Moving on

Meet and greet members, general topics, show your stuff, recent/weekend finds.
BryanWP

Moving on

Post by BryanWP »

Interesting day of set back (some times that's how it is...live and learn) and come back.
I picked up 6 lanterns 2 years ago and hadn't had the time to invest [igate] in them until recently.
Took apart an 8/55 220E almost 2 yrs ago, and let it sit until about a month ago when I made the mistake of a complete strip, primered, paint , and seal without actually going through any fount testing first.
Good but costly experience was gained today when I discovered the fount was failing to obtain pressure due to a leak in the pump tube.
I did locate another fount so, I'll be revisiting that one next week.
My feeling of comeback came tonight when I broke out a 1935 242A that I knew was holding pressure fairly well...needs a gasket for a tiny 3 piece fuel cap.. but, full of anticipation and having cleaned out the CV, I got some fuel in it, and fired it up.
Nice way to finish up a day that could have been disappointing..if I made the decision to let it be.
Enjoying the journey, and appreciating the wealth of information you all willingly share.
Blessings from Oregon,
Bryan

Gasman64
Super Colemanaholic
Title: Gaseous Maximus

Re: Moving on

Post by Gasman64 »

Yes, Bryan, most of us have learned at least several things the hard way...trial and error is part of the hobby. We all must be careful not to get too proud, once some knowledge and experience is gained, because it brings bad luck. :x If you've never broken a globe, and say, "Oh, I've never broken a globe, what kind of klutz does that?", that is the next misfortune to befall you. :D
Steve
SE Pennsylvania
Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.
Fortech1977

Post by Fortech1977 »

Don’t feel like you’re alone, I’m certain that many days end with me breaking more than I fix
- Brian
British Columbia, Canada
BryanWP

Post by BryanWP »

Gasman64 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:27 am Yes, Bryan, most of us have learned at least several things the hard way...trial and error is part of the hobby. We all must be careful not to get too proud, once some knowledge and experience is gained, because it brings bad luck. :x If you've never broken a globe, and say, "Oh, I've never broken a globe, what kind of klutz does that?", that is the next misfortune to befall you. :D
Absolutely Gasman!
I'd like to think I've learned the "never say never" lesson but, I'm sure there will be more of those ahead. "Pride and haughtiness before the"... what the what! :D :D :D :D The trial and error brings experience... and I'm sure some days it can add "fortitude" if we look for what it added to us rather than a small but, hopefully recoverable loss. It can all add up to making life an adventure if we embrace it.
BryanWP

Post by BryanWP »

Fortech1977 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:31 am Don’t feel like you’re alone, I’m certain that many days end with me breaking more than I fix
Nah. Don't feel alone at all. Feeing enriched in the interaction with those who have been walking this path before me.
I mean that.
Rfieldbuilds
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Rfieldbuilds »

The hobby is always full of ups and downs.
Be stoked you have a 242a. Probably the hardest 242 model to find. Congrats.
Randy
QL #15, Slant Saver #59, #0269 Turd Hurdler, #0269 Mil Spec Syndicate, Coleman Blues 243 #0269, BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #072, Sears Traveler 2.0 Host #1, and a few others too.