Coleman lanterns in the movies

Meet and greet members, general topics, show your stuff, recent/weekend finds.
Vintageish
Serious Colemanaholic

Re: Coleman lanterns in the movies

Post by Vintageish »

TSPORT wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:05 pm Not the movies but Coleman. Caught this stove on an episode of Hoarders yesterday. Season 3 Episode 15 “Andrew and Shania”. House not livable so Andrew does his cooking outside on his Coleman 425. Probably the only guy in Manhattan doing so. He was pumping it up pretty good at the beginning of the scene.

I just noticed the auxiliary burner valve and tank are reversed in the show. Either this is a special Great Britain export version stove or the production company got the film reversed :D

The elusive left handed stove!!!! l.o.l..

Good catch.
Purty colors. Well , cept'n maybe that brown when it's on fire...
ecblanks
Super Colemanaholic

Post by ecblanks »

Band of Brothers, from the "Bastogne" episode. I find it interesting that they show an M1942 instead of a 520/M1941, but I don't guess it's technically "incorrect". I certainly wasn't there :D

Carlton
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate # 0176
Slant Saver #29
Mil-Spec Ops #0973
ICCC Member #1892 (expired)
ecblanks
Super Colemanaholic

Post by ecblanks »

Now here's the 520 in Fury. He took the pot off and it had a high yellow flame going.

Carlton
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate # 0176
Slant Saver #29
Mil-Spec Ops #0973
ICCC Member #1892 (expired)
M114171

Post by M114171 »

The TV movie whence originated "The Waltons" was called "The Homecoming: A Christmas Story." It was set in the early 1930's but in one scene they use an all red 200A for navigating to the general store at night.
Matt
Up to Light

Post by Up to Light »

Grumpy Old Men movie
BSAGuy
Super Colemanaholic

Post by BSAGuy »

Million Dolar Mermaid 1952 -

Watched it last night on TCM. Esther Williams, Walter Pidgeon, Victor Mature, Jesse White (later the Maytag repairman). Scene about 34 minutes into the movie where Esther Williams' character is resting after a 26 mile swim in the Thames has 2 lanterns inside the room and one outside. Victor Mature uses the pump handle to turn the lantern "off" when he leaves the room.
- Courtenay
Be Prepared
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

Courtenay,

Good catch and thanks for posting that detail so I could try to track it down. Not the best picture quality, but this pic shows Victor Mature's hand approaching the pump to shut it off. :)

-Jim

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?

Invest now, or you'll miss your chance to lose everything!
stickandrudder

Post by stickandrudder »

I just found it on YouTube! Now that’s funny
Jared

ICCC # 1885
BSAGuy
Super Colemanaholic

Post by BSAGuy »

Attack! on TCM.

About 1:10 into the movie. Long scene in the command post with Coleman lantern prominently display to right of frame.

Attack!, is a 1956 American war film directed by Robert Aldrich and starring Jack Palance, Eddie Albert, Lee Marvin, William Smithers, Robert Strauss, Richard Jaeckel, Buddy Ebsen and Peter van Eyck. The cinematographer was Joseph Biroc.

"A cynical and grim account of war" the film is set in the latter stages of World War II and tells the story of a front-line combat unit led by a cowardly captain clearly out of his depth, as well as a tougher subordinate and an executive officer who both threaten to do away with him. As the official trailer put it: "Not every gun is pointed at the enemy!"

Also interesting because many of these guys (and we can assume many of the crew) were WII combat veterans.
- Courtenay
Be Prepared
TSPORT
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by TSPORT »

Watching The Great Raid on TV right now. Several scenes with lanterns. WWII flick about rescuing POWs in the Philippines. Was only able to get this pic.
Last edited by TSPORT on Tue May 31, 2022 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Partial to single mantles & backpacking stoves (liquid fuel, of course!)
Paddywonka
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Paddywonka »

Good eye!
“Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. If it was easy, anyone could do it. Hard is what makes it great.”
"If they live long enough, old dogs collect the most bones"
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

OK, not a Coleman lantern, but rather a center draft wickie. I know we have several wickie fans here, including fans of center draft lamps. I don't recall ever seeing an obvious center draft in a western until this one. By that, I mean the electrified ones have the electric cords hidden well.

