1960 228E I plan to use in the near future.

Meet and greet members, general topics, show your stuff, recent/weekend finds.
tompatjr

1960 228E I plan to use in the near future.

Post by tompatjr »

Hello All, I bought what I thought was a pretty good example of a 1/60 228E. I broke it all the way down and gave it a little polishing.

This is my oldest addition so far, and it predates me by many years too. I was impressed by the pump assembly(the pump shaft is threaded making the cup easy to r&r and the knob is what looks like copper(it was almost black as I received it)), otherwise it's very similar to the half-dozen or so 220F's that I always seem to find(I find it hard to leave a cheap lantern behind).

It's not perfect in any way...the fount paint is a little rough, the frame has a little rust in the bottom, the vent has one spot around the perforated area that is missing enamel and has some rust and a couple of other things.

Would I like to be better? Sure. However, with the way she is I plan to make her the sunshine of the night again soon.

I also think she's all original with no parts having ever been lost or replaced...What do you think?

My only regret is I wish I had some of the old coarse weave silk-lites to hang on her. I think that'd make her look perfect.

Regards,
Tom

I would like to find any Coleman lantern with a date 9-74 for a B'day.
Kgam1020
Super Colemanaholic

Re: 1960 228E I plan to use in the near future.

Post by Kgam1020 »

That is a nice lookin big hat E! The brass is like new! I think you did a nice job. The pump knob is brass, was anything soaked in vinegar to clean up? If brass is left in vinegar to long it will turn it a pinkish color.
Ken.
Looking for Bday lanterns, 10/83, 11/84 and 10/2011.
ICCC Member #2202
Milspec Syndicate member #1020
The Coleman Blues 243 #1020 
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #1020
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

The pump knob originally had a black finish--a patina--from the factory. It's distinctive of the 50s-60 lanterns.

I have a '60 228E also (my Bday lantern). It's a great runner. Es are classics and the last of the "dot-dash" collars.
It's priceless until someone puts a price on it.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Texan's last words: "Y'all--hold my beer--I wanta' try sumptin'."
Timm--Middle of nowhere, near the end of the road, Oregon.
tompatjr

Post by tompatjr »

Kgam1020 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:50 pm That is a nice lookin big hat E! The brass is like new! I think you did a nice job. The pump knob is brass, was anything soaked in vinegar to clean up? If brass is left in vinegar to long it will turn it a pinkish color.
No vinegar used in my process. I have a hobby size rotary tumbler. In it I use lemishine and dish soap, for media I have stainless pins. I broke down the brass assembly of the lantern into individual parts and ran them in the tumbler for ~45min. They come out nice and bright...if they are really bad, this one wasn't, I just tumble them longer. Not sure why the pump knob came out more pink than the other brass, all parts were tumbled together. I also polished the frame rest with metal polish while the brass was tumbling and cleaned the globe, fount and vent too.

BTW, I didn't want to mar the burner tubes so after looking them over I tried a torx T55 which fit well inside the burner and I was able to remove them without issue. NOTE: If anyone does this just be sure not to insert it too far or you'll push the screen up into the tubes. A the butt of a bic pen can push the screen back down to the caps if you do stick it in too far.

Gunhippie wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:03 pm The pump knob originally had a black finish--a patina--from the factory. It's distinctive of the 50s-60 lanterns.

I have a '60 228E also (my Bday lantern). It's a great runner. Es are classics and the last of the "dot-dash" collars.
I wish I would have known before I cleaned it up. All my other lanterns are from 68' to current and have the aluminum pump knob. I didn't even know Coleman made them this way.

I'm sure after a few uses it's get some of that patina back. If not, I'll look around for a product or process to blacken the brass.

Thanks for mentioning this. I'll keep it in my hat for future cleanups.

Tom
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

I think the brass is plated with copper first. Look up "black patina for copper" online. I also carefully stripped the black from my first '50's lantern, so pass the formula on if you find something fairly cheap and non-toxic.

200As and stoves of this period also had the black patina pumps.
It's priceless until someone puts a price on it.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Texan's last words: "Y'all--hold my beer--I wanta' try sumptin'."
Timm--Middle of nowhere, near the end of the road, Oregon.
Kgam1020
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Kgam1020 »

Nice to know about the T55 bit!
Ken.
Looking for Bday lanterns, 10/83, 11/84 and 10/2011.
ICCC Member #2202
Milspec Syndicate member #1020
The Coleman Blues 243 #1020 
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #1020
tompatjr

Post by tompatjr »

Gunhippie wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:56 pm I think the brass is plated with copper first. Look up "black patina for copper" online. I also carefully stripped the black from my first '50's lantern, so pass the formula on if you find something fairly cheap and non-toxic.

200As and stoves of this period also had the black patina pumps.
I'll keep an eye out! Thanks for the info.
Kgam1020 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:02 pm Nice to know about the T55 bit!
Yeah I have improvised several tools to take these things apart and make my life easier. I'll have to post a thread about another socket and extension I've used to make things easier.

Tom
BSAGuy
Super Colemanaholic

Post by BSAGuy »

Very nice.
- Courtenay
Be Prepared
mksmth
Super Colemanaholic

Post by mksmth »

Looks sharp!
Mike
ICCC #2030
Coleman quick lite crew #51
Coleman Blues 243's #171
275 syndicate #0429
Love flathead Ford's, tropical plants and Coleman lantern.
Ridge Runner
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Ridge Runner »

That is a great looking 228. Classic style and a big hat to top it off. Agreed--coarse weave Silkies look right at home on them too.

On the pump knob, Lemi Shine has citric acid in it which will affect brass and copper like vinegar does. To get some black color back, a solution of baking soda and water will get it going in the right direction. Keep stirring spoonfuls of baking soda into hot water until it won't dissolve any more. Place your part in the solution. It's slow going--very slow--but the longer you leave your part in the solution the darker it gets. I found the recepie and used it to age a copper funnel.
— L.J.
In the foothills of the Berkshires, Western Massachusetts

ICCC #2197
Visit the Coleman Blues 243's Current Membership
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #1980
I love the smell of naphtha in the morning!
"Ain’t no need to watch where I’m goin’; just need to know where I’ve been" -Tow Mater
Gasman64
Super Colemanaholic
Title: Gaseous Maximus

Post by Gasman64 »

Tom, that's a great looking lantern; you did a great job shining it up!
:cf_sign_restoration:
Steve
SE Pennsylvania
Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.
tompatjr

Post by tompatjr »

Ridge Runner wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:33 am That is a great looking 228. Classic style and a big hat to top it off. Agreed--coarse weave Silkies look right at home on them too.

On the pump knob, Lemi Shine has citric acid in it which will affect brass and copper like vinegar does. To get some black color back, a solution of baking soda and water will get it going in the right direction. Keep stirring spoonfuls of baking soda into hot water until it won't dissolve any more. Place your part in the solution. It's slow going--very slow--but the longer you leave your part in the solution the darker it gets. I found the recepie and used it to age a copper funnel.
To all- Thanks for looking and thanks for the replies!

The Tips and knowledge too!

Ridge Runner, Thank you for the info. For now I think I'm going to leave the pump knob as it is, with the halfway new penny look. It'll remind me what not to do and get on this forum first and post pictures and ask questions..

Tom