What did you do in your shop today?

Meet and greet members, general topics, show your stuff, recent/weekend finds.
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

Post by SteveRetherford »

i have one of these friction drive scooters :-) haven't ridden it in a wile thou . when i first got it i thought something was wrong with it as it would barley move , untill i found out the tire pressure # is critical for proper friction/function , then off i went LOL i have posted pics of it back when i got it . i think mine has a regular spindle .

my beard parted down the middle looked like handle bars in the wind :-)
[DrSteve2]    Steve , Keeper of the Light !!!
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

We have a problem with CO2 levels in our fermenter hall. I've been building a prototype trap to separate the gas form the liquids that blow off of the fermenters during high Krausen.

Here's my hastily-scrawled-on-the-back-of-an-envelope blueprint:

And the prototype, doing its thing:

If I open the drum , CO2 in the hall jumps to >3,000 ppm. With the drum closed and the CO2 out hose led out a window, CO2 is <800 ppm.

The foam on the floor is because the CO2 out line was too small--3/4".Backpressure from the under-sized line forced the liquids out of the bottom of the drum, defeating the "lock". I increased the dia. of the line to 1 1/4", and now it's working great.
It's priceless until someone puts a price on it.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Texan's last words: "Y'all--hold my beer--I wanta' try sumptin'."
Timm--Middle of nowhere, near the end of the road, Oregon.
VincentMechanic31
Colemanaholic

Post by VincentMechanic31 »

"We determine the level of carbonation of our beer using a Pressure/Temperature chart, rather than measuring the CO2 directly."

Are there different temps and pressures for all the different brews? Are you trying to hit a specific number or is there a range?

I'm learning a lot about brewing as Amy is moving in and for a wedding present I am getting her a kegging set up. She's a fine home
brewer but all these bottles take up way too much space. Between the beer bottles and the mason jars for canning everything from the garden the garage is starting to look like a glass factory.

Speaking of the garden, and this is the right string to post it in anyway, finally got the cold frame and counterbalances installed. 22lbs of sand in each homemade sandbag. Amy is sewing up some canvas covers so the bags won't look so ugly, will swap out the carabiners for screw links tonight. I needed something to create the side and back of the frames- found an old dashboard sun reflector that worked perfectly. Those things are basically bubble wrap coated with mylar so when you cut it it goes "pop pop pop!" - super fun.

IMG_8474.jpg IMG_8475.jpg IMG_8476.jpg

"We are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anyone tell you any different" -Kurt Vonnegut 

- VincentMechanic31 (Vince) 
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

Vincent: The pressure/temperature chart reflects how much CO2 can be in solution at a given temperature. Basically, the beer is contained in a pressure vessel, shook vigorously for a couple of minutes, and then the temp and pressure are read. Comparing these numbers to a P/T chart will give you the level of carbonation, usually stated as Volumes/Volumes--that is, volumes of CO2 per volumes of beer. Different beers have different typical levels of carbonation, but for most uses, somewhere between 2.5-2.6 V/V is good (2.5 V/V would be 2.5 liters (or whatever volume measure you like) CO2 in solution per liter of beer). For a pub tap system, these levels will work with the typical pressures and restrictions used.

We use a device called a Zahm and Nagel series 1000 carbonation tester. It uses the P/T method and costs about $1,400 with a wait of about a year to get one. You can also make a keg head (coupler or tap) with a pressure gauge and use the temp of the room where the beer is stored and the pressure in the keg after a week or so of sitting. This and a P/T chart (DL from the webby) will get you in the ball park.

Fer really accurate and fast measurement of carbonation, you an get actual CO2 meters--for around $10K+.

Most home brewers use a "perceptive" method for testing carbonation--taste the beer and see if you like it. For selling kegs, this isn't good enough, but if they are for you and yours, it good enough.

Here's a little something I found searching the webby thing: https://www.kegerators.com/articles/carbonation-table-pressure-chart/
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

Nice lookin' cold frames!

I hope some of the glass in your "glass factory" says Coleman on it!
outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

Sunday before last and this past Saturday I worked on my DD rig's lights - Cornering lights on the front bumper and replacing the old 7"rounds with Halogen housing with LED Halo DRLs.

Mounted and wired in cornering lights on the DD rig. I also replaced the manual backup light switch with a 2 way for daytime driving lights and included LED indicators.

The light pods are old ones I got at a yard sale and have glass lenses with a bit of a frensel? They may be old ones off a motorcycle?

Cornering light off.jpg

Cornering light on.jpg

I still need to get some small rubber tubing and cover the edge of the aluminum.

Switch.jpg

I finished installing the Halogen/LED DRL's Saturday in the DD rig and wired in the relay harness, all except the control diodes for cutting them off automatically when the regular headlights are on. I need to get more heavy duty diodes for that. But its functional manually!

I will say I'm less than impressed with the intensity of the "halo" LEDs in the 7" halogen housings. These were off Eprey. (full ring LED's)

No Flash:

DRL1.jpg

With Flash:

DRL2.jpg
[Logo%20Outlaw-half] 
Coleman Blue's 243's #341 - 275 Appreciation Syndicate member 0242
FAS #001 Confusing Future Generations of Collectors, One Lantern at a Time!

“A Human Being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, give orders, take orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook  a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.  Specialization is for insects.”            - Lazarus Long

Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

Outlaw: The "halo lights" are DDLs--Daylight Driving Lights. Not meant to cast a beam.

