flying with GPA

Meet and greet members, general topics, show your stuff, recent/weekend finds.
ecblanks
Super Colemanaholic

flying with GPA

Post by ecblanks »

Thinking about taking a stove with my on my family trip to Utah in a couple of weeks, in case I get a wild hair to do some cooking in the park (low likelihood, not a camping trip). I'm trying to travel light so it would likely be my Peak 1 442. Am I ok to try to put it in a checked bag(empty of fuel, of course)?
What i don't want to risk is it getting confiscated at the airport, and likely without time to return it to the car.
Carlton
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate # 0176
Slant Saver #29
Mil-Spec Ops #0973
ICCC Member #1892 (expired)
ecblanks
Super Colemanaholic

Re: flying with GPA

Post by ecblanks »

Actually now that I think about it, the bigger issue is going to be finding fuel for it out there. I'm not paying $15+ for a gallon can and leaving the remainder just so I can heat a can of soup. I reckon I could use pump gas, but try to avoid it for cooking.
Carlton
Slant Saver #29
Mil-Spec Ops #0973
REJ2
Super Colemanaholic

Post by REJ2 »

What would be wrong with a small wood fueled fire, assuming no fire restrictions?
Bob   
Never, ever, leave behind a $5 lamp
ICCC #1574
Hot_Diggity
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Hot_Diggity »

You could carry a folded up, prepaid Flatrate box and a roll of tape. RDU has mail drop boxes in the terminal. I always waved at a skycap and told them that I was travelling with a checked firearm. This got me head of the line check-in and bag inspection. Don't know if they'd still X-ray your bag post-9/11/2001, but it got me in and out of airports in a hurry. Always had to hurry to baggage claim, because my armored box was always first out.

You could always whip up a three can T-LUD and leave it in Utah. It's a Gas No-Pressure Appliance. One new Gallon paint can with lid, one #10 (Coffee) can, and one tall one quart 14oz juice can. Pack a bag of wood pellets (even horse bedding or "Feline Pine" cat litter from Petsmart) and a little bottle of DNA (Or an old newspaper) and you're good for a week of evening wood fires. Little to no smoke, wood cooking smell, lots of heat and I've never been bothered about it in any National Forest campground. You have to be good to make popcorn on it if you're used to putting the popper in coals. Has to stay moving. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF8VTl4lqvA
Chuck, 3/61, ICCC 1689
Milspec Syndicate #510
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0510
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #12
BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #510
Coleman Slant Saver #510
Frank Appreciation Syndicate Member #2
Tinker, Toy maker, Trash picker, Wickie, Lamp loon
ecblanks
Super Colemanaholic

Post by ecblanks »

REJ2 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:49 pm What would be wrong with a small wood fueled fire, assuming no fire restrictions?
Just trying to use my gear, that's all.
Carlton
Slant Saver #29
Mil-Spec Ops #0973
ecblanks
Super Colemanaholic

Post by ecblanks »

Hot_Diggity wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:25 pm You could carry a folded up, prepaid Flatrate box and a roll of tape. RDU has mail drop boxes in the terminal. I always waved at a skycap and told them that I was travelling with a checked firearm. This got me head of the line check-in and bag inspection. Don't know if they'd still X-ray your bag post-9/11/2001, but it got me in and out of airports in a hurry. Always had to hurry to baggage claim, because my armored box was always first out.

You could always whip up a three can T-LUD and leave it in Utah. It's a Gas No-Pressure Appliance. One new Gallon paint can with lid, one #10 (Coffee) can, and one tall one quart 14oz juice can. Pack a bag of wood pellets (even horse bedding or "Feline Pine" cat litter from Petsmart) and a little bottle of DNA (Or an old newspaper) and you're good for a week of evening wood fires. Little to no smoke, wood cooking smell, lots of heat and I've never been bothered about it in any National Forest campground. You have to be good to make popcorn on it if you're used to putting the popper in coals. Has to stay moving. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF8VTl4lqvA
Good suggestios as always Chuck, but again with my fuel problem. I forgot I actually have a cynlinder topper propane burner that I can easily throw in my luggage and buy a single cylindre. I don't like using it compared to my liquid fueld appliances, but its a decent choice for this limited use case.
Carlton
Slant Saver #29
Mil-Spec Ops #0973
Hot_Diggity
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Hot_Diggity »

The return trip with fuel vapors in the fount may be an issue. Call the TSA at RDU and bombard them with questions. They're supposed to be the experts. I flew to Japan with a can of VHT spraypaint and two gallons of aircraft coating remover in my carry-on bag. Bet you couldn't do that now.
Chuck, 3/61, ICCC 1689
Milspec Syndicate #510
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0510
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #12
BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #510
Coleman Slant Saver #510
Frank Appreciation Syndicate Member #2
Tinker, Toy maker, Trash picker, Wickie, Lamp loon
hikerduane
Super Colemanaholic

Post by hikerduane »

I used my isobutane stove when I went to Alaska, picked up fuel at the REI in Anchorage and left the balance at the hostel. Easy.
Duane
Duane-All seasons, year round backpacker and camper.  So many stoves and lanterns, who's counting.
D421
Super Colemanaholic

Post by D421 »

I think you have to turn off all lanterns and stoves when the seat belt sign is on.
Dominic
Everyone likes the dog catcher...until they catch your dog.
ICCC #1992
ecblanks
Super Colemanaholic

Post by ecblanks »

D421 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:10 pm I think you have to turn off all lanterns and stoves when the seat belt sign is on.
That's just a suggestion
Carlton
Slant Saver #29
Mil-Spec Ops #0973
gwillmot
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by gwillmot »

Actually, not enough thrust produced by the 442 to get you in the air ... so I recommend leaving it behind and flying with an airline aircraft instead .... ✈
Still Crazy After All These Years - Glenn

He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
Mark 16:16

Weirdnerd
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Weirdnerd »

Last time I got on a plane, they had me remove two NOS Primus alcohol containers from my luggage and throw them in the trash, did not matter they never had alcohol in them, I would be leery of taking anything that may have contained fuel in my suitcase.

