Crusty Burgundy 200a

Meet and greet members, general topics, show your stuff, recent/weekend finds.
Volvoguy
Colemanaholic

Crusty Burgundy 200a

Post by Volvoguy »

Here’s a find I’m pretty excited about. I had to go to another park for a job interview and pending details I was hired on the spot. It can still flop due to government and parks pulling me different ways, but on the way back I decided to visit my old park.

When I lived on park I’d hit these stores when bored and never had any luck. Today though I round the corner and behold, a burgundy.

Talked to the owner about lanterns and gave him a ton of info on a Christmas lantern he had priced at $150, and he said for the info he’d knock some off the price. Still expensive and my most expensive lantern buy (excluding buying a lantern and firing the parts cannon).

I did not do any of my usual stuff to it which consists of a full tear down, citric, clear coating, polishing, etc. Just wanted to see it run.

So here it is. The pump feels a little rough still and it’s a little dim, but it may need more pressure. I am a little worried on the rust, and I usually repaint but as it’s a burgundy I’ll try to leave it.

Rustytank
Super Colemanaholic

Re: Crusty Burgundy 200a

Post by Rustytank »

Dang man you didn't tell me you got the job, congratulations!!
I'd leave the burg as it is too.
Call me Rusty
Coleman Blues 243's #175
Sunflame appreciation club #2
275 Appreciation Syndicate #0245
Looking for birthday lanterns 11/58, 3/68, 3/73, 6/85, 11/96, 6/97, 11/97, 12/00

Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. - Psalm 119:105.
Kgam1020
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Kgam1020 »

Yup, just clean it and use it! Nice score!
Ken.
Looking for Bday lanterns, 10/83, 11/84 and 10/2011.
ICCC Member #2202
Milspec Syndicate member #1020
The Coleman Blues 243 #1020 
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #1020
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

Nice find on that one 👍
Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
REJ2
Super Colemanaholic

Post by REJ2 »

This day and age a $150 for a Christmas lantern is a decent price to begin with, anything less makes it great deal. Had a crusty burgundy that I repainted with a Rustoleum merlot color, turned out nice.
Bob   
Never, ever, leave behind a $5 lamp
ICCC #1574
Bob1774
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Bob1774 »

Nice finds, and congrats on your new job it sounds.

Funny, I found a "burg," some years ago with a similar fount, but the vent was mint. Decided I didn't want to paint it, so sold it. Sure enough, about a month or so later, buy a burg at the flea market with a near mint fount, wrong vent! Sigh.
Bob
Volvoguy
Colemanaholic

Post by Volvoguy »

REJ2 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:47 pm This day and age a $150 for a Christmas lantern is a decent price to begin with, anything less makes it great deal. Had a crusty burgundy that I repainted with a Rustoleum merlot color, turned out nice.
It was a little rich for my blood since I have one, but I know where it is if I change my mind, and have told others where it is. The seller straight up asked me if it would sell for that price and I gave him the honest answer of it might, but isn't likely in that area. Someone would have to know what it is and be after one, but I did tell him I let people know.

Anyways, do you have any photos of the repaint? I have a stripped fount to play around with. I've been experimenting with colors lately trying to nail down processes and colors for a proper restore when it has to be done.
25_502s
Super Colemanaholic

Post by 25_502s »

Sweet looking burg! A mint burg is a very good looking lantern but there’s something about an original simi-crusty burg that makes it one of my favorites.
Jason
not looking for any more Bday gpas. Honestly, if you have a 10-72 don’t let me know about it.
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0214
Coleman Slant Saver #56
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #31
Volvoguy
Colemanaholic

Post by Volvoguy »

25_502s wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:25 am Sweet looking burg! A mint burg is a very good looking lantern but there’s something about an original simi-crusty burg that makes it one of my favorites.
Thanks! I am curious about your lantern on the left. The knob is throwing me a bit.

In my photos the all red repaint is a frank which yours reminded me of. I have put a 242 valve in them before for fun when I had a compromised 242. Mine is currently a 59 fount and later uppers. I looked at my parts bin and thought there was a whole lantern in there.
25_502s
Super Colemanaholic

Post by 25_502s »

[/quote]

Thanks! I am curious about your lantern on the left. The knob is throwing me a bit. …..
[/quote]

I think that is the 1st lantern I ever lit up. I bought it that way and have always assumed it is a 242 valve but don’t really know it’s history.
Jason
not looking for any more Bday gpas. Honestly, if you have a 10-72 don’t let me know about it.
Coleman Slant Saver #56
25_502s
Super Colemanaholic

Post by 25_502s »

But I really do like burgs!
Jason
Coleman Slant Saver #56
Volvoguy
Colemanaholic

Post by Volvoguy »

25_502s wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:41 am But I really do like burgs!
Any of those repaints? They look so nice that it's hard to tell.
REJ2
Super Colemanaholic

Post by REJ2 »

Volvoguy wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:11 am
REJ2 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:47 pm This day and age a $150 for a Christmas lantern is a decent price to begin with, anything less makes it great deal. Had a crusty burgundy that I repainted with a Rustoleum merlot color, turned out nice.
It was a little rich for my blood since I have one, but I know where it is if I change my mind, and have told others where it is. The seller straight up asked me if it would sell for that price and I gave him the honest answer of it might, but isn't likely in that area. Someone would have to know what it is and be after one, but I did tell him I let people know.

