne, check out your local Goodwill on occasion. I've gotten a couple myself on different occasions. Well, I got the second one because I didn't see that there was a pinhole in the tub in the first one and solution drained into the electronics. :( I think I paid $4 and $8 for them. The ones I found there are jewelry cleaners and they're especially good for cleaning generators and other small parts.

I haven't seen one in a while, but don't go to that area very often. However, when I do, I always check for hidden goodies. I'd like to find one now for another forum member.
-Jim

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?

Invest now, or you'll miss your chance to lose everything!
paulbarrette
Super Colemanaholic

Post by paulbarrette »

+1 on the jewelry cleaner. Or wait for an Amazon sale and grab one that will hold all the parts (except vent, globe, fount).

Pb
Paul Barrette
Milspec Syndicate #00085
Jeepstircrazy
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Jeepstircrazy »

Gunhippie wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:54 pm
Duke4857 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:42 pm Looks to me like it needs to be a twelve point socket also. Some of the cheaper tools are only 6 points.
Some of the less likely to round off a nut sockets and end wrenches are six-point!
For sure Timm but if you check out that picture... the valve handle is a 12 point and a 6 wouldn't fit on it...
Wayne signing off...

Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

Jeepstircrazy wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:24 am
Gunhippie wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:54 pm
For sure Timm but if you check out that picture... the valve handle is a 12 point and a 6 wouldn't fit on it...
Got that. Just sayin', six-points ain't because you're cheap. Show me a twelve-point, or worse--splined--impact socket. Wonder why they don't exist?
Deanofid

Post by Deanofid »

That's a pretty neat discovery, that a socket will fit so well on a valve knob. It would be easier on your hands even just turning the socket by itself, without a ratchet.
Thanks for the tip!

Wayne, I have a nice small sonic cleaner here if you want it. I'd be happy to send it your way at no cost. Just send me a PM with your address and I'll get it in the mail.

Dean
Dean -Midnight Kerosene Ritualist--Deans Machine:  www.deansmachine.com  
ICCC #1220.   275 commiseration #0018.
"In Him was life, and His life was the Light of men."  John 1:4
Jeepstircrazy
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Jeepstircrazy »

Thanks Dean ! Will do!
Wayne signing off...

Jayhawksr
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Jayhawksr »

Whitegas Extraordinaire wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:11 pm

I've broken stems doing this. That's my expertise!
I broke the stem on my first lantern forcing with my hand. I guess it would be faster to break it with a tool. :-)
Richard (KC native and KU Alumni living in Maryland)
Rock Chalk, Jayhawk. Go KU!
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #1983.  Coleman Quick-lite Crew #36.
Mil Spec Syndicate #1983
Eagle Scout Class of '83
Deanofid

Post by Deanofid »

It's on the way, Wayne. Hope you like it. It's kinda fun to see how they work bubbling off crud and turning out a much cleaner part. They don't polish parts, but get the crud off pretty well.
Have a great weekend!
sleebus
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by sleebus »

Well, that 1" socket idea was so cool I had to try it out...but I didn't have any 1" sockets. Time to make one!

Fire up the CAD

Into the slicer...

Get that printer going...

First attempt with a lot of crazy support material

Here's to hoping the socket breaks before the wheel! Probably just going to use it for hand turning anyway. Thanks for the idea, Wayne!
Michael - ICCC#2163
Lines

Post by Lines »

COOL
Robert
Looking for 10/59 lantern or fount for rebuilder.
Prefer a 228E, but not that set on it.
Deanofid

Post by Deanofid »

I'm a machinist. Fairly good at it, too, but to me this kind of stuff seems like MAGIC! Very cool, Sleebus, (and what the heck is your real first name. I can't hardly stand writing some thing like "Sleebus" and still sleep at night. Give us a name, genius! First name is all I'm asking for so we can be friendly to one another.
I don't even have a simple CNC program to run any of my machines, but I see things like this and again, it looks like magic!
Thank you for sharing this with us! Fantastic.
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

C'mon Dean, you can do it in forty-seven easy steps, involving only a few custom-made broaches.
paulbarrette
Super Colemanaholic

Post by paulbarrette »

Nice job sleebus. That is really cool.