I replaced my Vanagon HLs with some simple drop-in LED 7 1/2" rounds--knock-offs of the GE NightHawks--a couple of years ago. Love 'em.
outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

I know that Timm, but these are pretty dim in full daylight. Sort of a blue grey, vs the intense white I usually see...

[Logo%20Outlaw-half] 

“A Human Being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, give orders, take orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook  a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.  Specialization is for insects.”            - Lazarus Long

74HARLEY
Super Colemanaholic

Post by 74HARLEY »

This past week one of my old wreckers number came up for an upgrade, she is getting a wheel lift this time. Next will be the new motor and a cab upgrade ( they're in the shop waiting already).
Joe
looking for 200a 11-56,9-77,2-65 Coleman 275 appreciation syndicate member #0004 ICCC #1262
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #19
Frank appreciation syndicate member #9
Deanofid

Post by Deanofid »

Ahhhhhh! Another day in the shop, right after my first cardiac rehab therapy session. The rehab reminds me of just how much I love working in the shop! [rofl]

This day's work brought to you by Reese, or as we know him, Cottage_hill_bill.
Reese needed the mating surfaces on some HGP generator fittings resurfaced, so he sent them my way.

1.jpg
Here's all the setup stuff done to get one of these things ready for a quick snip-n-cut. Just keep spinning the four jaw chuck and tapping the fitting with a rubber hammer or tightening/loosening jaws until you have the spigot part that needs cutting reading "zero" on the dial indicator.

2.jpg
Not very good close up shot of the part that needs work, but I think you can make out the scored surface on the bevel that seats this part onto the fuel line fitting for the Handy Gas Plant. That part needs to be smooth.

3.jpg
And here we go with the compound slide and a good sharp tool bit. Cut-cut-cut...
Then put in another piece and do it again.

4.jpg
Time for your close-up!

5.jpg
And that's it. Four freshened up thingamajigs for Reese to offer up to his HGPs.

Dean
Dean -Midnight Kerosene Ritualist--Deans Machine:  Deansmachine.com  
ICCC #1220.   275 commiseration #0018.
"In Him was life, and His life was the Light of men."  John 1:4
Cottage_hill_bill
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Cottage_hill_bill »

Fantastic Dean. Three HGPs and a water heater will be very greatful.
Reese
North West Florida

Reese’s Law of Thermodynamics:  At temperatures below incandescence hot metal looks exactly like cold metal.

pateco

Post by pateco »

My youngest son and I redid my eldest sons room, Emptying it of furniture and stuff, removing the old carpeting, patching the walls, repainting, and installing a new floor. We wanted to get it done before he comes home from college for Thanksgiving.
2018-11-11 13-1000.jpg

2018-11-11 22-1000.jpg
Life is a Beach

BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #049
uvarmint
Colemanaholic

Post by uvarmint »

Nice. He’ll remember that forever.
uvarmint
Colemanaholic

Post by uvarmint »

I’ve been working on reproducing my fount vise.
I start with a 13 11/16 x 11 1/4 x 3/4 Baltic Birch. It’s ridiculously stable with 13 plies.

Then I add two side cleats 1 11/16 by 11 1/4.

Followed by a back cleat same width cut to fit flush with the side cleats

Then I cut the top capture plates.

Drill em and countersink for a #8 screw

Then I glue and screw with brass screws. The brass screws really aren’t necessary, but I think they give a nice look and pay homage to the reason Coleman lanterns are so durable and restorable. Lots of brass!

Now we have the hole. Pretty soon we’ll fill the hole.

Next we put a radius on the outside corners for safety and good looks.

Now for the meat of the sandwich. I cut a plate of 10 1/4 x 11 3/4 and mark it out.

Lastly I cut, drill, and sand it to fit. This holds a 220 fount secure enough to do any wrenching that needs to happen.

Put it all together!

I put my bottom cleat on vertically because I have a nice tail vise on my workbench. I realize not many people have a workbench like this, and the ones that do have the skills to make this by themselves.

But I can just as easily put the bottom cleat on horizontally and it would fit perfectly on a workmate.

I’m hopeful I can make the upcoming Madison WI get together at Jerry’s. I’ll demonstrate them there.

I’ve been using my original prototype for over a year and it holds founts very securely. You’ll find that you’d use it for more than just wrenching tough valves.

It’s pleasure to have with simple things too like stuck caps, check valves, even stuck vent nuts.

I’ve made a plate for a 242, 200, 275, kamplite, and AGM 3016. I’ve been meaning to make one for a stinker of a 530, and this design will also accommodate a plate for a CQ.
25_502s
Super Colemanaholic

Post by 25_502s »

Wow!! Now that would be handy.
Jason
not looking for any more Bday gpas. Honestly, if you have a 10-72 don’t let me know about it.
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0214
Coleman Slant Saver #56
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #31
CrimsonCruiser

Post by CrimsonCruiser »

New hobby.... Pen making. Made a EDC (Every Day Carry) pen. Aluminum and Brass with a compact Cross Pen Insert. Cap flips around and screws in to double the size. Fits perfectly in my pants pocket and you don't stab yourself like a normal pen.

Not overly hard to make just need to figure out the sequence of events and exact size and depth of the bores/drilling.