Anyways, do you have any photos of the repaint? I have a stripped fount to play around with. I've been experimenting with colors lately trying to nail down processes and colors for a proper restore when it has to be done.
I do have a pic, paint was Krylon not Rustoleum as i had previously stated. Lantern is on the far right next to actual paint i used. Lantern is dated 3-62

Bob   
Never, ever, leave behind a $5 lamp
ICCC #1574
Volvoguy
Colemanaholic

Post by Volvoguy »

REJ2 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:08 am
Volvoguy wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:11 am

I do have a pic, paint was Krylon not Rustoleum as i had previously stated. Lantern is on the far right next to actual paint i used. Lantern is dated 3-62

I really like that so repainting is tempting. I'll hold off for a while though and see how clear coating works out as it's leaving a paint trail everywhere it goes.

Thanks for the photo!
GregB

Post by GregB »

I've come to love repainting. I've improved to the point that I want to re-do the first ones.
Volvoguy
Colemanaholic

Post by Volvoguy »

GregB wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:30 pm I've come to love repainting. I've improved to the point that I want to re-do the first ones.
I really like it but understand why some want things to stay original. I’ve just had so many blown out 200a lanterns that it now seems like it would be best to strip and inspect. I’ve had some perfect ones with only one rust spot, and surprise surprise that spot ends up being a hole. It’s weird.
Up to Light

Post by Up to Light »

Don't Paint! Leave as is! Clean inside, new generator, new mantles and light up! Beautiful Lantern!
Volvoguy
Colemanaholic

Post by Volvoguy »

Up to Light wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:22 am Don't Paint! Leave as is! Clean inside, new generator, new mantles and light up! Beautiful Lantern!
At the moment that's still the plan. I get a little worried about rot but inside it looks good. Without anything but a cap gasket and generator (old one was plugged thanks to the mesh screen), it runs fine and for a long time needing no pumps.

I did have another lantern come with a compromised fount so I'm always a little worried. For me repainting is less worried about looks and more worried about rot.
Up to Light

Post by Up to Light »

Volvoguy wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:50 am
Up to Light wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:22 am Don't Paint! Leave as is! Clean inside, new generator, new mantles and light up! Beautiful Lantern!
At the moment that's still the plan. I get a little worried about rot but inside it looks good. Without anything but a cap gasket and generator (old one was plugged thanks to the mesh screen), it runs fine and for a long time needing no pumps.

I did have another lantern come with a compromised fount so I'm always a little worried. For me repainting is less worried about looks and more worried about rot.
Fantastic!
stickandrudder

Post by stickandrudder »

Awesome burg!

I’ve been struggling with repainting also. I can’t abide rust, and if it’s a valuable lantern, do you let the rust work while you sleep, or keep it for patina? I guess every situation is different. I have a 237B I got that had a good amount of surface rust across the entire top of the fount and the more I tried to take it off while saving the paint the worse the rust looked. I eventually just took it to my local auto paint store and got the paint matched then sanded the whole thing and repainted. I figured the fount was too valuable to save to let rust work on it another 80 years. Idk if that’s right or not? Looks good now tho and I can sleep. Lol. I’d have not done that if it was just scratched up. Idk.
Jared

ICCC # 1885
Volvoguy
Colemanaholic

Post by Volvoguy »

stickandrudder wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:41 pm Awesome burg!

I’ve been struggling with repainting also. I can’t abide rust, and if it’s a valuable lantern, do you let the rust work while you sleep, or keep it for patina? I guess every situation is different. I have a 237B I got that had a good amount of surface rust across the entire top of the fount and the more I tried to take it off while saving the paint the worse the rust looked. I eventually just took it to my local auto paint store and got the paint matched then sanded the whole thing and repainted. I figured the fount was too valuable to save to let rust work on it another 80 years. Idk if that’s right or not? Looks good now tho and I can sleep. Lol. I’d have not done that if it was just scratched up. Idk.
That's how I am with them. The lantern as a whole and un-compromised is worth more than the patina, plus I heavily use my lanterns. I set them on all sorts of surfaces and take them on a lot of adventures. Someone had said that clear coating them (when there is no rust) was not original, so might as well repaint. The thing with the burgundy is making it look right so I have some hesitation. This one has a nice dark burgundy while some seem to be pretty light, and the dark sure does look cool.

For the time being it'll get left alone as I play with some others.
lynn225
Colemanaholic

Post by lynn225 »

Excellent score!!