Pb
Paul Barrette
Milspec Syndicate #00085
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

Hey, Sleeb (and yes, a name would be handy)--a while back, someone else here was 3-D printing wheels for the hex-nut caps on the earlier Quicklites. Those would be right handy if you can pull it off.
StanDahl
Super Colemanaholic

Post by StanDahl »

sleebus wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:43 pm Well, that 1" socket idea was so cool I had to try it out...but I didn't have any 1" sockets. Time to make one!
Something like that would be very handy for tucking into a 530 stove case - those valve wheels get pretty hot!
John - ICCC Petty Bureaucrat #CMLXII...
Hot_Diggity
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Hot_Diggity »

@sleebus, looking at the "magic" socket you made I had to wonder if you could make screw caps horseradish and Coleman alcohol torch bottles. The bottles are available, but as Steve and I have found, the caps are not. A cap with a more ergonomic feel would be an extra benefit. Maybe something recognizable, like a giant Coleman fiber valve wheel with with a straight line grooved edge and an arrow and the latter "A " for Alcohol.

The precious old original steel caps could be preserved, and a tight fitting ergonomic cap with a modern seal could see regular use on torch light lamps.

I'd be happy to gift you a vintage horseradish bottle if it would help with the making of a "magic" cap.
Chuck, 3/61, ICCC 1689
Milspec Syndicate #510
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0510
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #12
BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #510
Coleman Slant Saver #510
Frank Appreciation Syndicate Member #2
Tinker, Toy maker, Trash picker, Wickie, Lamp loon
Jeepstircrazy
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Jeepstircrazy »

I like tha way this thread unwound and I think I’d like a 3D one inch socket Sleebus’!
I’d bet you could sell something like that with more comfort built in on the classifieds here and at gatherings. The plastic would be less likely to hurt the handle and less likely to hurt the hand. One percent of sales will work for me!😀 Just think eBay and look at all the Asian sales you could have!
Wayne signing off...

sleebus
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by sleebus »

Deanofid wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:32 pm I'm a machinist. Fairly good at it, too, but to me this kind of stuff seems like MAGIC! Very cool, Sleebus, (and what the heck is your real first name. I can't hardly stand writing some thing like "Sleebus" and still sleep at night. Give us a name, genius! First name is all I'm asking for so we can be friendly to one another.
I don't even have a simple CNC program to run any of my machines, but I see things like this and again, it looks like magic!
Thank you for sharing this with us! Fantastic.
Thanks, Dean. Coming from you, that means a lot. I've done some manual machining in the past and definitely takes some skill. With 3d printing, all the setup work is in calibrating the machine. Once that's done, it does what you tell it to do, and usually it turns out pretty good. Some prints like this are challenging because the middle part of the socket has to print with supports under it and it takes some doing to make all that come out right.
Gunhippie wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:52 am Hey, Sleeb (and yes, a name would be handy)--a while back, someone else here was 3-D printing wheels for the hex-nut caps on the earlier Quicklites. Those would be right handy if you can pull it off.
Yep, i'm pretty sure that wouldn't be a problem at all to make. Just need some dimensions and I can whip one up. In fact, I may have a busted QL valve here I can experiment on.
StanDahl wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:21 am Something like that would be very handy for tucking into a 530 stove case - those valve wheels get pretty hot!
Same problem with my model 16 heater...tends to be more of a branding iron than a knob after a few hours of running! May do some adjustment to the model and replace the 1/4" drive socket with some wings to turn instead. Hmmm.
Hot_Diggity wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:28 pm @sleebus, looking at the "magic" socket you made I had to wonder if you could make screw caps horseradish and Coleman alcohol torch bottles. The bottles are available, but as Steve and I have found, the caps are not. A cap with a more ergonomic feel would be an extra benefit. Maybe something recognizable, like a giant Coleman fiber valve wheel with with a straight line grooved edge and an arrow and the latter "A " for Alcohol.

The precious old original steel caps could be preserved, and a tight fitting ergonomic cap with a modern seal could see regular use on torch light lamps.

I'd be happy to gift you a vintage horseradish bottle if it would help with the making of a "magic" cap.
Sure I can do that. Contact me via DM and let's work something out. Some pics of what you got in mind would be super helpful.
Jeepstircrazy wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:18 pm I like tha way this thread unwound and I think I’d like a 3D one inch socket Sleebus’!
I’d bet you could sell something like that with more comfort built in on the classifieds here and at gatherings. The plastic would be less likely to hurt the handle and less likely to hurt the hand. One percent of sales will work for me!😀 Just think eBay and look at all the Asian sales you could have!
Hey man, sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread! :shock: Sure i'll send ya a socket. I think i'm going to do a redesign and put some wings on it so it's easier to hand turn. DM me your address and I'll send you one. ;)
Michael - ICCC#2163
Jeepstircrazy
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Jeepstircrazy »

You didn't hijack it! You embellished it! And "the way this thread unwound" was an intended pun. I seriously do think there is a market for any thing that makes life easier for those of us twisting these things all of the time. I've got more than one lantern with a stiff knob. I'd rather it be a little stiff than a little too loose. No sweat!
Wayne signing off...