Mike
IMG_5565.jpg

IMG_5566.jpg
IMG_5567.jpg
Mike F
"Getting information off the Internet is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant"
brokenmantle
Super Colemanaholic

Post by brokenmantle »

painting a little wood porch table to go with 2 white adirondack chairs.
outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

Nice work OVM!

I needed a piece of hardware I could not find anywhere, so I made it. Its for a folding arm rest I'm adding to my DD rig, Folding because its a bit in the way if I'm doing a lot of maneuvering (like on mountain and Dirt roads) if it cant fold down out of the say.

What I needed was an elbow style support that was very short... I could not find one so I bought a brass flat bar 1/4" wide an made it. Three pieces: two for the elbow, and one for the bracket. (one end will get screwed directly into the arm rest)

So last night, I cut to length, rounded the ends, drilled and then tapped for 4-40 screws. This brass is pretty soft so I had to go real slow so I would not break the tap. The last bit was counter sinking three of the holes so the screws are flush. I also had to use a center punch and a heavy hammer to punch a raised spot (through the brass) that mates with a hole for a lock.

Tapping:

Tapping.jpg

The mini drill press I used for the small tap and clearance drills 0-10K rpm)

DP.jpg

and the semi finished product. I still need to do some "finish" work, but its operational. It looks a bit skewed in the pic, but that's the angle its laying at.

Almost done.jpg

and the semi finished product. I still need to do some "finish" work, but its operational
[Logo%20Outlaw-half] 

Deanofid

Post by Deanofid »

Some neat projects, guys! I like that fount vise setup, Steve.

Also, the "EDC" pen from Mike. Nice and compact. Looks good!

Chip, what a nice surprise for your son when he comes home. A whole new bedroom. What a good family project!

MW, a nice job on those brass brackets. I like that small drill press. Is it a factory item, or did you make it? I haven't seen one like it.
Dean -Midnight Kerosene Ritualist--Deans Machine:  Deansmachine.com  
ICCC #1220.   275 commiseration #0018.
"In Him was life, and His life was the Light of men."  John 1:4
Rebelreck

Post by Rebelreck »

I tried to light My 200A. It was not having anything to do with lighting at all. My garage is cold, not as cold as outside. It's 19 F outside. Nothing freezes in the garage, but it gets fairly cold. I didn't try to light anything else, it was a long day at My part-time job today.
I have seen the LIGHT!!! I'm a Man, I can change, if I have too, I guess!!!
outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

Thanks Dean!

The DP is factory made. I've seen similar small high speed DP's, generally used for drilling prototype printed circuit boards (but could be used for any really small work), but not this particular brand, which is Electro-Mechano.

It's actually the first DP I ever bought when still in my late teens. a buddy knew someone had a DP for sale and when we got there id was this tiny thing. He wanted $50 for it and if a full size, DP I thought that a good deal. when I saw it was this tiny thing I said I wasn't really interested but offered $20. He took it! I don't need it often, but when working with the smaller number size drills its very useful.
[Logo%20Outlaw-half] 

Cottage_hill_bill
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Cottage_hill_bill »

I finally got to put Dean's work to work. (See post 512 in this thread). First light up of my first HGP after a FTR (factory thorough refurbishment).

Thanks Dean, one down and three to go.
Heatmaster.jpg
Reese
North West Florida

Reese’s Law of Thermodynamics:  At temperatures below incandescence hot metal looks exactly like cold metal.

rob_pontius
Super Colemanaholic

Post by rob_pontius »

That's one nice looking 457. I have 4 457's, 2 460's, and a 458 that need my attention. Hopefully they turn out as nice as that one.
Rob
KSCC

Post by KSCC »

Cottage_hill_bill wrote: I finally got to put Dean's work to work. (See post 512 in this thread). First light up of my first HGP after a FTR (factory thorough refurbishment).

Thanks Dean, one down and three to go.
Heatmaster.jpg
That is beautiful! I would like to see more pictures
Keith
outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

I finished CF Fill tank Version 4.0! I needed a couple of pump parts and was able to get them from Greg! (Gand28 - Thanks again Greg!)

The evolution of this goes like this: I wanted a more convenient way to fill GPA's (even before I joined CCF!) and had a 3 gallon outboard boat motor separate fuel tank kicking around. It was a single hose tank and all I needed was a way to pressurize it a tiny bit to kick start a siphon (assuming the GPA was below the tanks fuel level; pretty east to accomplish), I wanted to not have to use an electric pump.

So I drilled and tapped the aluminum block that the Pickup is in and used a 1/8" pipe thread Schrader valve. I had a pump for pressurizing gas shocks, and that was added to give pressure. this pump is SLOW due to the small diameter which is good as that same small dia allows significant pressure from a hand pump! Five or six pumps and the siphon is going.

The hose was replaced, with new clear fuel line (turned yellow almost immediately), and a "fill valve" cobbled up. (an old brass petcock I refurbished)

It works great!

CF Fuel Station V 1.0:

CF Fill tank V1.0.jpg

It works great and I use it all the time at home and used to take it camping. But the size and weight (when full) was more than needed for most trips. (TINY Samurai 4x4 rig...).

