More fun than driving nails with my forehead--Oregon DMV

Meet and greet members, general topics, show your stuff, recent/weekend finds.
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

More fun than driving nails with my forehead--Oregon DMV

Post by Gunhippie »

[rant]

I had to renew the registration on the Vanagon in May of last year. Even 'though we were still in the grips of lock-down, it was a fast and fairly pleasant (aside from the cost) experience. Maybe 15 minutes from the time I walked in the door. We've always had the best DMV in Oregon here in Enterprise.

Yesterday, I went in to transfer the title of my new (to me) Toyota Corolla. The place was crammed full--something I'd never seen before. There was a big sign to the effect that if I needed to see someone in this lifetime, I'd need an appointment.

So today I called the number given on the sign. The phone was answered by one of those "How may I help you?" chatbots. Every other word dropped out, so I had to pretty much guess what was said (the first question was actually "How ____ I ____ help____"). After fighting through that nightmare, all I got was a text giving me a website to go to to make an appointment. Why couldn't they just have put that on the damned sign? 10 minutes wasted.

I go to the website and waste another fifteen minutes making my appointment--for the 10th of this month.

Man, they've certainly figured out how to make a simple, pleasant experience into an excuse to drink heavily!

[/rant]
Last edited by Gunhippie on Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's priceless until someone puts a price on it.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Texan's last words: "Y'all--hold my beer--I wanta' try sumptin'."
Timm--Middle of nowhere, near the end of the road, Oregon.
1hpycmpr
Super Colemanaholic

Re: More fun than driving nails with my forehead--Oregon DMV

Post by 1hpycmpr »

Yea, it’s gotten a bit crazy Timm. I hope you find a place to have that drink! 🤔 😁
Mark
*Stargazer*
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

The new hours really suck, too. Designed to be sure you miss some work time.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Murff
Administrator
Title: New ICCC Board President

Post by Murff »

Timm, sorry you had to go through goverment hell for a simple matter. Reminds me of what's happening here now!

Wanna have fun? Have a landline (Wife wants to keep it) with CenturyLink (Now Lumen) and try to get it fixed.

Chatbot that asks what the problem is and you tell it and then it states replies incorrectly. It also states at any time, I can request a human rep. Did that several times and it replies. "Okay, but let me get some more information." After 20 more questions, that get answers, it FINALLY connects me to a human who then proceeds to as me the same questions the Chatbot asked.

I really try to be nice to these people but this poor woman caught my hell. For, you see, this was the 2nd time to request the line be repaired. I talked to a human a 10 days ago who stated the line would be repaired LAST Wednesday. To confirm the appointment, I went to the phone company's website and entered the info and was told NO Trouble Ticket Found and repair had been made. Wanna bet?

This has happened twice in the last year and the line has been "repaired" four times now. So, when Mr. Repair Guy arrives tomorrow, I will let him "fix" the bloody line for the last time. One of their repair guys I spoe to last year stated that the phone lines in my neighborhood were from the 1940s. I asked if they did any maintenance to anything with copper wires and he sadly shook his head.

The poor service rep that I reamed, toward the end of our conversation, told me that Lumen had recently wired our neighborhood with fiber optic and woul I be interested in high speed internet from them. I, rather snidely, stated it would be difficult for me to purchase ANY service they offered after this! She understood.

After that, I think we are going to get a new landline from the cable company that will save us $40.00 per month.

Murff
Name: Murff   ICCC Member #726 
Coleman Blue's 243's #002   Ebay Handle: Happy-campers2 
EX-ICCC Newsletter Editor & Full time Coleman Addiction Enabler
Part-time Idito and Hater of Turd 275s
Current ICCC Board President
REJ2
Super Colemanaholic

Post by REJ2 »

Murff wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:10 pm Timm, sorry you had to go through goverment hell for a simple matter. Reminds me of what's happening here now!

Wanna have fun? Have a landline (Wife wants to keep it) with CenturyLink (Now Lumen) and try to get it fixed.

Murff
Century Link, what a joke. It’s still here in my part of Kansas, years ago it was called United Telephone, around here anyway. Way back in the 70’s they sent a big wig from here up to Washington state, Yakima. I remember because I dated one of his daughters till they moved. We got rid of Century Link completely here at our house a few months ago.
Bob   
Never, ever, leave behind a $5 lamp
ICCC #1574
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

If you have to go through menu options that are getting you nowhere, hit the zero for a response every time. Most likely, if it's supported, you'll be transferred to a human fairly promptly. If not directly supported, by repeatedly entering zero after each question, there's a fair chance the stupid menu system will give up and connect you to a person.
-Jim

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?

Invest now, or you'll miss your chance to lose everything!
outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

Tim do you have AAA? in CA the larger AAA offices have (drum roll) a DMV satellite office!

We were in and out in 10 min transferring my moms car to us a couple months ago...

You cannot GET an appointment in the reg DMV offices and meet their "Must be transferred within 10 days of sale" mantra...

