Anyone have a lantern stay running when you turned the valve off?

Meet and greet members, general topics, show your stuff, recent/weekend finds.
1oldfart
Colemanaholic

Anyone have a lantern stay running when you turned the valve off?

Post by 1oldfart »

If so, What is the cause?
Weirdnerd
Serious Colemanaholic

Re: Anyone have a lantern stay running when you turned the valve off?

Post by Weirdnerd »

Only lantern that did that to me is a 275, the Schrader valve was rotten and did not shut off.
The Squirrels are up to something....

If you need a Sun Flame Generator Model 100-107 ( for Sunflame lanterns models 105, 106, 107 and 110) give me a PM, I have close to 80 of those, 15 bucks each.

Werner
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

It's called a leaking valve. There are various fixes for that, some effective, some less so. Search around, but many of those threads may have been lost in the move.

In case it's really a problem, whatever you do, DO NOT OPEN THE FUEL CAP TO RELIEVE PRESSURE! That can have some really nasty consequences :cf_donotsetfire: . Opening the valve back to less than 1/4 turn will eventually drain the pressure, but my favorite is to simply turn the lantern up-side-down with the valve fully open. Bleeds all pressure pretty fast, and it goes out.

Now find the problem and fix it.

BTW: if the lantern or stove takes a minute or so to go out, that's perfectly normal. The gen holds a fair amount of fuel that needs to burn off after the valve is closed.
It's priceless until someone puts a price on it.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Texan's last words: "Y'all--hold my beer--I wanta' try sumptin'."
Timm--Middle of nowhere, near the end of the road, Oregon.
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

It would help if you told us what lantern you were referencing. Werner was addressing a 'newer' one with a Schrader and I'm thinking of an older lantern without a Schrader. For one without, two reasons come to mind. One is that a piece of grit or debris is in the way of the valve fully closing. The other is where someone cranked down on the valve because they wanted it to shut off like a light switch, and dug a groove into the valve cone. Both are easily addressible.

For the former, remove the generator, pump up the lantern and open the valve to flush it out. For the latter, the valve stem will need to be polished back to a perfect cone shape. Sometimes, it will need solder applied to build it back up a bit if the groove is deep.
-Jim

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?

Invest now, or you'll miss your chance to lose everything!
75vog

Post by 75vog »

I have a 200A that doesn't shut off, so I'll be following this thread for input too.
I turn the pricker and it'll go out, then after the mantle stops glowing and won't relight if I turn pricker again, I then slowly loosen the fuel cap to release pressure for storage. I have not done a full fettle yet.

Thank you JimL for your response. I'll try these fixes myself.
Vogey
Lake St Louis, Missouri USA
ICCC # 2114
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

From an old thread on the issue where a groove is worn into the cone:
"If the cone has a groove worn in it, you can use popsicle sticks to hold the sandpaper in place while you spin it to keep it even when sanding out the groove. You could also spin it with a drill. However, brass is soft, so don't go nuts."

I believe it was our master machinist Deanofid that provided the idea of using popsicle sticks for those of us that would have normally just held the sandpaper between our fingers. Unfortunately, I cannot find the original thread.
-Jim

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?

Invest now, or you'll miss your chance to lose everything!
1oldfart
Colemanaholic

Post by 1oldfart »

I went back out and turned the valve fully on and then turned the valve off again and that seemed to do the trick and shut it off.

Last year when I used that lantern I didn't have the problem.
outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

Just to be sure - the valve is not an on off switch - when you turn it off it takes a little bit for the vaporized fuel in the genny to fully lose pressure and it goes out slowly. This is normal.

Coleman Blue's 243's #341 - 275 Appreciation Syndicate member 0242
FAS #001 Confusing Future Generations of Collectors, One Lantern at a Time!
KK No. 3 Appreciation Klub #1