So what I wanted was something maybe half the size; a gallon, maybe a bit more was all I needed for a week long trip if I started full. Over the past year or two I'd picked up bits and pieces for a couple of different versions. What I WANTED was a self contained unit with the pump built in. I got a rusty/pinholed Canadian (for the brass body) 200 fount free from Cigar Mike, on the promise no repair attempts would be made. (Thanks again Mike!) I cut the rusted bottom out of that one out.

A buddy had salvaged a brass P-W Stove tank of about a gallon that was OK; the tank was sound, but it had already been butchered a bit. I cut the crimped end of that out. (I believe this part was posted here earlier in the thread). Then had poor results soldering the two together with two tries. (a segment kept cracking on me...) It got parked.

Enter an alternative tank I'd picked up at auction: an old (60's) aircraft fire extinguisher. With minimal mods I got it hooked up with a hose, and fill valve, and it pressure tested like a dream. It was rated 1 gallon, but when I tried filling it it was a good cup short. I took it hunting anyway, as CF Fill station V2.0. On the first try actually using it, it did NOT want to give fuel! I hand pumped it with a bike pump as HARD as I could and it dribbled.

I finally used an electric air pump and got real pressure into it and it worked good after that, but it was disappointing in the capacity and the high pressure needed... (It's Volume SHOULD have been 1-1/2 gallons, but the "Fill neck" goes down inside to stop that...)

Enter a K-D brake bleeder tank I'd picked up at the SAME Auction. With one mod I got it cleaned out and pressure tested, and plumbed for hose and fill valve. Up at Mt Diablo it worked GREAT! BUT; its still only barely a gallon capacity...

CF Fill Station V2.0 and 3.0 (right to left) V3.0 has since been painted a nice Chevy Orange...

V2.0 has a "safety valve" as I didn't trust the pin on the grip handle to secure that valve and the fill valve is too easily bumped open. The tank is a hassle to relive the pressure on also.

Refuel Tanks No 2 & 3.jpg

KD tank done.jpg

So I'm still short of goal for a self contained pump and > 1 gallon capacity: I went back to the 200/P-W tank, soldered it (again) cleaned and cleaned and cleaned and haded the parts to an old school radiator shop for the soldering (the have better solder setups than I do) and this time it soldered up nice, and pressure tested flawlessly.

Enter the parts from Greg: The 200 fount had been stripped of all loose parts, so I got the air needle and pump and pump cover screws from Greg. These came in today.

tonight after work I assembled the pump and its DONE! I'd already filed it with water, flushing it out to get any solder debris out, then with alcohol, several times, and then blew it out with the the exhaust from my shop vac to dry it.

And here is is ready to fill!

CF Fill tank V 4.0.jpg

And a mock Fill shot:

CF Fill tank V 4.0 -Mockup.jpg

I cannibalized the hose and fill valve off V2.0 since that had so many issues. It will get cleaned out and converted to a 1 gallon water extinguisher...

This tank and a frank I'm planning using the 275 fount above, as well as a 502 stove, will get a wood box made up to carry them.

[Logo%20Outlaw-half] 

DougA
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by DougA »

I continue to be amazed by the ingenuity and advanced skill level of everyone posting in this thread. It makes my very meager skills in various areas look paltry and amateurish in comparison.

Witnesseth: Last night I built two saw horses to store some antique outboard motors. Not a lot of skill involved here, [wink]

The outboards are Johnsons, a pair of 1939 AT-10s and a pair of late-40s TD-20s. One of each pictured below, the AT-10 is the silver one, the TD-20 is the green one. Both are 5 HP. We've had the AT-10s "forever," my dad and uncle picked them up I think from their outboard motor service guy. The one in the picture runs, the other is seized and was at the time of my dad's purchase. It was bought "for parts" for the other one. I had a friend who is into cars and engines and etc. look at them because I thought the water pump in the working AT-10 wasn't working and thought he could diagnose, if not repair, the seized one. He had them for over 10 years and never did much with them and gave them back to me a few weeks ago, along with a pair of TD-20s that he had acquired somewhere along the way. Both TD-20s turn over, and feel like they have decent compression, though the recoil on the one isn't recoiling and is missing its prop, and also doesn't turn on its shaft, so it needs some attention.

So, something more to putter with in the shop. I am looking forward to trying out the AT-10 again, my friend says the water pump is just fine in it, so we'll see. The TD-20 in the photo looks like it will run without a lot of fuss. They'll be fun to take to the cottage and use on our little 12-ft runabout from time to time.

18122801.jpg
DougA  ... fettler and keeper of a family collection of nickel: a 249, a pair of 237s, and a 1938 228B, along with a late 1979 red 200a.  Then two more turned up, a 1941 243A and a 1944 242C, and now there's a b-day 200A lantern, too!.
Coleman Blues Member #92.
BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #009.
Perfection Heater Collectors #5 
outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

Well this was at the Pinnacle's camp ground "shop" with some of the other CCF members.

I had brought the parts to make my version of the "Picnic Table Frankie" - 275 fount, The rest was 242 (thanks again Greg!) plus a railroad reflector that I had removed the plastic reflective coating from.

