Wickie Wednesday Aladdin caboose lamp

Meet and greet members, general topics, show your stuff, recent/weekend finds.
Hot_Diggity
Super Colemanaholic

Wickie Wednesday Aladdin caboose lamp

Post by Hot_Diggity »

This is only my second venture beyond the Model B. (first was the miserable Model 23) I felt like the Model C had some interesting history since it was made on a new design with new tooling and on a tight schedule. This one is a steel Brazilian model C in a caboose mount. I have a brass Nashville Model C on the way, and I'm still holding my breath waiting on the chimney and shade to arrive from California in a seperate box for this one.

Aladdin caboose lamp.jpg

Since my house isn't getting shaken around like a caboose it'll do fine mounted to a plaque on the wall. There are some interesting differences between the Nashville and Brazil models besides the material they're made of. I'll have to see how well they burn.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chuck, 3/61, ICCC 1689
Milspec Syndicate #510
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0510
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #12
BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #510
Coleman Slant Saver #510
Frank Appreciation Syndicate Member #2
Tinker, Toy maker, Trash picker, Wickie, Lamp loon
Leviticus_Tomethreus
Super Colemanaholic

Re: Wickie Wednesday Aladdin caboose lamp

Post by Leviticus_Tomethreus »

Neato! I think my caboose lamp is a 23 I think. Absolute worthless pos in my opinion. I could never get it to run right. Best part about it was the original parchment shade haha
Levi - My friends don’t call me “Lantern/lampie Levi” for nothin’,if they did call me that.
Looking for bday lanterns 8/38, 8/41,
10/25, and 8/07
“Dream as if you’ll live forever, live as if you’ll die today.” -James Dean
The biggest lie I tell myself is ”I don’t need to write that down, I’ll remember it.”
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing everyday” -A.A. Milne
Now officially ICCC Member #1995
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

Very nice. I have one in aluminum with a Model B burner. It's going to get me in trouble, I just know it. The Model B burner on mine burns so reliably and consistently that I'll assume the same when I start using my Model 23's. That's when I'll be in trouble, thinking I can turn away from them while running like I can with the Model B.
-Jim

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?

Invest now, or you'll miss your chance to lose everything!
Hot_Diggity
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Hot_Diggity »

I'm happy to see that others share my opinion of the Model 23. I may never be able to sell them to anybody here that's been paying attention, and swapping nickel burners onto brass bases bothers me somehow. Maybe I can get somebody to sell them to some tourists for me. Just so they can never find their way back to me. ;)
Chuck, 3/61, ICCC 1689
Milspec Syndicate #510
Coleman Slant Saver #510
salukispeed
Super Colemanaholic

Post by salukispeed »

I have model"B" and "C" and the B has been great and the "C" has tried to run away twice over the years. So I do not push the brightness level too much. But I still use them in the winter evening for Kicks. I would love to find a real deal Parchment shade. Both now use Mica shades from Menards.
Bob
ICCC 1868
Perfection appreciation #10
Milspec 65252
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

>>I'm happy to see that others share my opinion of the Model 23.

In all fairness, I haven't yet used my Aladdin's with Model 23 burners, but the Model B burner has been so reliable, I'm afraid I will be complacent when I do use the 23's. I almost had a runaway flame once with the Model B, but can't recall what I did to facilitate it. I never blamed it on the burner. I do try to learn from other's mistakes, so if/when I do run my Model 23's, I will try to remember to keep a close watch.

If I were looking for an Aladdin and didn't have one, I would not turn my nose up at one because of the burner. They're still very beautiful lamps, even if they do need to be baby sat while running. After learning from others, I still got my hands on a couple of Aladdin's with the Model 23 burners because of how attractive the lamps are. OK, also because I found excellent deals on them.
-Jim

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?

Invest now, or you'll miss your chance to lose everything!
Quick_Cal
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Quick_Cal »

Here's my model B caboose lamp in a hanger I found. It fit's so I use it,,,lol.

Some call me   "The Wrangler''

Perfection Heater Collectors #1 Gold Bond Collector #19
Quick Lite Crew #39 Slant Saver #64
Canadian Blues #58 Coleman 275 #1979
Sears Collector #100
Kgam1020
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Kgam1020 »

That is a nice lamp, Chuck!
Ken.
Looking for Bday lanterns, 10/83, 11/84 and 10/2011.
Milspec Syndicate member #1020
The Coleman Blues 243 #1020 
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #1020
Hot_Diggity
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Hot_Diggity »

Kgam1020 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:20 pm That is a nice lamp, Chuck!
Thanks. I'm most impressed with the caboose mount. The vertical adjustment is made with the two wing nuts to tension the springs. The horizontal movement is damped by the dark colored flat springs on either arm of the mount. I can imagine that with a fount full of kerosene and a train making a jerky start or stop, this feature would help keep the screws in the wall and the chimney from snapping off.