In this episode, you can see Matt remove the chimney and light the wick on two sides. This is from the episode "General Parsley Smith", season 1,episode 11.

The episode is on youtube at 22:20 here:
-Jim

Pancholoco1911
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Pancholoco1911 »

The rifleman
~Pancho~ :cf_howdyhat:

ICCC MEMBER #: 1993

Coleman Blues 243's #163.
Mcnairy

Post by Mcnairy »

Awesome poncho. The ultimate Frank, that's just cool. It has a built-in rollbar!
Milspec Ops #0967
Sears, Milspec Lanterns and , Single 🔥 stoves, and of course 427's

Gary
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

Pancho,

Where did you find that pic? I've found some, but they're all dark and no detail shows like that.

That happens to be an excellent episode entitled "Stopover". Based on what we know now, I can't help but wonder if they used asbestos flakes for the snow.
-Jim

TSPORT
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by TSPORT »

Spotted a lantern in Saving Private Ryan yesterday and also a great shot of a nickel 520 stove in a documentary on PBS about Merrill’s Marauders. Couldn’t get a picture though for the forum.
Steve
Pancholoco1911
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Pancholoco1911 »

JimL wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 7:15 pm Pancho,

Where did you find that pic? I've found some, but they're all dark and no detail shows like that.

That happens to be an excellent episode entitled "Stopover". Based on what we know now, I can't help but wonder if they used asbestos flakes for the snow.
Facebook “the rifleman”

JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

Thanks.

If you're a fan of the show, the Pluto app has a channel dedicated to The Rifleman with episodes running 24 hours per day.
-Jim

TSPORT
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by TSPORT »

TSPORT wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 7:32 pm Spotted a lantern in Saving Private Ryan yesterday and also a great shot of a nickel 520 stove in a documentary on PBS about Merrill’s Marauders. Couldn’t get a picture though for the forum.
Update: Found the show online, was able to get a screenshot of the stove.

Steve
Pancholoco1911
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Pancholoco1911 »

JimL wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 9:25 pm Thanks.

If you're a fan of the show, the Pluto app has a channel dedicated to The Rifleman with episodes running 24 hours per day.
Vizio TV has a “free TV” channels too and “The Riflemen” channel it’s there

Thanks for the heads up

stickandrudder

Post by stickandrudder »

I found that rifleman episode on YouTube. Also saw some hot blast lanterns and maybe a 327? I wonder if they were just grabbing stuff out of bins to use on set or if they wanted those frankies specifically. I love that show.
Jared

ICCC # 1885
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

Jared,

There are two Rifleman episodes I'm aware of with Coleman lanterns. The first is Stopover, which is what Pancho's picture shows. In that episode, there's also a 220 in the back of a wagon, but only the top section of it is showing. There was no smiling in that episode, so I suspect that was a promo picture since it was supposedly all taking place during a blizzard at night. There were no bright images like that in the episode until daylight the next day. The other episode is the Lost Treasure of Canyon town. In this latter one, they added a flared out base to the 200A that Lucas carried.

I find that in the old western series, hot blast were the primary wickies. Cold blast lanterns were granted a patent in 1873, so at least those are period correct as most westerns appear to be set from the 1860's to 1880's, with The Rifleman set in the 1880's. I don't recall seeing a 327in The Rifleman, but could certainly have missed it.
-Jim

stickandrudder

Post by stickandrudder »

JimL wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:08 pm Jared,

There are two Rifleman episodes I'm aware of with Coleman lanterns. The first is Stopover, which is what Pancho's picture shows. In that episode, there's also a 220 in the back of a wagon, but only the top section of it is showing. There was no smiling in that episode, so I suspect that was a promo picture since it was supposedly all taking place during a blizzard at night. There were no bright images like that in the episode until daylight the next day. The other episode is the Lost Treasure of Canyon town. In this latter one, they added a flared out base to the 200A that Lucas carried.