My burg was just about equally as crusty as yours. I cleaned it, addressed the rust, and clear coated it to preserve status quo.
Lynn Klingel
Huntingdon, PA

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." ACC,#3

All your lantern are belong to us.
You have no chance to survive make your time.

Coleman Blues 243's  #137
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0218
Mil-SpecOps #0218
stickandrudder

Post by stickandrudder »

Volvoguy wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:30 am

That's how I am with them. The lantern as a whole and un-compromised is worth more than the patina, plus I heavily use my lanterns. I set them on all sorts of surfaces and take them on a lot of adventures. Someone had said that clear coating them (when there is no rust) was not original, so might as well repaint. The thing with the burgundy is making it look right so I have some hesitation. This one has a nice dark burgundy while some seem to be pretty light, and the dark sure does look cool.

It’s neat how you get to use so many of yours all the time. Makes sense they have to be environment proof.
Jared

ICCC # 1885
Volvoguy
Colemanaholic

Post by Volvoguy »

lynn225 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:31 pm Excellent score!!

My burg was just about equally as crusty as yours. I cleaned it, addressed the rust, and clear coated it to preserve status quo.
What did you use on the rust? I have my methods for rust spots but this one is freckled all over. Evaporust always wrecks my paint so it’s not an option on a burg. Someone recommended a product from Home Depot so I’ll have to go though some screenshots to see what it was. They submerged the fount with no problems.
Volvoguy
Colemanaholic

Post by Volvoguy »

stickandrudder wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:28 pm

It’s neat how you get to use so many of yours all the time. Makes sense they have to be environment proof.

Oh yes I even make park programs around use of them. The running joke here is the state pays me to play with lanterns.

I’ve done tons of park programs with them but have also used them when we’ve broken waterlines. They’re also handy when it’s in the single digits and in snowstorms (rare here). I lived in a camper last year where they also worked for heat.

They may dated but in parks they’re an amazing tool. It does confuse people seeing someone in uniform walking around at night with a lantern though.
Huntaholic

Post by Huntaholic »

Volvoguy wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:45 pm

Oh yes I even make park programs around use of them. The running joke here is the state pays me to play with lanterns.

I’ve done tons of park programs with them but have also used them when we’ve broken waterlines. They’re also handy when it’s in the single digits and in snowstorms (rare here). I lived in a camper last year where they also worked for heat.

They may dated but in parks they’re an amazing tool. It does confuse people seeing someone in uniform walking around at night with a lantern though.
It MIGHT not be the lantern that confuses them Chris! :mrgreen:
Volvoguy
Colemanaholic

Post by Volvoguy »

Huntaholic wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:09 pm

It MIGHT not be the lantern that confuses them Chris! :mrgreen:
Fair point. I have a reputation in the Eastern and Middle TN division for being a nut. Last in-service for the higher up's I heard of plenty stories told about me and my antics. Some coleman related, some not.
stickandrudder

Post by stickandrudder »

Nostalgic and like out of a movie. Some fog would make it perfect.
Jared

ICCC # 1885
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

If you want to maintain value and desirability, I think you should leave it, even as crusty as it is. Three or four years ago, someone was selling a burgundy for $10 at a Gettysburg gathering. So many people zeroed in on it, but as soon as the seller stated that it was a repaint, they put it back down and walked away. Myself included. Eventually, it did sell.
-Jim

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it.
Volvoguy
Colemanaholic

Post by Volvoguy »

JimL wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:07 am If you want to maintain value and desirability, I think you should leave it, even as crusty as it is. Three or four years ago, someone was selling a burgundy for $10 at a Gettysburg gathering. So many people zeroed in on it, but as soon as the seller stated that it was a repaint, they put it back down and walked away. Myself included. Eventually, it did sell.

I hope you mean $100.00 and not $10.00. The $10.00 price had me confused for a moment. I understand the $100 price.

So far I’m leaving it alone for now. The rust everywhere just has me a tad worried but inside looks good. My luck with 200a’s just keeps me on edge with them though most are fine. This one just has rust under the paint all over.

I’m not too concerned with value really as I don’t sell much. I’d like to get a variant of every 200a. I think now I’m missing just the green and red text collar and the gold bond. The text collars will probably come around some day. A gold bond... probably not.
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

>>I hope you mean $100.00 and not $10.00.

That wasn't a typo. It's only been three or four years since you could buy 200's and 200A's for that price from fellow collectors. I don't know what the current going rate is, but if you want deals, go to a gathering.
-Jim

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it.
Volvoguy
Colemanaholic

Post by Volvoguy »

JimL wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:42 pm >>I hope you mean $100.00 and not $10.00.

That wasn't a typo. It's only been three or four years since you could buy 200's and 200A's for that price from fellow collectors. I don't know what the current going rate is, but if you want deals, go to a gathering.
Dang that’s before my time. I’m used to the minefield of $50 “commons”. Guess I got to the party a little late... I spend a bit much on lanterns and parts.