Brite-lite 66

Meet and greet members, general topics, show your stuff, recent/weekend finds.
mksmth
Super Colemanaholic

Brite-lite 66

Post by mksmth »

So I won this on eBay last weekend and just got it. To my disappointment, the fount is extremely cracked. At first I was very upset with the seller but I went back and re-studied the images and the cracks were clearly visible and it's my fault for not doing better. Either way, it's quite a unique lamp. Neil hadn't seen one like it And he believes it's a very early Brite lite 66 and is adding it to the PLC as such.
I'm just posting it here in case there's anybody out there that might need some of these parts to make theirs shine again.

Mike
ICCC #2030
Coleman quick lite crew #51
Coleman Blues 243's #171
275 syndicate #0429
Love flathead Ford's, tropical plants and Coleman lantern.
Macburner
Colemanaholic

Re: Brite-lite 66

Post by Macburner »

This was not an easy call but I think it’s an early Brite-Lite 66. I only have one Brite-Lite catalogue from about 1915/1916 which does show a model 65 with this tank and a model 66 with a different fount but with the same type of shade ring. I considered AGM for a while but as far as I know they never used that type of high dome fount and their burner doesn’t have a vertical air tube but does have a hanging loop which this burner lacks. So my best guess is an earlier variation of Brite-Lite 66. Possibly with a tank bought in from some other brass works and fitted with a Brite-Lite burner. ::Neil::

Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate

Author-The Pressure Lamp Catalogue (PLC).

Neil A. McRae. ICCC #306. Director International Guild of Lamp Researchers Ltd.

mksmth
Super Colemanaholic

Post by mksmth »

Macburner wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:30 pm This was not an easy call but I think it’s an early Brite-Lite 66. I only have one Brite-Lite catalogue from about 1915/1916 which does show a model 65 with this tank and a model 66 with a different fount but with the same type of shade ring. I considered AGM for a while but as far as I know they never used that type of high dome fount and their burner doesn’t have a vertical air tube but does have a hanging loop which this burner lacks. So my best guess is an earlier variation of Brite-Lite 66. Possibly with a tank bought in from some other brass works and fitted with a Brite-Lite burner. ::Neil::
Thanks for your help Neil.
Mike
ICCC #2030
Coleman Blues 243's #171
275 syndicate #0429
Jeepstircrazy
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Jeepstircrazy »

I saw that on the bay. I think the shade ring with valve shaft incorporated was a fantastic idea and wonder why it wasn't used by others manufacturers. Nice grab, fount cracked or not IMO.
Wayne signing off...

What's the lowest you'll take for this lantern?                                                

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

Proud to be an American! Let’s keep it the “ Land of the Free”!
hikerduane
Super Colemanaholic

Post by hikerduane »

One of my lamps has that shaped fount, not sure who made it. You're like me, I usually bid then notice issues later or features.
Duane
Duane-All seasons, year round backpacker and camper.  So many stoves and lanterns, who's counting.
mksmth
Super Colemanaholic

Post by mksmth »

Jeepstircrazy wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:47 pm I saw that on the bay. I think the shade ring with valve shaft incorporated was a fantastic idea and wonder why it wasn't used by others manufacturers. Nice grab, fount cracked or not IMO.
It's has a 3rd arm for the shade but it's broken. I'm not sure if the valve shaft would work as a support or not but I would be an interesting way to do it.
hikerduane wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:51 pm One of my lamps has that shaped fount, not sure who made it. You're like me, I usually bid then notice issues later or features.
Duane
Usually how it goes isn't it. I get all wrapped up in the excitement of trying to win and forget to do my research.
Mike
ICCC #2030
Coleman Blues 243's #171
275 syndicate #0429
hikerduane
Super Colemanaholic

Post by hikerduane »

Can't go off of the sellers description, that was how I won a early 243A instead of it being a 243. I now have a 243, early 243A and a 243A. All run great.
Duane
Duane-All seasons, year round backpacker and camper.  So many stoves and lanterns, who's counting.
Rfieldbuilds
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Rfieldbuilds »

PM sent.
Randy
QL #15, Slant Saver #59, #0269 Turd Hurdler, #0269 Mil Spec Syndicate, Coleman Blues 243 #0269, BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #072, Sears Traveler 2.0 Host #1, and a few others too.