I find that in the old western series, hot blast were the primary wickies. Cold blast lanterns were granted a patent in 1873, so at least those are period correct as most westerns appear to be set from the 1860's to 1880's, with The Rifleman set in the 1880's. I don't recall seeing a 327in The Rifleman, but could certainly have missed it.
I’m going to watch that other episode now! And you’re right I went back and paused on it and it’s a 220. Funny the promo shot, super cool pancho found that.
Jared

ICCC # 1885
Stovie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Stovie »

From the Frankenstein movie. The Monster has thrown Dr. Frankenstein off the windmill.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It is sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues
BSAGuy
Super Colemanaholic

Post by BSAGuy »

Young Frankenstein - When Frederick and Igor go to the graveyard to find a body.

Wickie used by the grave diggers + another that Igor carries to illuminate their grisly expedition.

- Courtenay
Be Prepared
BSAGuy
Super Colemanaholic

Post by BSAGuy »

Guns of the Timberland - Cheesy 1960 Western with Frankie Avalon (yes, that's not a typo!). Scene about 40 minutes into the movie of Alan Ladd and Gilbert Roland in their tent has a hot blast wickie in it.
- Courtenay
Be Prepared
Stovie
Super Colemanaholic

Coleman stoves in the movies

Post by Stovie »

OK, not a lantern - but it's a Coleman! 16 July 1969 Cape Kennedy, Florida, many thousands camping to witness the launch of Apollo 11 Astronauts Aldrin, Armstrong, Collins on their historic expedition to the Moon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It is sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues
Barrett
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Barrett »

^^ sweet^^
Love that he brought a table cloth for the occasion:)
Andrew

Living and learning in NZ
Hoping to reach cognitive and emotional maturity before my children do.
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

Don't know if anyone has got this yet, and not Coleman, But Tilley:

Jurassic World Dominion trailer.
It's priceless until someone puts a price on it.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Texan's last words: "Y'all--hold my beer--I wanta' try sumptin'."
Timm--Middle of nowhere, near the end of the road, Oregon.
Trout
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Trout »

I just finished watching this on Youtube:
Tunisian Victory 1944 was a joint American/British documentary put together with film shot by combat camera crews.
Mike
If a man made it, a man can fix it - My Father
ICCC 1473

BSAGuy
Super Colemanaholic

Post by BSAGuy »

Watching A-Team rerun on MeTv. Episode called "The Battle of Bel Air" from 1/1/84. Opening scene is in some type of sporting goods store and Face crawls out of a dome tent with a red 200A hanging outside.
- Courtenay
Be Prepared
philellis

Post by philellis »

My 18 mo granddaughter loves Mickey and Minnie, spotted this in one of her episodes. :lol: :lol: Has to be a 200a :lol:

Phil
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

>>Watching A-Team rerun on MeTv. Episode called "The Battle of Bel Air" from 1/1/84. Opening scene is in some type of sporting goods store and Face crawls out of a dome tent with a red 200A hanging outside.

And propane ones on the shelf a little earlier.

-Jim

Rustytank
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Rustytank »

Netflix Snowflake Island has a bunch of electrocuted Tilleys that makes me sad...
Call me Rusty
Coleman Blues 243's #175
Sunflame appreciation club #2
275 Appreciation Syndicate #0245
Looking for birthday lanterns 11/58, 3/68, 3/73, 6/85, 11/96, 6/97, 11/97, 12/00

Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. - Psalm 119:105.
10gage
Super Colemanaholic

Post by 10gage »

New stranger things started again today. Sorry most of my childhood was during this time. Quite frankly it’s probably the last decades of true American pride. It’s not the kerosene but the cans on the shelf

James gage sizemore
milspec syndicate #1941
slant savers #68
quicklite crew#43
Coleman blues 243s #167
Flyboyfwa
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Flyboyfwa »

BSAGuy wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 11:15 pm Attack! on TCM.

About 1:10 into the movie. Long scene in the command post with Coleman lantern prominently display to right of frame.