The shade's design helps with stability too. The chimney is held centered by the shade and the shade is firmly anchored in the tripod mount. The whole arrangement also seems to be designed to take quite a hit if a crewman should stumble into it. The clamps in the sides of the mounting ring don't allow any wiggle.
Caboose lamp shade.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chuck, 3/61, ICCC 1689
Milspec Syndicate #510
Coleman Slant Saver #510
neverfear

Post by neverfear »

Quick_Cal wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:51 pm Here's my model B caboose lamp in a hanger I found. It fit's so I use it,,,lol.

I have that same hanger in a brass finish. Is there any remnants of the color of the top of reflector on yours? Mine is a dark blue.
Craig

Interested in anything that runs on kero or white gas.
Also, collect hit and miss engines and farm relics.
Quick_Cal
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Quick_Cal »

neverfear wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:02 am
Quick_Cal wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:51 pm Here's my model B caboose lamp in a hanger I found. It fit's so I use it,,,lol.

I have that same hanger in a brass finish. Is there any remnants of the color of the top of reflector on yours? Mine is a dark blue.
Nothing I could see. It's been painted silver.
Some call me   "The Wrangler''

Perfection Heater Collectors #1 Gold Bond Collector #19
Quick Lite Crew #39 Slant Saver #64
Canadian Blues #58 Coleman 275 #1979
Sears Collector #100
Erwin
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Erwin »

Since it becomes more and more difficult to find some interesting Coleman stuff on this side of the pond I also keep my eyes open for nice Aladdins.
I have three Cabooses and like them very much. Here is one.

The latest Aladdin I got is a very rare example with a Paris burner and a French labeled chimney.

More pictures here:
https://www.eschaefer.de/hobbys/starkl/ ... nails.html

This one is on its way to me. Good buy for $25. :-)

My homepage: http://www.eschaefer.de
Pls. see navigation on HP for Collectors Maps.
Hot_Diggity
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Hot_Diggity »

I like the wall mount Erwin. I had something like that in mind, but rather than just hanging on the wall like a plaque as I'd initially planned, I may screw the wood base to a wall stud so I can enjoy the movement of the mount. Yours appears to be quite solidly mounted.

My shade and chimney arrived today. I had recommended a box in a box to protect the shade, but I wasn't expecting it to be done quite like this. The seller used two Large Flat Rate boxes and packed the shade in the top and the Aladdin marked chimney in the bottom. Not what I had in mind at all, but it all worked out well. It was shipped via UPS, even if it was in USPS boxes.
Box in a box top.jpg
After I managed to pry the boxes apart I found the very well wrapped chimney in the bottom (outside) box.
Box in a box bottom.jpg
Chuck, 3/61, ICCC 1689
Milspec Syndicate #510
Coleman Slant Saver #510
Carlp336

Post by Carlp336 »

crazy i just saw this post.i grabbed this guy today ! i was excited but jow im torn what to do with it, never been assembled

Hot_Diggity
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Hot_Diggity »

It's yours, so as always, do as you please with it.

But since you asked...
There are bunches of caboose lamps out there, but none that I've seen that were new in the box. I would keep that one as-is and find a nice user, or sell it to a hardcore Aladdin collector and get something you always wanted.

I am pleased that your pictures verify my suspicion that the shade was made in two tones inside and didn't fade to that condition.

Many Aladdin collectors stop at the Model B and if the B-400 on the box indicated a Model B burner it would be especially desirable.
Chuck, 3/61, ICCC 1689
Milspec Syndicate #510
Coleman Slant Saver #510
brucesheehe
Super Colemanaholic
Title: ECCENTRIC BLOCKHEAD

Post by brucesheehe »

I have had a few nasty surprises with the #23 burner. Run-aways. I use jet fuel or Klean=Heat Kerosene substitute in my lamps now. The kerosene in my area causes lots of carbon buildup and run-away conditions.
Bruce Sheehe, aka ECCENTRIC BLOCKHEAD
ICCC #889 - Connoisseur of Time, Friends, Leisure, & Coleman   Altoona, PA - The Mountain City - Near The Eastern USA Continental Divide
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

Sweet, and I agree with Chuck: Save that one and sell it for money to buy something you really want, or keep it as a shelf-queen.

But, whatever, don't do this:

Finger prints on the un-burned mantle can cause burn-through and distortion. I think it's on the packaging. Something along then lines of "handle by the metal parts".
It's priceless until someone puts a price on it.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Texan's last words: "Y'all--hold my beer--I wanta' try sumptin'."
Timm--Middle of nowhere, near the end of the road, Oregon.
Carlp336

Post by Carlp336 »

I’m actually not touching it, the thumb is on the cardboard box in the index finger is on the frame on the back