And good luck getting a drivers test...

Coleman Blue's 243's #341 - 275 Appreciation Syndicate member 0242
FAS #001 Confusing Future Generations of Collectors, One Lantern at a Time!
KK No. 3 Appreciation Klub #1

Loganeffecto
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Loganeffecto »

Or DMV had a 2-3 MONTH appointment wait. Until recently 🤦‍♂️
Logan, formerly known as Fester. (It means to rot)
Jeepstircrazy
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Jeepstircrazy »

My wife has figured out than whenever they ask a question, answer “representative “. Almost every single time it instantly gets a human on the line. Try it!
I don’t know what it’s like today but Florida had the longest lines at the DMV I’d ever seen anywhere. Moving to New York was interesting years ago because this being the third largest county east of the Mississippi there was only one DMV in the whole county. There were bars on the widows at each (4) windows. I quickly realized why after being told ,”You need to do this first and come back.” It was screwy, stupid, unnecessary BS and they seemed to enjoy doing it to everyone. The travel distance back and forth several times to get things the way they wanted it was ridiculous. When I first saw the bars I thought, “What’s this all about?” Didn’t take long to witness and be subjected to rude unnecessary BS. Fortunately they built satellite offices and now you can do almost all online. The state vehicle inspection is what sucks. Code readers are so vague that you end up spending a fortune replacing parts till the bloody “ check engine “ light goes off . I hate New York!🍎
Wayne signing off...

What's the lowest you'll take for this lantern?                                                

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

Proud to be an American! Let’s keep it the “ Land of the Free”!
Gasman64
Super Colemanaholic
Title: Gaseous Maximus

Post by Gasman64 »

Where I work, there are several company cars; one is used by security. The company cars don't get fixed unless there's a request through some third-party company, which in turn communicates with corporate, THEN, they approve a local garage in the area to do the work. But WAIT A MINUTE!!! We have a fully equipped truck garage which services our fleet of semi trucks AND trailers, but they may not do oil changes and other routine maintenance on the company cars...flat tire? Too bad, it can't be changed by the truck garage. What group of idiots thought that this is a good way to run things, such inconvenience and fuss and bother?
This is but one example; I have neither the time, nor desire, to write more. I'm home from work now and should be relaxing, not getting uptight all over again.
(The above situation I could care less about; just something to laugh at. However, the way "management" handles people nowadays is at best, mis-management. Some of the people in HR apparently think they're dealing with livestock, not human beings. I need to find a smaller employer, I think.)
Last edited by Gasman64 on Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
SE Pennsylvania
austin65uri
Super Colemanaholic

Post by austin65uri »

My sympathies. We are doomed unless advanced AI can save us. :)
Bill.
On Hawaii's Big Island (20.02 N, 155.67 W)
ICCC#1601
"Small earth, big universe!"
Moses_Yoder
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Moses_Yoder »

I seriously hate dealing with that kind of stuff, you have my sympathies.
Moses D Yoder/Mose/Mo/Nasti /Smokin' Mo
Sears Syndicate # 651 / 275 Appreciation Syndicate #159 / Slant Saver #22
Psalm 97:11 Light shines on the righteous and joy on the upright in heart.

Newfie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Newfie »

Our DMV finally got with the times.

Our insurance and registration is public (no private insurance companies) but there are tons of companies contracted to handle the process. You could go to any outlet to get it completed.

Covid forced a lot of those places to work remotely so they transitioned to an over-the-phone renewal. After about a year the province finally switched to online renewal. If you don't need to change your insurance coverage it's a 10 minute online renewal process. Print your new papers at home and you're done. They don't even issue new tags/decals anymore.

Most police departments here in BC have automatic license plate scanners. If you didn't renew a cop behind you gets a notification on their in-vehicle laptop and you get pulled over.
Shane Looking for the following Canadian birthday lanterns or lamps: 2-32, 6-34,
kb0hae
Colemanaholic

Post by kb0hae »

Here in Iowa we can renew registration (yearly) online and they mail you the new sticker for your rear plate. Unfortunately, my eye doctor has to fill out a form yearly for me to keep my drivers license, and I need an appointment at the Drivers License station just to turn in that form. Usually appointments are available only on their website, and usually 3-4 weeks from when you log in if you are lucky!
This post is created on a refurbished computer and is made entirely from recycled electrons!
Time to invent a time machine so I can go back to the 80s!
Martin
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

I believe that here in Oregon, we, too, can re-register our rigs online. However, if you've ever dealt with a State Of Oregon website, you'd shy away from that idea. Oracle software that belongs in the '80s sucks.

Anyhow, I'm registering and transferring a rig from out of state, so it needs a physical inspection of various things, like the VIN. An office visit is the only way to get that done.

Then, I get to go back to my insurer and get the new plate #s on my policy and pay up for a renewal, which, it seems to me, could have been done last week while I was in the office getting the new rig on my insurance, a day before I got the renewal notice.

Isn't the computer age so much easier?