Attack!, is a 1956 American war film directed by Robert Aldrich and starring Jack Palance, Eddie Albert, Lee Marvin, William Smithers, Robert Strauss, Richard Jaeckel, Buddy Ebsen and Peter van Eyck. The cinematographer was Joseph Biroc.

"A cynical and grim account of war" the film is set in the latter stages of World War II and tells the story of a front-line combat unit led by a cowardly captain clearly out of his depth, as well as a tougher subordinate and an executive officer who both threaten to do away with him. As the official trailer put it: "Not every gun is pointed at the enemy!"

Also interesting because many of these guys (and we can assume many of the crew) were WII combat veterans.
I just watched that one too. Here you go.
Andy
Mil-Spec Ops #199
Coleman Slant Saver #54
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #06
275 Appreciation Syndicate #1970
The Coleman Blues 243's #159

ICCC #1741
BSAGuy
Super Colemanaholic

Post by BSAGuy »

JimL wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:36 pm >>Watching A-Team rerun on MeTv. Episode called "The Battle of Bel Air" from 1/1/84. Opening scene is in some type of sporting goods store and Face crawls out of a dome tent with a red 200A hanging outside.

And propane ones on the shelf a little earlier.

Nice grab, Jim. Thanks!
- Courtenay
Be Prepared
BSAGuy
Super Colemanaholic

Post by BSAGuy »

Ok. Here is a really obscure one -

Bomba The Jungle Boy. Featured Johnny Sheffield in the title role. Us oldsters will remember him as "Boy" from the Johnny Weissmuller Tarzan movies.

About 20 minutes into the movie. Tent scene.

Sorry, Imgur seems unable to show me image right now. I'll add that link later.
- Courtenay
Be Prepared
Mlkimmel92

Post by Mlkimmel92 »

Watched "The Monuments Men" with my family last night. Loaded with art work...and lanterns! Here is Bill Murray's character holding a MILSPEC, but there are a few other lantern types used too. Maybe an Akron? I'll have to watch a few more times to be sure.
"That smell! That Coleman Fuel and bacon smell! I love the smell of outdoor camping in the morning. It's the smell of...VICTORY."
-Matt-
ICCC #2054
sackettboys

Post by sackettboys »

The turd get's it 15 minutes of fame in John Carpenter's 1982 remake of "The Thing".

Tigerfans2
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tigerfans2 »

200 "In Harms Way"

In case it hadn't been mentioned before
Coleman Slant Saver #58
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #8
Coleman Blues 243's #16

Mike
TSPORT
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by TSPORT »

sackettboys wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:10 pm The turd get's it 15 minutes of fame in John Carpenter's 1982 remake of "The Thing".
This is the first I have seen of a 275 in this thread. Good catch!
(There is a previous mention of it back in October of 2015 for same movie but no picture)
Steve
TSPORT
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by TSPORT »

Just caught this on TV in the ending scene of 1945 flick “Voice of the Whistler”.
A 242 maybe?

Steve
Trout
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Trout »

It's a bit blurry but the bail shape is closer to maybe an AGM 3016. I watch a lot of 30s and 40s movies on youtube, I'll have to look that one up. The title interests me. :)
Mike
If a man made it, a man can fix it - My Father
ICCC 1473

Marmock

Post by Marmock »

Dr Who
Mister_Wilson
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Mister_Wilson »

Trout wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:17 pm It's a bit blurry but the bail shape is closer to maybe an AGM 3016. I watch a lot of 30s and 40s movies on youtube, I'll have to look that one up. The title interests me. :)
I'm thinking AGM also. The fount is too big for a 242, and yes, the bail shape. Good catch Steve.
John
H.C. Lanterns dealer
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #2001 A Turd's Odyssey
Canadian Blues #028
Coleman Slant Saver #31
Looking for my 6-56 Birthday lantern, anything 6-56!
There's been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about.
TSPORT
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by TSPORT »

Trout wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:17 pm It's a bit blurry but the bail shape is closer to maybe an AGM 3016. I watch a lot of 30s and 40s movies on youtube, I'll have to look that one up. The title interests me. :)
It’s on YouTube. The lantern is shown in the last minute or so before the credits.
Steve