I reamed and tapped the tank upside down to try to keep the thread cuttings out of it. This worked well! I tapped slow, and I think it was pass 4 before a test fitting showed about 1-2 threads left at hand tight. after each pass I blew through the filler neck to try to exit any lose cuttings at the tapped hole

The vise was clamped to Randy's upside down cargo tray/rack. I didn't trust the aluminum vise to hold the tap, so I added the Clamp borrowed from Randy:

PT Frank1.jpg
The bushed fount - I measured the depth and had pre-measured the pickup tube to about where it seated in the bushing, and I had maybe an eighth of an inch left un-seated, I called that good!
PT Frank2.jpg

And The valve and burner frame mounted

PT Frank3.jpg
Pressure tested, filled, and test fired without a mantle, then with! Voila! About as easy a frank as it gets!
PT Frank4.jpg

Shown with the reflector and bail on my camp table from "eye height":
24275- picnic table lantern.jpg

And without flash, and no glare from the mantle! I like it! I'll probably paint the fount red, and decide what decal it gets...

So it will finish as a 24275F (frank) "xmas" lantern! (Unless I ever latch onto an aluminum vent, which is what I'd like to have on it...)

24275- action.jpg
[Logo%20Outlaw-half] 

outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

Other repair work: Linus tangled with a "completely broken" AGM. nothing he did would make the pump work (but a pump from another AGM worked...) He finally found the problem! The brass tube of the pump had split near the full length! (sorry for the out of focus pic) There is one split near the whole length, and there were two others shorter... AGM brass... what can you say?

So I was volunteered to try to solder it up! (I was also the only one there with soldering supplies as I had anticipated needing to shorten the pickup tube on the 24275F I asked Linus to anneal the brass tube so it would have a fighting chance, This after I had given the tube a vinegar soak, then again with the vinegar after annealing.

I tried the two smaller cracks first and that seemed to work, I also discovered I could wire brush it hot/molten and not leave mounds of solder that would not fit the pump retainer hole. Then I attacked the long one. I made two passes, wire brushing after each one.

PT2 AGM crack1.jpg

I thought it was still leaking, and then Linus plugged the hole with some tape and the point of a loose valve screw and pronounced it sealed!

Better post soldering pic. (I also learned to trick the auto focus of the the camera. you can pretty well see the crack and it sure doesn't LOOK soldered!

PT2 AGM crack2.jpg

Linus reassembling:
PT2 AGM crack3.jpg

And Victory!
PT2 AGM crack4.jpg
[Logo%20Outlaw-half] 

outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

I got busy and didn't document the latest version pressurized Wash tank. you may recognize the tank as one I'd tried to make up as a fuel fill station, but it was not a happy match with CF. The Schrader valve tends to spit back while adding pressure, so I wasn't happy with that for fuel! Its messy enough with water but that is just water, so until I can get a pretty small one way check valve in 1/8 NPT I can deal with it. I cleaned the residual fuel out and flushed it several times and scraped the "GAS" signs off...

full circle on tank.jpg

Why yet another washing pressure tank? I have a 2-1/2 gallon soda acid extinguisher tank, and a 5 gallon syrup tank both can be heated directly near a fire; I also have made 2 gallon and 1 gallon versions from Hudson sprayers, and those the pumps are self contained. Solar heating only on those! And one other 3 gallon in SS, but it has a plastic base... NONE are easily set on a stove and heated. The 2 big SS versions can and have been, but it takes a lot of time to heat even 2-1/2 gallons...

This one at 1 gallon is NOT top heavy (the other problem with stove heating directly in the tank) while I could use it for a shower, it would be very close... But for daily washing other than 1 gallon goes pretty quick, its great to be able to quickly and easily heat the water to comfortable, and plenty for rinsing soap off!

ready to go.jpg

We used this one up at Pinnacles for after dinner cleanup for two camps. we did all the dirty dishes, utensils, pots and pans and it still had 1/2 gallon left of 1 gallon! I measured it after I got home. It will run for about 4 minutes if just opened up and left...

I discovered that opening the red valve and using the extinguisher lever allowed my to pressingly meter what water I needed for soaping up and rinsing off. For dishes this was GREAT! Very good for washing hands in a 2 person operation also, but for one it would be lock the lever open and use the red valve.

The head setup and assembly is all 1/8 pipe, in the past I generally use 1/4" not necessary as this worked great! the head got my standard spry plate conversion to one I made and drilling 7 holes using a #73 drill. VERY tiny!

The Bead chain holds a key ring that I can use to lock the lever open:

Always on.jpg

Everything stows very neatly too, With the bead chain draped, the wrench for filling stuck over the hanger piece, and the goose neck stuck through the hole and hooked over the valve.

Stowed.jpg

The wrench I had to modify to fit the odd sixed nut: I had this stamped out Hazet 41 X 36 MM wrench that was too big on the open end. I opened it more got some .064X 1/4" brass stock and soldered that into place to size it down. Worked great and I don't have to hassle with 10" water pump pliers or a 15" Crescent!

Wrenxh Mods.jpg

Sunday I "detailed" things on it a bit: I replaced the O ring on the button under the lever as it leaked off and on, And there is a fairly hard plastic washer that seals the flanges under the nut, and it needed reduced in Diameter a shade so it would come out of the treads easier. I also put some Vaseline on the nut threads and that made all the difference in the world opening and closing...

All in all this V6.0 will be great for overnighters, where bringing the big 5 gallon tank is overkill and I want to be sure I have warm to hot washing water!

[Logo%20Outlaw-half] 

Stan_D

Post by Stan_D »

So, along with having no real shop to putter in whilst in this rental house, I also have no model train layout. I don't even have room to do a circle under the Christmas tree. But I do get to set up for about a week on the dining room table. And in doing that this week, I got off my tookus and built four kits I got over a year ago.

