Looking for an led for a lantern

Meet and greet members, general topics, show your stuff, recent/weekend finds.
Farmer Brown

Looking for an led for a lantern

Post by Farmer Brown »

I’m usually not into this LED thing but I have a nice looking lantern that rotted from the inside of the tank. I was pumping it up one day “while it was lit” and I heard what I thought sounded like a subsonic 22 round going off. At first I didn’t see any flames so it was probably the neighbors caught a raccoon or something. Time goes on and I smell fuel and there is a hole in the back of the lantern. I turned it off and thought it didn’t look bad for display on the front seeing no chips or scratches. It is a 275
Tyler
tompatjr

Re: Looking for an led for a lantern

Post by tompatjr »

If you're looking for pure function, durable, long run times, and compact...I've been real happy with my Fenix brand lantern. IF you want a lantern that looks like a vintage Coleman WG lantern the Fenix is not going to be for you.
I would like to find any Coleman lantern with a date 9-74 for a B'day.
Troglodyte

Post by Troglodyte »

I made a 220 into an LED for my grandson using information from Gunhippie’s discussion in this thread
(https://www.colemancollectorsforum.com/ ... ed#p254919)

My grandson’s lantern
https://www.colemancollectorsforum.com/ ... 10&t=25353
I'm excited when we lose electricity at the house.

Mike 
Texas Panhandle
ICCC 1369
Ridge Runner
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Ridge Runner »

Tyler, I wouldn't give up on your 275. You should be able to get a parts lantern or a fount to get you back up and running without too much of an investment. Post a WTB here in the classifides if you want to start somewhere.

If you're still looking for an LED lantern with some character, the Coleman Classic 500 Lumen lantern is a good choice. Here's a link to their product page:

https://www.coleman.com/lighting/lanter ... 55764.html

I have one (soon to be two or three--my kids fight over it) and it is very nice for an LED lantern. It’s styled after a '70s 200A:

Pay no attention to the light meter, I was beginning to conduct a highly scientific light-output comaprison between the two:

https://www.colemancollectorsforum.com/ ... 58#p426258
— L.J.
In the foothills of the Berkshires, Western Massachusetts

ICCC #2197
Visit the Coleman Blues 243's Current Membership
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #1980
I love the smell of naphtha in the morning!
"Ain’t no need to watch where I’m goin’; just need to know where I’ve been" -Tow Mater
Farmer Brown

Post by Farmer Brown »

I got myself a couple 275s I’m merging into one. I figured this one is nice and clean for the house still. That 220 on the porch turned out really cool! Probably won’t be hacking into this tank though.
Tyler
Lines
Colemanaholic

Post by Lines »

Robert
Looking for 10/59 lantern or fount for rebuilder.
Prefer a 228E, but not that set on it.
Any 10/59 lantern or fount.
ibutler

Post by ibutler »

Won't the time/space continuum rip apart if we discuss such a topic here, plunging us into a dark hole of eternity?
Joking aside, I have the LED lantern and it is pretty good. If you wanted to instill a fascination in lanterns to kids, it would be ideal.
Farmer Brown

Post by Farmer Brown »

:) Just a reminder, the lantern I’m putting light in is critically out of commission or will be a parts lantern if not being a house light. I was just brainstorming on how to display it if I wanted to.
Tyler