Best bet is to get a butane backpacking stove without the fuel, that way, they will not flag your bag.
The Squirrels are up to something....

If you need a Sun Flame Generator Model 100-107 ( for Sunflame lanterns models 105, 106, 107 and 110) give me a PM, I have close to 80 of those, 15 bucks each.

Werner
stickandrudder

Post by stickandrudder »

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-scr ... amp-stoves

The big thing would be not smelling any gas. They shouldn’t make you throw it away tho. Just make sure to take out the lithium batteries before checking it ;P
Jared

ICCC # 1885
CaptainFantastic
Administrator
Title: Coleman Helvetica (CH)

Post by CaptainFantastic »

Not exactly relevant, and I don't recommend, but a couple of stories on topic...

Back in the summer of 2013 I took the family 'state-side flying from Zurich into Chicago then on to Salt Lake and back out via Chicago again. So 2 fully international and 2 internal flights.
All the way ZRH to SLC I had a 533 likely full of CF, plus a Trangia and bottle of DNA in checked bags.
In Yellowstone I bought a can of Crown fuel. Coming home I had all this, plus a full crown can again in checked in baggage. :o

Never a problem. :shock:

In hindsight and hearing all the above, the Coleman Gods must have been watching over me and my stoves + fuel! :?

A couple years back I also bought a 200a and had it shipped to a friend of mine in the US. It turned up just as he left for the airport for Zurich. He is no GPA expert, and simply took it out the box and put it into his hand luggage. He somehow made it here and when I met him to collect it the fount was half full with CF. I cannot imagine how he got anywhere with that?
I'm really glad he never got into trouble due to me and a 200a...

Edit to add: I just realised that 533 was my first ever Coleman! I even have a photo of me cooking with both in Yellowstone.
Ian - Looking for these dates 7/82, 7/92, 8/93, 9/03, 11/05, 5/17
ICCC #1480 | ICCC co-webmaster
Elbonian Support Staff for CCF
MotorcycleDan
Super Colemanaholic

Post by MotorcycleDan »

Carlton,

Where are you going in UT? If you are going through Cedar City, I could fix you up with a tank of fuel.

When I worked at Joshua Tree NP, most people that flew would bring a small butane or single burner propane. Then when done, leave the fuel can in our recycling bin and then take the stove back with them. We would get a few with a single burner peak stove now and then.

Just make sure you air it out for a day before you fly, and you should be fine.
Dan ICCC #900
222, 226, 229, 3022 Collector
ICCC Treasure
ecblanks
Super Colemanaholic

Post by ecblanks »

MotorcycleDan wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:38 pm Carlton,

Where are you going in UT? If you are going through Cedar City, I could fix you up with a tank of fuel.

When I worked at Joshua Tree NP, most people that flew would bring a small butane or single burner propane. Then when done, leave the fuel can in our recycling bin and then take the stove back with them. We would get a few with a single burner peak stove now and then.

Just make sure you air it out for a day before you fly, and you should be fine.
Hey Dan, thanks for the kind offer. We're doing Zion, Bryce, and Grand Canyon (in that order), so reasonably near Cedar City though we're largely going to stay south and east. I'd really only need about a pint of fuel for my 442, which is as much as I'd plan on packing. I don't have any planned camp meals, just thinking having the option would be nice/fun.
Carlton
Slant Saver #29
Mil-Spec Ops #0973
Vendo63 guy
Colemanaholic

Post by Vendo63 guy »

I have flown both domestic and international multiple times with used lamps and GPAs. To date I have not had a problem, but I have also been prepared. It really boils down to the agent checking your luggage, their awareness of the rules, and the mood they’re in that day. My advice is to learn the regs and know them better than the TSA agent you’ll be up against. Print out copies of the rules/regs that support your argument and have them with you at screening and you’ll be just fine 👍 The following website contains TSA guidance on what you can and can’t bring and should be all you need for domestic travel. It addresses both camping equipment and flammables:
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-scr ... nd-camping
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jake

“Go slow, because you don’t have much time...”
- Prof. Robert J. Schultz
ecblanks
Super Colemanaholic

Post by ecblanks »

THat's good stuff, Jake. Thanks.
Carlton
Slant Saver #29
Mil-Spec Ops #0973
camperfanatic01

Post by camperfanatic01 »

Make you a couple of alcohol burners from soda cans once you’re there…. They actually do pretty decent in a pinch and burn rubbing alcohol which would be readily available and not cost too much. You have to devise a way to keep the pot above the burner somewhat though, couple of logs or bricks maybe…. Just a thought….
Daryl22
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Daryl22 »

Carlton, Few years back me and wife landed in Bozeman Mt. rented car and meet up with Son's family for trip to Yellowstone Nat. Park. I packed sm pocket rocket and important sm carbon steel fry pan. The 6 of us had grilled cheese with tomato soup while flyfishing the Yellowstone River. Could have picked up fry pan along with fuel and groceries but nice to use your own equipment. Have fun on your adventure. Been to those spots with family too. Daryl sunny SoCal
Daryl sunny SoCal
No.3 & No.7 KampKook appreciation #5
BenzOmatic Appreciation Club
275 Appreciation #0249
Mil-Spec Ops #0356
Lines
Colemanaholic

Post by Lines »

Excellent info Jake!
Robert
Looking for 10/59 lantern or fount for rebuilder.
Prefer a 228E, but not that set on it.
Any 10/59 lantern or fount.