[45924552215_6241fdbdf0_z]

I was drawn to the boxcars because I had an uncle who drove for Maine Central. Nice kits from a company that is out of business, E&C Shops, although I did have to supply decent couplers. I prefer passenger over freight, but I don't know why I got the New Haven observation car, other than it was there. And I seem to have developed an interest in caboose's, and this BNSF will make a fine addition. Both of these are out of production Athearn kits. All of these were found at a thrift store.
Einstein, when describing radio said "Wire telegraph is like a very long cat. You pull his tail in NY and he meows in LA. And radio works the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat."
SweetD
Colemanaholic

Post by SweetD »

Not super exciting, but I'm pretty happy I was able to DIY this one...found transmission fluid on the driveway under my daughter's 2012 Forester, uh-oh! Inspection revealed a leak where the tranny cooler hard line met one of the radiator hoses under the motor. Turns out the hard line was corroded and had sprung a pinhole leak (common on this model I guess, just my luck!). Anyway, dealer had the part in stock, and it took me about 2.5 hours to remove and replace. At $118 for the part and clamps, figured I've saved myself some pretty good dough (and time).

Here's a close-up of the offending line, and the old assembly on the garage floor.

20190117_114120.jpg 20190117_114106 (1).jpg

Until the next issue...cheers!
Dave

Here Comes Sunshine
My name is Dave, and I'm in Rhode Island.
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate member #0207
offrink
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by offrink »

Ended up finishing a bookcase. Cut the tree, help mill the wood, wait a couple of years to air dry, plane it, cut it to size, join the boards, sand, finish, and assemble. Wood is from the family farm. It’s cherry wood. 5’ tall and 6’ long. 14” deep shelves spaced 15” apart, true 3/4” thick shelves and 1” thick ends. I don’t know how many hours are into it but it will stay as long as I’m alive.
Ben
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate Member #0035
Looking for B-Day dates of 6/80, 2/84, 3/11, and 12/13
1hpycmpr
Super Colemanaholic

Post by 1hpycmpr »

Nice work, Ben! That’s a beauty.
Mark
*Stargazer*
outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

Beautiful piece! Nice work!
[Logo%20Outlaw-half] 

51plymouth

Post by 51plymouth »

I changed the oil in my pickup today, how exciting!
Dave 
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate member #0125
outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

Just finished cleaning this up today. Got it quite a while back went and got a pair of "Edison" style filament clear LED bulbs for it. good choice as they disappear when off!

Its getting hung in the upstairs landing. its intended to have a longer chain but I'm only using one link to attach it to the ceiling plate. (not shown but nicely ornate)

Once that is hung its one less "modern" lamp left in the house. I'm getting there on using older vintage or antique lighting everywhere in the house, but using modern LED's for the light.

Crystal chandelier.jpg
[Logo%20Outlaw-half] 

outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

Yesterday my son and I hung the lamp in the upstairs landing:

Chryst Chand MS.jpg
That was without flash; this next is with flash, the reality is somewhere in-between:

Chryst Chand MS2.jpg

[Logo%20Outlaw-half] 

outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

Also yesterday and today's project: Fixing one of two busted aluminum tables I picked up for ten bucks:

This was the easy one: only part of a hinge tab got snapped off, the piece was missing so I square of the break, made a replacement section out of Delrin, Epoxied oin place with some reinforcing cloth on both sides and the top. Seems to be holding fine (Abuse broke it to begin with that is clear. This thing sets up easily with NO strain...

The repair:

Roll up table fix.jpg

The stand:

Roll up table Stand.jpg

The full table:

Roll up table setup.jpg

Those white foam pads were probably packing and are actually in the way, and without them the top lays properly flat.

The second one is one slat smaller, and has more battle damage than this one. I think its still salvageable though.
[Logo%20Outlaw-half] 

outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

Kicking this thread back into action:

A week of so ago I re-hafted an interesting hatchet head, that I think should be good for general use, tent stakes, and even pulling them:

I know I've made two tent stake specific driver/pullers, but this one is the best factory head I've seen for driving and pulling stakes without mods...

I also wanted it to have a much longer handle than the ones that are made for this handle eye style. (10" to a foot vs. the 18" handle I picked)

But the first job was getting the junk out of the old busted off handle remnant! this first part is a good lesson of How NOT to tighten a hatchet handle!

First "wedge" I pulled: a Square nail! [headscratch]

1 Nail.jpg

Second was a wood screw! [wtf]

2 screw.jpg

I also pulled a chunk of wood that almost looked like another bit of metal. After that a tap with a punch and most of the remaining wood just fell out:

3 Tap.jpg

I forgot to make any "in process" shots of reshaping the handle for the tapered eye vs. the oval Ball Peen Handle shape the handle started with. this handle was made for the big up to 48 oz. BP hammer heads so the 20 oz hatchet head should be an easy load. A good thing as this particular handle was less that ideal for the heavier heads as the grain was 90 degrees from where it should be...

Here it is shaped and the head well seated. I still need to wedge it but I already tested it. swings well and bites well!

The choppy looking part is actually burn marks from the strip sander re-work. Its actually not too bad.

4 almost done.jpg

I've since done something for a better grip near the end of the handle. I added a slight "hook" from part of a wood driver handle that was split up and I notched it in and glued/screwed it on and blended the shapes together.

another project last night and tonight:

A few weeks ago where I picked up a nice Coleman 242 with the original globe from 1947, where unfortunately the tank was heavily rusted and just shaking the loose crud out a hole opened up in the bottom.

I had a brass fount from a Canadian mod 200 (1961) leftover from another project I went a different way on, and I Frankensteined the two together. the brass fount holds 4 more oz. of fuel, so add at least an hour to the run time.

a1 old and new.jpg

You can see the hole and several more incipient rust holes forming...

I need to finish polishing the brass in a couple of spots, but My hands got tired...

It needed all the usual's - Cap gasket, pump cup, and the check valve cleaned

This is similar to the 24275 I built on the last western Coleman campout at Pinnacles, so 242-200, meet 24275!:

A2 242-75 meet 242-200.jpg

That was last night, tonight I cleaned the check valve and got it holding pressure and viola! Let there be light! And with the original mantle!

Since this is a Frank I set the original 1947 globe aside and gave this a newer one...

242-200 Lit.jpg

[Logo%20Outlaw-half] 

outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

I spent most of the weekend on the new to me Van Project. It's a 32 YO Toyota 4WD mini Van. I got it with deep dish rims and a "roller Skate" look. Hated that and even the slider would not open more than a few inches before hitting the back tire...

I wanted taller than stock tires, for more ground clearance as this will be both my "truck" and camping vehicle. The tires I picked after some research are 10% higher than the "skate tires" and 7% more than factory stock. I'm gaining 3" overall and 1-1/2" of lift plus I changed the rear springs for another 2" of lift - Needed for tire clearance mostly.

I spent Saturday afternoon swapping the stock rear springs in the 87 Toyota 4WD project van for Aerostar springs. I had to cut part of a coil off the bottom to match the bottom cup, and about 1-1/2 of a coil off the top to open the top coli fully and reduce the amount of lift a little.

All told it's about 2" higher, and I'll get another inch and a half from the tires when I get rid of the roller skate wheels. I also get the Aerostar progressive spring rate. it has a softer section and as that compresses, a stronger load section.

I also replaced the stock shocks with Toyota / Blisten TRD Tacoma gas shocks. This compensates for the taller ride.

I'll lift the front using the Torsion bar adjustment screws. I'll still needed to trim the front wells a little.

What I neeed to meat, plus the full Dia at the other end:

Target.jpg

Aerostar spring remnants.:

Remnanta.jpg

Done with the rear lift:

Adter.jpg

The planned Tires:
Planned tires.jpg

Sunday was a LONG day on tires; I had to remove a wheel from the donor sami, dismount the tire (all the old tires went to a neighbor that converted then to raised planters), Prep and paint the rim, replace with the "roller skate" wheels, and do the next...

So some time spent "watching paint dry" -Not really, lots of other things needed done...

On the front I had to trim a corner of the door, and then beat the body corner to match, as well as hammer a seam flange flat and make some space in the back. I got by with less than others have that have done this and I still haven't jacked the front torsion bars up.

Roller skate wheels off!

Off with the old.jpg

All the tire dismounting and mounting was done manually.

Tire tools.jpg

Paining the rims:

Pinting the Sami rims.jpg

Ready to seat the bead:

Ready toi seat.jpg

As soon as my ancient Compressor comes up to pressure - Made this ages ago from parts, the little one lunger is WAY too small for this monster...

Compressor.jpg

The Tire Balancer I use:

Balancer.jpg

So I went from this:

Profile.jpg

To this - I still haven't cranked the Torsion bars, probably needs about an inch?:

And the side door opens and closes no issues!

Almost there.jpg
[Logo%20Outlaw-half] 

greatdane

Post by greatdane »

You people have so many interesting things going on while I've been busy roofing my house.
I really like those special-tools a lot like this plastic-lumb from k4LJH.

from http://www.colemancollectorsforum.com/post/show_single_post?pid=1306019401&postcount=499&forum=181076

and UVAMINT's fountholder:

http://www.colemancollectorsforum.com/post/show_single_post?pid=1306106839&postcount=516&forum=181076

My wife wanted me to make a plain bench for the greenhouse so she could take a nap if needed. I cannot find the drive to make a bench you can buy anywhere in a constructionstore and I apparently also didnt know when to stop, but she likes it.

1, producing all the bits and pieces on my machinery rough in to shape.
2, cutting all the joints.
3, measure and see for real how it will appear.
4, carving all the garnish and frame it in.
5, making the seatback and the slant supports and fit the corners.
6, Carve the rest of the garnish and glue/screw the lot together

,Now I just need the top-seat, as I made the bottom-floor finished today and glued the seat from 2 pieces of pine today, 2 inch thick, as the spann is 235 cm, and the bench is ment for 5 people.

So soon grinding and paint.
Thanks
Greatdane

“Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only pressurelamps can do that”. 
outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

GD, That bench is Incredible!

My new camp box is making progress finally. 3 days ago I did the finger jointing on the sides, bottom, and top of the camp box I'm building. I did the glue ups of the panels out of 2" oak flooring a month or two ago. I tried to the day before, , but the finger joint fixture needed the key re-glued... ðŸ˜

Then two days ago I went to get some parts for the extended fence I needed to build for the tiny 1935 T saw I'm using so I can cut the dados for the center wall. (two sided box) I may make something to go off this fence for the close work fence, since I don't have the actual fence for this saw...

The saw table is only about 11 X 14"... 😁

Yesterday finger jointing continued, or I should say the follow on work continued: I had to stop and build that extension fence for this diminutive 1936 Craftsman T-saw, so I could dado the center panel and shelf slots in the glued up and finger jointed sides and top. Then last night I tried to get a part for an extended miter, but could not find a 5/8" wide bar of anything.

So tonight I just used the fence and had to reset it 6 times accurately for the shelf Dados. If they were full width I could have setup 3 times and not been too worried about them not matching but its plenty good across >12"

Finger jointed and Dadoed Sides, bottom, and 1/2 top (the other half is a lid...)

Fingerjointing.jpg

And I also cut the shelves and center panel. this is ALL recycled wood, 2" oak flooring for the sides, top and bottom and old plywood paneling for the center panel and shelves. The outer doors front and rear will also be the paneling.

Panel and Shelves.jpg

Glue-up may start tonight, or maybe a fresh start tomorrow as this will be a complicated job with 5 interlocking pieces.
[Logo%20Outlaw-half] 

greatdane

Post by greatdane »

Thanks Outlaw.
I would like to see your setup for making those nice fingerjointings. They must be very precise in that scale you do.
I have plans for making storingboxes fingerjointet to contain lamps and fingerjointing could make the box more slim, but despite all my woodworking XP, then I never came to the fingerjointing and how to make the setup.
Photos please 👍
Thanks
Greatdane

“Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only pressurelamps can do that”. 
outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

NP GD!

I made this fixture almost two years ago for the first pair of boxes I made; One for a box for two lanterns and a stove, that converted to a table and the second for a "pantry" for on top of the table. The pic shows I had to make 4 try's to get it right. The spacing has to be right! The wood "Key" fits the first cut snugly, and you just step through for each cut. I stack the material so the tow parts should match closer. (Only one mock-up part shown for pic purposes)

The trick is getting the initial offset for the first cut which on;y slots one piece. After that its just cut, back out, reset, cut, back out, reset... - Suggestion: make the key extra long and save a piece to use as a spacer for initial cut setup

Fixture fixed.jpg

The "Dado Blade" is actually 2 new stacked carbide blades. the one in the middle is offset a half tooth. It happened to make a cut exactly 1/4" wide. Yhis has been a good size for the almost 1/2" thick oak pallet slats I used for the boxes 2 years ago, and for the not quite 1/4" oak flooring I used this time. This has also been VERY handy for the 1/4" ply I generally use for this type of project!

I just have to adjust the cut depth for the thickness plus some I belt sand off.

The older boxes:

Cases.jpg

A Mock up piece, yet to have the extra sanded off.:

First Finger joint.jpg

More pics of this years box to come!
[Logo%20Outlaw-half] 

Stan_D

Post by Stan_D »

No pics, but I earned my A&P last night. My son had a mishap with his drone a few weeks back. He got the needed parts, and I thought he could do the repairs without the old mans help. It seems the old man was wrong. Around the third explosion of expletives, I took over. Seems that he crimped a harness on a new part. I ended up swapping the harness from the bad part, and managed to reassemble it, despite not being the guy who took it apart.

And no parts left over!
Einstein, when describing radio said "Wire telegraph is like a very long cat. You pull his tail in NY and he meows in LA. And radio works the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat."
greatdane

Post by greatdane »

Thanks for showing Outlaw.
The doubleblade and the key to lock each time is nice and I will use the trick when needed. I guess it would be nice to have all the pieces ready from start so no interruption as using the saw for other things will find place in between.
Thanks
Greatdane

outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

Great Dane, the Blade is actually a triple, (and there is no "magic about the 1/4" it happened to be, but its handy for other things!) and for me the miter became dedicated, as I have several for this (pick them up at yardsales if I see orphans cheap (I have miters that I don't have tools they fit...) I won't take it apart unless I have to, but even if I did, the screws that hold the wood on are counter sunk so very nearly a "pin"
[Logo%20Outlaw-half] 

greatdane

Post by greatdane »

Finally I got the bench done. I made the bottom out of thin wooden planks and the lid/seat out of 2 inch thick pine. The seat was lowered using a router so the seat appeared thinner but inside the bench, the storeroom, it was 2 inch still and had the strength to carry 5 persons without giving in for the pressure.
As only the sides and the front of the seat is supported by the frame, I attached 3 hinges back to push back if the seat should think of bending down just a little too much.
Then a little paint, and fasten the seathinges to the frame and voila the cat could sleep on again.
We did try to paint the roserank with colours, and it looked nice in a way. That is if you was about to sit on the bench in the enchanted wood feeding your unicorn with daffodils and violets, so we quickly turned it back to clean white.
My wife is happy and I was allowed to buy 4 lamps ?
Thanks
Greatdane

outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

GREAT job finishing that bench GD!
[Logo%20Outlaw-half] 

outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

Catching up on the Box project (post completing it and using it on one trip!)
Took all the glued up and finger jointed panels and glued then up at the finger joints:

Camp Box Glueup.jpg

Fingers glued but not Sanded off:

fingers.jpg

Lantern and fuel mockup

Mockup1.jpg

Pantry mockup:

Mockup2.jpg
[Logo%20Outlaw-half]